Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Latency maybe?

Also my aunt in Lewisville has Time Warner and it is congested as gently caress, especially in the evenings. on holidays it becomes almost unusable. FIOS is way better, too bad Verizon has ceased all new expansion plans for FIOS and signed non-compete agreements with the cable companies.

Anyway, you may see slightly slower LTE speeds in congested areas as they are only using one carrier right now. That will improve when the rollout is mostly complete and they start switching 3G carriers over to LTE.

On and the DFW estimated completion date is back in 2013, it had slipped to 2015 for a while there. They must have cleared up the equipment issues. Gee, I wonder why a vendor would be slow to ship orders to a struggling wireless carrier, then suddenly have no problem shipping equipment when said carrier gets an uncle moneybags (SoftBank)? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A week or two ago I went into a Sprint store to get the touchscreen on my 3D replaced. Now my phone gets blistering hot when I charge it off the wall and drains the battery alarmingly quickly. 10 hours of no activity to go from 100% to 1%. They didn't replace it either, so I am not sure why this problem suddenly cropped up on a 1.5 year old phone.

Calling *2 got nothing but "No TEP, sucks to be you". Is there anything I can do besides chuck this and buy a replacement phone? Not upgrade eligible until May.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Ender.uNF posted:

Latency maybe?

Shouldn't a hardwired copper connection have less latency than a congested wireless network?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

A week or two ago I went into a Sprint store to get the touchscreen on my 3D replaced. Now my phone gets blistering hot when I charge it off the wall and drains the battery alarmingly quickly. 10 hours of no activity to go from 100% to 1%. They didn't replace it either, so I am not sure why this problem suddenly cropped up on a 1.5 year old phone.

Calling *2 got nothing but "No TEP, sucks to be you". Is there anything I can do besides chuck this and buy a replacement phone? Not upgrade eligible until May.

Did they update the software or something? Either way the 3D can get hot, take it back to the store, try and duplicate it and have them swap it for $35. If Offer you a better phone to swap out to (no guarantees, usually they can't) by god take it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Duckman2008 posted:

Did they update the software or something?

It had ICS on it already when I took it in, though on your suggestion I did try to update the software just a few moments ago. I was able to pull down a Profile update, and I tried updating the PRL as well. I guess I'll try and see if this helps the issue at all. If not tomorrow I'll go to the store and have them look at it again.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Can the Note 2 roam on GSM carriers internationally or domestically? Can I go into a Sprint store and upgrade now with a SERO-P (Wimax) plan to this phone or do I have to do it online?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Note 2 is listed as one of Sprint's "Worldmode" phones, so it should work internationally. Getting it to work on GSM domestically would probably involve unlocking it and coping with 2G at best speeds.

You'll need to call either of these numbers to get your plan changed:

Employee Care at 888-603-7981
SERO/EPRP: 866-264-1282

Note: Don't call from the phone on the line that's getting its plan changed.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I just don't think I can justify keeping a phone number, even if it is for 50 dollars a month. My Evo 3d is linked to my google voice, I wonder if I put my account on a hiatus if google voice will continue to work. Or if I should cancel the whole thing and port my number to google voice in an official fashion.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

atomicvocabulary posted:

Can the Note 2 roam on GSM carriers internationally or domestically? Can I go into a Sprint store and upgrade now with a SERO-P (Wimax) plan to this phone or do I have to do it online?

The Note 2 can roam internationally, but the key is you cannot access the SIM. So your only option is sprint roaming rates. Aka it's really not worth it unless its a very short international trip.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Apparently I'm in someone's dream or maybe I'm just homeless and imagined that apartment.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Well it seems we have 4G over on the University of Maryland College Park campus. Must have been activated overnight or something. Strong signal as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

0.07 Mbps Down
0.04 Mbps Up

Good God. :stare:

It took me about 15 minutes to load the forums app just post this.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Can a Sprint employee intimately familiar with Sprint's billing practices explain how the billing cycle and bill date coincide? It was my understanding that Sprint actually bills for the month in advance, rather than after the billing cycle.

In my case, my cycle runs Nov 3 - Dec 2. Bill was generated on Nov 6 and is due by Nov 26. As I understand it, the bill I paid Oct 26 was actually paying for Nov 3 - Dec 2 in advance, and the bill due Nov 26 (generated Nov 6) is paying for Dec 3 - Jan 2 in advance, along with any overages from the previous cycle Oct 3 - Nov 2.

So if I cancel service on Dec 2, I should get a full credit of the bill I paid Nov 26 as it was paying for Dec 3- Jan 2.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I think this is the last time I ever trust a Sprint affiliate store. Ordered the 28th and I'm still waiting on my phone.

My brother ordered two phones on the 29th and they are already here. WHAT loving GIVES.

I'm kind of ticked that I have no idea when my phone comes in, no idea where it is, and that I hung around an extra hour to get the order done when my brother did his in ten minutes at home and has his poo poo already.

averox fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 30, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

I think this is the last time I ever trust a Sprint affiliate store. Ordered the 28th and I'm still waiting on my phone.

My brother ordered two phones on the 29th and they are already here. WHAT loving GIVES.

I'm kind of ticked that I have no idea when my phone comes in, no idea where it is, and that I hung around an extra hour to get the order done when my brother did his in ten minutes at home and has his poo poo already.

That does suck. Best I can offer you is to call the person you ordered it from, he can at least pull up the UPS shipping numbers for you. What sucks is that if it didn't come today you won't be seeing it until after the weekend since its UPS.

Edit: Goku Chewbacca I think you are right there, honestly the best bet is to call retentions and talk to them to see. They have final say and what they say will be correct.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

goku chewbacca posted:

Can a Sprint employee intimately familiar with Sprint's billing practices explain how the billing cycle and bill date coincide? It was my understanding that Sprint actually bills for the month in advance, rather than after the billing cycle.

In my case, my cycle runs Nov 3 - Dec 2. Bill was generated on Nov 6 and is due by Nov 26. As I understand it, the bill I paid Oct 26 was actually paying for Nov 3 - Dec 2 in advance, and the bill due Nov 26 (generated Nov 6) is paying for Dec 3 - Jan 2 in advance, along with any overages from the previous cycle Oct 3 - Nov 2.

So if I cancel service on Dec 2, I should get a full credit of the bill I paid Nov 26 as it was paying for Dec 3- Jan 2.

The bill you receive during a billing period is the bill for that period. So the bill that generate on Nov 6th was to pay for service for the billing cycle of Nov 3 - Dec 2. They are billing the month that you are about to use, they just don't make you pay for a few weeks.

If you cancel Dec 2nd you will receive no credit.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
So 4G isn't officially released in DC yet, but the speeds are pretty awesome (I get full bars in my apartment): http://imgur.com/JvOQ3 (the first three were to a server in Colorado or something, so ignore those)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

nemotrm posted:

So 4G isn't officially released in DC yet, but the speeds are pretty awesome (I get full bars in my apartment): http://imgur.com/JvOQ3 (the first three were to a server in Colorado or something, so ignore those)

I've seen similar speeds on 4G, and also have noticed a marked increase in 4G signal (College Park/eastern suburbs), just this week, so things must be coming online.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sprint's definitely getting worse in Omaha. Been getting timeout messages from the Play Store when looking at books/apps/music, etc.

I don't mean streaming anything from the store, just opening the store and just looking at what's new. loving timeouts, despite having a good 3-5 bars of 3G. I think the only reason I'm still with Sprint is that I get my home internet through Cox, so I always have a "Well, at least they aren't Cox" line to keep me with Sprint.

Cox goes down more than a one-legged Saigon hooker, except it's getting paid poo poo loads more than ol' Peg-leg Peggy Nguyen from Saigon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Sprint's definitely getting worse in Omaha. Been getting timeout messages from the Play Store when looking at books/apps/music, etc.

I don't mean streaming anything from the store, just opening the store and just looking at what's new. loving timeouts, despite having a good 3-5 bars of 3G. I think the only reason I'm still with Sprint is that I get my home internet through Cox, so I always have a "Well, at least they aren't Cox" line to keep me with Sprint.

Cox goes down more than a one-legged Saigon hooker, except it's getting paid poo poo loads more than ol' Peg-leg Peggy Nguyen from Saigon.

Omaha just sounds like a really not fun place to live at.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sprint's coverage in Omaha is just...terrible. Seriously terrible. I just do not understand it at all, I took this screenshot, tried to MMS it to both my friend and my boyfriend. Bad idea. I almost drained the battery.

It shows full bars but that's just not true. It was getting zero service. I've heard from people that the Nexus S 4G has signal problems but that it only was Wi-Fi based. Truly, the Wi-Fi drops by 50$ if I leave my room to go into another where the router isn't but it still works. I don't even know anymore what's up with Sprint...

The worrying part? If I needed to make a call, I'm not really sure it would've went through.

Cox..ugh. Cox is stable for me (they used to be worse) but they've got to be the shadiest company I have EVER dealt with (this includes Cricket Wireless and their affiliations with gas station Cricket Phone Resellers). I wish Google Fiber was here or something.

Cox will (I repeat WILL) raise your bill for literally no reason and then, if you dare question it, threaten that your service may cost more if you remove some costly "feature" they've forced upon you (this is actually a problem I had last month from them).

I once called them two years ago for a quick problem and was warned of an increase from $40/mo to $50/mo for literally no reason. Sure enough, the next bill was $10 more with literally no explanation as to why. The commercials changed too but no one made a stink about it.

There was a time where their internet dropped out exactly every six hours. However, a technician came out, stayed for four hours, couldn't find nothing wrong and gave me a free Ethernet card to compensate. Cox themselves just blamed me, of course. At least their at-home techs are nice.

You know what though? If it wasn't for the Wi-Fi speeds I get with Cox, I would've tried out Straight Talk AT&T long ago so I guess there's that.

Duckman2008 posted:

Omaha just sounds like a really not fun place to live at.

Omaha's honestly not that bad if you don't count the crazy wannabe gang members in some places of North Omaha (which is oddly enough where I live). It's just Cox that will gently caress you over for all you have and Sprint's increasingly lackluster service. I'm very eager to try Straight Talk AT&T now. I really wish Sprint would get their act together.

It's gotten to the point where, even if AT&T has less towers but much better coverage, I'll take it.

Also, I don't mean to turn this into Cox Chat or anything. But lately, it seems like both Cox and Sprint are getting bad around here for various reasons. Both of them are a monopoly of sorts in the area too (most have Sprint, Boost, or Virgin Mobile and almost everyone has Cox internet).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In all seriousness, if the coverage is bad, then switch. Its price vs value, whether a company is more expensive, less ethical, whatever, if aren't happy then pit in judgement with your dollar. Both of you have complained for months about crappy sprint coverage in your area. We believe you that its bad. At this point, it comes down to whether you are willing to pay for a better option.

The coverage obviously won't get better anytime soon in your area, so just bite the bullet and get a different carrier.

Edit: and there is no way you can tell me that of all carriers, sprint has a monopoly anywhere outside of Kansas City. Verizon is there, and personally if coverage on ad print is that bad I would pay the cash difference per month for better coverage.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So this may have been covered in the past, but yesterday I was able to talk on the phone and use my web browser at the same time (without WiFi). I thought the sprint network prevented this while connected to 3g?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

In all seriousness, if the coverage is bad, then switch. Its price vs value, whether a company is more expensive, less ethical, whatever, if aren't happy then pit in judgement with your dollar. Both of you have complained for months about crappy sprint coverage in your area. We believe you that its bad. At this point, it comes down to whether you are willing to pay for a better option.

The coverage obviously won't get better anytime soon in your area, so just bite the bullet and get a different carrier.

Edit: and there is no way you can tell me that of all carriers, sprint has a monopoly anywhere outside of Kansas City. Verizon is there, and personally if coverage on ad print is that bad I would pay the cash difference per month for better coverage.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely planning on switching. Still wish it wasn't this bad. I've already gotten my ST AT&T microSIM and ordered my Nexus 4 yesterday.

But seriously, Verizon just isn't too popular in Omaha (not like AT&T is either though). There are more people here with either Boost, Virgin Mobile, or Cricket than Verizon.

A lot of people in Omaha vaule the cost instead of their service. They'll pay as little as possible for a phone + plan even if it has bad service. This is especially true in North and South Omaha. Ah well.

Either way, I do want to personally thank you for the help on Sprint's stuff and for helping my bf get his first smartphone.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 1, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So this may have been covered in the past, but yesterday I was able to talk on the phone and use my web browser at the same time (without WiFi). I thought the sprint network prevented this while connected to 3g?
The SGS3 has SVDO support for simultaneous voice and data.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Wikipedia posted:

SVDO, or Simultaneous Voice and EV-DO data, is a technology that allows supported CDMA2000 EV-DO cellular phones to maintain an active 3G data session while the phone is on a call. Previously, the capability of being able to use data while on a call was found only on mobile phones using GSM cellular networks. In 2011, Verizon released their first SVDO-supported phone, the HTC Thunderbolt. The following year, Sprint released their first SVDO-supported phone, the HTC Evo 4G LTE. Although both phones support LTE, which already allows for simultaneous voice and data, when the devices are only in 3G data coverage, they can use SVDO to be in a 3G data session while on a phone call.

EVO LTE, Galaxy S III, and possibly the Galaxy Nexus can do SVDO.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh yeah, I'm definitely planning on switching. Still wish it wasn't this bad. I've already gotten my ST AT&T microSIM and ordered my Nexus 4 yesterday.

But seriously, Verizon just isn't too popular in Omaha (not like AT&T is either though). There are more people here with either Boost, Virgin Mobile, or Cricket than Verizon.

A lot of people in Omaha vaule the cost instead of their service. They'll pay as little as possible for a phone + plan even if it has bad service. This is especially true in North and South Omaha. Ah well.

Either way, I do want to personally thank you for the help on Sprint's stuff and for helping my bf get his first smartphone.

Oh not a problem, I just kept thinking "stop letting yourself suffer and just switch!"

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do we have any confirmation about SVDO for the Galaxy Nexus? EVO LTE and S3 are all I can find in my search.

I'm watching eBay to see if I can get a steal, the EVO LTE tends to go for around 50-75$ less than S3.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh not a problem, I just kept thinking "stop letting yourself suffer and just switch!"

Sometimes we have to wait for our contracts to end. Mine did today. :v:

Wife loves the Galaxy SIII, but the reception's still poo poo. We're gonna try it all over for the next couple days, and probably return it this Thursday unless something changes. drat shame; I really do like Sprint, but the reception's been bad out here for a year and there's no sign they ever intend to fix it. Hell, they claim to have upgraded all the towers around me in the last 6 months, but that's less than helpful when I get one bar in my house. :sigh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moolchaba posted:

Do we have any confirmation about SVDO for the Galaxy Nexus? EVO LTE and S3 are all I can find in my search.

I'm watching eBay to see if I can get a steal, the EVO LTE tends to go for around 50-75$ less than S3.

The nexus cannot do simultaneous voice and data on sprint. I will say you can likely find a good deal on it.

AT&T has a poo poo to of marketing crap on simultaneous voice and data that they cram down your throat in training. I have to say, it's nice to have, but it isn't a huge deal breaker for me either way. Amazing how big of a deal it became for some people.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Thanks for all the info, I've seen the acronym and had no idea what it was.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

The nexus cannot do simultaneous voice and data on sprint. I will say you can likely find a good deal on it.

AT&T has a poo poo to of marketing crap on simultaneous voice and data that they cram down your throat in training. I have to say, it's nice to have, but it isn't a huge deal breaker for me either way. Amazing how big of a deal it became for some people.

I think the bigger problem for Sprint is simultaneous data and not wanting to throw your phone through the nearest wall. It's just so fuckin' bad.

Let me put it this way: I could stream audio over a loving 33.6k dialup connection some 15+ years ago. Can't do it with my Galaxy loving Nexus on a phone service I pay almost Ninety God drat Dollars a month for. It's loving infuriating. I try and do something and it can't loving pull any data for whatever app I might be trying to use (oh let's say Mint) which means Mint just sits there with the loading box and Android's little swirly circle, which means nothing can be done with my phone unless I want to just give up on it, and I look like a goddamn idiot there gawking at my goddamn phone waiting for it to provide me with the information I requested. I imagine there's some shitbird out there thinking of getting all Louie CK on this and acting like I should be gargling Dan Hesse's spooge for just allowing me to pay $90 for the ability to have a handheld device with which I might be able to talk to someone on, but that someone would be a loving moron who doesn't understand that with the advance of technology comes the advance of expectations. You can't just go around acting like the bar's always going to be at the level of acoustic couplers and data rates measured in baud, that's retarded.

Sometimes I wonder how fast Sprint would go out of business if the FCC started forcing carriers to turn prospective customers away in a given market once they reach a set user:tower threshold. This oversubscription+most of the MVNOs bullshit has got to stop. They've gotten their cash lifeline from Softbank, they can stop making GBS threads up my backhaul with Boost and Cricket hoodrats.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I have an E3D right now with an upgrade available in march. Looking at ebay, evo ltes are around 200-250 and galaxy s3s are around 300-350. Would it be dumb to wait until my upgrade rolls around and then pickup one of these off contract? There's nothing currently that is enticing me to use an upgrade and it seems like sprint drops phones in the summer (more then likely the sprint version of the DNA, possibly the s4 a little after).

What's the root status of the evolte and the s3? Is there another option I should consider (I'm not interested in a CDMA galaxy nexus or an expensive off contract iphone 5..)

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Galaxy S3. I'm sure others have said it but this is a really solid phone and if you're looking to root it then CM10 is stable already.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Sometimes I wonder how fast Sprint would go out of business if the FCC started forcing carriers to turn prospective customers away in a given market once they reach a set user:tower threshold. This oversubscription+most of the MVNOs bullshit has got to stop. They've gotten their cash lifeline from Softbank, they can stop making GBS threads up my backhaul with Boost and Cricket hoodratsNEGROS.

Just FYI, the fine folks over at Freep use the terms Amish, hoodrats, and Holder's people as substitutes for NEGROS and similar variations on words starting with "N" that reference black people.

Sprint's debacle is due to the failed merger with Nextel. Alltel would have been a far better choice. I have no idea why they dicked around and didn't roll out good push to talk capability on CDMA then immediately require everyone to switch and turn off iDEN, but that's cost them a lot of cash, caused big losses, and doubled their network costs right as everyone started switching to smartphones and 3G, meaning tons of Nextel customers left for other carriers. Their original PTT on CDMA was crap, so I guess it was management hubris combined with a bungled PTT project that screwed their ability to shed the double networks. The cost of running iDEN for all those years would have paid for Network Vision in its entirety - that's the level of fuckery we are dealing with.

Then they had a bunch of 2.6 GHz licenses (massive amounts of spectrum) that was on the use-it-or-lose-it ticking clock, but LTE wasn't ready. WiMax was. So they had to invest in a network they knew (or should have known) was a dead-end. That's why they got some suckers to invest in Clearwire - to offload some of that turkey elsewhere while waiting for LTE to come online. Advertising as the first 4G network and shipping WiMax phones was just trying to make something good out of money they had to spend anyway. And yes, children, any of you who bought WiMax phones in an area without live WiMax got duped, Sprint knew they were duping you, and no one cares.

However the investment in WiMax meant they didn't have the cash to maintain their 3G network; they were (and are still in non-NV areas) running their cellular data over 1.544 Mbps T1 lines! No wonder all the ~3Mbps carriers in each cell choke to death trying to across a couple of T1s. I don't know that the total bandwidth of a fully-loaded 3G tower is but let's assume 10 carriers x 3 cells = 30Mbit, for which you'd need 20 T1 lines (and the associated card slots in the equipment rack, etc). That's also hugely expensive. Oh and the T1 provider is the ILEC, so you get to wait 3-6 weeks for them to bother installing it after its ordered, by which time you already need another one.

Of course they have the PCS G block which they could deploy to relieve congestion in the air link but that supposes you have enough T1s at the tower to support it, plus by then they knew LTE was on its way so why spend money on an outdated technology you are going to throw away in 3 years? I do think the data explosion hit them harder than they expected - they probably figured people would see 256k-500k download speeds while Network Vision was rolling out, not 33k dialup or worse. I'm sure the plan was to eek by on 3G as they focused on rolling out LTE.

So they began working on Network Vision, using modern fiber to towers to make sure backhaul is never an issue again (with the ability to remotely turn up the bandwidth, no truck roll required). Modern equipment lets them remotely adjust the downtilt angle of the antennas and the new setups include support for all of Sprint's frequencies (including the Nextel 800 SMR band) and can be remotely adjusted, and obviously LTE support. But that takes a lot of capital and time to deploy, so we're in the middle of it now.

What wasn't in Sprint's control is vendors being slow to ship equipment, the stated reason for them being three months behind schedule. My pet theory is vendors didn't want to run up too high of a bill to Sprint until they determined if Sprint was going to file for bankruptcy, get acquired, or successfully roll over its debts because they could end up being screwed. Now that Softbank is investing those worries go away (and magically Sprint no longer has equipment supply problems, imagine that?) This kind of thing is common with large companies - if you think your customer is having trouble or they are slow to pay invoices, you may slow down your shipments to a trickle to see how things shape up because in a bankruptcy you are going to get shafted as the newest creditor, in a buyout the orders may get cancelled (leaving you with massive inventory), etc. A few companies (eg Apple) are so cash-heavy they pay up-front when the order is placed and that's why they get exclusives, first access, and other perks... all the other customers don't pay until 45-90 days after you ship the order. Apple is particularly devious at this game, sometimes paying up-front, a year in advance, for an entire year's worth of orders. A wire transfer of a billion USD moves a lot of mountains and cuts through a lot of paperwork.

So the reality is that Boost was a way to trick the "hoodrats" and get them to buy ancient iDEN phones (which immediately make a profit for Sprint, despite being cheap) and subsidize the massively money-losing iDEN network; even if you shutoff every prepaid and MVNO phone on Sprint's network it wouldn't make much of a difference - Sprint has more than enough Sprint post-paid customers to clog the pipes. The only thing that will help is finishing Network Vision as quickly as possible.

If I were Sprint, the minute that Softbank deal closed I would use all the cash they can offer to pay a premium - have the vendors run the assembly line 24/7, hire away all the experienced cell tower crews (all contractors so the cell companies don't have to pay if they fall off the tower and die), and generally throw money at the problem to get Network Vision done ahead of schedule. In fact I'd use the Softbank carrot right now to entice vendors to ship me equipment on credit or use some of the 3 billion to offer small bonus incentive payments. Anything to push progress faster and faster.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ender.uNF posted:

Awesome wall of text

Thanks, that explains a lot.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
With all the awesome Black Friday SGS3 deals, I'm hoping to see an influx of them on Craigslist for cheap in a few months. I want to smash my E3D to bits right now...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ender.uNF posted:

Amazingly informative post.

Dude...your posts are not only incredibly informative, but also written in a way that even I can understand.

Thank you for being you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ender.uNF posted:

Just FYI, the fine folks over at Freep use the terms Amish, hoodrats, and Holder's people as substitutes for NEGROS and similar variations on words starting with "N" that reference black people.

Sprint's debacle is due to the failed merger with Nextel. Alltel would have been a far better choice. I have no idea why they dicked around and didn't roll out good push to talk capability on CDMA then immediately require everyone to switch and turn off iDEN, but that's cost them a lot of cash, caused big losses, and doubled their network costs right as everyone started switching to smartphones and 3G, meaning tons of Nextel customers left for other carriers. Their original PTT on CDMA was crap, so I guess it was management hubris combined with a bungled PTT project that screwed their ability to shed the double networks. The cost of running iDEN for all those years would have paid for Network Vision in its entirety - that's the level of fuckery we are dealing with.

Then they had a bunch of 2.6 GHz licenses (massive amounts of spectrum) that was on the use-it-or-lose-it ticking clock, but LTE wasn't ready. WiMax was. So they had to invest in a network they knew (or should have known) was a dead-end. That's why they got some suckers to invest in Clearwire - to offload some of that turkey elsewhere while waiting for LTE to come online. Advertising as the first 4G network and shipping WiMax phones was just trying to make something good out of money they had to spend anyway. And yes, children, any of you who bought WiMax phones in an area without live WiMax got duped, Sprint knew they were duping you, and no one cares.

However the investment in WiMax meant they didn't have the cash to maintain their 3G network; they were (and are still in non-NV areas) running their cellular data over 1.544 Mbps T1 lines! No wonder all the ~3Mbps carriers in each cell choke to death trying to across a couple of T1s. I don't know that the total bandwidth of a fully-loaded 3G tower is but let's assume 10 carriers x 3 cells = 30Mbit, for which you'd need 20 T1 lines (and the associated card slots in the equipment rack, etc). That's also hugely expensive. Oh and the T1 provider is the ILEC, so you get to wait 3-6 weeks for them to bother installing it after its ordered, by which time you already need another one.

Of course they have the PCS G block which they could deploy to relieve congestion in the air link but that supposes you have enough T1s at the tower to support it, plus by then they knew LTE was on its way so why spend money on an outdated technology you are going to throw away in 3 years? I do think the data explosion hit them harder than they expected - they probably figured people would see 256k-500k download speeds while Network Vision was rolling out, not 33k dialup or worse. I'm sure the plan was to eek by on 3G as they focused on rolling out LTE.

So they began working on Network Vision, using modern fiber to towers to make sure backhaul is never an issue again (with the ability to remotely turn up the bandwidth, no truck roll required). Modern equipment lets them remotely adjust the downtilt angle of the antennas and the new setups include support for all of Sprint's frequencies (including the Nextel 800 SMR band) and can be remotely adjusted, and obviously LTE support. But that takes a lot of capital and time to deploy, so we're in the middle of it now.

What wasn't in Sprint's control is vendors being slow to ship equipment, the stated reason for them being three months behind schedule. My pet theory is vendors didn't want to run up too high of a bill to Sprint until they determined if Sprint was going to file for bankruptcy, get acquired, or successfully roll over its debts because they could end up being screwed. Now that Softbank is investing those worries go away (and magically Sprint no longer has equipment supply problems, imagine that?) This kind of thing is common with large companies - if you think your customer is having trouble or they are slow to pay invoices, you may slow down your shipments to a trickle to see how things shape up because in a bankruptcy you are going to get shafted as the newest creditor, in a buyout the orders may get cancelled (leaving you with massive inventory), etc. A few companies (eg Apple) are so cash-heavy they pay up-front when the order is placed and that's why they get exclusives, first access, and other perks... all the other customers don't pay until 45-90 days after you ship the order. Apple is particularly devious at this game, sometimes paying up-front, a year in advance, for an entire year's worth of orders. A wire transfer of a billion USD moves a lot of mountains and cuts through a lot of paperwork.

So the reality is that Boost was a way to trick the "hoodrats" and get them to buy ancient iDEN phones (which immediately make a profit for Sprint, despite being cheap) and subsidize the massively money-losing iDEN network; even if you shutoff every prepaid and MVNO phone on Sprint's network it wouldn't make much of a difference - Sprint has more than enough Sprint post-paid customers to clog the pipes. The only thing that will help is finishing Network Vision as quickly as possible.

If I were Sprint, the minute that Softbank deal closed I would use all the cash they can offer to pay a premium - have the vendors run the assembly line 24/7, hire away all the experienced cell tower crews (all contractors so the cell companies don't have to pay if they fall off the tower and die), and generally throw money at the problem to get Network Vision done ahead of schedule. In fact I'd use the Softbank carrot right now to entice vendors to ship me equipment on credit or use some of the 3 billion to offer small bonus incentive payments. Anything to push progress faster and faster.

I love this post and I love you. In an internet forums good poster sort of way. But take a look in D&D for what I think of conservatives and their racism :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I don't have LTE where I live but my uncle, who lives 10 minutes away, has it in his area.

I hate the Sprint service I get here, but after trying out LTE for the first time, I don't hate them anymore. I just want the rollout to be quicker dammit.