Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I guess if I'm brave enough later I'll look into posting my own bird art.

Steve this morning was on the spiral hanging rope perch, I held up my hand and he flew over of his own accord to it-and promptly bit the poo poo out of my thumb, breaking the skin in two places :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

That look.

If this is indeed a completely wild bird, this might be my new favorite picture. Why do birds love keyboards?!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I finished my job at the zoo this week and had to say goodbye to Scarlett and Charlie. :( My wife'll never let me get a macaw. :(

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

auuuugh. he's ADORABLE.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I got my bird today!
A local guy had Conures who had a lot of babies, and the parents rejected two, which he hand fed. My bird still has the knobblies on on his beak so I need to still feed him egg meal from a syringe, but he looks like he will lose those soon. He's eating budgie seed and corn bits on his own. He was housed with his brother for the past little while, so he's not as tame as he could be, but he's very young. He is a little nippy, but will come up on my hand. I'm hoping he grows out of the nippiness. He seems to really love music, he stops his excessive preening and listens intently. I'm guessing he's preening a lot because he's just been separated from his brother. I did get him on my hand the once today, but after five minutes I gave him a break. I'm also not reacting to his nips, which are mildly painful.
He's making a little piggy grunting noise and clambering about.

When I get home I'll post some pictures!

Edit: He is a mixture, it is a mix between a black capped, a yellow sided and a maroon belly. He has a black head, green cheeks, and red on his tummy.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 1, 2012

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Since he's still a baby, he's benefiting from the fat and protein of the seed mix, but it's not a long-term food. But I'm sure you've already researched healthy adult diets, so instead: congratulations! :neckbeard:

Slowly conures are overtaking the derptiels. Our time is coming.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Congrats uglynoodles! Does he have a name yet? I can't wait to see what he looks like, he sounds pretty unique!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yay baby birds! :neckbeard:

uglynoodles posted:

Pyrrhura vocalizations are the cutest, little grunts and quacks and growls.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Zippy is awesome, you guys are awesome!

And co grants on the new birdy, uglynoodles, pics please!

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

uglynoodles posted:

Oh I didn't know you bought a quaker!!!!!(I know) This is all Finn does though. Makes little 'ruhruhruhruhruhruh' noises at me and purrs really low in his throat when he snuggles me or 'defends' me from Zomodok scritching his head. Love dat fat bird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

uglynoodles posted:

I got my bird today!
A local guy had Conures who had a lot of babies, and the parents rejected two, which he hand fed. My bird still has the knobblies on on his beak so I need to still feed him egg meal from a syringe, but he looks like he will lose those soon. He's eating budgie seed and corn bits on his own. He was housed with his brother for the past little while, so he's not as tame as he could be, but he's very young. He is a little nippy, but will come up on my hand. I'm hoping he grows out of the nippiness. He seems to really love music, he stops his excessive preening and listens intently. I'm guessing he's preening a lot because he's just been separated from his brother. I did get him on my hand the once today, but after five minutes I gave him a break. I'm also not reacting to his nips, which are mildly painful.

When I get home I'll post some pictures!

Edit: He is a mixture, it is a mix between a black capped, a yellow sided and a maroon belly. He has a black head, green cheeks, and red on his tummy.

As a conure he'll probably always be a little nippy, but he'll learn how much pressure is okay and not okay to apply when biting pretty fast. Congrats on your new addition! He sounds colourful :3:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

DA BURD. Sorry for low quality pictures, the lighting wasn't very good.
Like I said the fellow told me he is a mix of maroon belly, black capped, and yellow sided. He also has green cheeks.

On the way home!

We made a pit stop at my boyfriend's mum's house. (For dinner, also it was on the way, also she's the one who got me the bird -- my Christmas present! Jokes were made about wrapping him up and putting him under the tree.)

Snzzzz...

Finally at home. The back of the cage is up against the back of a couch, the front of it faces me at my desk. He seemed really curious about stuff, so I opened the top of the cage and set the perch out and allowed him to come out if he wanted.

Just as a note, that 'NOTICE OF ACTION PAY YOUR DEBTS FDHFDHSFJKDSHF' paper on top of my book is addressed to a previous tenant, not us. Apparently bailiffs are coming to break into our apartment and steal our poo poo despite me telling this company this loser doesn't live here. I DIGRESS. MORE BIRDS.

He eventually did come out, and after a brief fly around and explore I got him to come Up on the spare stick I have lying around several times. He sat with me on this stick for quite some time before hopping off and bobbling around on my keyboard and desk, putting his beak on everything and trying to scale both monitors. He sat on the modem and pecked at the blinking lights. He climbed around and tried to perch on the stiff wires I have behind my main laptop monitor -- including my USB Xbox360 controller.

Tomorrow we are going to pick up some toys and pellets to phase into his diet over time and stuff, I know his cage looks super bare right now. I also figure his cage not being cluttered with lots of scary new stuff might help for his first night.

As for names, my very first bird was a ghostly blue budgie called Ridley... And I'm thinking of naming this guy Ridley in honour of him. Also because Ridley from Metroid. Or Ripley.

Right now after a few more times of flying around and stepping Up onto the stick, I put him in his cage after a good bout of praising and covered it up with a blanket. Grumpy babies need sleep, I think. He's now crackling and zizzing his beak in there so that's a good sign. I saw him nab some seeds earlier, too.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Those are fantastic pictures and I loved all the commentary! The fact that he was willing to come out and explore on his first day home is a great sign, and good lord he's such a little beauty! :3: Keep us updated~

(edit: decided to break it into two posts)

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 2, 2012

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I will mention that he is VERY beaky... He's given me a couple pinches, one close to breaking the skin. I did not pull away or make a sound or react, I just let him bite me and continue what I was doing. Using the 'earthquake' method of shaking my hand seems to deter him though. I hope he grows out of this, his nips hurt!

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Conures learn what bite is too hard.

Then randomly decide to bite too hard.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah, conures are beaky little creatures, but they do learn quickly what's appropriate and what isn't. Amadeus never breaks my skin, but if he's feeling particularly neglected or churlish he'll tweak me hard enough for a reaction. Remember that their beak is their most succinct way of saying 'hello, I miss you' or 'hey! stop that!'

Once the bird bonds with you it's all right to let him know when he's hurting you. At the moment, though, your little guy is frightened and missing his brother, so it's an adjustment period for you both. :shobon:

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
My family and I visited a pet store today and they had the sweetest little Quaker named Lulu. She LOVED my mother - kept climbing over to kiss her on the nose. I wished I could take her home, but $450 plus toys and a large cage is just too rich for my blood. I plan to visit her when I can though, I have a great weakness for Quakers - especially affectionate ones. I do hope someone takes her home and gives her all the love she deserves though, what a little sweetie.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Today I put my face next to the bird cage and asked Birdy to give me a kiss. So she shuffled across her perch and gave me two kisses. :3: She is so funny. I love her.

e: Also, question. What are the chances of a budgie warming up to me as she gets older? She is already much better now than she was before, she never bites unless she is really frustrated at Marcel (other birdy) and I put my hand in the cage when she is territorial and she gets mad. She will go "up, up, up" and give kisses and begrudgingly tolerates being petted (for a brief time). I used to have a pet rat that was very friendly but never really wanted to be around me, she would never sit still on my shoulder or hang out with me unless I had good food, but then around 2 1/2 years old out of nowhere she would start sleeping on my shoulder for hours, all day if she could, she would immediately climb me to get under my ear as soon as she came out of the cage. Is there a chance my bird might get more affectionate as she gets older?

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 2, 2012

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

The Doctor posted:

Is there a chance my bird might get more affectionate as she gets older?

puberty is a hell of a bird-drug. I'm not really sure how it works with budgies but I do know that conures/quakers/other larger birds go through puberties that can range from changing 0 of their personality to making it do a whole 180. Nice birds becoming violent and aggressive or mean birds being super affectionate. It normally falls in the 'terrible twos' part of bird-life and lasts... a few months to years? iirc? Someone correct me if I'm getting this wrong but yes! There is a very good possibility that she will get more affectionate as she gets older. There is also, unfortunately, a very good possibility that she could get worse.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I think I'm gonna call him Ridley.
Today I prepared some formula, but he turned his back on me when I approached him with the syringe. Just in case, I reapproached him, but he turned his back on me again. That seems a pretty clear indication to me that he doesn't want any of that business.

I have not hand fed a bird before. Am I supposed to towel him to do it? I don't want him to become afraid of my hands though especially as he seems to have mastered 'Come Up' in a matter of minutes. We let open the cage top again and he had a toddle out and a fly. Every time he'd land somewhere higher than our heads, I'd go and retrieve him right away, alternating between using the stick perch and using my hand. He nibbled me a little bit but only very gently, and came up every time.

I had to put him home as we're going out. I really like this guy.
Right now I think he still wants to be out because he's climbing all over the cage like crazy.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

How old is he, and is he pecking at seeds? Usually breeders that sell young birds will advise you to continue handfeeding, but if his weight is consistent and he's eating stuff, it should be fine to stop if he doesn't want to eat baby formula.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

uglynoodles posted:

I think I'm gonna call him Ridley.
Today I prepared some formula, but he turned his back on me when I approached him with the syringe. Just in case, I reapproached him, but he turned his back on me again. That seems a pretty clear indication to me that he doesn't want any of that business.

I have not hand fed a bird before. Am I supposed to towel him to do it? I don't want him to become afraid of my hands though especially as he seems to have mastered 'Come Up' in a matter of minutes. We let open the cage top again and he had a toddle out and a fly. Every time he'd land somewhere higher than our heads, I'd go and retrieve him right away, alternating between using the stick perch and using my hand. He nibbled me a little bit but only very gently, and came up every time.

I had to put him home as we're going out. I really like this guy.
Right now I think he still wants to be out because he's climbing all over the cage like crazy.

:3: climbing all over like crazy is a conure thing, even if he might not want to come out, they still do it. Ritz spends more time hanging upside down from the top of his cage than he does on his perches :confuoot:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Uglynoodles, if your list of stuff to buy for your bird doesn't include some natural branch perches it should! Those dowel rod perches are really hard on birds, they need variety for their little feet. If those are too expensive and you have access to bird safe trees you can also just cut your own branches. I did that for my parakeets for years, it was great because they could just chew them all to pieces and I'd replace them as needed.

My current bird is in love with rope perches, you could try some of those too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Don't mind my ugly mug, but what happens when you bring a fresh bowl of cold water over to replace poopy water?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT88B0dufr0

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

My lovebirds are having their bi-monthly mating marathon. The knowledge that my birds are doing it three feet behind my head is slightly distracting as I work. Dio makes little "eh eh eh" noises as he... does his thing. :gonk:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Lovebirds are such horndogs.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boobs + shirt make a super cozy nest apparently, Ritz does that with my girlfriend haha.

Unrelated:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I woke up this morning and Ridley was dead.
I've had him for a day.
I just don't know what I did wrong.

I followed the instructions. I saw him eating and drinking. I made sure the room was warm. I must have done something wrong. I don't know what to do.

The guy who sold him to us won't give us our money back, either. So it looks like I killed my only Christmas present. :(

His little form is still there on the bottom of the cage but I can't bring myself to go and pick him up. Jesus Christ I'm a wreck. I've had him a day.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 3, 2012

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh god, I'm so sorry. :( Not sure what else to say. Sometimes things happen and you were obviously going to be a good owner.

Taking him to the vet for an autopsy can possibly tell you if there was something wrong with him, if you can handle that. Alarm bells are ringing somewhat about the seller, they're "supposed" to usually have a 24/48/etc hour guarantee period, and that he won't give you your money back makes me wonder a bit.

Did you perhaps have anything with teflon being used around him?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

We have no teflon products and ate dinner at a friend's house last night so there was no cooking going on. He was fine last night and sat with me, I couldn't get him off my hands. He really wanted to sit with me and let me scratch his head. He was pretty alert this whole time except for when he wanted to nap.

He didn't seem to want any formula and just kept pecking at his seeds every now and then. I tried twice to feed him the formula with syringe as instructed. I was going out to buy extra apples and more fruit for him today.

Maybe I should have forcefed him?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Just so we're clear, he's not sleeping on his back is he? If not, I'm so sorry :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

uglynoodles posted:

We have no teflon products and ate dinner at a friend's house last night so there was no cooking going on. He was fine last night and sat with me, I couldn't get him off my hands. He really wanted to sit with me and let me scratch his head. He was pretty alert this whole time except for when he wanted to nap.

He didn't seem to want any formula and just kept pecking at his seeds every now and then. I tried twice to feed him the formula with syringe as instructed. I was going out to buy extra apples and more fruit for him today.

Maybe I should have forcefed him?

He wouldn't have starved in that time, so no, you did fine there. TBH I wonder if it's an issue with his birds the seller knows about, as he won't give you your money back after one day.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

No. He's on the bottom of the cage on his belly with his eyes wide open and feathers tight against his body. I can't bring myself to move him yet. I just can't. He wasn't interested in the formula. He kept walking away from the syringe. I'm guessing starvation was really the only thing I could have done wrong as he wasn't into the formula, but he was going at the seeds. The breeder was just a private guy off a site kind of like Craigslist. He is pretty insistent that the bird has been consistently healthy and I believe him. He gave me the syringe and formula and told me what to do.

He was 11 weeks old.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:( So sorry to hear that uglynoodles. I agree with the above that there's something up with the seller since he was active when you got him. Hopefully he'll at least get you another bird, or refund you some of your money, just for having to go through that trauma.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I'm so sorry uglynoodles, it sounds like you weren't the cause of his death to me. :( I'm gonna have to agree with the other posters though, something seems fishy about the whole ordeal. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought smaller conures tended to be weaned around 8-9weeks old. I wonder why he was still being hand fed.

The breeder really should give you your money back. I'm not sure how much effort you want to put into it, but maybe if you tell him that you are definitely NOT going to recommend him to others might change his tune a little.

^^^^ Edit to add: Personally, I would not get another bird from this guy. Maybe if he was immediately willing to work with you to either refund your money or replace the bird, but his reaction is a pretty bad sign IMO. I think it's also a bad sign that he would sell a not-completely-weaned bird.

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 3, 2012

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

If you wanted to go down that route, and took him to the vet for a necropsy (used wrong word above, hurf), depending on results you could use that to determine whether it was an issue with the seller's stock or not (if it was genetic, if he was raised poorly, etc). Though equally it may not tell you anything useful.

What did you tell the seller, and how did they respond to you? If Ohtori had died soon after we got him I know the ones who raised him would want to know about it, if only so they could keep an eye on his brothers.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I don't think he's really selling them as a business.
He had some conures who reproduced and weren't feeding two of the young, so he hand fed them. Both birds looked well.

He won't give me the brother who is healthy as he says he's been reserved by someone else, and says he won't give me back my money because the one I took was still being hand fed. He says he'd have given me back my money if it had been the other one who died so fast.

I really wanted this bird. I could only have one Christmas present this year, and he was it. I feel like I'm just going to cry forever. My boyfriend's family is out £90 and I have a dead bird.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Jesus, I'm so so sorry.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

uglynoodles posted:

I don't think he's really selling them as a business.
He had some conures who reproduced and weren't feeding two of the young, so he hand fed them. Both birds looked well.

He won't give me the brother who is healthy as he says he's been reserved by someone else, and says he won't give me back my money because the one I took was still being hand fed. He says he'd have given me back my money if it had been the other one who died so fast.

I really wanted this bird. I could only have one Christmas present this year, and he was it. I feel like I'm just going to cry forever. My boyfriend's family is out £90 and I have a dead bird.

I'm so sorry. :( I'm not a birdy pro like some people here but reading what happened it sounds like it couldn't possibly have been your fault and you should not feel guilty. Based on what you say about the breeder he sounds horribly insensitive. The birdy could have had any problems even if he appeared healthy, he could have had a seizure or maybe his heart just stopped. I'm so sorry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
:sympathy:

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a small consolation, but I bet that little guy had the best day with you. He received more love and attention than many birds I meet, and that he could know someone so caring was a blessing.