Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

cheesebot posted:

Did you try spraying a little ether in the carb before starting. If it starts up then you may just need the bystarter (automatic choke thingy). It's a common part that goes bad on these and is readily available. I would do a compression test myself before committing to a ring job - how much compression was on the mechanic's report? It may just need a valve adjustment.
Is ether the same as starter fluid? I'm pretty new to mechanic work and I've never owned anything with a carb. I'll try a squirt once I can get some from the parts store. Thanks a lot!

I'll check the mechanic's report and post tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Is ether the same as starter fluid? I'm pretty new to mechanic work and I've never owned anything with a carb. I'll try a squirt once I can get some from the parts store. Thanks a lot!

I'll check the mechanic's report and post tonight

Plug the spark plug hole with your finger while someone try to start it, if your can't keep the hole sealed because air is pushing your finger to escape then you have enough compression to have it running, but if you can keep it plugged without air leak for multiples crankshaft rotations then something is broken in the top engine, you could get away with piston rings and piston but it might be broken as in new cylinder and head.

Also if you have some compression, put start fluid in the carb and also in the compression chamber throught the spark plug hole, if you have ignition and compression it will fire right up.

Also check your spark and buy a new spark plug (NGK please)

Good luck

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

cheesebot posted:

Did you try spraying a little ether in the carb before starting. If it starts up then you may just need the bystarter (automatic choke thingy). It's a common part that goes bad on these and is readily available. I would do a compression test myself before committing to a ring job - how much compression was on the mechanic's report? It may just need a valve adjustment.

The mechanic's report put the compression at 30psi. I wasn't able to do the finger check today, but I was able to take off the side covers and the muffler. One step closer to the engine.

I also discovered a momma brown widow and about a million egg sacks.

Does this look like an aftermarket rear suspension?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sup vintage scooter bros. An interesting project hit our shop today. A 1956 Zündapp Bella R201. Needs a little work:

I'd heard of these but never really seen one. It's pretty pimp. 200cc, has an earles fork with a monoshock, and electric start. gently caress yeah. It'll look something like this when we're done, probably in a couple years, except in robin's egg blue:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
That is rad. If you get much going on it I'd love to see updates.

I looked at the pictures before the text and had no loving clue what I was seeing.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Is that second leg shield going to be sold or is the other one trashed?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are a few duplicate parts, I assume we're just going to use the better items and give the others back to the owner. I should have taken a picture of the rear sprocket/drum. It had been worn down at some point and someone tried to repair the teeth but never finished it. So each tooth has a big glob of metal welded on the end of it. They never cut the teeth down to the proper shape.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I had a chance to check out my scooter a little more. For reference - it's a 2001 Honda Elite 80. I bought it cheap and it supposedly didn't have enough compression to start.

I put in a new spark plug and charged the battery and it actually started! I thought I was on easy street, but it only started a couple of times and now I can't get it to catch at all. It turns but won't start. So far I've done the following things:

- Checked valve clearance, set at specs from the manual (.002/.051mm)
- New spark plug (and double checked gap)
- Freshly charged battery (not sure how good the battery is though)
- Cleaned carb, though it didn't look too bad at all
- Cleaned out air filter, it's a foam element - should I replace with OEM paper?
- Cleaned crankcase air filter element

I checked compression by putting my finger over the hole and cranking and it didn't push enough air out to move my finger. I have a compression tester but the adapters are too big for the spark plug hole. I held it over the hole as well as I could and got around 60psi.

I also tried starter fluid in the spark plug hole and the airbox, no joy.

Soooooo, I need to plan my course of action. Should I just order a set of rings and hope that they're the problem? New Piston and rings?

I assume the air filter isn't the problem but would I be better off with OEM? This one was soaked with oil, which I assume is to catch dust and stuff?

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Astonishing Wang posted:

Soooooo, I need to plan my course of action. Should I just order a set of rings and hope that they're the problem? New Piston and rings?

I assume the air filter isn't the problem but would I be better off with OEM? This one was soaked with oil, which I assume is to catch dust and stuff?

Compression, spark, fuel. Try and narrow down your problem. Is the spark good (blue and strong)? Did you dissemble the jets in the carb and clean them out good? Valves set at correct tdc?

Sounds most likely piston/rings, especially if it won't blow your finger off the spark plug hole, but i'm just taking a shot.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'd heard of these but never really seen one. It's pretty pimp. 200cc, has an earles fork with a monoshock, and electric start.
Learned a couple more things about it. The generator IS the starter motor. It's all one unit, with 4 brushes in it. It's loving huge. like bigger than a lot of modern motorcycle charging systems. And it's actually a 12v system, which is kinda crazy for 1956, and it's actually designed to use two 6v batteries wired in series:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Sweet. Now I know what "signalhorn" means in German.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

velocross posted:

Compression, spark, fuel. Try and narrow down your problem. Is the spark good (blue and strong)? Did you dissemble the jets in the carb and clean them out good? Valves set at correct tdc?

Sounds most likely piston/rings, especially if it won't blow your finger off the spark plug hole, but i'm just taking a shot.

I took the engine apart all the way down to removing the cylinder and piston. I was putting on the new piston and dropped one of the piston pin clips into the crank case :( So Now I have the whole engine (complete with rear wheel) in my bedroom waiting to take the crankcase apart to find the little fucker. At least now I can see what all is going on inside the crankcase, and I'll be able to clean out the oil filter screen. I'm going to be learning a lot more from this project than I planned :3:

Here's the cylinder head and the old piston, the rings felt pretty loose but I haven't measured them yet. It sure is crapped up with carbon! The inside of the cylinder looks to be in very good shape.

What's the best way to remove the carbon build up?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've always had good results with a wire wheel

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I use sandpaper

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Be careful however you do it, you don't want to mess up the surface of the piston or gouge it or anything. Be gentle. Use a soft metal wire wheel if you're doing it that way.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
I came across this a while back Wang, should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-4GbGZCrc

Do you have the repair manual for your scooter? Also, doesn't really help right now but stuff the crank with paper towels or rags when you're doing the circlips.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I did have a paper towel crammed in around the connecting rod, but I neglected the slot that the chain rides in :( Any tips on the circlips? Those things are rough.

I do have the manual, it's great. Thanks for the video!

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm registered for the regional championship in Street AC category with the Booster Rocket and in 70 Racing category with my swapped Rocket.

Street AC category is anything aircooled with engines between 51cc and 100cc, also I'm exempted from all the safety equipment except a dead man kill switch.

70 Racing is LC engines, 70cc max with dual parts head.

Anyway for the event I just started to build a new engine for the AC Rocket, it's the first time I spend any money for an event but last year with a mediocre setup I finished 2nd in the track event and 5th in the 400m drag races so I'm pretty confident I should win something with a serious engine. Just finished assembling the engine, it runs but I don't have a good exhaust so it's not on the frame yet.

Engine Specs :

MXS Racing 70cc Cylinder
TNT One Racing crankshaft with C4 SKS Teflon bearings
Stock ignition (not enough funds but it only holds me back for drag)
Del'orto 21 PHBG carb
Yasuni Carrera 16 exhaust
Stage 6 Big Valve intake kit
Stage 6 Vitton reed box
Malossi MHR Overrange variator
Malossi Delta Clutch
Malossi MHR Overrange Torque converter
Malossi MHR Overrange Kevlar Belt
13" Aprilia SR Rear rim with Michelin Pure Power 2CT for track event
13" Nitro/Aerox rear rim with Stage6 slick for drag

Current Carb Setup :
Main Jet : 87
Needle : 4th slot

Variator Setup:
5,5gr rollers
Malossi Red torque spring`
Malossi Black clutch spring
Clutch weights at medium setting

I'm still missing the exhaust and machined adapter for rear wheels, this cylinder is rated at 19hp by manufacturer and I'm using the recommended setup, I event ditched my Malossi MHR exhaust because manufacturer is saying the C16 is the best, anyway will post some photos and videos once everything is ready to race.

Anyway due to building this engine from scratch pretty much all my old parts are for sale, if you want any minarelli vertical or horizontal parts, chances are that I have them, including a bunch of racing parts like the Malossi MHR exhaust (which is pretty much the best pipe for high end 50cc to mid race 70cc)

Edit: my swapped rocket engine is staying the same as last year

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 23, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

What sort of idle jet are you running? Needle? I have the same carburetor and am bogging from a start if I've been sitting a while, yet I have a lean spot immediately afterward from about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, even with the clip in its richest setting on the stock needle. Currently I have a #37 idle and a #92 main. Looks like I can lean them both out even further if your racing setup is. My reed block is an aluminum Doppler S2R with carbon reeds. I also have a Malossi block spacer, but my setup didn't seem to like it at all.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What sort of idle jet are you running? Needle? I have the same carburetor and am bogging from a start if I've been sitting a while, yet I have a lean spot immediately afterward from about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, even with the clip in its richest setting on the stock needle. Currently I have a #37 idle and a #92 main. Looks like I can lean them both out even further if your racing setup is. My reed block is an aluminum Doppler S2R with carbon reeds. I also have a Malossi block spacer, but my setup didn't seem to like it at all.

I don't know which idle jet I have have but I'm using W7 and W11 needles depending on weather, I'll document my setup once I can do a few setup runs, changing the exhaust will probably change all my carb settings.

About your problem, it's usually good practice to never use richest and leanest slots for needle height, you have to first set up the main jet by doing WOT runs and checking spark plug color, then you adjust the needle height by playing around between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. It takes some trials and errors to set it up right but if have difficulties to make power and surges with "backfire" noise then it's too lean. If at the contrary it's just bogging down it's usually too rich.

Hope this helps, my engine should be ready for tuning next week, I'll try to document as much as I can.
Also since some time I have some kind of personal project of a scooter tutorials website, with comprehensive step by step guides and videos tuts, let me know if anyone is interested about running this, I planned to do it in french only but it would be great to have an english version as well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Learned a couple more things about it.
And then I found out it has an inverse float needle. What's that, you say? I will walk you through it:

Average everyday carb.

But wait, the float cap has no fuel line connector, and the needle isn't pointy...

And what's going on in the other end?

And where is that needle going??? :stare:

And... :pwn:

:byodood: WHY

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Gee, wonder why that didn't catch on.

Here, have a few more Vento updates:

The original throttle cable was a craptastic split version which controlled the carburetor slide and oil pump. I found a replacement single cable that worked, but the other end didn't screw into my throttle housing and wiggled around. I found another one which screwed into the housing, but the other end was too big to fit in the throttle slide and it was too long anyway. I wound up cutting it down and made a new end from a clamped and ground-down electrical terminal. I ground it down further after this was taken so none of it pokes down past the top of the slide and into the path of the fuel/air mixture.

While bleeding my front brake, I discovered my reservoir was fulla sludge. Also, my brake fluid looked like coffee.

Doppler aluminum reed block and Malossi block spacer results in a gasket Dagwood. I later removed the spacer as I ran into lean issues because of it.

Old busted seat bucket next to new unbusted one. That is the only thing supporting my weight. In the process of replacing it, I cut my hand on the old one when it exploded into a bunch of pointy shards while unscrewing the seat hinge. Better then than while I was riding it, I suppose.

Here are the old front seat bucket supports, which were starting to crack and also resemble a screaming robot. The Engrishtastic warning label says:

quote:

In order to perform your new motorcycle perfectly, please supply 2.5% special two stroke engine oil to the fuel before starting your new vehicle (100km). Don't race your engine long if you don't want to run.

Brand new seat and the old one which was broken in a few zillion places. I used to have to give it CPR to get it to close, and even then that only worked sometimes.

I actually prefer the old seat material on the right, but the new one is narrower and allows me to sit farther forward, meaning I can actually carry a passenger.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Engine is on the bike, did some test with the Malossi MHR exhaust, it's a loving Rocket and we did some testing with my full Malossi T-Max and I loving destroy it, the T-Max will only catch up at 55mph.
Then I put the Yasuni C16 and it's running like poo poo, will have a lot of tuning to do, carb settings are so awful I can't even get it to rev properly to check spark plug color so will have to guess for jets, vario weights seems way too heavy too so will put like 4grs to get it going.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What kind of lifespan are you hoping to get from the engine? At 19hp it couldn't last long.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

open24hours posted:

What kind of lifespan are you hoping to get from the engine? At 19hp it couldn't last long.
Used to run 15-20hp engines like these daily for school and work. As long as you change the piston ring every 1500 miles and check for bearings / crankshaft wear it's pretty reliable, you know if a 2 stroke engine like this breaks it's because of bad tuning, bad lubrification or parts wearing out. It isnt as picky as some ktm dirt bikes requiring you completly tear open the engine every X hours. I got 15000miles on my previous aircooled race engine, had it for 2 years and did the piston rings 5 times and bearings/crankshaft only once and it still pulled like day one, liquid cooled engines are even more reliable. Anyway in short, if you don't skip on maintenance these engines are viable for occasional use and even for daily use (but you're gonna have some downtime for big maintenance) but I never missed a day of shool or work when I only had my scooter for transportation, I scheduled maintenance on week-ends and used it 5 days a week for 3 years straight

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ahh yeah fair enough. I guess I'd consider replacing the rings and bearings more of a rebuild than maintenance, but I suppose it doesn't take too long if you know what you're doing.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Sh4 posted:

Then I put the Yasuni C16 and it's running like poo poo, will have a lot of tuning to do, carb settings are so awful I can't even get it to rev properly to check spark plug color so will have to guess for jets, vario weights seems way too heavy too so will put like 4grs to get it going.
Is the Malossi blue torque spring a higher RPM rating than the red one?

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 28, 2012

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Is the Malossi blue torque spring a higher RPM rating than the red one?
I don't know but as far as I know blue and purple torque springs are for piaggio engine, red is supposedly the hardest for a minarelli.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I see. Odd that nobody seems to make one stiffer than 2,000 RPM for the Minarelli.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I see. Odd that nobody seems to make one stiffer than 2,000 RPM for the Minarelli.
Torque springs are not really rated by rpm but by stiffness because it's engine torque that's working the spring. At 2000 rpm a stock engine will barely manage to open the coverter while a torquier engine will have it wide open at this same rpm. Or maybe you're confused with clutch spring which are indeed rated by rpm, in that case purple are stiffer and black are the stiffest.

Btw it's loving raining since 2 days so I couldnt tune my carb properly but I got it to work almost as well as with my old exhaust, using 95 main jet and 6gr rollers for now but its still not working right, only makes power at redline, will try to mess with ignition timing

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Torque springs are sometimes rated by the number of RPMs beyond stock that the drive side supposedly will spin before they compress. One of mine says 2000RPM on it, anyway. Malossi just color codes theirs according to stiffness rather than RPM, since that makes way more sense as engine power is all over the place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On a lark, I just signed up to get started with these guys http://www.scootnetworks.com/

after riding around today and seeing a bunch of little red scooters lined up like a bikeshare station. That's basically what it is -- electric scooter rentals that work like bike rentals or zipcars, with a flexible sharing strategy where you sign one out with your iPhone then just park them at a station anywhere around the city when you're done. A little more complex than bike-sharing (you need to go through their orientation) but not as much as a zipcar (you don't need to actually have a motorcycle license). Apparently I'm now in their "beta" program, whatever that means in this context.

Seems like a smart idea and also a terrifying one. Granted the scooters only go up to about 30 miles an hour, but I've learned to give zipcars a very wide berth, so I can imagine it only gets worse when you get people with no 2-wheel experience whatsoever trying to share the road on an unfamiliar vehicle. But I figured hey, never ridden a scooter before, let's give it a shot.

What do you think of that company and their business plan? Think it'll take off, or make the roll but stall out and crash, or just explode inside the hangar?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 3, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just checked their website - this is in San Francisco? I've never been there myself, but I've always been under the impression that SF basically meant hills of death and traffic to match. I don't know what the balls a zipcar is supposed to be, but I'd officially be worried about the swarm of knobs on these scooters.

e: Oh, so zipcars are like car2go. Okay. Eh. I've never had an issue with that sort of thing, myself.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

On a lark, I just signed up to get started with these guys http://www.scootnetworks.com/

after riding around today and seeing a bunch of little red scooters lined up like a bikeshare station. That's basically what it is -- electric scooter rentals that work like bike rentals or zipcars, with a flexible sharing strategy where you sign one out with your iPhone then just park them at a station anywhere around the city when you're done. A little more complex than bike-sharing (you need to go through their orientation) but not as much as a zipcar (you don't need to actually have a motorcycle license). Apparently I'm now in their "beta" program, whatever that means in this context.

Seems like a smart idea and also a terrifying one. Granted the scooters only go up to about 30 miles an hour, but I've learned to give zipcars a very wide berth, so I can imagine it only gets worse when you get people with no 2-wheel experience whatsoever trying to share the road on an unfamiliar vehicle. But I figured hey, never ridden a scooter before, let's give it a shot.

What do you think of that company and their business plan? Think it'll take off, or make the roll but stall out and crash, or just explode inside the hangar?

All I think is that it's you bastids taking my parking spots in soma!

It seems like a cool idea though, especially for people like me who might want to cruise around the city yet not deal with cabs and other BS. I think their success really depends on their ability to interface with/be a part of the biking community locally.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

I'm torn. It's an awesome idea (zipcar and its ilk work great for some people), but also terrifying. My experience seeing zipcars on the road is similar to yours, and I stay very clear of them. And here in Seattle in the summer I occasionally see people on rental scooters, and they look about as skilled and comfortable and safe as you'd expect.

At least subscribers to this would be better than rental riders, since they'd have to take this orientation you mentioned (and I doubt the shop that rents here does much) and they'd eventually acquire some decent riding experience.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just scheduled the orientation. This Friday, gonna ride down to the location on my motorbike, then switch over to the scooter which I apparently have for the rest of the night. May look a little dorky in all the leather and a full-face on a 1.2kW electric scooter but ATGATT man :clint:

e: VVV yeaaaaaaaaaah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQAMnD13AwI

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 3, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You'll only look like a dork if you don't ride around dragging knee everywhere.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

Just scheduled the orientation. This Friday, gonna ride down to the location on my motorbike, then switch over to the scooter which I apparently have for the rest of the night. May look a little dorky in all the leather and a full-face on a 1.2kW electric scooter but ATGATT man :clint:

e: VVV yeaaaaaaaaaah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQAMnD13AwI

Hey we do this in the US, too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvkWlrcpNxU

e: and this crazy bastard on a Honda Dio (50cc) racing with 'tards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvgtUbm1l2U

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 3, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I managed to disassemble the transmission, re-spring my clutch and put everything back together in less than half an hour. Soon I'll be able to do this stuff blindfolded. Going from 2000 RPM to 3000 RPM springs has definitely improved acceleration and overall feel of awesomeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Sagebrush posted:

What kind of scooters are those? They'll never, ever come to my city, so my only hope would be to just own such a scoot myself. I like the range numbers they quote, speeds, etc. Any brand or naming, or did they really obliterate any trace of where they come from?