Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

That sounds wonderful. IYC is sort of the foundation of all dog training. I love it. It takes a while to really figure out why and how it applies to more than tiny bits of food on the floor, but once that happens the work you've done magically starts to apply to everything.

With my potential future puppy I will do huge amounts of IYC. Cohen's very worst habit is blowing me off if she smells food or something awesome to roll in. She's fine if she's working, but if she's on more free time she tells me to go gently caress myself if there's something tasty around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My brother is getting married and his fiancee has set up something where people can give suggestions for wedding ideas. This is the idea from me.

But with sheep or goats instead because pacas suck. I'm not sure how I would A. Get my critters from OH to where the wedding is and B. Wrestle a tux onto a ram, but it would be classy as hell.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 30, 2012

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My brother is getting married and his fiancee has set up something where people can give suggestions for wedding ideas. This is the idea fromgg me.

But with sheep or goats instead because pacas suck. I'm not sure how I would A. Get my critters from OH to where the wedding is and B. Wrestle a tux onto a ram, but it would be classy as hell.
I fully support this idea. Make it happen!

Super, I'm so glad you got Frankie back alright. I missed your posts when it was happening, but it was a relief to read everything worked out. I hope the little girl gets a dog of her own, too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Since my mom couldn't make it to Thanksgiving this year, she asked us to take a picture of everyone and send it to her. We all squeezed in around the couch and my husband got out the remote control for his camera.

Midway through the photos, Husker started grumbling. My husband asked him, "Ha wa woo?" Which basically just means "Whatcha doin, Husker?" In our silly dog talk. Well, apparently a roo was just under the surface, because he started howling at the top of his lungs, stood up, and ran away.

I'll post them when I get back to my computer, it's a funny little time lapse.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

FRANKIE.

So glad he is safe. :ohdear: I'm always super afraid of one of my dogs getting loose/going missing.

I'm pretty sure my Chihuahuas would never be seen again because they aren't fugly and I'm sure a lot of people around here would be all "Heh sweet I can sell this thing for $$$$" Especially my little one because he's so tiny and good natured and is super sweet to everyone. No one would give him back. :cry:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Greycious posted:

FRANKIE.

So glad he is safe. :ohdear: I'm always super afraid of one of my dogs getting loose/going missing.

I'm pretty sure my Chihuahuas would never be seen again because they aren't fugly and I'm sure a lot of people around here would be all "Heh sweet I can sell this thing for $$$$" Especially my little one because he's so tiny and good natured and is super sweet to everyone. No one would give him back. :cry:

Lola would never be seen again because she'd be so horrified by anyone who tried to grab her that she'd probably run right into the road.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Today is Angus' Birthday! I can't believe it but he turned three years old today! I ordered him the biggest bully stick Best Bully Sticks had and he's been in doggie Nirvana all morning.

I also took him to the empty dog park to try some disc with him. He's not been all that into it in the past but I've gotten some new ideas from the disc dog people and Angus really surprised me! He will come back for a second disc, can go straight up for a disc thrown just behind his head and twist around to come back down on his front legs in a "flip." His catch has improved a lot with a better throw. He gets tired fast but he's out of condition right now. I'm thinking he would make a pretty decent freestyle dog.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Triangulum posted:

Cool, I will probably just hit you up on AIM because I don't have PMs.

Hey, sorry for the delayed response, but just so you know I'm waiting for a new laptop to come in and am currently using my old desktop which doesn't do AIM very well (it doesn't do much of anything very well so I have to keep background programs to a minimum while I'm working). So, you probably won't see me on there much at all at least through the weekend, but the new laptop should be in Monday or Tuesday and then I'll be sure to install AIM and log in. :)

edit: Okay and now that I've caught up, I'm also so glad Frankie made it back safe and sound. One of my dogs was missing for a week once (he'd been found within hours of his escape, but he'd slipped his collar and the guy didn't think to take him in to get scanned for a chip--which he has--or notify the humane society or anything, and a week later just happened to notice a flyer I'd put up at a diner) and I think that was the worst feeling of my life. I couldn't stop crying and just wondering what had happened to him.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 30, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
So if you clicker train your dog you probably shouldn't idly click a clicky pen while doing internet research. I now have both dogs' rapt attention expecting treats. Sorry guys.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Here, PI, have Shadow's "YAY YOU'RE PAYING ATTENTION TO ME!" face.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:catstare: Where the gently caress are your ears, Shadow?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
he lost them in 'nam

When he's really happy they're glued to the back of his neck. Alert = airplane mode. Really excited/aroused = they go all the way up and are really pointy and stupid looking. :3:

e: alternatively, he could be part seal like Koji and Moses

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 1, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Skizzles posted:

Here, PI, have Shadow's "YAY YOU'RE PAYING ATTENTION TO ME!" face.

Here, as a response, have Sadie's "Oh, you wanted to sleep here? Tough poo poo, I want pettings" face.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I adore her white toesies.

You guys remember when I said Shadow was a Bad Dog and got into the trash after a turkey carcass back just before Thanksgiving? Tonight he threw some stuff up that appeared to have bits of bone in it. :( He's been acting/eating/drinking fine otherwise, but my vet suggests xray. drat YOU, DOG. :argh:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 1, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

His X-ray is going to be a perfect, cartoon turkey skeleton.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

*rolls around*

We picked up a stray from the shelter yesterday for the rescue and $4000 and a possible blockage later, we find out he has parvo. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnit. :(

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I thought you guys would enjoy this semi-savage mockery of dog shows from John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx0lgwUFMJk

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

SuperTwo posted:

Today is Angus' Birthday! I can't believe it but he turned three years old today! I ordered him the biggest bully stick Best Bully Sticks had and he's been in doggie Nirvana all morning.

Happy Birthday Angus :toot: !! Eat a dick :iamafag: (Eee, I can't believe it has already been 3 years ... I still remember you posting about him as a tiny puppy :3: :3: :3:)

Here, have my dog hating the flurries and cold:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I'm kind of bummed- two huskies who used to live at my apartment complex (same owner) are now at the SPCA in town. I guess they moved and couldn't keep the dogs? Either way its depressing.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella has a reputation among the postal workers of my city.

She is the Sandwich Thief.

We were walking along and there was a postal worker putting packages into the mailbox. Bella goes over for her usual greeting and the lady and I strike up a conversation. All the while Bella is sniffing and nosing around like normal. Out of the blue, Bella reaches into the lady's bag and pulls out her sandwich. We managed to get it back before eating could commence, but still :saddowns: Silly dog.

So now, wherever we go, if we pass a postal worker, they look at her and go :haw: Sorry, already ate my lunch.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Our mail lady likes Shadow even though he ROOROOROOs at her when she comes to the door. My ex's mom often lets him out to get pettins from her when she stops by. :3:

It's funny how sociable Shadow is in the mornings. He's never met a person he didn't like, but normally he never feels the need to go up and greet anyone unless they call to him. The other day I was waiting to cross the street and a lady walked behind us, Shadow actually pulled on the leash to get to her and say hi. Fortunately she was more than happy to give him pettins and he was just curling around and leaning on her every which way and looking up at her with his doofy grin. Then another morning he ran up to a neighbor who just got out of his car. :downs: Fortunately he wanted to say hi to Shadow anyway and gave him tons of rubbins. Dog is a dork.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Lola has been limping on/off most of today (since the paw she's reluctant to put weight on is the one she cut open yesterday, I'm guessing it's very much her own fault! :downs:), and when I took her out to play fetch she just stopped and looked at the offending paw and then creeped back toward me. We've done so much tug/elevated tug today to make up for the lack of exercise.

Is there anything I ought to do for her paw other than keeping it clean?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Skizzles posted:

I adore her white toesies.

I took some more of her cute jelly beans of doom for you because they aren't just white and black fur, them click for big:

She was actively not looking at me while I did it. She still isn't. I think she is pouting about the bed not having bedsheets on it.

Such a hard life she leads, isn't it?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Husker didn't eat his breakfast this morning and then barfed up his dinner :( I have one anti-nausea tablet left from his chemo, so I'll give him that just to make him more comfortable. He's been totally normal otherwise, not showing any signs of nausea or feeling ill, and he's a big baby when he doesn't feel good. So I'm hoping this doesn't warrant a vet visit and tomorrow he'll be fine.

The pessimist in me is worried that this is a sign that his cancer has come back in his abdomen, but I'm trying really hard not to think about that.

Edit - I gave him some plain brown rice and he seems very hungry, and didn't barf again, so I dunno.

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 2, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

RazorBunny posted:

The pessimist in me is worried that this is a sign that his cancer has come back in his abdomen, but I'm trying really hard not to think about that.

Edit - I gave him some plain brown rice and he seems very hungry, and didn't barf again, so I dunno.

Hopefully he's just feeling a touch barfy and will be better tomorrow :ohdear:

Today was santa picture day and Major did awesome! I was worried that the santa beard would be a little too much like an Amish beard and would freak him out but he was all wiggles and mooching. He kept going around to everyone in the room to get pats and cookies. No pictures on santa's lap because the chair wasn't big enough for him, but he did knock over and sit on the behaviorist's tiny vet student extern.

They need to hurry up and email me those pictures now so I can make dorky cards.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

RazorBunny posted:

Husker didn't eat his breakfast this morning and then barfed up his dinner :( I have one anti-nausea tablet left from his chemo, so I'll give him that just to make him more comfortable. He's been totally normal otherwise, not showing any signs of nausea or feeling ill, and he's a big baby when he doesn't feel good. So I'm hoping this doesn't warrant a vet visit and tomorrow he'll be fine.

Maybe he just ate poop while you weren't looking and it made him feel pukey.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My family goes by the terms if Clinton or the pup puke once, sometimes dogs just puke after eating something gross because ~dogs~. It's when they keep puking that we have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Somehow this made puppies. And all I can think is "how is pupee formed? how dog get pragnet?"

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Somehow this made puppies. And all I can think is "how is pupee formed? how dog get pragnet?"

With a lot of help and equipment, hth.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What the gently caress.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Serella posted:

Maybe he just ate poop while you weren't looking and it made him feel pukey.

He was digging around in the sandy area where our pool used to be, I bet there was cat poop out there.

He seems okay this morning. I've been working on switching him over to a new kibble lately, maybe that's all it is. And Murphy has a mild respiratory something or other right now, and we visited with her the other night, so it's also possible he caught something from her...he hasn't had any symptoms, but wh knows.

I just get all worried whenever he so much as sneezes, since the cancer. I used to be a lot more "Eh, dogs."

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
:3: I just took Mouse out for a little walk when I heard 'OH MY GOD, IT'S MOUSE!' from the other side of the road. Like for a single second the thought crossed my mind Oh God, what if it's a goon, but it thankfully turned out to be a lady from one of the puppy training classes we did :3:. She had her dog with her (a black lab) and I didn't really know which of the indistinguishable black lab puppies it had been (or even which class it was from, I went to SO MANY), but we had a chat and she lives really close and we're going to do playdates! :3: :3: :3:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

What size is your cat? Mine's 9 1/2.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fat Dio posted:

What size is your cat? Mine's 9 1/2.

Your cat is also waterproof. Impressive.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This American Life had a section this morning which was basically a discussion of the life of Piney, a rescued pit who belongs to host Ira Glass and his wife. The whole thing is concentrated :psyduck:

Piney has a restricted ingredient diet, and develops allergies to any food he's on for a while, so after a few months they have to switch the protein and starch. That's not too odd and he has been on rabbit (which was $80 per week), bison, and even kangaroo. What is strange is that these all get delivered to the studio and seriously weirds out other people working there. When it comes to behavior, Piney has issues. Piney has anxiety problems and cannot be looked at without freaking out, despite being on Valium. Piney has bitten six people, not including his owners (but including two children at a wedding). His owners insist on calling what he does "nipping" despite it drawing blood. Nobody can visit their apartment because of Piney. In short Piney really needs to be on a desert island stocked with one of each kind of edible animal and starch source, not in NYC.

He is pretty cute though.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Shifty Pony posted:

This American Life had a section this morning which was basically a discussion of the life of Piney, a rescued pit who belongs to host Ira Glass and his wife. The whole thing is concentrated :psyduck:

Piney has a restricted ingredient diet, and develops allergies to any food he's on for a while, so after a few months they have to switch the protein and starch. That's not too odd and he has been on rabbit (which was $80 per week), bison, and even kangaroo. What is strange is that these all get delivered to the studio and seriously weirds out other people working there. When it comes to behavior, Piney has issues. Piney has anxiety problems and cannot be looked at without freaking out, despite being on Valium. Piney has bitten six people, not including his owners (but including two children at a wedding). His owners insist on calling what he does "nipping" despite it drawing blood. Nobody can visit their apartment because of Piney. In short Piney really needs to be on a desert island stocked with one of each kind of edible animal and starch source, not in NYC.

He is pretty cute though.

I've actually known about Piney for a while- Ira's wife used to run a blog called The I Love My Bad Dog Blog. He's actually got a team made up of his vets, a behaviorist, and a trainer. I feel kind of conflicted about him, because if anyone has the resources to keep such a messed-up dog, it's Ira and his wife. But six people, drat (and there are plenty of dogs who don't want to eat everyone). I'll have to listen to the episode, it's been a long time since the blog was updated so I have no idea if he's gotten worse or what.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Today was the first snow and Vecna had a really good time charging around like a little maniac.

He made lots of new friends at the field

Do you like snow puppy?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So, does anyone who actually has a GSD want to start a breed post? Because I can throw together something of one if you guys want, but might be better coming from someone who actually owns a GSD. :downs:

Also, :effort:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Wheats posted:

I've actually known about Piney for a while- Ira's wife used to run a blog called The I Love My Bad Dog Blog. He's actually got a team made up of his vets, a behaviorist, and a trainer. I feel kind of conflicted about him, because if anyone has the resources to keep such a messed-up dog, it's Ira and his wife. But six people, drat (and there are plenty of dogs who don't want to eat everyone). I'll have to listen to the episode, it's been a long time since the blog was updated so I have no idea if he's gotten worse or what.

I guess people can do what they want, but I don't get why anyone would want a screwed up rescued pit bull that bit people. For all they spend on his retarded diet and team of people and valium, they could rescue like 10 pit bulls who DON'T eat faces. I understand it being ~your dog~ or whatever but this just makes me really cranky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I should not be allowed to walk my dog whilst drunk. I have just agreed to walk a friend's ~Johnson bulldog puppy*~ pretty much whenever I walk my dogs.

* I think I bitched already but: this is the third puppy friend has had in the last five or so years we've known her. This is a young, very excitable dog living with small kids that is going to grow into a very big dog.

:negative:

At least if the dog gets exercised as much as Lola she might not eat the kids???

• Locked thread