Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
Does anyone have a link to the California rental carpet replacement guideline--like who's responsible after what time? I can't find the actual law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So my employer is giving me 1 week and $1200 to move from Arizona to North Carolina, and $1000 to ship my car. Will that cover the moving costs? I'm single and live in a small 1 bedroom apartment, so there isn't much to move. I honestly don't know where to start with moving my stuff though. They will pay for a hotel and rental car for 2 weeks when I first get there and am searching for an apartment. Is it possible to have a shipping company pick up my belongings and wait a week or so for me to give them an address to deliver to? Any other ideas on how to handle this?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Super Dude posted:

So my employer is giving me 1 week and $1200 to move from Arizona to North Carolina, and $1000 to ship my car. Will that cover the moving costs? I'm single and live in a small 1 bedroom apartment, so there isn't much to move. I honestly don't know where to start with moving my stuff though. They will pay for a hotel and rental car for 2 weeks when I first get there and am searching for an apartment. Is it possible to have a shipping company pick up my belongings and wait a week or so for me to give them an address to deliver to? Any other ideas on how to handle this?
Can you use the money to rent a UHaul or Budget Truck and a car dolly to tow your car behind the truck? We recently used a moving service that moved my uncle's possessions from a one bed apartment ~800 miles. We had to box everything up and be there to receive the delivery and move the contents into the new apartment ourselves. That cost over $1000. It would have been cheaper to fly down and drive a rental truck up ourselves, but we didn't have the time.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 4, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

goku chewbacca posted:

Can you use the money to rent a UHaul or Budget Truck and a car dolly to tow your car behind the truck? We recently used a moving service that moved my uncle's possessions from a one bed apartment ~800 miles. We had to box everything up and be there to receive the delivery and move the contents into the new apartment ourselves. That cost over $1000. It would have been cheaper to fly down and drive a rental truck up ourselves, but we didn't have the time.

I can use it however I want as long as it's for the process of moving my stuff. One thing I was considering was selling off my furniture and bed, packing up my remaining items (clothes, pictures, tv, computer,etc) and shipping it through Fedex or whatever to my friend's place in Charlotte.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Call up ABF UPack. They can stash your stuff at one of their storage facilities for however long you need. When I moved to Texas from Virginia I used them, I sent off my stuff on one of their trucks then left a few days later and drove down there. When you schedule your move you get the number of the departing facility and the arrival facility, so if you need to delay your move-in for a few days/a week/whatever you just call up your arrival facility and push back your move-in date and they'll hang on to your truck for a little while longer. They won't unload your stuff into a storage unit, it stays on the truck exactly how it was packed. They also only charge by how many feet of trailer space you use, so since I only had one room of an apartment's worth of stuff I only took up 7' so I only paid for 7' of a full size tractor trailer. The move cost me about $800 total I think. They also ship cars. You can choose not to have movers and load/unload the trailer yourself if you want to go even cheaper.

Next time I move I'm going to use them again, the only problem I had while moving was the movers in Virginia showing up late because of traffic.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Call up ABF UPack. They can stash your stuff at one of their storage facilities for however long you need. When I moved to Texas from Virginia I used them, I sent off my stuff on one of their trucks then left a few days later and drove down there. When you schedule your move you get the number of the departing facility and the arrival facility, so if you need to delay your move-in for a few days/a week/whatever you just call up your arrival facility and push back your move-in date and they'll hang on to your truck for a little while longer. They won't unload your stuff into a storage unit, it stays on the truck exactly how it was packed. They also only charge by how many feet of trailer space you use, so since I only had one room of an apartment's worth of stuff I only took up 7' so I only paid for 7' of a full size tractor trailer. The move cost me about $800 total I think. They also ship cars. You can choose not to have movers and load/unload the trailer yourself if you want to go even cheaper.

Next time I move I'm going to use them again, the only problem I had while moving was the movers in Virginia showing up late because of traffic.

So did you choose a trailer or one of those relo-cube things that go on a trailer? Also, where do they drop off the container in an apartment complex?

Also, any suggestions on car-shipping companies, or are those pretty dependent on the city I'm leaving from?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 4, 2012

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Super Dude posted:

Also, any suggestions on car-shipping companies, or are those pretty dependent on the city I'm leaving from?

It's a complete crapshoot with car-shippers. Basically the company you call will pretty much be brokers, even when they claim they have their own trucks. They might have some of their own trucks, but they still contract out most of the work to other truckers, so it makes it really hard to recommend a car shipping company, because whether or not your car is treated well depends on the people they contract out to, and how long it will take to ship depends on how long they take to accumulate enough cars going to your destination.

I just recently went with Dependable Auto Shippers, one of the largest companies, and had fortunately had a good experience. I chose them because they offered a week of free parking at their destination terminal, which wasn't far from the airport I was flying to. I wanted to ship my car early so it would actually be there when I arrived and I wouldn't have to rent a car for weeks. They quoted me an arrival time of 2 weeks, but it ended up getting there in 5 days. So I did have to pay a $9/day fee on the extra days my car stayed at the terminal until my flight arrived, past the original free five days, but it was still cheaper and less hassle than renting a car.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super Dude posted:

I can use it however I want as long as it's for the process of moving my stuff. One thing I was considering was selling off my furniture and bed, packing up my remaining items (clothes, pictures, tv, computer,etc) and shipping it through Fedex or whatever to my friend's place in Charlotte.

That's pretty much what I did, got rid of all the big stuff and about 31 years of crap I've collected over the years. Everything I own fits in my car +15 boxes and a TV (currently stored at my parents house due to the fact that I moved originally I didn't have a job, it was pretty helpful when I had to move again for a job).

I've been in an extended stay hotel for a month now, and I move into my new apartment on the 15th.

I recommended it actually, because it could take longer than two weeks to find a good place to live let alone move in there. I assume you won't be shipping everything to your parents house, so you could just get a small storage locker if you reduce everything to a small enough amount.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Upack quoted me $1800 for the move. Ouch. :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Super Dude posted:

Upack quoted me $1800 for the move. Ouch. :(

I guess you are moving twice as far as me so I guess double the price makes sense :( If you get a change of address package from the post office it comes with a coupon for ABF :ssh: I forget how much it's for though.

I got the trailer because I had nowhere to put a relo-cube since I was moving from an apartment and didn't own enough stuff to make it worthwhile.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I got a Relocube when I moved from Vermont to California. My apartment in Vermont didn't have any space for it, so we ended up having the cube dropped outside a big retailer my husband worked for at the time and borrowing a van from a friend to get our stuff to it. They dropped the cube on the street outside our apartment in California. It was over $2K because of the distance, but it was one of the cheapest options I found for it. Cross-country moves suck like that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Super Dude posted:

You're on the right track here. For a single super dude, I'm assuming you don't have a lot of super nice things. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $1800 to move $500 worth of furniture. You'd do better selling it all locally and buying it again in NC.

Also, if you've never made a cross-country drive across the United States before, it's sort of a neat experience.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Just FYI, I move from southern Texas to northern Virginia in five days. We went with ABF U-Pack and so far I'm happy with the experience. The agent initially quoted us $1800, but when I said "oh my god," he looked up how much the cost of a U-Haul was for the same distance and matched their price, knocking it down to $1300. I thought that was pretty drat cool of him. Talk to the agent rather than doing it through the website. The guy I talked to was chill and understood that that was a lot of money.

Oh, and also, sell almost everything. We are moving with only a bicycle, boxes, a TV, and the dog.

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 7, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Betazoid posted:

Just FYI, I move from southern Texas to northern Virginia in five days. We went with ABF U-Pack and so far I'm happy with the experience. The agent initially quoted us $1800, but when I said "oh my god," he looked up how much the cost of a U-Haul was for the same distance and matched their price, knocking it down to $1300. I thought that was pretty drat cool of him. Talk to the agent rather than doing it through the website. The guy I talked to was chill and understood that that was a lot of money.

Oh, and also, sell almost everything. We are moving with only a bicycle, boxes, a TV, and the dog.

I did the same move in reverse (Northern Virginia to central Texas) with ABF and it was pretty great, their agents were all good to work with and flexible with times and dates since my move-in date here kept jumping around.

My move was cheaper because all I had was boxes and two chairs, moving just myself with no family from a college apartment. I took up a very minimal amount of space in their trailer. I bought all my furniture once I got here, or ordered it in advance and had the delivery set up for the first week I was here.

Are you driving? Fairfax to Waco was ~23 hours and there's no way I was going to do that with a U-Haul. We took three days and stopped in Knoxville and Little Rock for the night en route.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Are you driving? Fairfax to Waco was ~23 hours and there's no way I was going to do that with a U-Haul. We took three days and stopped in Knoxville and Little Rock for the night en route.

Yeah, I'm driving; we have a 30-lb dog and a car to transport. I have to do it in three legs: Texas to Mississippi (where my parents live) is 12 hours; Mississippi to Georgia is 10 hours; Georgia (where my husband is) to Virginia is 9.5 hours. The reason we're not cutting up north is because my husband has been in Georgia for job training and I will be going to his LEO graduation.

And guess what, we already had our first mishap with ABF U-Pack. Because I live in the middle of nowhere, they had to contract out a smaller company (Basse) to get the trailer out to us. Basse apparently lost our reservation, and when I called them this morning to see where the truck was, the manager said "Oh crap. I wish I'd seen this yesterday. We, uh, we'll see what we can do." So instead of arriving at 8:30 AM like I reserved, it will be arriving at 5 pm. I'll have two hours of daylight tonight and most of the day tomorrow to pack it. I really hope we can fit our crap in the five feet that we reserved.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Also, if you've never made a cross-country drive across the United States before, it's sort of a neat experience.

Hell yes it is. In summer 2011 my bf and I drove a civic loaded with all our important poo poo from DC to CA, and it was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. We went up to OH and then back down through the midwest to TX, through NM with a stop at LANL, through Arizona and Nevada, and then we took US 1 from socal all the way up to San Francisco. Everything from NM till SF was incredible, crazy hills and deserts and the grand canyon, big sur...it was awesome. Reserve hotel rooms early each day though, we had to sleep in the car the first night cause every hotel we came across was full.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

M42 posted:

...and then we took US 1 from socal all the way up to San Francisco.

Just a nitpick here: that's California state highway 1. US1 is on the east coast, runs from Key West up to the Canadian border in Maine. Confuses the poo poo out of me whenever a Californian says US1 since in my mind that's Capital Blvd. in Raleigh.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My mistake! I'm used to the east coast, had never been west till then which is probably why I got it mixed up.

aca
Dec 19, 2004
heh
I got quoted $33 a month from usaa for renters insurance. This covers $20000 with $100 deductable. I live in privatized housing on an Air Force base I'm California. Is this high?B

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Deliciousness is not a Burger Crime.
That seems high to me. I would look at Progressive for renters insurance. I know California might be more expensive but I am paying half that for the same coverage through Progressive and there is liability coverage for injury and all that on it too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

aca posted:

I got quoted $33 a month from usaa for renters insurance. This covers $20000 with $100 deductable. I live in privatized housing on an Air Force base I'm California. Is this high?B

It's not crazy high if it's a standalone policy, if it's bundled with auto insurance it's high.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

canyoneer posted:

You're on the right track here. For a single super dude, I'm assuming you don't have a lot of super nice things. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $1800 to move $500 worth of furniture. You'd do better selling it all locally and buying it again in NC.

That's what I did, couldn't find a viable solution moving from Wichita, Kansas to middle of nowhwere Maryland. I shipped 10 boxes of DVDs/Books to my parents, took about 5 boxes and literally stuffed my car to the brim and drove.

As for the cross country drives, depends on the situation. When I drove from Seattle to Kansas 9 years ago, it was amazing, then again I had a suitcase as a passenger, that was amazing. So was the trip I made to Chicago a few years back.

KS to MD sucked big time. I left much later than I had planned, and a big thunderstorm started moving through the area, and my cat was freaking out the whole time. I made it to Mt. Vernon, Il, my cat still wasn't settling down, still wasn't eating, and didn't use the litter box.

After a few hours of restless sleep, the situation hadn't changed, and I checked out at about 4 am, with the plan to punch all the way through that day. That was probably one of the bigger mistakes I had made, it was pitch black for the next few hours until I hit Louisville and the sun came up, and fighting the urge to fall asleep.

My cat had settled down finally, so once I passed the storm at about Lexington, I got to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia. The only thing I would have done differently for that leg was wait about two weeks to see all the leaves changing colors. By the time I made it to Beckley, WV it was about 1 in the afternoon and I was exhausted so I checked into a hotel and passed the gently caress out.

The next day wasn't too bad, more West Virginia and Western Virginia scenery. The worst part was Google Maps took me through some middle of nowhere roads, looked great, but I'd never want to live that far from civilization.

A month ago I moved from Maryland to Cincinnati. The Pennsylvania Turnpike was pretty great, Sandy had just moved through like two days earlier and there was snow all about. Really the two parts that sucked the most this time around were driving though both DC and Columbus during rush hours.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Apartment communities, overrated or desirable? Does it vary from person to person?

I have bad credit due to temporary insanity from a loss in the family causing me to forget student loans. I noticed all of these really nice apartment communities in my area, but they all do credit checks. They're definitely on the high end of my budget, but have some pretty good amenities. My friend lives in nice apartment community and I could totally see myself living in a place like it. Is my worrying about credit checks valid?

Subquestion, is there a way to apply for a nice apartment and still get it with bad credit?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Apartment communities, overrated or desirable? Does it vary from person to person?

I have bad credit due to temporary insanity from a loss in the family causing me to forget student loans. I noticed all of these really nice apartment communities in my area, but they all do credit checks. They're definitely on the high end of my budget, but have some pretty good amenities. My friend lives in nice apartment community and I could totally see myself living in a place like it. Is my worrying about credit checks valid?

Subquestion, is there a way to apply for a nice apartment and still get it with bad credit?

The larger complexes do credit checks mainly because the property owners can't possibly interview everyone individually. It's a basic 'on paper' check to make sure you'll pay rent. It's impossible to know what their threshold his for bad credit is - people who rent run the gamut. So give it a shot.

Amenities or no, with "not great" credit your best bet is to find a local landlord with only a few properties. I've always favored older houses, and usually they're owned and maintained by someone local - and I have never had a credit check. Often they'll ask for a pay stub or maybe a reference, but showing up with check in hand for first month's + security deposit has had my application approved immediately a couple of times.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Do those velcro/command strips actually work for hanging things on walls? I have a cool Jackalope I got for christmas last year which is still waiting to go on the wall. I don't have a drill and just driving a nail into the wall will not work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jet Set Jettison posted:

FWIW, I've had good experiences with most apartment communities I lived in (as that's pretty much the only option in a metro area like Phoenix.) It's real nice to have staff living on site, which greatly accelerates things like maintenance requests or complaints.
Those places live and die on reputation/reviews

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Sure. I got into a really great apartment community, but I had to put a month's rent up front as an extra deposit and show good rental references. At the end of my first year with them I got it back. Lived there another 3 years or so with no issues. I'm didn't really use any of the amenities, but the nicer complexes that keep up with things usually have them. I could have cared less about the pool or hot tub though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I don't really care about a pool or a hot tub either, but a 'fitness center' with stuff like treadmills and bikes I would definitely use.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
If you will use the amenities and the rent is reasonable apartment communities are great. Most will have things like large common areas you can reserve for large social gatherings etc which are very nice to have. Make sure to check up on the place though so you can be sure they really maintain their stuff. Also, as mentioned, staff on site is great. Things tend to get fixed much more reasonably, and the office can't hide from you. Also since they tend to live there, they have a personal interest in making sure issues like security or pubic space repairs are handled.

I wouldn't pay TO much extra for it though. Some apartments like to up charge like crazy for the "luxury" of it which is hilarious, because often the total cost will be negligible to the unit.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Beep Street posted:

Do those velcro/command strips actually work for hanging things on walls? I have a cool Jackalope I got for christmas last year which is still waiting to go on the wall. I don't have a drill and just driving a nail into the wall will not work.

Despite their claims to the contrary, they will wreck your paint. I've never NOT had one rip off a chunk of paint with it when I went to take it off. They work for about a year then fall down.

If it's permanent I'd invest in or borrow a drill. Drills are generally handy to have around anyway.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Beep Street posted:

I recommend buying an electric screwdriver (essentially a baby drill) on Amazon. They are less than 30 dollars and mine has been useful for not only hanging pictures but assembling furniture and other crafty projects. I believe it to be an essential part of my tool box.

http://www.amazon.com/2354-01-Lithi...ric+screwdriver

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Otherwise, you can find used drills on craigslist.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I've had good luck with those adhesive strips staying up, but yeah, they take the paint off with them.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've narrowed down my house-to-rent search to two places. Same neighborhood, same rent.

Place A is much larger, has a great view over the pond, has a deck, has more storage than I know what to do with, has two large guest bedrooms, one of which I could use as a room-sized closet etc. It has a smallish refrigerator, and a coil stovetop with uneven coils. The shower heads are at head level, the sinks have shallow basins with faucets only a few inches above them. The mirrors are small, and the bathrooms are cramped.

Place B is much smaller, and is one story. It's next to a dull part of the pond, where the litter collects. However, it has large toilets, a spacious bathrooms, shower heads well above head level, a glass-top stove, and a larger fridge. The kitchen sink arcs up and over, leaving a large, practical area to wash things.

Place A seems like it should be more awesome, but easily-correctable design flaws that were common until recently are ruining it for me. I know that I'd get bothered by having to be careful on the toilet not to poo poo on the rear of the seat, that I'd get frustrated washing hands in a cramped sink, that I'd have to contort to get my head/shoulders under the water in the shower etc.

I've mostly decided on Place B. Why did houses built before the 90s have such easily-correctable, impractical fixture designs? Along these lines, not clearly demonstrated by these two places, why is having spacious kitchens, bathrooms, and bedrooms, and open common areas only common on modern average-sized houses? I looked at a lot of houses today that I didn't like, and they often were large overall, but had cramped bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. The space was taken up by generic rooms.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 14, 2012

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got my new apartment yesterday, and it definitely has a few quirks from it's age. I'm guessing the building itself was built in the late 60's due to the style of the cabinets in my kitchen, which weren't updated when the rest of apartment was.

The entrance and bedroom light switches don't appear to be wired to anything. I'm guessing that the kitchen had a garbage disposal at one point, but flipping the switch several times revealed that the beeping noise was coming from my dishwasher. The odd thing is all the switch plates appear to be new :psyduck:

I got wired for Fios yesterday and we couldn't find the phone jack, turns out it was hidden behind the only coaxial plate in the place, which wasn't even hooked up. The tech told me after looking at the wires that there should be another hook up somewhere in there. :psyduck:

The weirdest part for me was the floor plan was flipped. It wasn't left right flipped like I would normally expect, the entrance was on the opposite wall. It's really not so bad as it gives me much more openness to the living area, but it does throw out all the plans I had come up with, and my accent wall is now not visible from the entrance.

I really can't complain though, I have a third floor south facing corner unit. The windows are from within the last 10 years, and I'm guessing are pretty efficient due to the fact that it's very toasty in there with no heat on, I get a great cross breeze when I open the windows in the middle of December. The stove has been used but is also less than a decade old, as is the refrigerator. The dishwasher smells brand new.

Really the biggest issue is storage, luckily there is a Container store nearby :3:

Dominoes posted:

I've mostly decided on Place B. Why did houses built before the 90s have such easily-correctable, impractical fixture designs? Along these lines, not clearly demonstrated by these two places, why is having spacious kitchens, bathrooms, and bedrooms, and open common areas only common on modern average-sized houses? I looked at a lot of houses today that I didn't like, and they often were large overall, but had cramped bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. The space was taken up by generic rooms.

I'm not an expert at this in any fashion, but I suspect that a combination of technology limitations and the style of the times. At this point it's the landlord's choice.

From what I've gathered prior to the existence of suburbs, you either lived in the city or the country, and stayed there. Post WWII brought about some interesting developments that created the modern housing we all know. This is the time that brought about the notorious housing projects. The concept behind the projects was to bring the poor in from remote areas to work in the cities where they thought there would be good jobs.

I won't go into too much detail about the Housing Projects as that really is better left for another thread with someone who knows more than I do. What happened instead was that the expansions of the US Highway system allowed industries to easily move outside of the cities. This also allowed people to move outside of the cities where the suburb was born. The suburb allowed people to follow the American Dream[post]TM[/post] and own their own home, there were also racist undertones because of the Housing Projects.

I suspect that's why you see a lot of houses from the 60's with odd layouts. Looking at the plans you'll notice that 40's and 50's houses were smaller because they were mostly near the cities in smaller or narrower lots (probably a leftover from shotgun houses), when the 60's hits, the houses skew larger, but they have living rooms, family rooms, walled off dining rooms, etc., it's as if architects at the time didn't really know what to do with so much space for living. It really wasn't until the 70's that housing starts to open up the way we know it today.

One thing I will say that I do like about older houses is they weren't designed with modern technology in mind, so they have large windows placed for daytime lighting, airflow during summer, and free heating during winter. This seemed to fall out of vogue during the 90's because air-conditioning is expected and windows weren't energy efficient yet, so windows got really small and almost non-existent.

Anyway, I could be talking out my rear end since I'm not an expert on any of this.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I suspect that's why you see a lot of houses from the 60's with odd layouts. Looking at the plans you'll notice that 40's and 50's houses were smaller because they were mostly near the cities in smaller or narrower lots (probably a leftover from shotgun houses), when the 60's hits, the houses skew larger, but they have living rooms, family rooms, walled off dining rooms, etc., it's as if architects at the time didn't really know what to do with so much space for living. It really wasn't until the 70's that housing
I saw several Ranch Type Ramblers yesterday, like in your link. I looked at the bedrooms and bathrooms and immediately decided I didn't like them. Lots of space, impractical use of it. Some of the frustration I'm running into is that I'm looking for a bachelor pad, and these designs might be more practical for families.

I'm curious why at some point, architects decided it would be useful to leave open space between faucets and the bottom of sink basins for unrestricted hand washing, or that having shower heads above a tall person's height would be useful. Same goes for toilets where you don't have to worry if the turd's going to land on the back of the seat. Another nice trend in modern bathrooms: Large mirrors. Common-sense kitchen trend: There's no such thing as too much counterspace.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 15, 2012

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Place A seems so much better that it's weird you're going with B for the sake of a few minor things. Why not take A and then spend maybe $150 and half an hour on swapping out the shower fixture and faucets? Couldn't be easier. Stick the old stuff in the back of a closet and swap back when you move out.

As for the seat-making GBS threads, you're on your own, though. I don't want to know details but I suspect that's a goon thing rather than a size thing. I grew up in a 1920s house, my family (women included) ranges from 5'9" to 6'6", and it's never been an issue. I never knew it could be an issue.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 15, 2012

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anne Whateley posted:

Place A seems so much better that it's weird you're going with B for the sake of a few minor things. Why not take A and then spend maybe $150 and half an hour on swapping out the shower fixture and faucets? Couldn't be easier. Stick the old stuff in the back of a closet and swap back when you move out.

It seems weird to me, with how talked up Place A is, and how Place B sounds so lackluster. Judging by the writing patterns, Place A is awesome, especially if he's looking for a bachelor pad. Hell, he might be able to talk the landlord into working on some improvements.

Anne Whateley posted:

As for the seat-making GBS threads, you're on your own, though. I don't want to know details but I suspect that's a goon thing rather than a size thing. I grew up in a 1920s house, my family (women included) ranges from 5'9" to 6'6", and it's never been an issue. I never knew it could be an issue.

Yeah that one is especially weird. I don't understand how anyone could poo poo all over the back of a toilet. My last apartment and this one have "short" toilets, I've never had any issues.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I had a smaller toilet bowl last year. Never actually clipped the seat, but I prefer the modern style of larger toilets. I liked both places and would be happy in either. They're very close to work and have reasonable rent. A's 2000' sq, B's 1000'. I have a choice between having lots of space, quirky architecture and a nicer view, or having a generic modern place with clean walls/carpet that has a kitchen and bathrooms that won't stress me out.

I'm going to go through a busy, stressful training program and am being conservative with that in mind. Place A might work out well, or it could turn into a headache. I don't think I need more space than B has.

Ideally I'd like to wait and see what other listings open up, but if these two get rented in the meanwhile, I may be out of luck.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dominoes posted:

I had a smaller toilet bowl last year. Never actually clipped the seat, but I prefer the modern style of larger toilets. I liked both places and would be happy in either. They're very close to work and have reasonable rent. A's 2000' sq, B's 1000'. I have a choice between having lots of space, quirky architecture and a nicer view, or having a generic modern place with clean walls/carpet that has a kitchen and bathrooms that won't stress me out.

I'm going to go through a busy, stressful training program and am being conservative with that in mind. Place A might work out well, or it could turn into a headache. I don't think I need more space than B has.

Ideally I'd like to wait and see what other listings open up, but if these two get rented in the meanwhile, I may be out of luck.

OK, first I'll give you a word of advice to keep in mind for next time. When asking for help or advice from goons, hyperbole is never a good idea. We tend to take it at face value and think that you poo poo all over toilets on a regular basis.

Second, the decision is ultimately up to you. The way you wrote about Place A sounds like you really liked it, but as you keep writing it seems more issues come to light. I'd suggest talking to the landlord and see if you can get them to make a few improvements for you. It does sound like an older place so you may be SOL on a larger toilet due to space, and there's no point in replacing the stove and fridge until they break, but new fixtures and a paint job should be pretty easy.

Third and this is all my opinion at this point, but it is a bachelor pad you're looking for a deck and great view of the pond are pretty impressive features that I'd think would trump the drawbacks. Not to mention twice the space! You mentioned a walk in closet for one of the bedrooms, it could also be used as a work space for hobbies, a work out room, or you can hide all your animes in there.