Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Bill Bailey is loving gold, though. Love his older stand up stuff the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

keep punching joe posted:

I try to watch a most mainstream stand up but the majority of it just makes me cringe and not in a good way. Most of the time I'm left thinking what exactly are these people laughing it. I'd like to find some more off the radar British comics, but I haven't really explored whats available. Any recommendations for a comedian who isn't called Russell?

Stewart Lee's new show, Carpet Remnant World on the other hand has been released and it is as good as he has ever been... as long as you like Stewart Lee.
He's not British, but I'd recommend Hans Teeuwen's standup show he did a few years ago (think it's just called Live in London or something). It's completely different to the tripe that everybody gets away with, frequently utterly bizarre and although it's a little bit hit and miss, the hits are wonderful. He's also just a really interesting and talented man, which puts him above all the comedians called Russell and many others

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 2, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Scousers are intolerable.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm kind of curious to hear Russel Howard on the Richard Herring podcast when it comes out (he's recording it tomorrow I think). Never heard him have an actual conversation before, on his own show and MTW when I watched it he always seemed a bit forced.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jakabite posted:

gently caress Frankie Boyle, most of his jokes are about taking the piss out of mentally or physically disabled people and rape, and he always handles both in the least sensitive and funny manner possible.

Well what are spastics for if you can't tell jokes about them?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I saw Jimmy Carr live once. I won't do that again.

If you want comedians who tell jokes rather than bang on about how clever they are, you cannot go wrong with Time vine or Milton Jones. Eddie Izzard and Ross Noble are obvious picks, but they both do stream of consciousness extremely well. If you want something a little more political and thoughtful honorary Brit Rich Hall does that and also sings.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Jack Dee is a solid standup comedian - his sets are great.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Carpet Remnant World was fantastic. I thought Milder Comedian/41st/90s all had good and bad parts but even the deliberately slow bits of this were still solid.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It was great up until the bit where he started to read off negative things that people have written about him on the internet to the tune of improvised jazz. That was just perfect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr Phillby posted:

Eddie Izzard and Ross Noble are obvious picks

Has anyone listened to the 'Definite Article' era Izzard recently? If so, how does it hold up? I used to think it was amazing at the time, but his last few sets haven't done much for me and wasn't sure if it was a case of changing tastes or if he had just peaked. I was lucky enough to catch him on the Glorious tour when I was about 16 and it was excellent live.

(Also: the tape version of Definite Article was a different night to the VHS that was released, so if you love that set and want to hear a slight alternative to it, get the CD/tape!)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

The pHo posted:

Has anyone listened to the 'Definite Article' era Izzard recently? If so, how does it hold up? I used to think it was amazing at the time, but his last few sets haven't done much for me and wasn't sure if it was a case of changing tastes or if he had just peaked. I was lucky enough to catch him on the Glorious tour when I was about 16 and it was excellent live.

(Also: the tape version of Definite Article was a different night to the VHS that was released, so if you love that set and want to hear a slight alternative to it, get the CD/tape!)

Is that the "I've done a bit of Latin in my time" one? They play it on Radio 4 Extra sometimes.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Eddie Izzard is a bit like Star Wars, really good but when you've watched it so many times you sort of never want to see it again. He also went proper poo poo after (arguably during) that San Francisco one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UpF_PoIqE&t=166s

Mind you I still think Harry Hill Man Alive is one of the best stand up shows, despite 70% of the material relying on being alive and aware of various British pop culture events circa 1996. I remember showing it to an American friend the other year and the whole celebrity rhyming thing just confused them "wagon wheel - Seal? what?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
More Old Jews Telling Jokes has started a new series on BBC 4. I thought the first one was pretty great.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

goatface posted:

More Old Jews Telling Jokes has started a new series on BBC 4. I thought the first one was pretty great.

Love this show. Its the perfect thing to put on in bed and fall asleep smiling to.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

TinTower posted:

Dawkins' picture was on the staircase of 10 Downing Street, signifying that he lost the confidence vote and the resulting election, and MI6/Petrofex/the M-I complex got to invade Iran.

Watched the whole thing today and that's how I saw it as well. What a pleasant surprise it was to watch something as good as that, from channel 4 no less! Decent cast as well. You had to ignore some fundamental problems with how they actually had the company involved handling it as it made BP look like Mother Theresa Inc. but other than that it was a cracker.

I watched the first adaptation of the story back in ye olde days, that was drat good for its time as well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Awww at the ending of tonights Peepshow.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ross Noble is basically what Noel Fielding aspires to. He does the "random stream of consciousness" stuff, but he does it incredibly well, because he actually has a lot of wit and charm while he's doing it.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I got to my mum's and was greeted with her and my sister watching NMTB. Noel's got cat face paint on, and Paloma Faith's on :suicide:

I like Alex Horne, Tony Law and Josh Widdicome but it wasn't very good at all.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

This thread needs more Limmy Show love.

BACK TAE WHENCE AH CAME.

Akuma posted:

I have two questions.

1) What happened?
2) Are you from or currently reside in Liverpool?

I'm not from Liverpool, no.

He said something about Hillsborough anniversary plans or some poo poo - I don't know why I said that, I don't care. He's just as rubbish when I'm sober.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...gy-8167427.html

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

VogeGandire posted:

Ross Noble is basically what Noel Fielding aspires to. He does the "random stream of consciousness" stuff, but he does it incredibly well, because he actually has a lot of wit and charm while he's doing it.

Noble actually builds things from a collection of unrelated things, I never really get the impression that Fielding is coming up with anything, he's just trying to find a way to get there. Julian Barratt and Rich Fulcher actually seem to be better at that sort of thing than him, but also less dependent on it.

Saw Ross Noble yesterday at the Apollo, and he was incredible, as he was the last 4 or so times I've seen him. If anyone else saw him on this tour I would be interested if the "Batman's biscuit" bit was in every time or if that was a one-off, as that was funny to the point of being painful. Second half was dominated by him making fun of a spectacularly drunk Irish guy in the front row.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

BizarroAzrael posted:

Julian Barratt and Rich Fulcher actually seem to be better at that sort of thing than him, but also less dependent on it.

Yeah, if you watch Fielding's solo show it becomes painfully obvious that Julian Barratt was the talented half of that duo.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.
The new Peep Show episode was fairly disappointing, to be honest. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either; there was nothing particularly funny or even little moments that stuck. The first episode of the series was kinda ok in the sense that it wasn't a great episode but it was overall enjoyable but this was barely even that. Can't say at this point that my hopes are too high for rest of the series, but I'd be glad to be surprised.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I must admit, I didn't laugh very much at episode 2 either. I am a bit worried.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I think it was a bit too unbelievable that Mark didn't know Hamburg wasn't in Denmark, let alone Denmark not being in the Euro. Then again, "Crorigan" got a laugh out of me.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I got a laugh from Jez telling the life coach that he wanted to cut off her hair and eat it as a sexy fantasy moment

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

There weren't as many outright laughs in it, but I really enjoyed it all the same. Especially the weird role-reversal between Mark and Jez.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I started watching Peep show from the start again recently and I'm a bit surprised at how much I loathe Mark in it. In almost every episode he's just this pathetic, mean, manipulative liar with virtually no redeeming qualities. David Mitchell's acting is also not that good, much worse than Robert Webb's. I'm finding myself preferring the Jeremy bits far more

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Paperhouse posted:

I started watching Peep show from the start again recently and I'm a bit surprised at how much I loathe Mark in it. In almost every episode he's just this pathetic, mean, manipulative liar with virtually no redeeming qualities. David Mitchell's acting is also not that good, much worse than Robert Webb's. I'm finding myself preferring the Jeremy bits far more
Mark definitely started off worse than Jez, but over the first few series Mark sort of stabilizes while Jeremy becomes more and more cartoonishly selfish.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I thought Peep Show was hilarious last night and quite a bit funnier than last week's.

You're all crazy.

Limmy's Show is meant to be live tonight? I'm not sure what that's all about, but could/should be interesting.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Leyburn posted:

I thought Peep Show was hilarious last night and quite a bit funnier than last week's.

You're all crazy.

Limmy's Show is meant to be live tonight? I'm not sure what that's all about, but could/should be interesting.

I kind of assumed he's taking the piss and there's just going to be canned laughter on one of the sketches or something, but it should be fun anyway.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Sarah Millican's got another series of her programme and Chris Ramsey's doing Russell Howard's Good News but about stuff that's on Twitter.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/12/03/16693/third_series_for_sarah_millican

Why does all the comedy the BBC's commissioning at the moment look like poo poo? :mad:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

onoflalks posted:

Sarah Millican's got another series of her programme and Chris Ramsey's doing Russell Howard's Good News but about stuff that's on Twitter.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/12/03/16693/third_series_for_sarah_millican

Why does all the comedy the BBC's commissioning at the moment look like poo poo? :mad:

Because there are people that actually watch stuff with Sarah Millican and Miranda Hart and Russell Howard.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

VogeGandire posted:

Because there are people that actually watch stuff with Sarah Millican and Miranda Hart and Russell Howard.

Who are these people, I want names!
Also thank you thread for recommending Limmy's Show. I've watched what's on Iplayer and it's great.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

We need Limmy's Show to be broadcast nationwide so they can see what they're missing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Yeah, if you watch Fielding's solo show it becomes painfully obvious that Julian Barratt was the talented half of that duo.

It is like he got popular simply wanking around with somebody talented in a shits for giggles pub originated performance show!

Oh.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Limmy's Show is weird, in that it's kinda shite, but utter genius at the same time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The thing about Limmy's Show is that it's HUGELY hit and miss. When it's good, it's amazing, and when it's bad, it's utter dreck.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is like he got popular simply wanking around with somebody talented in a shits for giggles pub originated performance show!

Oh.

Vic and Bob started in a pub. But then, Fielding is just a poo poo Vic Reeves anyway.

I've been enjoying older comedy recently, like Laurel and Hardy and the Marx Brothers. What kind of comedy was good in Britain 80-90 years ago?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

VogeGandire posted:

The thing about Limmy's Show is that it's HUGELY hit and miss. When it's good, it's amazing, and when it's bad, it's utter dreck.

Sounds like all Scottish sketch shows since the dawn of time.

If he could only turn Falconhoof Adventure Time into a show, that poo poo would be golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dear god Him And Her writes top using Laura. She now completely has destroyed the comedy cringe balance and I'm already dreading her next appearince in the next episode.

Still props to the actress, she does a lovely job in playing a terrible person.

EDIT: Oh god that whole family apart from Becky and her Mum is terrible. :smith:.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 3, 2012