Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

happyhippy posted:

Sounds like all Scottish sketch shows since the dawn of time.

The Scotch And Wry Hogmanay specials are 100% sure fire hits in this poster's opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

happyhippy posted:

Sounds like all Scottish sketch shows since the dawn of time.

If he could only turn Falconhoof Adventure Time into a show, that poo poo would be golden.
Apparently Limmy has considered branching out into doing a sitcom, with Dee Dee, Falconhoof or Jacqueline as possibly the main character

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A more accurate statement would be "Sounds like all Comedy Unit shows except Still Game since the dawn of time"

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Limmy's Show might be a bit hit and miss, as all sketch shows are, but I've found that nobody can agree on what the hits and the misses are. Also, even when I don't think a sketch is particularly funny, it's almost always interesting to watch and he's such an interesting and engaging person that it kind of tips it above other hit and miss sketch shows

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I seem to remember this being posted the last time this thread had this discussion about sketch shows so I may as well get it out of the way so we can move on to greener pastures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmYC7r4dViI

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
If Limmy made a Falconhoof show I'd spend a far too much money ringing it.

"Kill jester"

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

VogeGandire posted:

A more accurate statement would be "Sounds like all Comedy Unit shows except Still Game since the dawn of time"

They need to make more Still Game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Didn't Ford Kiernan and Greg Hemphill have a big falling out, which is why we've not had any more Still Game?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah they had a falling out over their production company or something like that.

I loved Still Game too :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's cool, they have like 40 years to patch things up before they are too old to play Jack and Victor.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Paperhouse posted:

Limmy's Show might be a bit hit and miss, as all sketch shows are, but I've found that nobody can agree on what the hits and the misses are. Also, even when I don't think a sketch is particularly funny, it's almost always interesting to watch and he's such an interesting and engaging person that it kind of tips it above other hit and miss sketch shows

I do have a bit of a problem with Limmy's Show being described as a hit & miss sketch program. For me there's too many people that count DeeDee & the close-to-convetional sketch characters as funny & the rest of it just sorta there - which is missing the point.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I'm enjoying this Limmy's Show LIVE!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How are people getting AdBlock to stop the 4OD ads?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure, it works on my PC but not my laptop. If adblock doesn't do it without some fiddling maybe noscript will do the trick.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
What's the thread consensus on Pointless? It seems like the best one of shows like that, and Alexander Armstrong isn't too insufferable on it; it manages to do the "semi-obscure facts" without being quite as annoying as QI. Is that about right?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Allan Assiduity posted:

What's the thread consensus on Pointless? It seems like the best one of shows like that, and Alexander Armstrong isn't too insufferable on it; it manages to do the "semi-obscure facts" without being quite as annoying as QI. Is that about right?

Pointless is great apart from rounds in which Armstrong has to repeat the word 'blank' a thousand times. F blank C blank I blank G S blank O blank.

e: Channel Four's The Fear started tonight, will continue for the following three nights and is really good TV.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 4, 2012

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Allan Assiduity posted:

I am embarrassingly fond of Pointless. Even the famous person edition of it is tolerable, mainly because they gave it the marvellous title of "Pointless Celebrities".

It's best watched with a family member, I find. There's nothing like repeatedly screaming "Central African Republic!" (always a low-scoring answer) at the TV to bring you and your dad closer together.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Irisi posted:

I am embarrassingly fond of Pointless. Even the famous person edition of it is tolerable, mainly because they gave it the marvellous title of "Pointless Celebrities".

It's best watched with a family member, I find. There's nothing like repeatedly screaming "Central African Republic!" (always a low-scoring answer) at the TV to bring you and your dad closer together.

I like how Central African Republic is never pointless anymore as there's always a pointless fan in the survey group.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Jonnty posted:

I like how Central African Republic is never pointless anymore as there's always a pointless fan in the survey group.

The day Tuvalu scores a point is the day I am officially hosed.

[pointless is good but padded way the gently caress out. all that retelling us the scores could easily be trimmed to fit in another round or two. word.]

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

PriorMarcus posted:

It used to work but they changed something to break it a while back. There is still another way of avoiding the adverts though. Channel 4 host all their 4od content on their youtube channel ('4od') in the same quality. Adblock still works to block youtube adverts, so just do your channel 4 viewing there.

edit: talking about the firefox extension here, don't know about any others

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 4, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
When'd Amazon buy out LoveFilm?

I guess it has come full circle for those people who abused the honour system with it and sold their DVDs to Amazon 2nd hand retailers!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Pointless is great apart from rounds in which Armstrong has to repeat the word 'blank' a thousand times. F blank C blank I blank G S blank O blank.

e: Channel Four's The Fear started tonight, will continue for the following three nights and is really good TV.

Is that loving SNOB?

I like Pointless, because I'm alright at it, I can get some pointless answers and Richard Osman is a pretty good right hand man

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Personally I prefer The Chase for my dinnertime quiz show fix.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

Depends who the chaser is, really. If it's Anne Hegerty or Paul Sinha, I can't be bothered with it. And Bradley Walsh is pretty annoying.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Adblock on Chrome seems to kill 4od adverts.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

onoflalks posted:

Depends who the chaser is, really. If it's Anne Hegerty or Paul Sinha, I can't be bothered with it. And Bradley Walsh is pretty annoying.

I think the one today is the first one in months that I've seen where the chaser wasn't either Anne or Mark Labbett. I'd have thought with four of them there'd be more variety, but that's pretty much my only qualm with it from what I've seen.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SeanBeansShako posted:

When'd Amazon buy out LoveFilm?

I guess it has come full circle for those people who abused the honour system with it and sold their DVDs to Amazon 2nd hand retailers!

2 years ago next month

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

VogeGandire posted:

On The Chase you hear the audience but you never see them. Also the final team always seems to have 2 or 3 members. I've never seen an episode where this wasn't the case

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Z-Magic posted:

On The Chase you hear the audience but you never see them. Also the final team always seems to have 2 or 3 members. I've never seen an episode where this wasn't the case

If everybody gets knocked out then the four get to nominate the smartest least poo poo person to do the final chase for £4000. I don't think a single person has ever done it though.

Laura really is loving awful in Him&Her, you honestly hope that Steve just tells her to gently caress off forever.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Z-Magic posted:

Yesterday's episode was 1 woman in the final round for £35k.

She got caught with 12 seconds left. She was on the verge of tears.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Has anybody ever won the Chase? It seems more elusive than a winner on Takeshi's Castle.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

onoflalks posted:

Has anybody ever won the Chase? It seems more elusive than a winner on Takeshi's Castle.

Maybe it's like The Running Man?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

VogeGandire posted:

Yesterday's episode was 1 woman in the final round for £35k.

She got caught with 12 seconds left. She was on the verge of tears.

drat. I normally watch it at work but yesterday ITV wasn't working. I swear The Chaser will sometimes get really easy questions during the final chase. An example being 'in which country is the Siberian Mammoth Museum' aka 'in which country is Siberia'.

Also on countdown a few days ago, on the maths round the total you had to get to was 106. Numbers you could use included 100 and 6. Has this happened before?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Z-Magic posted:

Also on countdown a few days ago, on the maths round the total you had to get to was 106. Numbers you could use included 100 and 6. Has this happened before?
Rounds that simple happen a lot.
Unfortunate side effect of it being random.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cerv posted:

2 years ago next month

I guess I didn't pay attention enough.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pointless was better when it was just straight forward questions, none of this fill in the blanks or picture round nonsense.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

onoflalks posted:

ITV normally have one show per week where the team win it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Z-Magic posted:

I like those, as it's fun to try and work out the answer without using the obvious route. I saw the 106 on my friends Facebook feed and think I managed to do it without using the 100 at all (typically he's deleted the status so I can't double check).

It took me a fair chunk longer than the 30 seconds they give them though.

Good excuse to post this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mCgiaAFCu8

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

What a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

If everybody gets knocked out then the four get to nominate the smartest least poo poo person to do the final chase for £4000. I don't think a single person has ever done it though.

Laura really is loving awful in Him&Her, you honestly hope that Steve just tells her to gently caress off forever.

I find myself almost supporting Laura and the dad because everyone else is so pathetic.