Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

“A quiet life would kill you, I think.” ...“Tanchico will not, however. I guarantee that, and by the First Oath, you know it for truth.”
The Shadow Rising(ch17, p. 278).

I forget how she Moraine knows this. From the Aelfinn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

I forget how she Moraine knows this. From the Aelfinn?

Nope, Min told her that she would marry him. That can't very well happen if either he (or she, see: the end of TFoH) are dead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

api call girl posted:

Nope, Min told her that she would marry him. That can't very well happen if either he (or she, see: the end of TFoH) are dead.

That's right. I knew I was forgetting something obvious.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
BIG Book 13 spoiler.

Do Not Read if you haven't read TOM

quote:

Verin murmured, half to herself. “Moiraine did say they were using the Ways. Sooner or later that is going to present us with a real problem.”

The Shadow Rising ch.31, p.496
Oh Verin, you rascal :allears:

I'm amazed that Jordan foreshadowed this so early.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 27, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Whoever it was that said this is Chekhov's masturbatory fantasy was speaking a solid truth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

BIG Book 13 spoiler.

Do Not Read if you haven't read TOM

Oh Verin, you rascal :allears:

I'm amazed that Jordan foreshadowed this so early.

I love that the response to that was "what did she consider a real problem?"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just finished ToM and holy poo poo, everything in this book was amazing. The battle between Mat and the gholam was probably the single best scene in the entire series, beating Dumai's wells by a wide wide margin. The return to Rhuidean (not really a spoiler since you knew it was gonna happen) was really well done too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Just finished ToM and holy poo poo, everything in this book was amazing. The battle between Mat and the gholam was probably the single best scene in the entire series, beating Dumai's wells by a wide wide margin. The return to Rhuidean (not really a spoiler since you knew it was gonna happen) was really well done too.

Oh, come on - nothing beats "Asha'man, gently caress UP THEIR poo poo!" and nothing ever will.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Jedit posted:

Oh, come on - nothing beats "Asha'man, gently caress UP THEIR poo poo!" and nothing ever will.

Probably not, but they're pretty drat close.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Book 13 spoilers.

quote:

Shock turned Siuan’s tongue to stone. This was madness. This was impossible. In a rage she reached for saidar— and suffered her second shock. A barrier lay between her and the True Source, like a wall of thick glass. She stared at Elaida in disbelief. As if to mock her, the radiance of saidar sprang up around Elaida.

The Shadow Rising: (ch. 47, p. 765).

So, I guess Mesaana (Danelle) shielded Suian with inverted weaves so she wouldn't make trouble there? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense, as Suian would have surely noticed being shielded.

EDIT: Also, chapter 48 has what I believe is the introduction of Rand's "gotta be hard" theme.

quote:

I have to be cold and hard as steel. Sharp steel.

(p. 791). Macmillan.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 29, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Book 13 spoilers.

So, I guess Mesaana (Danelle) shielded Suian with inverted weaves so she wouldn't make trouble there? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense, as Suian would have surely noticed being shielded.

Yeah, I get the feeling Amyrlin deposals typically involve the same kind of tradition as of capturing channeling men--i.e. the up-to-13 conspirators link and shield the target. The sequence of events here, if we assume that RJ wasn't just off on his game (which he typically is not, especially given how long this book has been around and could have been fixed), is highly suggestive of that kind of Forsaken involvement. I don't think we actually hear about inverting weaves until the next book, though, so if this was (very likely) intentional RJ probably felt he could get away with it without it being too obvious at first blush.

For that matter, it should be flat out impossible for them to have killed Siuan's Warder before getting into her room and actually surprising her with the coup. So that's more evidence that RJ wanted to point us toward Mesaana or someone of her stature in the coup group.

By the way, I don't think this was EVER twigged to on rasfwrj when we were trying to figure out who Mesaana was. The specifics of the coup are certainly not collected in the wotfaq on Mesaana's identity, which mainly focused on two candidates: Tarna and Danelle. I note that of the two, Tarna was not in on the coup.

Holy poo poo.

e:

Just went through Leigh Butler's tor.com reread on this. She never believed the Tarna candidacy, but I don't think she knew at the time (this part of the re-read was pre-ToM release, almost certainly before she got to read ToM ahead of most everyone else). I'm of the opinion that these two things were intentional and everyone's missed it and now only through the lens of ToM has it all come back into focus.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 29, 2012

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

api call girl posted:

Just went through Leigh Butler's tor.com reread on this. She never believed the Tarna candidacy, but I don't think she knew at the time (this part of the re-read was pre-ToM release, almost certainly before she got to read ToM ahead of most everyone else). I'm of the opinion that these two things were intentional and everyone's missed it and now only through the lens of ToM has it all come back into focus.

Danelle was always by far the strongest candidate, even without this. I think people didn't notice the inverted weaves because they were distracted by the warder issue. Which I'm still a bit puzzled about.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hmm, could maybe read Siuans shock and such as simply not "noticing" until she tried to tap the source? Wouldn't Elaida notice something odd, or would she just think that the mere sight of her was just so awesome Siuan sat there like a lame duck instead of reaching for the source? And there should be some sort of reaction the moment they tried to put their own normal shield in place, right?

Seems like an odd place to put something like that when inverted weaves hadn't been introduced yet. RJ was usually better at foreshadowing/chekov guns than that.

The Warden thing is odd though, because that weave was new to the Forsaken too, but then they might have figured something out / the shadow got their own weaves too spoiler.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

Hmm, could maybe read Siuans shock and such as simply not "noticing" until she tried to tap the source? Wouldn't Elaida notice something odd, or would she just think that the mere sight of her was just so awesome Siuan sat there like a lame duck instead of reaching for the source? And there should be some sort of reaction the moment they tried to put their own normal shield in place, right?

Seems like an odd place to put something like that when inverted weaves hadn't been introduced yet. RJ was usually better at foreshadowing/chekov guns than that.

The Warden thing is odd though, because that weave was new to the Forsaken too, but then they might have figured something out / the shadow got their own weaves too spoiler.

Elaida seems in retrospect to be kind of like that, yeah. And no, I don't think there would be a reaction.

Mesaana had a while to figure out how to wiggle out of the usual Aes Sedai restrictions (swearing on the Oath Rod, for example). She's smart.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

api call girl posted:

Elaida seems in retrospect to be kind of like that, yeah. And no, I don't think there would be a reaction.

Mesaana had a while to figure out how to wiggle out of the usual Aes Sedai restrictions (swearing on the Oath Rod, for example). She's smart.

not anymore she's not

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

If it was a normal shield Suian would see it. She never does even when she realizes it is there.

There would be nothing for Elaida to notice.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

“ISAM!” And the black tide rolled forward, howling wordlessly.

The Shadow Rising (ch56, p. 930)

Lord Perrin Goldeneyes and the Two Rivers! :black101:

Channeling is cool, ya'll, but it's this chapter and the ones with Ituralde later that truly getting my blood pumping hot. Men struggling against the Trolloc hordes when all hope is lost. :black101:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 30, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

If it was a normal shield Suian would see it. She never does even when she realizes it is there.

There would be nothing for Elaida to notice.

There are two things to notice:
A) That Siuan doesn't embrace saidar despite well, them killing her warder and bursting into her room like that.
Elaida might be too daft to notice that or put-two-and-two together (although that would require some serious daftness on her part, not to mention her non-darkfriend allies).

B) When THEY go to put their shield in place, there's already a massive one in place, although "invisible".
We don't know what would happen in this case, but you'd think there be some sort of noticable effect/feel.
Unless Mesaana dropped her own shield *reaaal* quick in the same instance they put their in place, or Siuan would be embracing saidar the moment it dropped (because they don't have a real 13 strong circle if Mesaana is doing her own thing - wouldn't they notice THAT?

So uh, 3 things to notice actually.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 30, 2012

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

There are two things to notice:

B) When THEY go to put their shield in place, there's already a massive one in place, although "invisible".
We don't know what would happen in this case, but you'd think there be some sort of noticable effect/feel.
Unless Mesaana dropped her own shield *reaaal* quick in the same instance they put their in place,

Letting go of an active weave is simple as can be, especially for someone of her level. It's not like she has to unknot a tied weave. And a shield is one of the simplest weaves. A bludgeon of pure spirit.

She can drop it the instant the others start to glow.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 30, 2012

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think people are over thinking things. There are several instances in the series of characters not noticing that they are shielded until they actually try to embrace the source, especially if there is lots of stuff going on that they are paying attention to and they weren't expecting a fight. If you aren't actually holding the power you wouldn't feel anything from the shielding process, and if the person weaving the shield is behind siuan she wouldn't see the weaves.

As for feeling someone channelling, let's not forget that when you are in a room in the heart of the white tower there must be almost constant channelling going on around you, I think it would be reasonable to assume that a person would be desensitised to the sensation of people channelling around you in that environment, it would fade into the background sensory noise.

Also... Susan has been behind a desk since she was raised. She's almost never left the white tower and has gently caress all field experience of combat channelling.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Or... Jordan just hosed up.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I always did read it like her simply not noticing, because that seem to happen all the time unless they are actively trying to fondle their mental disco ball and find out that they can't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wait, if you're cut off from the Source, can you still see weaves? What if you're severed?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, if you're cut off from the Source, can you still see weaves? What if you're severed?

I believe they can see weaves if they are merely blocked because they don't need to be embracing the source to see weaves.

Don't think it's been brought up for severing.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

I believe they can see weaves if they are merely blocked because they don't need to be embracing the source to see weaves.

Don't think it's been brought up for severing.

Yeah you do. There's a bit where Nyneave tells someone to kick her in the ankle so she can see what someone else is doing with the power.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
That's related to Nynaeve's specific condition, not the general case.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just read chapter 15 of The Fires of Heaven and I have to take issue with her actions with regards to teaching Nynaeve the dangers of Tar' and punishing her for lying to her.

quote:

Do you remember what you made me drink the last time I lied to you?” Suddenly a cup was in her hand, full of viscous sickly green liquid; it looked as if it had been scooped from a scummy stagnant pond. “The only time I ever lied to you.
:rolleyes:

The hypocrisy is galling and perfectly illustrative of Egwene's flawed personality. Jordan did a bang up job of making a thoroughly dislikable protagonist. She remains a bitch through and through to the end. A tough and competent woman, but a bitch none the less.

EDIT: Chapter 19 - We get a really good look at Compulsion here. Somehow, the more subtle compulsion that Rahvin uses is much more creepy then the over the top Graendal style compulsion that Moghedien uses earlier on Liandrin. Jordan was good at mind control scenes, which are one of the things that authors often gently caress up.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 1, 2012

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Chapter 26

quote:

For an instant Min saw an image of a raven floating beside her dark hair; more a drawing of the bird than the bird itself. She thought it was a tattoo, but she did not know its meaning.

Book 13 spoiler
The vision above obviously indicates that Carlinya was fated to become Imperial property. However, she got killed in the Tar' fight in TOM. Do we know whether this was just a mistake by Sanderson, or whether it indicates that the pattern is now so disrupted that even Min's visions are no longer certain.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Chapter 26

Book 13 spoiler
The vision above obviously indicates that Carlinya was fated to become Imperial property. However, she got killed in the Tar' fight in TOM. Do we know whether this was just a mistake by Sanderson, or whether it indicates that the pattern is now so disrupted that even Min's visions are no longer certain.

Well from the WOT wiki:
"She is seen wearing a black raven tattoo. This is quite troubling and perhaps a misprint because she has now died, making this viewing unfulfillable. In a recent question and answer session Brandon Sanderson is asked about this and cryptically replies "RAFO." "

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Well from the WOT wiki:
"She is seen wearing a black raven tattoo. This is quite troubling and perhaps a misprint because she has now died, making this viewing unfulfillable. In a recent question and answer session Brandon Sanderson is asked about this and cryptically replies "RAFO." "

Ok then, it seems my speculation may be correct then. That's a very interesting development.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Read A loving Obituary?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Read A loving Obituary?

Read and Find Out

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Read and Find Out

The other way's better. :colbert:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

Men always seemed to think violence could solve anything. If she had had a stout stick, she would have thumped all three of them about the shoulders until they saw reason.

The Fires of Heaven (ch40, p. 580).

You're so dreamy Nyneave :allears:

I'm serious, her internal dialogue is even better than Mat's. :swoon:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 3, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

You're so dreamy Nyneave :allears:

I'm serious, her internal dialogue is even better than Mat's. :swoon:

Nynaeve's nearly consistently the best character in the entire series for that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Read from chapter 37 up through chapter 49 of The Fires of Heaven today. Things of special note - Rand "hears" Lews Therin for the first time, and Mat's luck sense has refined itself to the sound of rolling dice. Heh, that last one would have made a good countable thing if the OP was still doing that.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Read from chapter 37 up through chapter 49 of The Fires of Heaven today. Things of special note - Rand "hears" Lews Therin for the first time, and Mat's luck sense has refined itself to the sound of rolling dice. Heh, that last one would have made a good countable thing if the OP was still doing that.

Rereading that part I found Rand musing about Weiramons banner, which he described to himself as just a few stars short of Lanfears, followed by "But this long nosed man wasn't the forsaken in disguise" :v:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Big Book 12 Spoilers

quote:

I do not speak simply of the Black Ajah, though you must always be watchful for them. Be as suspicious of Verin as you are of Alviarin.
The Fires of Heaven (ch53, p. 830).

Moiraine, how much did you know and suspect? :allears:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 4, 2012

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The prologue of Lord of Chaos.

We finally see what a dumbass Gawyn is. His reaction to the Tower Coup was understandable, but here he just accepts the word of some random peddler that Rand killed Morgase. This is compounded by his refusal to believe Egwene that he didn't later on in this book.

Over the next seven books he quickly climbs the last of the most stubborn and annoying characters in the series. His being a badass can only partially compensate.

Yes, lets kill the messiah and doom the world because street rumors say Rand killed your mother.

:frogout:

As for the Shaido, I hope they get rolled over and obliterated by a random Trolloc army on the way back to the waste.

EDIT: Also to go back to the shielding discussion

Osan'gar says

quote:

He had not been shielded; he would have felt it, and known how to work around or break it, given time, if it was not too strong.
Lord of Chaos (Prologue, p. 72).

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

The prologue of Lord of Chaos.

We finally see what a dumbass Gawyn is. His reaction to the Tower Coup was understandable, but here he just accepts the word of some random peddler that Rand killed Morgase. This is compounded by his refusal to believe Egwene that he didn't later on in this book.

The point is that it's supposed to be REALLY easy to believe every malicious untruth or rumor told about the Dragon (Reborn) because he is already the most reviled and feared man outside the actual Forsaken.

He doesn't believe Egwene, but he makes a promise and follows that promise not to raise a hand against Rand. That's about as much as can be hoped for.

quote:

Over the next seven books he quickly climbs the last of the most stubborn and annoying characters in the series. His being a badass can only partially compensate.

Yes, lets kill the messiah and doom the world because street rumors say Rand killed your mother.

:frogout:

Why not? That's what the Borderlander army coming down here for. So there's obviously some kind of Pattern-established purity test for the Dragon Reborn.

quote:

As for the Shaido, I hope they get rolled over and obliterated by a random Trolloc army on the way back to the waste.

I still half think Therava's remnants of the Shaido will be the bulk of the surviving Aiel from the "remnant of a remnant" prophecy.

quote:

EDIT: Also to go back to the shielding discussion

Osan'gar says

That's after he's already realized he couldn't touch the Source. Not quite the same.

• Locked thread