Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh my lord Jake. You are in trouble now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The look shared between Roxy and Fefpeta is priceless.

Also. Boats run on water. Nepeta liked making romantic couples.

Get ready for ship puns.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jake's misapprehension of what Jane was talking about was perhaps the single most predictable thing to happen in the whole of Homestuck. It was still funny though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did you see the table? She flipped the bitch!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Uh-oh...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I knew what was coming as soon as Jake seemed to have some sort of flicker of understanding. :allears:

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
At least his conclusion wasn't completely self-centered. :downs:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Jane. Jane no. Jane your cake is going to be ruined. :ohdear:

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009
On the other hand, his conclusion is completely logical given the facts at hand. She said her problems stemmed from her fumbled romantic feelings, and way back she said she had no feelings for Jake. So that only leaves Dirk.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Thick as Jake is, Jane has no one to blame but herself for this. Jake flat-out asked her if she had feelings for him, and she said no. Repeatedly. And Jake's whole Thing is that he believes everything he's told because he can't see why his friends would ever lie to him. So his assuming that Jane in fact had feelings for Dirk is, in his mind, the only logical conclusion.

edit: ^^^^ yeah, basically

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Hussie is so good at reminding the reader of a characters flaws and strengths. Within that one chat I was reminded of how forthright and honest Jake is and then bitch slapped with his thickness.

The man is a savant of characterization!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

No, it's still Jakes fault for being so completely thick. He was thick not to see through Jane's denial of her feelings because it was obvious as hell and he's thick to jump to this conclusion. Dirks gay for fucks sake, what is stepping aside even going to do Jake?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
That was great. I haven't laughed out loud at an update in a while.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Nephthys posted:

No, it's still Jakes fault for being so completely thick. He was thick not to see through Jane's denial of her feelings because it was obvious as hell and he's thick to jump to this conclusion. Dirks gay for fucks sake, what is stepping aside even going to do Jake?

I'm not saying Jake's faultless here, but every part of his characterization up until this point predicts this to a T. Jane told him she had no feelings for him. He believes literally everything he's told. Even now, he still believes it. If Jane had been honest when confronted, she could have avoided this. Not saying that she didn't have good reason to not be honest (actually, she didn't, but you know, teenagers), but it is what it is.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Jake certainly is pretty obnoxious, but it's also partially a product of Jane and Dirk not really being much better.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Is it bad that all I can think of in the last panel is "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GROUND!"?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Pester posted:

Which other heart hero fractured themselves?

Nepeta's thing was more borrowing and making up other identities to roleplay as. So more masks than fractures. Not that she got any superpowers out if it, that we know of. But not many trolls got much farther on their journeys, did they.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If Jane learns to be completely honest, I think this whole situation could get a lot better. Like, completely honest. 100% honesty. If you lie to Jake, he will completely accept it as the truth, and eventually he will remember a lie you have forgotten, and frustration occurs. He is also completely accepting of everything, so there's no real reason to lie. It's a different method of interaction than everyone else uses with everyone else, so it takes getting used to.

It's true Jake's self-centeredness is a problem that will take fixing, and he's willing, but Jane is too frustrated by being bombarded with it and is going about it the wrong way as a result.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Jake's self-centeredness is not surprising at all really. He grew up in complete isolation from anyone else around in person, probably learned most of what he knew from social interactions from movies that have super-important main characters, and his only real friends were 3 other socially messed up people who probably constantly indulged in his self-centeredness because they all wanted to ride the Jake Train.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I think Roxy's the most socially well-adjusted of the bunch. Fitting, I suppose, given her mother's penchant for clinical therapy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nephthys posted:

It was indeed pretty clear she was into Jake, so Jake asked about it. She said she wasn't. Very explicitly. "Huh, that doesn't seem right," thinks naive Jake, "But I will trust my good friend's word!"

That's not a terrible idea, even if it happens wrong.

And Jake's 'open minded,' so he doesn't really consider things like sexual orientation to be an insurmountable obstacle in a romantic arena (see: his relationship with Dirk).

Nobody's really being a big rear end in a top hat here. Maybe they're both small assholes, though. They're just incompatible as gently caress and terrible at communication. Jake is open and straightforward and positive to a comical degree- he takes everything at face value, and thinks it's good. Jane is extremely considerate to the point where she can't say anything to make the person she's talking too uncomfortable. She kind of hints how she feels, but trusts the person she's talking to to pick up on her feelings, rather than bluntly stating them and being rude.

Comedy/tragedy ensues.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Jane,

If you are reading this, you can finally catapult a table one handed into the void.

I am so, so proud of you.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Well this update shoots a hole through the whole "Jake's just pretending to be so loving thick" theory.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Ariong posted:

If Jane learns to be completely honest, I think this whole situation could get a lot better. Like, completely honest. 100% honesty. If you lie to Jake, he will completely accept it as the truth, and eventually he will remember a lie you have forgotten, and frustration occurs. He is also completely accepting of everything, so there's no real reason to lie. It's a different method of interaction than everyone else uses with everyone else, so it takes getting used to.

It's true Jake's self-centeredness is a problem that will take fixing, and he's willing, but Jane is too frustrated by being bombarded with it and is going about it the wrong way as a result.

the only problem with this is the whole "teenagers are irrational and hormonal" that we discussed when Jane started this problem in the first place. I think Jane is mad at Jake for being the densest thing in the universe, and mad at herself for letting it happen. hence table flip

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Plom Bar posted:

I think Roxy's the most socially well-adjusted of the bunch. Fitting, I suppose, given her mother's penchant for clinical therapy.

That and the fact that she had other people to spend time with. Carapaces, technically, but that's far, far more people than the other three had.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Jake doesn't have an insincere bone in his body, and it's both his most admirable quality and his most damning flaw.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

I'm not saying Jake's faultless here, but every part of his characterization up until this point predicts this to a T. Jane told him she had no feelings for him. He believes literally everything he's told. Even now, he still believes it. If Jane had been honest when confronted, she could have avoided this. Not saying that she didn't have good reason to not be honest (actually, she didn't, but you know, teenagers), but it is what it is.
Unless you're Erisol, then everything you say is part of a hilarious joke.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I feel bad for everyone. This is just the result of teenagers. No one is really to blame.

Bongo Bill posted:

I agree that he's mainly a manifestation of Dirk's qualities, but if Jake himself has anything to do with it, it's represented by his status as a Page rather than as a Hope hero.

This is my working theory. Page as in "piece of paper" as used in art. As in creativity or creation. (All four of the Pages featured in the story have been big on imagining/pretending, an act of creativity.) Jake, as the Page of Hope, creates things by believing in them. What have people been saying over and over in the narrative? Believing in things makes them less fake. Jake's power is to make fake things real. So his projection of Dirk, made up from only his own memories, which he believes is Dirk actually talking to him, suddenly keeps existing after he leaves, in sort of a half-state. And later, becomes a sort of "landing platform" for Dirk's dreamself to snap onto when it enters the dream bubbles.

(I haven't figured out, though, what a Page of Breath would have done. The one time we saw Tavros use his powers was in a breath of life type situation, and I can't quite square that)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 3, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I sympathize with the lot of 'em but especially with Jane's desire to be really angry yet finding it really hard to be angry with someone who keeps being extremely polite, friendly and positive through the whole ordeal.

Seriously, it sucks when someone's carelessness or insensitivity or cluelessness drives you up the wall but the moment you're angry at them for it they're legitimately confused and surprised. Like you can't even enjoy venting.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean, being angry at Jake is like being angry at a 6 year old or a puppy. He's completely naive, clueless and trusting and gets in so much trouble because of those traits, but if you admonish him it just isn't going to get through.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

JT Jag posted:

I mean, being angry at Jake is like being angry at a 6 year old or a puppy. He's completely naive, clueless and trusting and gets in so much trouble because of those traits, but if you admonish him it just isn't going to get through.

It's not going to get us anywhere, but you can still be frustrated when the dog pisses on the rug for the nth time. D'oh, Jake. I guess Jane will have to bake herself another birthday cake now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Well this update shoots a hole through the whole "Jake's just pretending to be so loving thick" theory.

Denial isn't the same thing as pretending.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Madtrixr posted:

the only problem with this is the whole "teenagers are irrational and hormonal" that we discussed when Jane started this problem in the first place. I think Jane is mad at Jake for being the densest thing in the universe, and mad at herself for letting it happen. hence table flip

I fail to see how that is a problem. That's what I said in the second paragraph, though I didn't specify what Jane was frustrated about because I thought that was pretty clear.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Grrl Anachronism posted:

It's not going to get us anywhere, but you can still be frustrated when the dog pisses on the rug for the nth time. D'oh, Jake. I guess Jane will have to bake herself another birthday cake now.

Yeah but instead of scolding the dog for pissing on the rug, Jane just sits there and stares at it while Dirk still tries to cuddle with it mid-piss.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If anything, this shows off how not-stupid John is. Seems like a common thing for John to get misconstrued as this terminally goofball dork that careens blithely through the story, when actually he's pretty sharp and just surrounded by people that feel compelled to lead him around by the nose.

Now imagine Jake having that "8e cre8ive" conversation with Vriska about how to get the Tumor out of the planet.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Holy poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jake is so adorably dense. :allears:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Also here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Do you think Hussie keeps a journal of all the material he could reference, or does he read back through his comic to find new/old material?