Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sans pants
Mar 27, 2007
Freydis set the bar high.

legsarerequired posted:

I was very tempted by this 15-note rainbow xylophone, since I like the sound of wooden bars and I also think that having different-colored bars could help me learn the notes.

If you have any white stickers around (from an office maybe?) you could always color them in, or even write the notes on them, and then stick them on the bars of your glockenspiel. They could be peeled off too when you feel more confident. That seems to be a fairly common thing at schools here for teaching music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

sans pants posted:

If you have any white stickers around (from an office maybe?) you could always color them in, or even write the notes on them, and then stick them on the bars of your glockenspiel. They could be peeled off too when you feel more confident. That seems to be a fairly common thing at schools here for teaching music.

Oh yes, I did that on my keyboard and it really helped! I'm definitely doing that on my glockenspiel too. I'm still not a fluent keyboard player though--even though I can touch-type super fast (which would make me think I'm capable of moving my fingers really quickly, and controlling the way they move pretty well), I seem to be really slow when learning an instrument. I suppose I just need to really practice.

EDIT: In addition to the glockenspiel, I'm tempted by this cute decorative bell lyra.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 19, 2012

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm really glad somebody mentioned Hang. I saw one in a theatrical performance ("An Iliad") a couple of weeks ago and was blown away. Then I tried to research it and found out how few makers there were, and how the inventors (Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer) had gone off the deep end. The inventors now deliberately make instruments that are only in tune with themselves and discourage musicians from buying them; Hanghang [the official plural] are "sound sculptures", not "instruments". To purchase from PanArt, you must write a letter; if the inventors approve your letter, you then visit them in Switzerland to play the available instruments and see which one is fitted to you.

The family of instruments that is based on the Hang is called "handpans"; the Hang people go ballistic when you call the Hang a handpan (or a drum, for that matter.) There's an excellent overview of the available manufacturers, as well as a forum devoted to the handpan family at http://www.handpan.org/forum/. Every single handpan builder has a honkin' waiting list. TaptheForwardAssist's build-it-yourself solution is your best bet.

Edit; Hapi Drums are on sale during the month of November.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 19, 2012

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The inventors now deliberately make instruments that are only in tune with themselves and discourage musicians from buying them; Hanghang [the official plural] are "sound sculptures", not "instruments".

This is the biggest pile of bollocks I've read in a while. I did a module on sound art as part of my degree and there's a lot of these sorts of snobby fuckwits about in that field.

All this talk of metal percussion instruments has reminded me how much I love the sound of steel drums/steel pans. I'd be tempted to buy one but I think I've got enough going on at the moment learning Cimbalom and playing an MPD.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blue Screen Error posted:

All this talk of metal percussion instruments has reminded me how much I love the sound of steel drums/steel pans. I'd be tempted to buy one but I think I've got enough going on at the moment learning Cimbalom and playing an MPD.
I hear you. I was looking at a cheap used clavichord, and my daughter said severely, "You can't have a clavichord until you finish your ukulele." (The harp is my formal-study instrument, the ukulele is the hacking-around-in-the-bedroom instrument.) I passed the clavichord link on to a luthier/musician friend (it needs work), so it's all good.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

legsarerequired posted:

I ended up following your advice and buying a used 27-note glockenspiel off ebay. I also got myself in a bidding war for a really cute bell lyra. I'm pretty excited!

Good deal, glad you found a good instrument! 27 note chromatic should serve you quite well to learn on.

So far as marking the keys, personally I wouldn't go as far as marking every key, though maybe just marking your C notes so you can "index" your eyes onto the keyboard might help. The danger of marking every key is that you can slow yourself down squinting at the individual letters.

In the meantime, the more I think about it, the more basic piano instructional materials sound like a good way to get the basics of music down. You can check out SA's NMD:ML subforum and its PIANO MEGATHREAD: How to start out.

A lot of basic-beginner piano melodies could be fun to sound out on the glockenspiel, even before you start with reading music. Might be better to do a few by ear (or even by watching beginner piano tutorials on YouTube) just to gain some momentum and get some familiarity with the instrument before you get to the book-learning. Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" is a popular one, and in a clip like this you can just visually use the right-hand part to play the melody on glockenspiel.

Couldn't find a proper attribution with this image, but here's a cool print of a glockenspiel.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I really want to learn how to play a strange and wonderful instrument. Unfortunately, I do not have much money to play with. Maybe $50-$100, depending on how awesome the instrument is. I'm working through reading this thread, though, and am really hopeful I will find a strange and wonderful theramin instrument to play.

I am looking forward to annoying the neighbors very soon with whatever odd instrument I can pick up.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SquadronROE posted:

I really want to learn how to play a strange and wonderful instrument. Unfortunately, I do not have much money to play with. Maybe $50-$100, depending on how awesome the instrument is. I'm working through reading this thread, though, and am really hopeful I will find a strange and wonderful theramin instrument to play.

No worries, a budget range is helpful, but we're going to need a little more info. Do you have a specific style of music you want to play (indie rock, bluegrass, Italian folk, anything?), or particular setting (play on the couch after work to relax, jam with a guitarist friend, etc.)?

Have you seen anything in the thread so far that jumps out at you? I take it theremin is one of them?

Do you have any musical background, or do you want something that's friendly to total beginners?

Going off of the very vague mention of theremin, a few ways to tackle that:

- If you have a smartphone or touchpad computer, there are a number of apps which simulate a touch-based pitch/volume instrument. Not a true theremin since you aren't waving your hands in the air, but would have many of the basic principles and be only a few bucks, so maybe something to try out and see if you like it.
- If it's the analog aspect that's appealing to your inner geek, there are some inexpensive analog kits, some more noise-effect and some more melodic, that can be pretty affordable. On this post, partway down, we talk a bit about some synth kits, and also (a few posts down)the Gakken mini-theremin which you can find just under $100

- If you want something really inexpensive, low-tech, and a hands-on building project with lots of customisation possibilities, and one that develops a similar pitch-finding skill to the theremin, you can make a diddly bow (electric or acoustic), whose simplicity belies its coolness:

A few diddly-bow refresher clips:

- Depeche Mode cover on a one-string diddly that can't have cost more than $15 to make.
- Purely acoustic 2-stringer sounding amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT33FcL9QVw
- An ichigenkin, the Japanese equivalent, though the clips I'm finding are a bit less slidey and more deliberate, but that's just the playing style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3uwiv2Hwk

Those are a few theremin-related suggestions, so give a shout if any of those looks interesting, or if you've seen anything else in the thread calling to you.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Great now I want one of those Gakken mini theremin. Any idea where the best place to order one is? I can't find anywhere that has it in stock.

Surprisingly good sound from something so small and cheap looking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmYqUfhT94

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Great now I want one of those Gakken mini theremin. Any idea where the best place to order one is? I can't find anywhere that has it in stock.

Gakken is an option (and come up on eBay pretty often), though I'd read up on the pros and cons in the various reviews of it online. Don't confuse the Mini (the little red desk, just a toy) with the Premium, which is the white box shown above. At Theremin World there seems to be divided opinion as to whether the Premium good as a serious instrument, or more of an (albeit playable) fun piece. It has a limited sensing range, so you have to make smaller movements to change the note, which some of them think would frustrate beginners, but I think others find it small but workable. I'd read up on the issue for a few days, feel out what other folks are playing and what they like for newbs.

There are a few entry-level theremins costing not much more than the Gakken, with some folks liking the Burns B3 theremin ($150) for beginners. The Burns is a full-size, 2-antenna theremin, plugs into a guitar amp (always cheap to find amps on Craigslist). The consensus I've always heard is that you definitely want a 2-antenna, as the 1-antenna ones where you can't change volume in mid-song get limiting pretty fast since dynamics is a bit part of the instrument.

[

This is not to discount the Gakken, since there are certainly folks that have them and like them, but just encouraging you to read up. I'm not a theremin guy, but it strikes me as being somewhat analagous to what a "travel guitar" is to guitar. Smaller, cuter, sometimes a good buy for the money, but somewhat of a compromise on sound and ergonomics. If you're fine with the trade-off, and/or smallness/cuteness, portability (it's one of few battery-powered theremins, check to see it it takes a DC plug-in too), then it might indeed be your preference at the end. But always read up.

If you do decide to save up longer to get a full-size theremin, that doesn't mean you have to totally wait on music until then. I'm under the odd impression that there's some crossover of interest between theremin and ocarina, maybe because the ocarina has that really pure overtoneless almost chiptune-like tone, so a $20 ocarina might be something to tide you over while you do some research, figure if you want to stash some cash in a jar for a month or so to work up to a theremin.

Do some reading, and let us know what you figure out theremin-wise, if you have questions about any other instruments, etc. Fun times.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 21, 2012

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I spent last night reading through a lot of this thread. There are so many instruments to choose from, and so many different things to figure out. Really, I just want to do it because I really want to learn a new skill and be able to make some music at parties every now and again.

The theramin jumped out at me because it is just so odd compared to normal instruments. You don't actually touch anything, yet use science to make music. There are a lot of instruments that appealed, though, like the Swedish bagpipes.

To answer some of the questions and help narrow down the massive amount of choices available:

No accordion-like things. The wife has already said no to that idea when I was talking to her about that last night. It's the only instrument she hates.

I played trumpet back middle school and high school, so for about 6 years. So I am familiar with some of the concepts necessary to use a brass instrument as well as being able to read music.

I'd like to be able to have a semi-portable (something I can easily move from house to house via car, but it doesn't necessarily have to fit in a backpack) device that I can bring over to friends' houses for parties.

The sound is important in that it will be going unaccompanied. Aside from that, I am open to anything. If it helps, my favorite music to sit and listen to is some of the "classical" stuff ranging from Gershwin to Tchaikovsky to Vivaldi.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This is not to discount the Gakken, since there are certainly folks that have them and like them, but just encouraging you to read up. I'm not a theremin guy, but it strikes me as being somewhat analagous to what a "travel guitar" is to guitar. Smaller, cuter, sometimes a good buy for the money, but somewhat of a compromise on sound and ergonomics. If you're fine with the trade-off, and/or smallness/cuteness, portability (it's one of few battery-powered theremins, check to see it it takes a DC plug-in too), then it might indeed be your preference at the end. But always read up

Yeah this is pretty much spot on. I already have a couple of serious instruments, but I've always loved the Theremin sound so something cheap and portable would be great.

The added price of a proper Theremin is always going to be more for me because I'm in the UK and will have to pay more shipping + VAT and customs charges.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

For what it's worth, I think that guy's wearing an anti-static wristband connected to the theremin to help rid interference, so it might not sound that good out of the box.

Not like those wristbands are expensive though, if that IS what it is.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Its some sort of grounding wristband, pretty sure it comes with it.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

My husband has a gakken premium theremin. I don't feel that the above video is representative of its sound. I feel like this video illustrates better what the instrument he has would sound like at its best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZhpUrhsZI

The guy playing "Oscar Tango" could have replaced the grounding wrist band with something else. I can see through the mirror that it is thicker than the one that came with the instrument. He also has it hooked up to something, which might be making it sound better. My husband got a guitar amp for free recently and is planning to hook it up once he gets a cable to connect them. I guess I'll report back on the quality of the sound once that happens.

As for whether or not it's a good beginner instrument, I think its good within certain parameters. If you're not sure theremin is for you and you don't want to make much of an investment to find out, its a great way to get a taste of what the real instrument is like.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SquadronROE posted:

I spent last night reading through a lot of this thread. There are so many instruments to choose from, and so many different things to figure out. Really, I just want to do it because I really want to learn a new skill and be able to make some music at parties every now and again.

Okay, getting a feel for this: so you want something that sounds good solo, easily portable, something to take to parties, you have past trumpet skills and basic music-reading, and you're kind of aiming for under $100 but perusing some things above that. You like Classical: are you specifically wanting to kick back at said parties and play some Dvorak, or is it more that you like chill, somewhat artsy musical stylings, and less of a folk/blues kind of person? For playing at parties, are you aiming for more "get this party jumping" somehow, or more like chillout music back in the corner, and folks who are chatting or lounging nearby are like "ahhh, that sounds good, keep doing that."

If that is indeed the read (and let me know what's off/on of the above), I pondered up a few ideas last night. For things that sound good solo and are pretty chill, with the capacity to do some of the more complex art music as you build skill, a lot of those are strings. English concertina would be good, but that violates your free-reeds taboo (you must admit this is cool though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyEAXmkNThI). There are a few woodwinds that jump out too that are good chillout instruments (though not as versatile for classical), and ones with a drone provide their own accompaniment. So let me spitball a few ideas and see if they're close:

- Lap steel guitar: this is one that would be a little challenging to learn since you have to develop a feel for moving from note to note (again not unlike theremin), but has infinite chromaticity for not only classical, but any experimental or non-Western music as well. Covers melody and harmony parts well, mellow but distinctive sound, and can be had very affordable. Electric ones (if you're into that) are as cheap as $100 new since they're so easy to build. Acoustically, you can take any cheap steel-string guitar (especially one that's junk for normal play due to bowed neck) and add a $10 nut riser to convert it to a perfectly serviceable lap steel. Alternately, you can make a basic lap-steel neck from scrap wood and scrap tuners, glue it onto practically any resonating body (including reinforced cardboard) and have an instrument.

Here are a few playing examples: some artsy improv on a resonator slide guitar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjbXUcy1LHU), some Pink Floyd on an electric lap steel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLkkdQOwvTs), a self-taught kid playing Indian/Hindustani classical on a Weissenborn-style acoustic lap-steel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwRvgqxxBGQ).

If you do convert/improvise a $50 lap steel and get some skills on that one, a Weissenborn like the Indian kid has would be a great piece to save pennies for as the next upgrade (and the cheap-but-serviceable import W.s are only like $200). The Weissenborn was a commercialised upgrade from the earliest converted slide guitars, where the maker realised that there was all this wasted space under the now-redundant neck, so lengthened the body all the way to the end:

- Dulcimer: you really can't ever go wrong with dulcimer. A bunch of goons have the $50 cardboard ones and enjoy them, and we can find some serviceable wooden ones around $100. Not ideal for the full range of classical due to lack of chromatics, but can do a decent number of the less-complex or earlier pieces quite well, really strong on medieval and renaissance art music too. Here's a Bach menuet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD8x-erfzow) and here's some of the kind of chill meandering dulcimer lends itself to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcllkBdAfF8).

- Autoharp: I had been thinking hammered dulcimer, but they're just a bit bulkier and a good bit pricier than you're looking, and though the autoharp is played quite differently, it kind of seems to me they'd scratch the same itch. For your interests, I wouldn't so much do 3-chord chump on autoharp, as focus on getting melodic playing down. There are a zillion used autoharps out there since they're just not in style these days (but were huge in the past, and thousands used in schools). Don't buy just any used one, but we have some advice in the thread here on how to pick a decent used one, or you can just post a pic here of what you're looking at. They're on Craigslist and eBay all the time for under $100 used.

In any case, here's some artsy melodic playing on autoharp: a Chopin nocturen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_BmI6f-Wg), electrified but a very simple arrangement of Dvorak (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0fTFX3yzKw), and the clip I always love to post, a Civil War era ballad with some great melodic playing between the singing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyxL5KTsIwQ).

- Native American flute: this is probably one of the simplest choices for chill-out wind instruments. It's not too loud, really mellow sound, all but the tiniest ones aren't shrill. Can be had as low as $50 for a good starter. The downside is they only have about an octave of range, and their inherent scale is pretty limited, though you can do shading (partial-covering a fingerhole) to get your chromatic notes. A drone NAF would be even better, but those cost a little more ($125 and up), though always something to upgrade to if you get a single and really enjoy it. Especially if you're traveling with it and going to parties and things, I'd consider a Northern Spirit, since they're like $50 and nigh-indestructible ABS plastic, but still have a traditional look.

I found a smattering of classical NAF clips, so with a little puzzling it's not at all impractical: a little Bach (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=543CHOA3y2o), and here's some general improvisation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbnYr181TZ4). Honestly, NAF is just one of those instruments it's just extremely easy to sound good on with minimal effort. Arguably, that has a pernicious effect of tons of players just dicking around with it and not ever really challenging themselves since generic "chill, dark, vaguely spiritual" is just so drat easy to do there's no need to actually sit down and do boring things like plot out scales and arrangements. But that's maybe imposing a Puritanical ethic on an instrument just because it's simple and intuitive.

What I really like is drone NAF, and there's this one single dude Allen Ray (I think he's an American expat in Korea) who has a bunch of amazing tracks of his collection of drone flutes, including some huge bass ones. If you like even one of this guy's tracks, you'll probably end up watching all... wait, this guy has 416 clips? Fine, they mostly sound pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpa8bjLkh3E

- Swedish bagpipe: the Swedish is a bit above your intended price range (they're running $385 these days from Seth Hamon). Swedish isn't terribly hard to learn, and with the synthetic reeds (you definitely want those) the reed tweaking is pretty minimal once you get the basics set to your liking. Limited range of an octave, partially chromatic. Also the kind of music the sackpipa (neo)traditionally plays are generally rather stately Nordic baroque-gone-peasantish dance pieces, which can be loosened up a bit into less-structured airs. Not quite as quiet as the NAF, but quieter than the majority of bagpipes, so not any harsher than, say, clarinet. You've probably seen several clips, but here's Olle (the guy who runs the main instructional site) playing the first song I ever learned on mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ82aOO4S-I

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 23, 2012

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
This is totally awesome. If I really like folk metal and that Nordic/viking sound, have tiny lady-hands, and want to sound really epic on my lonesome by a campfire in the snow, what would you suggest? Bonus points if there is a big base of traditional Nordic music to learn from! I'm pretty much willing to dive in at any difficulty.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Lieutenant Dan posted:

This is totally awesome. If I really like folk metal and that Nordic/viking sound, have tiny lady-hands, and want to sound really epic on my lonesome by a campfire in the snow, what would you suggest? Bonus points if there is a big base of traditional Nordic music to learn from! I'm pretty much willing to dive in at any difficulty.

Good deal, several ways to go with this. Strings are of great use here, but don't travel as well as small winds. Your ideal combination might be to learn a little of each if that doesn't take excessive brainpower.

- Fipple flutes: The are several Scandinavian flutes roughly akin to tinwhistles, particularly the härjedalspipa (six fingerholes on top) and spilåpipa (eight fingerholes on top). Both of those are Swedish (neighbouring countries probably have equivalents), and their scales don't quite correspond to the standard Western scale of the tinwhistle. I haven't messed with trying to play Swedish on tinwhistle, but when I have I've been able to get the special chromatic notes by either just half-holing, or if I'm reliably half-holing one note for a whole song I might just cover part of the hole with electric tape to adapt the notes I need. I also tried playing a few Swedish tunes on Native American flute, and with a little cross-fingering I've got a few sounding good.

If you want to go the fipple route, a few options:
  • Buy a tinwhistle, recorder, or NAF and learn to play Scandi tunes on the stock instrument, occasionally maybe making some temporary tuning adjustments with tape. If cold is a bit issue, you may want an ABS plastic tinwhistle ($40ish) vice a $10 metal. Tinwhistles are available in a variety of keys, so easy to match to whatever Scandi tradition you want to pursue. NAF tends to be in A Pentatonic Minor, which is probably good for a lot of that area. A good plastic one can be had for $25 for a cheaper but decent one (Sounds We Make) or $50 for a Northern Spirit.
  • Next option, same as above but either order it from the maker with a custom fingering style better matching one of the Swedish pipas, or order one with no fingerholes drilled and DIY. In either case, that would require first figuring out what pipa to emulate, and then either you or the maker need to figure out what size and position of fingerholes that would entail. A little more involved but could bring interesting results, and definitely unique and fusion-y.
  • Buy a wooden pipa from Scandinavia, but with the exchange rate they're probably well over $100, plus if backpacking is the plan you may not want to take your nice one out in the wet.

Here's a spilapipa that's equivalent in pitch to a D tinwhistle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf72ansiGrk), a polska on a Gmaj härjedalspipa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrNPb4TDDg), and here's a Finnish polka on a standard plastic D tinwhistle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHYiTbUfHo).

- Overtone flute: Overtone flute is a bit less of a "play a wide variety of complex tunes" and more a zone-out instrument. Kind of like a brighter didjeridoo with more melody, and based on a fipple. These are extremely cheap and easy to make from PVC in a variety of configurations, and if backpacking is key it'd be easy to strap one to the outside of a back for little weight, and the only fragile bit to cover up is just the air window. These appear all over Europe, but the Swedish ones are called seljefløyte.

Here's an overtone flute duet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVmKKKWGxSI), and here's a guy just chilling in his room (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6pjIh8HHP4).

- Swedish bagpipe: discussed pretty well above on this page, so I take it you're not unfamiliar. If weatherproofing is crucial, you can pretty easily make a synthetic bag for one for a few bucks and a couple hours of measuring and squinting, and the Hamon ones are synthetic pipes and synth reeds, so near indestructible and sound great. Also very compact, folded down they're smaller than a soprano ukulele.

There's also the Viking panpipes, discussed back at the top of page 20 here. A travel instrument among the Vikings themselves. Rather limited, but an easy chillout jam instrument. You could probably make a synthetic version pretty easily too if durability is key.

On to string instruments. Most of the following instruments probably wouldn't be fun to haul far camping, unless you're just walking from your truck a mile or less like you'd carry a guitar. But if so, rock on.

- Bowed lyre: These are pretty easy and not too expensive; the Finnish jouhikko is the most popular of these, but most of Germanic Europe had them at points. A bit rougher/edgier sounding than the mellow plucked lyres, but does a great dark and stark effect.

A Danish singing group with both plucked/strummed and bowed lyre (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_7ax7OPpOI). Crazy Polish dude playing his in a folk-metal band (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvaXuHIIqQU). Simple acoustic solo Shetland tune (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICx9R2u-ZI).

- Mouthbow: One of these wouldn't be bad to take trekking, and cheap/easy to make. I'm not sure there's clear documentation of these historically in Scandinavia, though they popped up in most tribal cultures in the world that ever had archery. We do have evidence of the jawharp in Scandinavia though, which is the same concept, but has the good fortune to survive being buried for centuries. Mouthbow is covered above on this page and linked back to earlier in the thread I believe. Here's a 2-string Siberian mouthbow for sound (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXXYhjnvdKc).

- Lap dulcimer: Not sure how earlier the dulcimer arrived in the North, but the drony sound certainly fits what we know think of as medieval. Actual Scandi instruments (Swedish hummel, Icelandic langspil, Norwegian langeleik) are a bit pricey, but American dulcimers can do the exact same role and at $100 or less you can take them camping without worrying too much.

Here's an American dulcimer playing a sackpipa tune (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l45-8Cauu2o), and a Norwegian langeleik (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhUOLThuk10), and Icelandic langspil played with a beating-stick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDHzqYMQhRs).

- Plucked lyre or zither: covered pretty extensively in the thread, this is the instrument of the bards who popularised Beowulf. Usually just 5-7 notes available, so very simple and intuitive but not highly flexible. Soft mellow sound, very easy to learn. Kantele is similar but generally laid in the lap, and has come up a number of times in this thread.

Nice example of both plucking and strumming on a Saxon lyre (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0OxqqW_68). Dude playing a largeish 10-string Latvian kokle with amazing skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iq7Pin0XLk

- Fretted strings: This is a bit ahistorical, but here's a guy playing basically a modern small/twangy octave mandolin while singing a Viking ballad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAO7_GryWTM). Here's another polska on a cheap bozouki (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAI12KluYrI). Similarly, and here's a way to get that sound on the cheap ($100ish), a Swedish guy playing a trad polska on a Turkish baglama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZ0NdzAvPU

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 24, 2012

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I have absolutely fallen in love with the jouhikko! Unfortunately I could only find one for sale on the whole internet right now, so I'm going to find a local store and hunt around some more. I have a question, though - all the jouhikkos (I probably butchered the plural there) I'm seeing have three strings, but the ones in your pictures have five - is one more traditional or more common?

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 24, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Finnish jouhikkos tend to have three strings, some have two, some have four. My vague impression is that the neighbouring countries tend more to the square body shape and 3-4 strings. For a beginner, I'd really stick with three. The big photo of Roberto DeLira shows a rather specialised instrument for his folk-metal playing; both that number of strings, as well as the crossbar, are somewhat unusual. I'd start out easy with three.

So far as buying one, what country are you in? I know a few US makers who can probably make one for $250 or less, and there's a Brit making them for £250, and a Finn for €320 (link). If cash is an issue, and/or you want a beater for packing, I've made a 2-stringer out of a piece of 2x4, scrap sheet of thin wood, two scrap guitar tuners, some old guitar strings, and a chunk of any hard material for a bridge. Took me well under two hours. If you're in a hurry to get one and don't want to wait on ordering one, that'd be a shortcut while you wait for a maker to build you one.

You mention dropping by shops; do you live in Finland? If so, you might find some if you call around, but anywhere else outside of Scandinavia it's dang unlikely. I got one off of eBay in the US for pretty cheap, but that was all luck.

If you find a luthier make you one, I'd spend quite a bit of time on GoogleImages looking at all the variants to find an aesthetic you like. Search under the various names: jouhikko, hiiukannel, talharpa, strakharpa, tagelharpa, Shetland gue, etc. The basic principle is the same, but there are wide range of body types, from pretty staid and formal boxy ones, to really kind of wild and twisted ones. Again, the Finns tend (at least these days) to have the weird looking ones with offset and narrow hand-holes, the Swedes/Norwegians and the Estonians more formal/clean lines and a wide gap in the yoke.

So far as getting ideas on playing, I'd google those terms and check out forum discussions. In English, it's mainly lyre players and dulcimer players who discuss them. Here're some good posts disussing the learning experience: link. If you speak a Scandi language, you can probably find a much wider body of fellow players who can give advice, especially in Finland where the instrument is apparently really reviving well. If you're an English speaker, you'll probably want to get into email contact with some friendly players willing to answer your noob questions, maybe even Skype with them a bit to see and hear how they play.

Glad to hear you've found an instrument that so appeals to you!

EDIT: Here's a really awesome clip of hiuukannel, with some plucked passages and great singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujHukVRDgas

If it's not too nerdy, you might even want to start taking notes as you wander YouTube and Google, get a feel for what musicians out there you enjoy, what other hobbyist players you can message on forums or Facebook. Yes it'd be nice if there was a huge centralised Bowed Lyre Forum in English, but on the bright side there is a ton of info scattered in the books and crannies. YahooGroups Anglo Saxon Lyre Group has a fair bit of bowed lyre as well, worth signing up for that, plus you can search their archives.

EDIT2: and an Estonian making hiiurootsi kannel for €150: http://www.kandlekoda.ee/indexen.htm

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 25, 2012

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I'm in California, so I thought maybe looking around the hipster parts of town in antique music stores might work. I would love to get one made, though, but in the meantime how would one best go around making a jouhikko? Is it hard getting it in tune and sounding right?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I'm in California, so I thought maybe looking around the hipster parts of town in antique music stores might work. I would love to get one made, though, but in the meantime how would one best go around making a jouhikko? Is it hard getting it in tune and sounding right?

Hunting for one locally isn't worth the time unless your area is heavily populated by Finns. In years of instrument shopping, I have never seen one of these in a US store.

So far as making one, here's my very rough Paint sketch of how I made mine. If you or a friend have really basic woodworking tools this would take less than a couple of hours to get the basic structure made, and then just adjusting and tweaking.

If this is of interest to you, I can elaborate and offer some rough measurements.

EDIT: Simon Chadwick built a pretty simple one; what I have above is slightly simpler in that I don't relive the top for the soundboard to lie flat, and don't have a back, and by using just one piece it's not as angular, but generally speaking his site has some great angled pics of a similarm instrument: http://www.simonchadwick.net/jouhikko/

So far as ordering one, you just need to check a few makers and see whose prices and style you like, bearing in mind that most of them can probably approximate whatever style appeals to you, within their aesthetic. For an American, the main one I know is Chris Nogy at Instruments of Antiquity. Like almost all the makers, he's mainly a hobbyist with a day job, but really likes music. He's made a few and knows the instrument, though honestly about anyone who makes dulcimers or other folk instruments coul probably whip you up one pretty quick either by eyeball or with a $10 set of plans from online. There's the Estonian I link above who makes them for €150 too. Bottom line, there are probably several folks who can make you a fully-custom bowed lyre to your specifications for probably $300 or less, so this is way cheaper than buying even a decent Korean factory-made guitar.

Not at all to foist you off, since I'm happy to help, but at this stage of knowing what you want the Yahoo Anglo Saxon Lyre group linked above might be the next logical step. If you post there with a "Wanting to learn jouhikko in California" you can probably get good advice on makers, knocking out a quick DIY one, learning resources, etc. I know the basics of a lot of things, but once you know what you want, meeting the niche hobbyists is good.

Let me know if you have questions that you can't get answered, and keep us posted! Feeling good so far?

EDIT:

quote:

Is it hard getting it in tune and sounding right?

Tuning is pretty easy, especially with only 2-3 strings. For playing, even though I haven't played fiddle in years, on my jouhikko I don't have much trouble getting a decent tone out of an open (unfingered) string. But using the backs of the fingers to change the notes takes a little getting used to. This is still going to be way easier than violin, and with the non-metal strings it doesn't sound as screechy even when you get the bowing wrong. From what I read the synthetic options are way less hassle than horsehair, so I'd go with those. Either bundles of thin plastic cord (imitating horsehair) or I think some folks just use nylon guitar strings after roughing them up a little with fine sandpaper so they "catch" against the bow better to vibrate. Again, worth checking out the Yahoo Group for the specialists.

So there's a little bit of lead in to get the basics of technique and sounding good, but that aside it's a pretty simple/primitive instrument.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 26, 2012

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I didn't have anything to do this afternoon, so I whipped up a quick diddley bow with a plank of poplar, an empty beer bottle, and an old metal tin I had laying around. I glued a steel nut to the tin to act as a bridge.

Here are a few pictures:

It sounds decent, but my microphone is crappy. Here's a terrible recording:

http://soundcloud.com/phamnuwen/diddley-bow

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Seriously great advice, I'm definitely looking for a more chill thing to play rather than a "let's get this party STARTED" sort of thing.

I'm really liking the Autoharp actually. It's a pretty fantastic sounding instrument, and pretty rare to see around nowadays. I'm going to digest this advice and talk it over with the wife, I really appreciate all the help.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SquadronROE posted:

Seriously great advice, I'm definitely looking for a more chill thing to play rather than a "let's get this party STARTED" sort of thing.

I'm really liking the Autoharp actually. It's a pretty fantastic sounding instrument, and pretty rare to see around nowadays. I'm going to digest this advice and talk it over with the wife, I really appreciate all the help.

Good deal, have you seen the autoharp megapost on page 4 of the thread?

Autoharp is really easy to start on, playing a chord is literally just pushing a button and strumming. The more complex melodic work takes some skill, but your initial "google the chords to a Beatles song and just strum them" come extremely quick. You're really going to want some kind of electronic tuner solution for all those strings, either a smartphone or a small clip-on tuner. It's easy to tune with a tuner, but trick to do by ear if you're not used to it.

Check out the buying info linked in the megapost; I can post some images later of "here's what old ones you don't want look like vs. here's what 1960s and later look like" for reference.

In the meantime, a few motivational clips:

- Some White Stripes in really basic chording; if you have a good sense of rhythm and do some practise you could conceivably be at this point in a month or two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVDqXVK_dQ
- This is some pretty easy semi-melodic style, then transitioning to a more complex melodic style, on a classic minor-key Christmas carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ganQoOITzN0
- And a really fancy bit of melody work on some Irish jigs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKApkQe2Jk

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

- And a really fancy bit of melody work on some Irish jigs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKApkQe2Jk

:aaa: Holy poo poo

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Well, I think I know what I'm putting on my Christmas list this year.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

I'd try checking the NMD:ML goon thread on Bluegrass music: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3385681

I know there are tons of relatively cheap fiddles (mostly Chinese, and some Eastern European) available online, but I'm not familiar with which brands. I'd ask there, and also do some basic Google research. If you can find a mention of a reputable brand, you can't go too wrong. Though I would also weigh the costs of getting a used semi-okay instrument online vice a new cheapie. There are just so many zillion violins on the market, you can't help but find a good deal on a decent Czech or something make somewhere. Heck, I'd even check whatever your Craigslist equivalent in Norway is.

Though speaking of Norway and fiddles, if you ever do get serious about fiddle you owe it to yourself to save up for one of these:

Hardanger fiddle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardanger_fiddle

Basically, a violin with open-tuned strings, a slightly flatter bridge for bowing multiple strings, and four extra sympathetic strings which are not stroked with the bow, but just vibrate due to the vibrating air around them, giving these resonant effect.

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-WGo4N8h8&feature=related

Do note: if you happen to buy a relatively sturdy cheapie fiddle, and are willing to butcher it, there are some folks who have had musical success (if not aesthetic) converting cheap fiddles to Hardangers. Here is one such fellow, who's a mad genius of musical experiments: http://dennishavlena.com/hardangr.htm

And dang, here's another one with some great pics: http://feedbacksolo.wordpress.com/

That settles it: get a cheap fiddle, prioritising getting one that's not Chinese, and ideally rather over-built and clunky (to give you more meat for conversion). Play it for 6-12mo or so, and if you like it then convert it. I would also recommend that, even if you get a normal fiddle, that you consider swapping out the classical strings for Norwegian folk-strings which are made to accommodate alternate tunings. Everyone plays the drat fiddle GDAE, so even if you don't intend to play purely Norwegian, try some alternate Norwegian tunings even if you're playing Irish or whatever, give yourself some cultural distinction.

I'm going to give this a go! I have a cheapo Czechoslovakian-made student violin (to give you an idea of the age, it was made back in the era when Czech violins were the cheap ones and Chinese violins were basically unheard of outside China. Oh, the early '80s). It is pretty sturdy so I think it can survive the higher tension. I've ordered mandolin strings for the sympathetics and a hardanger bridge. Still debating whether or not to order a new tailpiece and chinrest since the current ones look kinda cheap and out-dated. (Did I mention this thing was made in the early '80s? Because yeah) I'm thinking about stripping the varnish and applying a good oil varnish as well instead of the super orange stuff it currently has, and maybe adding the ink rosing that is traditional on Hardanger fiddles. I like the way the pegs look in the wordpress link, so I think I might give that a try, perhaps using 3/4 or 1/2 pegs for the sympathetics in order to fit better between the original pegs. Worst case scenario if it doesn't work I could always take the head off and replace it with the simple block in the other link.

Any words of wisdom before I start hacking this thing apart?

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 29, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

platedlizard posted:

I'm going to give this a go! [Hardanger fiddle]

Any words of wisdom before I start hacking this thing apart?

Hmmm... a few obervations. Have you read the various pages at the Hardanger Fiddle Association of America? Some good gouge there. Bear in mind I'm not a serious luthier, and have no real fiddle experience, but here are just come logical ponderings.

- The advantage of a slightly clunky fiddle to modify would be having a little more meat to work with for relieving the channel for the sympathetics and for cutting the new peg holes. So far as tension, apparently a Hardanger is actually lower tension than a regular fiddle, since its main strings are lighter; the HFAA warns not to use standard violin strings on Hardangers as they're lighter-built and might collapse from the stress.

- Even if you can only fit two extra pegs in the head, as shown in the second article, that's still a legit variant. That's basically what the Swedish låtfiol is.

- HFAA warns that bridge fitting takes a lot of care, since a badly-fit bridge can dig into the top and damage it. You might want to consider doing just 2 sympathetic strings, and modifying the existing bridge if possible. If that's not possible, you may want to closely copy the feet angles of the current bridge.

- So far as strings, there are special Hardanger strings you can buy, but they ones I've seen are a bit pricey. With a little puzzling out, you might be able to figure out what variants of standard strings you could use to achieve the various Hardanger tunings without being too tight or too loose. Do bear in mind, tuning to open tunings is a really significant part of the Hardanger sound. Also you'll want to tune to Just, vice Equal, temperament, since the resonances you get with open tunings and sympathetics depend on the sine waves matching up. The true mathematical Just temperament will do that, the modern Equal temperament is more versatile but less mathematically pure. A cheap electronic tuner will be in Equal, but a good $5 tuning program on a smartphone should have an Just temperament option. Or, you can tune by ear, and listen for the actual alignment of the pulses.

- So far as refinishing, again I am not a violin expert, but my impression is that finish has a big effect on violin sound. Glancing around at some basic Google hits for "refinish violin" most of the advice is along the lines of "no, really, don't." One of the few exceptions being "it's okay to refinish it if you have to do so to unfuck the previous dubmass's lovely attempt at refinishing." So if you tamper with it, it has to be that it has a really poorly-done (sound-wise, not just visually) finish, or you have a great plan to finish it in a way that will scientifically improve the sound due to your great research and not just look better, or you honestly just don't care either way. If the last, hell, you can just do the inkwork over the old finish with a Sharpie at that point. If you want to strip, ink, refinish, I would definitely go to a specifically violin-related forum to get some advice. And be advised the more conservative members might not be terribly supportive of adding sympathetics to a cheap fiddle, so take the smart technical advice but filter out any elitist "why would you want to do that, the violin is perfect as it is" stodginess.

Comparison of Hardanger and violin:

(for comparison to a conversion, see this converted one at Nashville Violins. They sell conversions for $1200).

Note also there are one or two new writeups of Hardanger conversions since I first posted about them a year or so back, like this one from early 2012: http://ecotonalinstruments.blogspot.com/2011/11/hardanger-project.html

In any case, sounds like a fun project. Just read up on the issues, measure twice and cut once, and all that. Just me personally, but I would suggest trying the most minimal changes first just to make sure you're enjoying the project, maybe just add two pegs, make their channel under the fingerboard, and run them through the stock bridge. Tune to an alternate tuning and give it a whirl. If you enjoy playing that, then maybe ponder fancier steps, starting with flattening out the bridge for easier multi-string bowing, and then whatever aesthetic stuff down the road. I'd fear otherwise you'll get frustrated partway through and end up with a stripped fiddle and some parts. There's some virtue in just getting playing as soon as expedient.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 30, 2012

RasputinsGhost
Mar 22, 2005
Russia's Greatest Spectral Love Machine
Hey TTFE, I really want a baglama saz and/or a setar. do you know any american/european sellers/brands that are good for these besides Lark in the morning? thanks!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I bought a tin whistle, a Clarke in D. It's cool, but drat I feel like I have to barely breathe into it on the lowest note or else it'll just pop into the second octave. Is this just a practice thing, or am I sucking at technique?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Hmmm... a few obervations. Have you read the various pages at the Hardanger Fiddle Association of America? Some good gouge there. Bear in mind I'm not a serious luthier, and have no real fiddle experience, but here are just come logical ponderings.

- The advantage of a slightly clunky fiddle to modify would be having a little more meat to work with for relieving the channel for the sympathetics and for cutting the new peg holes. So far as tension, apparently a Hardanger is actually lower tension than a regular fiddle, since its main strings are lighter; the HFAA warns not to use standard violin strings on Hardangers as they're lighter-built and might collapse from the stress.

- Even if you can only fit two extra pegs in the head, as shown in the second article, that's still a legit variant. That's basically what the Swedish låtfiol is.

- HFAA warns that bridge fitting takes a lot of care, since a badly-fit bridge can dig into the top and damage it. You might want to consider doing just 2 sympathetic strings, and modifying the existing bridge if possible. If that's not possible, you may want to closely copy the feet angles of the current bridge.

- So far as strings, there are special Hardanger strings you can buy, but they ones I've seen are a bit pricey. With a little puzzling out, you might be able to figure out what variants of standard strings you could use to achieve the various Hardanger tunings without being too tight or too loose. Do bear in mind, tuning to open tunings is a really significant part of the Hardanger sound. Also you'll want to tune to Just, vice Equal, temperament, since the resonances you get with open tunings and sympathetics depend on the sine waves matching up. The true mathematical Just temperament will do that, the modern Equal temperament is more versatile but less mathematically pure. A cheap electronic tuner will be in Equal, but a good $5 tuning program on a smartphone should have an Just temperament option. Or, you can tune by ear, and listen for the actual alignment of the pulses.

- So far as refinishing, again I am not a violin expert, but my impression is that finish has a big effect on violin sound. Glancing around at some basic Google hits for "refinish violin" most of the advice is along the lines of "no, really, don't." One of the few exceptions being "it's okay to refinish it if you have to do so to unfuck the previous dubmass's lovely attempt at refinishing." So if you tamper with it, it has to be that it has a really poorly-done (sound-wise, not just visually) finish, or you have a great plan to finish it in a way that will scientifically improve the sound due to your great research and not just look better, or you honestly just don't care either way. If the last, hell, you can just do the inkwork over the old finish with a Sharpie at that point. If you want to strip, ink, refinish, I would definitely go to a specifically violin-related forum to get some advice. And be advised the more conservative members might not be terribly supportive of adding sympathetics to a cheap fiddle, so take the smart technical advice but filter out any elitist "why would you want to do that, the violin is perfect as it is" stodginess.

Comparison of Hardanger and violin:

(for comparison to a conversion, see this converted one at Nashville Violins. They sell conversions for $1200).

Note also there are one or two new writeups of Hardanger conversions since I first posted about them a year or so back, like this one from early 2012: http://ecotonalinstruments.blogspot.com/2011/11/hardanger-project.html

In any case, sounds like a fun project. Just read up on the issues, measure twice and cut once, and all that. Just me personally, but I would suggest trying the most minimal changes first just to make sure you're enjoying the project, maybe just add two pegs, make their channel under the fingerboard, and run them through the stock bridge. Tune to an alternate tuning and give it a whirl. If you enjoy playing that, then maybe ponder fancier steps, starting with flattening out the bridge for easier multi-string bowing, and then whatever aesthetic stuff down the road. I'd fear otherwise you'll get frustrated partway through and end up with a stripped fiddle and some parts. There's some virtue in just getting playing as soon as expedient.

Thank you!

I've put some thought into tuning, right now I'm going to use violin strings with mandolin sympathetics and see how that works. Part of the issue is the expense, as you noted, but also because I'm not entirely sure I'm going to stick with hardanger tuning in the long term. Tuning violin strings to hardanger tuning is relatively easy, (the most common scheme is ADAE, although in reality the pitch goes up a step so it's really BEBF+, confusing I know. Violin tuning is GDAE) I have no idea if the reverse is true! In any case, replacing strings is fairly easy if I decide to switch to hardanger strings.

I already have a good electronic tuner and I'm relatively good at tuning by ear. I don't have a smartphone, however.

The låtfiol is interesting. Looking around there is definitely some experimentation with sympathetic strings in a variety of violin-family instruments, luthiers getting creative :D If I can't fit fours strings in I'll try two. I ordered a set of 1/4 pegs for the sympathetics to see if they would fit better than full sized between the existing pegs. Still, there is a stability problem with only one wall of wood in the pegbox to hold the new pegs if I take them through the back side.

As for refinishing, I still want to do it (mainly because the current finish is hideous. Its that ugly bright orange high-gloss finish that you only see in cheap student violins, I'm not sure how removing and replacing it could make the fiddle any worse, to be honest) but it's definitely something I'm researching. I'm not going to head off to Home Depot and grab some furniture varnish, although that might have some hilarious results. Maestro and a few other forums have some interesting threads on the subject that I have been reading.

As for the bridge, cutting the feet is something that I'm probably going to leave to a real luthier. When I had a new bridge cut for my other violin several years ago it cost about $60, and was well worth it, especially since he replaced the soundpost at the same time for free. The old post looked like a whittled twig! But that's a whole 'nother post entirely!

Worst case scenario I'll end up destroying a $200 craigslist violin that I don't play anyway, and I might have some fun while I'm doing it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

platedlizard posted:

I've put some thought into tuning, right now I'm going to use violin strings with mandolin sympathetics and see how that works. Part of the issue is the expense, as you noted, but also because I'm not entirely sure I'm going to stick with hardanger tuning in the long term.

Not sure if this might be helpful or not, but for sympathetic strings in Indian instruments you can buy coils of just the gauge you need. Sitar tends to use #0, or .009 gauge. Sarangi, also a bowed instrument, uses pretty much the same gauge, a mix of mostly .010 strings and two .008 strings. In mando packs I think the smallest string is gauged around .011, which isn't that far from what you'd need, but the other strings are going to be a little too thick and high tension once you get them tuned. Since you're not playing these strings and they stay in tune better, its good to have a light string.

Whatever gauge you like, you can order a coil of it from Ali Akbar College Store.

http://www.aacmstore.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=119&products_id=381

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

Hey TTFE, I really want a baglama saz and/or a setar. do you know any american/european sellers/brands that are good for these besides Lark in the morning? thanks!

EDIT: are you ordering it in Europe or the US? There are a few decent sellers local to Germany that I know of. But if US, best buying off eBay.

Lark is generally overpriced; your best bet is going to be eBay, and generally by checking out who's got a lot of good feedback specifically for selling instruments (as opposed to a thousand good feedback for selling carpets, and two ticked-off feedbacks for selling crappy instruments). If you want I can do my common-sense scan of sellers and say who looks legit, but first you have to choose between the two instruments, since though very similar in appearance the sounds are somewhat different, and playing styles very different. The main layman's difference I've noticed in sound is that the baglama is a bit louder and janglier, setar a bit softer and mellower.

quote:

So I bought a tin whistle, a Clarke in D. It's cool, but drat I feel like I have to barely breathe into it on the lowest note or else it'll just pop into the second octave. Is this just a practice thing, or am I sucking at technique?

Pretty common issue; pretty much all the notes have a slightly differing breath pressure window, even from their neighbours, so a pressure that holds the E in the first octave might be a tiny bit higher than D's threshhold to jump. Best thing to do is keep the 'whistle handy, and throughout the day just reach over and grab it, and blow your absolute softest on that bottom D, and increase incrementally until it sounds a proper note without jumping, and just hold that for several 5-10 second stretches. Do that for a few days and it should sink it.

platedlizard posted:

Thank you!

I've put some thought into tuning, right now I'm going to use violin strings with mandolin sympathetics and see how that works. Part of the issue is the expense, as you noted, but also because I'm not entirely sure I'm going to stick with hardanger tuning in the long term. Tuning violin strings to hardanger tuning is relatively easy, (the most common scheme is ADAE, although in reality the pitch goes up a step so it's really BEBF+, confusing I know. Violin tuning is GDAE) I have no idea if the reverse is true! In any case, replacing strings is fairly easy if I decide to switch to hardanger strings.

Have you considered getting a G string of a slightly lighter(?) gauge, like one made for a different size of violin, in order to be able to get up to A while still staying at G pressure? Or are you seeing no issue getting a standard G string up to A and keeping it there?

quote:

I already have a good electronic tuner and I'm relatively good at tuning by ear. I don't have a smartphone, however.

The trick with "good at tuning by ear" is that if you're good at tuning to Equal fifths by ear, you need to readjust mentally a bit to tune to perfect (Just) fifths by ear. It's a bit hard to explain, but if you read up on it a little it'll make sense. For me, especially on fretted string instruments, I was aware that Equal didn't quite sound as "right", especially on drone instruments. I was so relieved years later to find out that was because I was trying to tune Just without knowing it, and not just bad at tuning. A perfect fifth "sings' sweeter than Equal, and that "singing" is part of what activates the sympathetics and also the unbowed (at that second) open-tuned strings.

quote:

The låtfiol is interesting. Looking around there is definitely some experimentation with sympathetic strings in a variety of violin-family instruments, luthiers getting creative :D

There are a ton of them; sympathetic strings hit Europe sometime towards the late Middle Ages or early Renaissance, and got put into a lot of things before dying off in modern Classical music, maybe in the 1700s-1800s. Things like the Hardanger and latfiol are art-music influenced, but remained in folk culture after they became passe' in high society.

Dig, for example, the viola d'amore:

quote:

As for refinishing,...
As for the bridge,...
Worst case scenario I'll end up destroying a $200 craigslist violin that I don't play anyway, and I might have some fun while I'm doing it.

Good attitude, should be a learning experience. I'd definitely read up on the inking if you're going to do that. There's probably a trad way to do it, and there may well be some smarter modern way to do it. The real trick, I would imagine, is not letting the ink bleed outside the lines via capillary action. I'll be curious to hear what the trick is and how you make it work.

Good call on the bridge, no point in false-economy with too much DIY. For finishing, so long as you do your reading and grasp things like the "ground layer" and all that, sure, venture forth.

Should be fun, looking forward to seeing it. Is this like "done by next summer" or are you about to tackle right on this critter and finish up over the holidays?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 30, 2012

RasputinsGhost
Mar 22, 2005
I think I want a baglama saz. I'm looking around on ebay now but would appreciate a scan from you. Thanks!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

RasputinsGhost posted:

I think I want a baglama saz. I'm looking around on ebay now but would appreciate a scan from you. Thanks!

No worries. When you say baglama, are you referring to the overall family, or specifically the baglama-size within the family? The cura saz, the smallest member, about 29" long overall, is the cheapest on eBay, routinely running under $100.

If you want a larger one, the sellers often aren't totally clear on the sizing levels, but between eyeballing, video-clips, and looking for the ones around 40" long, you can get a pretty good idea. Here are a few sellers with good reps that appear to have good products:

- This guy has quite a few good-looking largish saz in the $140-170 range, and great feedback specifically for string instruments (unlike some other guys who mostly have feedback for Turkish coffee sets): http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAK-TURKISH-CHERRY-WOOD-LONG-NECK-SAZ-With-FREE-CASE-NEW-/200838200382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec2e3bc3e

While I was looking, I ran across a variant that I think I've barely or not at all mentioed in the thread: cümbüş. Kind of like how the immigrant Dopyera brothers in the US invented the entire resonator/Dobro instrument line, at the start of the last century the Cümbüş family in Istanbul invented a banjo-ified line of Turkish instruments, including oud, saz, and tanbur. I believe it was with the same intent as the Dopyera brothers, to make quiet string instruments assertive enough to record properly onto gramaphone.

Here are a few sellers with cumbus saz (some cura 30", some baglama 40") in the $200-250 range:

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURKISH-CUMBUS-CUMBUSH-CURA-SAZ-BY-ZEYNEL-ABIDIN-/261109826053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccb5bc205
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-40-LONG-NECK-TURKISH-BANJO-CUMBUS-SAZ-w-SOFT-CASE-/380464664518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5895760fc6

And a few clips of cumbus saz:

- Persian classical music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYhqmaaqCU
- Small cura cumbus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnN4fAOi9-w
- There's also a cumbus tanbur, with is 53" long; the tanbur is similar to the saz but a flat, round body, and is used for old Turkish classical music. I can't find any cumbus tanbur clips except for people bowing it like a cello (the "yayli tanbur"), but here's tanbur in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwhJn4T7rOg

So that's the best-looking baglama seller I ran across, who has a decently wide selection, and then a shout-out for the cumbus. Let me know if there are any other auctions you see that look good that you want confirmation on, and what you end up getting.

Are you looking to learn Turkish music, or more to play other genres on the instrument?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Thanks for all your help! Looking forward to gaining some sweet jouhikko skills this winter. :)

RasputinsGhost
Mar 22, 2005

Are you looking to learn Turkish music, or more to play other genres on the instrument?

I'm looking to play more other genres (pop/folk stuff) but if I can learn Turkish music that'd be cool. Thanks a lot TTFE - i think the cura saz is a bit too tinny for my taste, so the longneck like the one you linked to is what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
Also for replacement strings, should I just try to figure out what the gauges are? I want to throw Elixirs on it and see what happens, ha..

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
I just wanted to say that the instruments I picked up from this thread over the two year span it has been going made my Thanksgiving great.
A friend of mind who I never see had picked up a banjo, another friend had a guitar, and I had my NAF & harmonica which led to a super chill night of bullshitting and playing each others instruments.

Good times, thanks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

Thanks for all your help! Looking forward to gaining some sweet jouhikko skills this winter.

Awesome, let us know what you end up buying and/or building. And definitely check out the past discussions on jouhikko and talharpa in the Anglo Saxon Lyre YahooGroup.

FAKEEDIT: Not the smoothest performance, but this is one of the few clips I've seen of American folk music on bowed lyre, and also a cover of Tim Eriksen no less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAzfiEsrOU

quote:

I'm looking to play more other genres (pop/folk stuff) but if I can learn Turkish music that'd be cool. Thanks a lot TTFE - i think the cura saz is a bit too tinny for my taste, so the longneck like the one you linked to is what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
Also for replacement strings, should I just try to figure out what the gauges are? I want to throw Elixirs on it and see what happens, ha..

I wouldn't think there's anything complex about baglama strings; the ones I've seen are just regular loop-end steel strings. So any decent guitar shop should have a micrometer and be able to sell you individual packets of strings of matching gauge.

So far as pop covers (mostly by Turks) and non-Turkish folk (mostly by Scandinavians and Germans) on baglama, there's a good amount of that on YouTube.

- A German Turk does Smells Like Teen Spirit; he has a separate tutorial video for this as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duSD9Sx5jwk
- A Turk does Metallica's Nothing Else Matters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXiHn4E72js
- A pretty well-done, if unusual, take on Michael Jackson's Billy Jean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-W0ar9gUA
- One of several baglama blues clips, this one with a slide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSyatsFM2Aw
- Swedish guy (who also plays Swedish bagpipe) doing a polska: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZ0NdzAvPU
- Polska by a Finnish dude; if you check his other clips he has an interesting really primitive/agro style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gm4c5J_Nk0

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 3, 2012

• Locked thread