Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Go right up to a surface while holding C4 and you should see a slight change how you hold it. It's subtle but it indicates you'll fix the C4 to whatever you're looking at instead of throwing it into a group of barrels alerting every guard in the base and then you just say gently caress it and detonate it anyway and it starts a massive fire and you get to feel like a badass as you charge through the flames firing from the hip with your 1887. Not that that's a bad thing.

Loading a jeep up with C4 and storming an outpost is definitely possible though.

I've found the best things to attach C4 to are quads, because they get the most distance if you leap off at max speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattie
Mar 25, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

Any word on if there's going to be a Green Man Gaming deal on this? I'd like to pick it up, but $60 is a little steep for me right now, so if I could get it for $50 or even $55 I'd prefer it.

You just missed it, sorry. They had a preorder 30% off voucher that I used.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
Just finished the story. It moved pretty fast near the end. I gotta say my favourite character was probably Sam. Overall I liked the characters far more than the story, I don't see what the fuss about Vaas is, though.

Fun sandbox, hang gliders are cool and hunting is fun. Game starts easy and never gets hard.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

TheJoker138 posted:

Any word on if there's going to be a Green Man Gaming deal on this? I'd like to pick it up, but $60 is a little steep for me right now, so if I could get it for $50 or even $55 I'd prefer it.

It's $50 USD regular price on Steam if you're in North America. $60 gets you the digital deluxe edition.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pattie posted:

You just missed it, sorry. They had a preorder 30% off voucher that I used.

Well...poo poo.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Why can I not drop grenades/C4/mines from my parachute or hang glider? :(

E:

Mouser.. posted:

Instead of a rock, you should be able to press right dpad and scream "LIZA! LIZA, where are you?!"

Press d-pad down to taunt. "Over here." "Turn 'round." :ese:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Skyrim!

McMyke posted:

when I went to enter the third room I nearly shat my pants cause I thought this statue was alive. felt that scare through my whole body and they weren't even trying to scare me. http://xomf.com/lhrvb

Before I saw that statue, I jumped onto the rafters and broke through the world geometry.

thefncrow posted:

The opening video. Everything about that video seems calibrated to make you dislike the people in that video.

IRQ posted:

It's because they're a bunch of spoilt little rich kids that it looks like the game is trying to make you hate in that opening video.

Funny. I like the people in that video. You don't want a carefree island adventure? I'd love to be in that group sans pirates.

coffeetable posted:

The natives can't save themselves, they need an American kid to do it for them. I enjoyed the game, but the plot's pretty much White Man's Burden. And while - as I mentioned earlier - this could be passed off in context of the entire thing being a subtle send-up of gamer escapism, it'd be a lot more justifiable if the racist angle had been addressed even once.

You've been chewing on this bone for awhile. Jason doesn't really care about saving the island; he needs to save his family and friends. The islanders abuse his need to either a) sell him (Vaas) or b) take control of the island (everyone else). Jason wasn't born a hero; he's made a hero through coercion and manipulation. Also, ethnocentrism isn't racism.

Lasher posted:

Vaas was a great character. I'd also love an expansion where you play his rise to king of the pirates.

I haven't played through the game yet, but the story so far indicates that Vaas gets his marching orders from someone else.

am0kgonzo posted:

Don't you know, travelling and partying abroad while being white is the worst thing you can do. You are literally the face of capitalist oppression.

Daric posted:

Are you mad because they do "xtreme" sports? Because rock climbing, snowboarding, parasailing and skydiving are all fun as hell.

Voices of reason!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Capn Beeb posted:

Press d-pad down to taunt. "Over here." "Turn 'round." :ese:

' Danny boy'

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Please go get sold into slavery for that post Adraeus

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Stump Truck posted:

Where do you find the Testing Unit quest? Is it marked with the same icon as the Lost Expeditions?
You can redeem it for 40 UPlay points, which you can earn in the game by completing certain achievements. Check the Actions section in the UPlay launcher.

The Testing Unit mission isn't very good in my opinion, and it's probably worth redeeming the 30 point Cannon handgun first, but you'll get enough points to redeem everything eventually.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

DrNutt posted:

I've found the best things to attach C4 to are quads, because they get the most distance if you leap off at max speed.

I just checked and it turns out you can absolutely attach C4 to gliders :stare:

I'm not sure of the implications of this yet but I'm fairly certain it's going to be awesome.

e: confirmed it was awesome

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 4, 2012

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
It was night-time and I was skirting around the outsides of a pirate camp on the north of the island, trying to get a good vantage point to get an idea of how many scumbags I was up against. I found a rocky outcrop overlooking the camp and from there I was able to use the scope of my sniper rifle to count my targets.

8 of them, mostly huddled around a campfire in the centre of camp, smoking cigarettes and complaining. And packing AK47s.

If they spotted me I was gonna get torn to pieces. I quietly moved from cover to cover to approach the camp, and then I find the perfect spot to lob a grenade right into the middle of the group. I'm already feeling pretty goddamn smug. I reach to my belt for a grenade and....gently caress! I must have forgotten to buy some when I was at the weapons dealer in town!

Then as I'm huddled in a loving bush pondering how the hell I was going to do this without getting perforated, I notice the tiger. He must be less than 10 feet away from me but he's focused on the idiots making so much noise in the camp. I freeze and wonder if he'll be able to pick up my scent or something...but I watch him stealthily move into the shadows at the edge of one of the sheds. I decide to wait and watch. Maybe I'll be able to pick a few of them off in the confusion if the tiger is bold enough to actually attack them?

I hadn't noticed the other two tigers infiltrating the camp from the other side until they were already on top of the pirates. Some of them manage to actually bring their rifles to bear but it's too late. Every single one of them is mauled to death in moments.

I sit there watching all this peeking from my bush, wide eyed, mouth agape, almost laughing. Then I get the "Camp Liberated!" notification, along with shitloads of bonus XP for doing it without being detected. All for simply watching the jungle consume these careless men.

This is the best game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I just checked and it turns out you can absolutely attach C4 to gliders :stare:

I'm not sure of the implications of this yet but I'm fairly certain it's going to be awesome.

e: confirmed it was awesome

Love this post.

Also, I just did the first Lost Expedition mission, and it seems that ammo caches are not attachable objects. It rarely matters though, because a C4 charge placed next to one will do the trick! Or a well timed grenade, which along with the ammo cache I detonated, killed 6 soldiers including a heavy.

I only wish they were more common. It seemed like the caches were a dime a dozen in FC2 but they seem fairly rare in this game.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I will say that I really, really like dicking around in FC3.

I'll also say that this is the first game in a very long while that actually gives me a bit of a headache because of the way they handle all of the first-person interaction stuff.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, this is definitely going to become one of my go-to "dick around for a few hours" games.

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008
Thanks everyone for the deluxe edition input. I settled for my "never settle" version. Now to see if I get pre-order bonuses at least.

It seems like ubishop doesn't even give me the download link until it releases? Ugh. You get what you pay for I guess.

Edit: Thanks, Attention Horse for posting the downloader link some pages back.

t-nutz fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 4, 2012

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
It's a shame that about 1/3 of the weapons in coop is completely bugged and doesn't level up, because I really like this mode :(. Also your loadouts constantly disappear and you have to make them from scratch.

edit: This is cool, anyone knows where is this place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLpHQ4pj3to

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Attention Horse posted:

It's a shame that about 1/3 of the weapons in coop is completely bugged and doesn't level up, because I really like this mode :(. Also your loadouts constantly disappear and you have to make them from scratch.

edit: This is cool, anyone knows where is this place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLpHQ4pj3to
As he goes past the clock tower, I'm guessing he starts whatever the tallest mountain west of Amanaki is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I bought this for $40. Works fine once somebody linked me to the ubisoft downloader.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I may be missing it somewhere but what exactly do the difficulty settings change? I googled for a while but couldn't find anything helpful.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

coffeetable posted:

As he goes past the clock tower, I'm guessing he starts whatever the tallest mountain west of Amanaki is.

Yup, found it. The highest point of the game is here:

There are gliders everywhere and the view is amazing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Death Himself posted:

I may be missing it somewhere but what exactly do the difficulty settings change? I googled for a while but couldn't find anything helpful.

I hope the answer is "nothing", and there is a patch to fix it so that the game is hard.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

The Lone Badger posted:

I bought this for $40. Works fine once somebody linked me to the ubisoft downloader.

It's $35 on gmg if you use the december code.

vv: GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9 30% off. Someone said it's not available for the US, because it's certainly there for me.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 4, 2012

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Obvious question: what is the December code?

Edit: searching GMG for far cry returns zero hits?

Yeah your link works but I can't find a link to buy it either from where I am (Japan) or using my US VPN. That's a shame.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 4, 2012

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

Apparently Green Man Gaming is not currently allowed to sell Ubisoft games outside of Europe. So, unless you're in Europe, the answer is 0% chance.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm wondering if anybody has found a fix for stuttery and tinny dialogue? I'm using HDMI audio output on an HD5750 1GB.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Maybe it's because I am in the US, but GMG has NOT had Far Cry 3 for the past 2-3 weeks I've kept an eye out for it. I can access the page at

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/far-cry-3-deluxe-edition/

But there is no 'Buy', 'Download' or any other link.

So the question is, where can I get this game and be ready to play 'soon'? Steam tells me it unlocks in 17 hours, which is after noon tomorrow.

I want to buy and play by midnight tonight. :(

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
What's the general consensus on the multiplayer side? Does it feel tacked on? Are the maps closed off sections of the singleplayer world?

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Someone said it's not available for the US, because it's certainly there for me.

This page does not have a buy/download link for US. Just advertisement.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The Welper posted:

So the question is, where can I get this game and be ready to play 'soon'? Steam tells me it unlocks in 17 hours, which is after noon tomorrow.

I want to buy and play by midnight tonight. :(

Buy it on Steam, preload it, log out of Steam, use a European or Australian VPN, log in to Steam, do the Uplay setup, start the game for the first time. Exit the game, set Uplay to Offline Mode, set Steam to Offline Mode, then disconnect from the VPN.

You'll be able to play the game immediately, and then once Steam/Uplay unlock it tomorrow, you can go back online.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

I just discovered that F9 is a quicksave button. It has the same function as the "Save" option in the main menu (so it's kinda useless), but maybe this information will help someone who saves a lot.

e: I'm still bummed that the second island is kinda bad :smith:.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Now I want to see what Rock Paper Shotgun's Things I hate about Far Cry 3 will be. Because the complaints mentioned in this thread so far... well, they don't sound like dealbreakers at all to me. Fortunately.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Whats a good FOV to set the game too? I know this is kind of subjective, but I am not familiar with how it is laid out in the menu options.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Attention Horse posted:

I just discovered that F9 is a quicksave button. It has the same function as the "Save" option in the main menu (so it's kinda useless), but maybe this information will help someone who saves a lot.

F9? The same button that every game since the beginning of time has used as the Quickload button? Brilliant. Good job, devs.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

F9? The same button that every game since the beginning of time has used as the Quickload button? Brilliant. Good job, devs.

I could have sworn I hit F9 at one point and it reloaded me to a save 30 minutes previous, maybe it was a different Fkey close to it though, regardless I've just steered clear of all of them since I can't save half the time anyway.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Utnayan posted:

Whats a good FOV to set the game too? I know this is kind of subjective, but I am not familiar with how it is laid out in the menu options.

I use 85, but what looks best is entirely dependent on your setup and preferences.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Utnayan posted:

I used 90 and I never had any complaints!

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I used 90 and I never had any complaints!

I used 90.2 because the slider won't go to 90. :argh:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Attention Horse posted:

Could you or someone describe this? Is it just more of the same or is there some design decision that makes it more boring or something? More of the same I would be fine with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

am0kgonzo posted:

How so? At that point of the story it goes beyond having done what you had to to rescue your friends (not knowing that Riley is still alive) into revenge. I don't remember the game showing that that is somehow the right or good thing to do.

The game rewards you, and Jason, for actions like this and never shows that it's a bad thing to do except for the points that me and, um, sorry I forgot his name, went over which I didn't really think were effective or relevant.

There's no point where it takes sides on these matters; it's very amoral. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, like I said, but I don't buy that it's some particularly complacent brand of satire like people are saying.

• Locked thread