Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Tried out the JamUp Pro XT app after getting it for $5 when it was on sale, and it's pretty decent so far. Compared to Ampkit, dealing with turning pedals on and off is easier as you just drag them up or down to add them to/bump them off of/change positions in the effects chain overview. There's large preset selection pads that let you change patches like a multi effects stomp and it's really easy to go through banks and patches. You have a Factory bank plus three custom banks of 16 patches each, 4 shown at a time and you swipe left/right to the next set. This is something Ampkit has been severely lacking:argh:, and is reason alone to possibly consider Jamup over Ampkit.

The controls are all visual, and you tweak the knobs on a pedal rather than using sliders, which is kinda nice though maybe less accurate. There's a looper included too, though without an actual pedal, it's kind of hard to hit at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Hello guitar thread. I want to know why people still agonize over the type of wood that goes into their electric guitar bodies and fretboards? Why the size of their headstock matters. Why the size of their frets matters? In general, why is there so much superstitious nonsense that floats around musicians in 2012? Or do I read too many guitar reviews?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
While not as big of a deal as the pickups and amp, the timber an electric guitar's made of is still going to affect the sound of the instrument enough that you can have a preference without being someone who needs period correct pickguard screws because of how they affect your sick tonez. Fretboard can kind've affect your sound too (generally a small affect on the attack of a picked note) but people care because they like the way one wood looks over another. I think maple fretboards are cool as hell and I want a guitar with one because I want a maple fretboard. Headstock size is also really a preference thing though, and fret size is actually probably a lot more reasonable than other things here because that's going to greatly affect how the instrument feels. I get the sense you read a lot of Fender reviews or something.

Anyway most of the superstitious bullshit that floats around, and there is definitely a lot of it, is due to people not really challenging it and confirmation bias. There's not a need for a scientific method when you pick up a guitar, think it sounds pretty rad, and attribute it to some insignificant quality that you've read from a million other people attributing it to. It's the same reason all superstitions that stick around do stick around - no one challenges it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Fretboard feel also changes depending on the wood. I find rosewood to be much more friendly to my fingers than maple. Others feel differently.

Headstock... Well, there's three things about the headstock that can affect the guitar.

A: Weight. I believe that changing the weight of the headstock can shift the nodes on the guitar up and down, since you're changing the mass of the neck which is the main resonating body. I've seen it demonstrated with heavy clay by a professional.

B: Angle. If you angle a headstock, you don't need string trees for a proper break over the nut. On the other hand, then you get Gibson Breaking. My Canvas has an angled headstock, and it's surprisingly good.

C: Machine Angle. Straight line to the tuner gives longer sustain, I've found.

Technically, there's D:, 'balance of guitar', and E: 'chance for everything to break when you whack it into something stupidly.'

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

I think it mostly comes down to the guitar player's comfortability. While ninety-five percent of players may be okay with a certain wood used on the fret board for example, that other five may find it interferes with their playing style or technique. If you've ever played a guitar with a satin finish you'll know what I mean.

But I've actually never thought of most of it as superstition - I took it for granted and assumed the experts knew what they were doing, especially with all those legendary preferences out there. Maybe if I use a basswood/maple combination I can play like Eddie too! That being said I have picked up electrics with embarassing disdain that are supposed to have the "perfect combination". There's gotta be some middle ground here somewhere.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bolek posted:

Hello guitar thread. I want to know why people still agonize over the type of wood that goes into their electric guitar bodies and fretboards? Why the size of their headstock matters. Why the size of their frets matters? In general, why is there so much superstitious nonsense that floats around musicians in 2012? Or do I read too many guitar reviews?

Everything about a guitar effects the way it sounds but the most noticeable differences are in the body/neck woods. It's really all about a sense of feel for everything else. It's kinda something that just takes time and experience to develop. A shitload is still really superstitious because everyone in an old band of mine loved the way my backup guitar sounded, even though it was $150 guitar I bought new on ebay from a dorky little store/brand I read about in a magazine review, then just set it up the way I liked it and replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan JB. The quality of the construction of the guitar kinda sucked, the neck was kinda warped and had a few dead frets here and there, also I sorta broke parts of the bridge constantly when I was making adjustments. But hot drat did it sound decent and was real fun to play shows with because I didn't give a poo poo about damaging it. I think what evened out the shittyness of the guitar was that I was playing through my friend's old JCM800 at really high gains at the time but whatever.

So yeah, the type of wood matters but until you get to the experience level where you start to turn into the Ulillillia of guitar it's not a big deal. You'll know when you're at that level when you start doing stuff like documenting your EQ levels in a notebook that you keep in your amp.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
*pushes glasses up nose* i believe you'll find the 1290kHz boost found only in a maple neck with wenge fillets is vital to my sound guhuh

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
People obsess about that stuff because for many people it is a hobby that involves things you can buy. Golfers do it, car people do it, weight lifters do it, bikers do it, shooters do it, PC gamers do it.

It is just the natural order of things.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It's like rule 34. If a thing exists then someone, somewhere is sperging over it.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 1, 2012

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I was cutting vegetables last night and cut a chunk of my left index finger off. Do you guys have a way to cover your wounds such that you can continue to practice? I'd like to fret with my hand, but letting my index finger jut out feels like it's going to exacerbate bad habits.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've got a gross-rear end wart on my left index finger that won't go away, so I cover it up with these compound W pads and bandages that are really flexible and minimize pain. Still can't do barre chords with it though.

How bad's the cut and where is it at on the finger?

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Right where it would hit the string! Heh.

It's not so much about the pain. I just don't want to get gunky poo poo from the bandage all over the guitar.

I'll look into that sort of pad. Thanks for the heads-up.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
scanned through the last several pages but I didn't see anything along these lines:

I'm a bass player who is getting more and more into playing 6 string. I picked up an Agile a few weeks back, and now I need an amp. I'm mostly playing for fun, as I imagine any band projects I would get involved with would have me playing bass and not guitar. I'm looking into either a Roland Microcube or a Vox VT20+ or VT40+. Can anyone weigh in on these - is there a clear winner between the two? Also, would a VT40+ be way too loud for playing in an apartment?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

So I just put the GFS Fat Boy Telecaster set into my frankenTele, and I absolutely love them. Would recommend.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joe, how much you looking to spend? For the sub-hundred range, I recommend the Vox Mini3.
http://www.voxamps.com/mini3/

It'll give you maximum screwing around ability.

Hollis, do describe how they sound, compared to the old ones. I'm curious as to someone else's perspective.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Willing to spend up to $200 (preferably more like 160-170), new or used. Saw a couple VT40+s on CL for 150, so I figured price wasn't an issue for the 3 I listed.

I do want some versatility from the amp, but I've already got a few effect pedals that work well (playing through a dinky Squier SP-10), and I'm really just trying to get more skilled so I can help write music more often, so I definitely prefer a solid sound moreso than effects. Does the mini-3 sound as good as the lower VT+s?

edit: I should mention that I'm attracted to the Vox in particular because a friend had one of their practice amps several years ago, and I thought it was stellar. I don't think the partcular model is still around, but the VT looked reminiscent enough to make me think it was along the same lines.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 2, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does anyone here have a newer Indonesian Ibanez? I tried one at guitar center, and even with really dead strings it felt pretty good. That, and the fact the one I'm interested in came with DiMarzios stock is making me think of them a little more positively. I should've checked the frets more closely though. Don't know how those were.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Warcabbit posted:

Joe, how much you looking to spend? For the sub-hundred range, I recommend the Vox Mini3.
http://www.voxamps.com/mini3/

It'll give you maximum screwing around ability.

Hollis, do describe how they sound, compared to the old ones. I'm curious as to someone else's perspective.
Hotter than the old ones (I don't know what they were, they have copper bottoms though) Bridge is fatter than "stock" and the neck is much hotter and has more high end than the stock. They sort of sound like Tele pups mixed with texas specials.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

JoeRules posted:

Willing to spend up to $200 (preferably more like 160-170), new or used. Saw a couple VT40+s on CL for 150, so I figured price wasn't an issue for the 3 I listed.

I do want some versatility from the amp, but I've already got a few effect pedals that work well (playing through a dinky Squier SP-10), and I'm really just trying to get more skilled so I can help write music more often, so I definitely prefer a solid sound moreso than effects. Does the mini-3 sound as good as the lower VT+s?

edit: I should mention that I'm attracted to the Vox in particular because a friend had one of their practice amps several years ago, and I thought it was stellar. I don't think the partcular model is still around, but the VT looked reminiscent enough to make me think it was along the same lines.

The VT series are great starter amps, either would be good. The only issue is the 40 will be more expensive and probably still isn't loud enough to gig, so it depends how loud you want to practice.

You can always turn it down without losing anything but then you may feel the extra cash has been wasted and you could have gotten the smaller model.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I started reading the responses and getting confused why people were telling me why headstocks and fret boards matter and then I looked at my post and realized that I didn't actually ask what I wanted to ask.
My actual question was why do all those attributes get considered when talking about an electric guitars sound which is a string that only vibrates from the nut to the bridge over a transducer? Why would the wood, the tuner, the headstock, etc affect it besides maybe a few tenths of a second that resonance has over sustain?

Bolek fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 2, 2012

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The wood also vibrates a little bit. All those vibrations add up into desirable noise the same way a tube amp adds desirable noise with it's imperfect, vaguely nonlinear gain response.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
When a string is picked, the whole body and neck vibrate, which ends up feeding back into the string's vibration

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Bolek posted:

I started reading the responses and getting confused why people were telling me why headstocks and fret boards matter and then I looked at my post and realized that I didn't actually ask what I wanted to ask.
My actual question was why do all those attributes get considered when talking about an electric guitars sound which is a string that only vibrates from the nut to the bridge over a transducer? Why would the wood, the tuner, the headstock, etc affect it besides maybe a few tenths of a second that resonance has over sustain?

I used to have two drat near identical American strats. Both White, about two years apart from each other. The only real difference was that one had a rosewood neck and one had maple. They sounded completely different. First I sold the rosewood because I liked the way it looked better, than I realized that I actually liked the rosewood sound more and sold the maple. Now I have no strats. The point is, wood really makes a huge difference.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

HollisBrown posted:

I used to have two drat near identical American strats. Both White, about two years apart from each other. The only real difference was that one had a rosewood neck and one had maple. They sounded completely different. First I sold the rosewood because I liked the way it looked better, than I realized that I actually liked the rosewood sound more and sold the maple. Now I have no strats. The point is, wood really makes a huge difference.

The thing is, it is impossible to know if that is the only difference. Even a difference in distance from string to pickup can have a noticeable effect on how a particular guitar sounds.

A rosewood veneer on the neck is probably pretty far down the list of things that matter. The string string is hitting a fret on one end and a saddle on the other. Alternatively it is hitting a plastic nut on one end and a saddle on the other.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

There must be some audiophile nerds that have bothered to hook up an oscilloscope and did some tests on this. It's inconceivable that this information isn't out there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think most stereotypical audiophiles would have no idea how to even hold an actual instrument because they've never seen another human being in their life because that's really funny and they're lovely idiots with bags of dumb rocks

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bolek posted:

There must be some audiophile nerds that have bothered to hook up an oscilloscope and did some tests on this. It's inconceivable that this information isn't out there.

There is apparently some college kid doing this right now.

There is some other stuff available online if you are bored enough to hook up the google and jam.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

cornface posted:

There is some other stuff available online if you are bored enough to hook up the google and jam.

Good god watch that video, I refuse to believe anything this guys has to say until he wears a respectable shirt and cuts that disgusting stringy hair. Also he used the word "guitarded". gently caress that.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

HollisBrown posted:

Good god watch that video, I refuse to believe anything this guys has to say until he wears a respectable shirt and cuts that disgusting stringy hair. Also he used the word "guitarded". gently caress that.

That isn't the guy doing the research project. You can tell because they have different names.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

cornface posted:

Haha, those comments. The WOOD bro, THE WOOD!!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

For a G chord is there any horrible disadvantage to fingering it with 234 fingers instead of 123? Because I just noticed I've been doing that.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

appropriatemetaphor posted:

For a G chord is there any horrible disadvantage to fingering it with 234 fingers instead of 123? Because I just noticed I've been doing that.

There are advantages to doing 234. For instance if you are going from a G to a D/F# it's much easier if you finger it 234 especially if you want to keep the D on the second string common between the 2. But really you should be able to play it both ways.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nah, it's cool in my book since you're using your pinky and I want more guitar people to not let their pinkies be completely useless.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Man I recently bought Ultimate-Guitar's iPod Touch apps, and the Tab Pro one is just fantastic. I've probably spent about 30 bucks so far on bands that I discovered with the Random Tab button. For some reason it has fantastic taste and gives me sweet bands I've never heard of.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I use all four fingers for a g chord because I hate that open b sound in it and add a d.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

YES. 320033 = Ultimate G.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah that does sound better, why does the stupid b stick out so much?

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Francostein posted:

Nah, it's cool in my book since you're using your pinky and I want more guitar people to not let their pinkies be completely useless.
:confused: how do people play in any scales at all without using the pinky?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Hydrolith posted:

:confused: how do people play in any scales at all without using the pinky?
Cheap answer: http://youtu.be/EYgCMJviD-E. Edit: Easiest to see from about 2:10-3:17.

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Pyrthas posted:

Cheap answer: http://youtu.be/EYgCMJviD-E. Edit: Easiest to see from about 2:10-3:17.

No disrespect to Grandmaster Reinhardt, but... why play with only your first three fingers like that?