Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like they finally decided to try stupid prices in the UK, Tiger & Bunny is being released in a BD/DVD combi set for £28 per 7 episodes, so that'd be the equivalent of $180 for the whole thing if they stretch it to four sets. :shepicide:

Edit: Looking around it seems it's a limited collectors edition with a vanilla release 'likely' later. Hmm.

Man, no wonder no-one wants to release Bluray's here though, apparently Madoka sold like 700 copies in the first two weeks. :smith:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, no wonder no-one wants to release Bluray's here though, apparently Madoka sold like 700 copies in the first two weeks. :smith:

Really? and didn't you guys have the sanely priced ones?

Apparently the Madoka super duper priced LE's were the most popular items here among the 3 options they gave. So maybe anime fans were angry they just weren't spending enough money?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So while looking through CD Japan I found this.

The product specifications are off (123 minutes?) but the description makes it sound like it's an Ideon blu-ray release.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VTXF-61

Here's hoping it's the real thing.

Also wondering if they'll announce Brain Powerd to go along with Ideon and Overman King Gainer, so that you can get the ultimate Tomino experience in HD for both better and worse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

That's their own drat fault as far as I'm concerned. Manga have trained consumers to never trust in a Blu Ray release as there's always this small off chance that they might not continue the series in the format.

In other words, Kaze should pay no heed to how well Madoka does except to give thier mule consolation as it's being bought up into Kaze operations and we finally have a company that comes close to not being utterly batshit insane in the UK.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Also wondering if they'll announce Brain Powerd to go along with Ideon and Overman King Gainer, so that you can get the ultimate Tomino experience in HD for both better and worse.

gently caress that, where's Turn-A? (Ideon is cool obviously though.)

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's their own drat fault as far as I'm concerned. Manga have trained consumers to never trust in a Blu Ray release as there's always this small off chance that they might not continue the series in the format.

While I will hate them forever for pulling this poo poo not once but multiple times, Madoka was the entire series in one box so unless people have been put off buying anything at all on bluray I don't know how much of an effect that would have had.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would be curious to know how many dvd / BR sales are to 'hardcore fans' versus casual off the shelf viewers, and if my theory is correct exactly how many people who have never heard of Madoka would ever pick it up based on the premise alone (that being, on the face of it, a magical girl anime).

Not knowing about it ahead of time there is no loving way I would have picked it up at Best Buy or something. I'm not saying it's a bad cover or box it's just a difficult concept to market direct to consumers, as opposed to what I assume are much better numbers via online streamers where someone can catch an episode and go 'hey this is cool' as opposed to buying a box set practically blind.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

The Gundam blu-ray releases haven't actually done that well. Out side of SEED HD the best selling one was the Char's Counterattack half price edition. Not counting 00 because it came out when bluray was starting. The problem is that everything gundam got a DVD in the early 2000s then the popular series again in '07 then again everything in '10/'11 with the G-Selection DVD sets. Japan may be old Gundam'd out.

They're probably going to work though the BD sets the same way they did the G-Selection sets. Which is production order. So Victory, G, Wing, X then Turn A with the OVAs last.

So uh... 2014 at the earliest? Maybe.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Guyver posted:

The Gundam blu-ray releases haven't actually done that well. Out side of SEED HD the best selling one was the Char's Counterattack half price edition. Not counting 00 because it came out when bluray was starting. The problem is that everything gundam got a DVD in the early 2000s then the popular series again in '07 then again everything in '10/'11 with the G-Selection DVD sets. Japan may be old Gundam'd out.

They're probably going to work though the BD sets the same way they did the G-Selection sets. Which is production order. So Victory, G, Wing, X then Turn A with the OVAs last.

So uh... 2014 at the earliest? Maybe.

Except for the fact that The 08th MS Team comes out on Blu-ray in February.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Completely forgot about that. Welp. Whatever it'll be out when it's out. I still think it'll be the last of the TV series out.

Mayo_Zedong
Nov 6, 2006

hai
Tenchi Muyo! OVA 1&2 are coming to Blu-Ray along with all 3 movies.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenchi-Muyo-Series-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B009B82EZ6/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Tenchi-Muyo-Movie-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B009B82F6Y/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_y

And for those of you that are confused as to how the movie and OVA fit in with everything here's a chart:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 6, 2014

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Awesome, I haven't seen the movies in forever. I hope they do Universe too, I always liked it more than Muyo.

They just recently released a DVD-only set of Universe, and I don't think even Japan has gotten a BD release, so sadly we probably have little to no chance of getting that on BD here. I feel the same way about Universe (probably because it was ~my first series~) and wish it'd get the same treatment.

Of course, that hasn't stopped me from ordering the OVAs. :v:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Absolutely loved tenchi in love ever since I first saw it on Sci-fi way back. Is that OVA the one they played on cartoon network? I have almost no knowledge of the series itself so I'm slightly confused by the chart.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They aired OVAs 01 and 02, the Universe series and the Tokyo series back to back on Toonami back in 2000.

The OVAs never really leave Tenchi's house for long the Universe series becomes more of a space adventure series.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And Tenchi in Tokyo is terrible.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember trying to wrap my head around the tokyo series but I only saw a few episodes and quickly gave up. I never saw universe, and it sounds like I should fix that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Having watched all three of them when Cartoon Network showed them I will say that if you're in hell and must watch a Tenchi series, Tenchi Universe is the one you should select.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I enjoyed most of Tenchi Universe, but I remember 16 or 17 year old me found the ending awful. It builds up to a big fight, then has Tenchi and the king or whatever stare at each other before dreaming about some trees and then the king gives up. I might try and find the original OVAs again at some point though, haven't seen 'em since Cartoon Network and I do remember enjoying those. Cabbits are cute, Ryoka and Washu were pretty cool and I like the mechanized tree things the princess used as bodyguards while the hand-generated lightsabers looked sweet and they had at least one or two decent fights without over-staying their welcome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember looking forward to the third OVA for many years :negative:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

While I will hate them forever for pulling this poo poo not once but multiple times, Madoka was the entire series in one box so unless people have been put off buying anything at all on bluray I don't know how much of an effect that would have had.
The Movies might have some play in it; "Oh no, I'm not buying the show on BR only to have the movies be on DVD only"

Or, like I said, people could have imported the Aniplex US Disks.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 1, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just a heads up to people who like to look for stuff for cheap.

Rightstuf having their 12 days of Christmas sale where they heavily discount stuff and there's some Blu-Rays on there for ridiculously cheap (REDLINE Blu-Ray for 10$, no reason not to buy it)

Due to demand they also extended their Black Friday sale they were having.

It's only day 6 of the Christmas sale and usually on the last day a ton of stuff drops. So keep an eye out

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I remember looking forward to the third OVA for many years :negative:

Yeah that was a pretty crippling blow.

I always enjoyed the first couple OVAs most, Uni second, and then Muyo in Love.

The only thing the third OVA brought to the table was a bunch of new crap, and really no resolutions to the old crap, and also Achika is a way better mom then that weirdo they made up for the OVA.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yep. Only good thing OVA 3 brought to the table was the Omake where Sasami had to do the Game Of Death thing, yellow jumpsuit and all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Did anyone get the new Lain boxset? Just curious for goon reviews on it and opinions.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

Did anyone get the new Lain boxset? Just curious for goon reviews on it and opinions.

Yes, I've only seen the first episode of it though.

If you're asking about the quality of it. This is pretty much general consensus: It's an improvement over the geneon discs, however, they're not on par with the Japanese release. There's an issue with banding (present in the Japanese release) that is made much more noticeable in the Funimation release because the black colour levels got messed up. Everything was considerably more brightened up.

It still looks amazing, and if you're not a huge videophile you probably won't give a care about it, but there are people who do find it a legit issue.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never understood how it's possible for Japanese and US releases to have different encodes. I mean I'm pretty sure I know why it happens (give the US folks worse masters to discourage reverse importing), but it's so incredibly silly when any scrub with a computer should be able to rip the video files and slap on some subs and menus and alternate audio tracks.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Escaflowne was released on BD in Japan, right? Have any comparison screenshots found their way onto the net?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

I've never understood how it's possible for Japanese and US releases to have different encodes. I mean I'm pretty sure I know why it happens (give the US folks worse masters to discourage reverse importing), but it's so incredibly silly when any scrub with a computer should be able to rip the video files and slap on some subs and menus and alternate audio tracks.

From ANN's Justin Sevakis (who has worked on creating authoring Blu-Ray discs for NISA)

Justin Sevakis posted:

As for what happened here, I can only guess. This could be as simple as a configuration mistake when the master tapes were captured or cloned in Japan. Black levels are also nowhere near as set in stone as fans seem to think they are -- Japanese NTSC spec puts it at 10 IRE higher than North American equipment, but in HD some masters follow that spec and some don't. Sometimes American gear is used by Japanese companies, adding effects that hit American black levels while the rest of the show has Japanese black levels. I can't tell you how much pain and headache that causes US distros.

Someone does need to go up the production chain and figure out what happened, but I do not think it's the compression itself. Bad or bitrate-starved AVC compression can result in banding, but it doesn't look like that -- the edges aren't so sharp, they look more dithered than what we see here. I couldn't recreate this effect with a copy of Adobe Media Encoder (the crappiest BD-compliant encoder I've used) if I tried, and the gear Funi has is orders of magnitude better than that.

And remember, if the source material is already screwed, any compression you add to it can only make it look the same or worse. So no, more bandwidth wouldn't have helped even slightly.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I dunno, simple or not it seems like it should be a whole mess of people's jobs to make sure that poo poo doesn't get hosed up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, but why even bother with the masters? One company has already done the Masters->BD process, it would save time/money/effort to just literally copy the digital files over. Just call up Geneon, ask to borrow their BDs for a bit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, but why even bother with the masters? One company has already done the Masters->BD process, it would save time/money/effort to just literally copy the digital files over. Just call up Geneon, ask to borrow their BDs for a bit.

This is hilariously reminiscent of Tokyopop's "buy manga, microwave it apart, scan, and put in English text" approach to manga translation and distribution.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Time of Eve is officially available in U.S and Europe on Blu-Ray with English subtitles through the official site http://www.timeofeve.com/e/

For such a short series though, it's gonna hurt the wallet as it's priced at 50$ + shipping, but I'm also assuming this is going straight to the creators since it's offered directly from the Time of Eve website. So gotta decide what works for you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Is Spirited Away ever going to come out on BluRay?

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

scary ghost dog posted:

Is Spirited Away ever going to come out on BluRay?

Yes. In fact, it's been broadcast in HD already (in Japan, at least). So have Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns. Ghibli is just pacing themselves by releasing two movies every quarter or so, so as not to flood the market. Kiki's Delivery Service and Only Yesterday came out in Japan last week. US releases tend to follow after several months to a year, although there was less of a lag with Grave of the Fireflies, possibly because it's licensed by someone other than Disney.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
I wouldn't count on seeing Only Yesterday for much the same reason.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Time of Eve is officially available in U.S and Europe on Blu-Ray with English subtitles through the official site http://www.timeofeve.com/e/

For such a short series though, it's gonna hurt the wallet as it's priced at 50$ + shipping, but I'm also assuming this is going straight to the creators since it's offered directly from the Time of Eve website. So gotta decide what works for you.

Is this just a currency thing or are the shipping options limited to only addresses within the northern hemisphere?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Is this just a currency thing or are the shipping options limited to only addresses within the northern hemisphere?

Not sure what you're asking really, but unless you live in Canada/US or Europe, you're hosed and they won't ship to you. That's why I wrote U.S and Europe to begin with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amine Limited a new UK based anime distributor has announced that their first acquisition is Cowboy Bebop on DVD AND Blu-Ray. No word on whether that includes the movie or not yet, but it's still great news.
Haven't mentioned pricing either, but they said at the start they're going for something in between the super-high collectors market and the throw everything onto as few discs as possible cheap approach.

Edit: Apparently Sony still has the rights to the movie, but they're looking into it.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 22, 2012

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Macross Plus comes out in Japan on BD June 21. Includes the OVA and the movie version. No subs, but it does have the dub.
Amazon.co.jp

The old Yamato movies from the 70s/80s are also coming to BD over the course of next year, starting in April. For some odd reason Farewell is first (I guess because it was kicked out of the canon by the 2nd season?)
Amazon.co.jp
CDJapan
From the description it looks like they're leaving the alternate ending off Final Yamato (it was included on some versions of the DVD).

edit: EndingS. Apparently there are at least three versions. Spoilers, obviously.

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Apparently Gurren Lagann is getting a BR release in Japan at the end of June, for ¥ 63,000.

£500 for an upresed show.

Shine on, Japan, you Crazy Diamond.

• Locked thread