Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Be glad he doesn't do it with poo because I've seen dogs launch a turd a good 15-20 feet doing it.

Corbin would do this all the time and since I walked him next to a stream a lot, he'd sometimes launch poo right into the water. His usual routine was:
Find Spot
Poop
Kick poop with feet
Look at me like it was my fault his poop wasn't there anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I knew a red Boston named Talula, she was rad as hell.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

dogsupremacy posted:

I meant can anyone recommended a doggles supplier excuse me...

Is this specific enough for you?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Backing up a bit to Ira Glass's dog:

Wow. I will never make fun of stepmom's retarded flat-coat who's allergic to beef and chicken. Ever again. At least Abbie would only slobber you to death, and not bite.

(She's a lemon, but at least she's pretty.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Okay so I understand now why I was so confused about the puppy yesterday. She's a cross between an American Bulldog and "Dorset Old Tyme English Bulldog".

She's cute. A little crazy. No manners (parvo's been going round badly here so she has only been getting walks for like a week, and she's ~thirteen weeks old). Confident and bouncy.

Lola wasn't impressed to begin with but they played a little chase, and by the end of the walk were able to walk pretty much side by side without her shrieking at the pup.

She looks like a pit bull with no nose :3:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

So I'm thinking about freezing kongs for Bailey for him to work on during the day. I've seen suggestions for putting wet dog food into the kong and kibble and freezing it. Should this substitute for a meal? Can it be gross crap like little ceasar or something like that? If not, what should I fill the kong with?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I usually fill them with plain unsweetened yogurt or beef baby food because they don't last very long with kibble inside. This website has a lot of interesting ideas for stuffing kongs: http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/dog-health/how_to_stuff_a_kong_toy.htm

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 3, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Triangulum posted:

I usually put plain unsweetened yogurt or beef baby food in them because they don't last very long with kibble inside. This website has a lot of interesting ideas for stuffing kongs: http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/dog-health/how_to_stuff_a_kong_toy.htm

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it. I'm trying to make sure he's got stuff to do while I'm at work.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
No problem. I honestly haven't found them to last all that long, though my dog might just be a loving pig. With kibble and something sticky inside, Vecna goes through one in a couple minutes. With just sticky or liquid things frozen inside that goes up to about 15 minutes max.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So a fun side effect of George's training is that I'm having to actually go and purchase reflective gear and light-up toys and things like that, since often in the winter we're training after dark of course. Holy poo poo, I have been missing out on this stuff. I am actually putting off taking George out for training today because I want to test out our new LED leash and glow-in-the-dark ball.

Maybe I am just easily amused, but man this is fun.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

So I'm thinking about freezing kongs for Bailey for him to work on during the day. I've seen suggestions for putting wet dog food into the kong and kibble and freezing it. Should this substitute for a meal? Can it be gross crap like little ceasar or something like that? If not, what should I fill the kong with?
It's gross, but stuffing a kong with raw hamburger and freezing it lasts about an hour even with Pi, who is very, very efficient in emptying Kongs.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Bash Ironfist posted:

I didn't know there was a reason, I just thought it's because he's a boston and they're all retarded as hell.
Naru will kick her feet after pee and poo. Not always, but often. For her it's a clear marking behavior and she prefers to be the last one to mark a spot, too. She'll also lift one of her hind feet like a male dog, when peeing and is known to poop on tree stumps... She'll also squeeze a bit of poop after she's done her business, if she really wants to emphasize that she's been there :P

2tomorrow posted:

So a fun side effect of George's training is that I'm having to actually go and purchase reflective gear and light-up toys and things like that, since often in the winter we're training after dark of course. Holy poo poo, I have been missing out on this stuff. I am actually putting off taking George out for training today because I want to test out our new LED leash and glow-in-the-dark ball.
Glow-in-the-dark ball I don't have. Dog has a nose and can use it. Also people have headlamps. Nor do I actually have a leash. Our English style retriever leads have some reflective cord woven within them, but other than those our reflective gear are vests and harnesses, which also have tiny keychain led lights attached. My girls have also had Leuchties for a year now and I'm very happy with them. And the keychain lights are excellent as well as they cost next to nothing and are very visible. If your SAR dog works with a harness on, you could attach a different color keychain light on each side -> you'll be able to tell even from a distance which direction the dog is facing.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

Okay so I understand now why I was so confused about the puppy yesterday. She's a cross between an American Bulldog and "Dorset Old Tyme English Bulldog".

She's cute. A little crazy. No manners (parvo's been going round badly here so she has only been getting walks for like a week, and she's ~thirteen weeks old). Confident and bouncy.

Lola wasn't impressed to begin with but they played a little chase, and by the end of the walk were able to walk pretty much side by side without her shrieking at the pup.

She looks like a pit bull with no nose :3:

lmao it looks like a boxer

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^^^ IRL she looks more like a (retarded) Ambull than a boxer :shobon: Should be walking her in the morning, so I'll get some more pics. I'm not sure if she's from a proper byb or just an accidental mating soooo

Riiseli posted:

Glow-in-the-dark ball I don't have. Dog has a nose and can use it.

My dog must be broken. If she can't see the ball/hasn't seen where it lands, she just runs around in circles which may or may not be anywhere near where the ball actually is. :downs:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 3, 2012

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

Fraction posted:

My dog must be broken. If she can't see the ball/hasn't seen where it lands, she just runs around in circles which may or may not be anywhere near where the ball actually is. :downs:
It's a skill certainly, but one which can be developed. TyTy wouldn't really even try at first, now she actually likes it quite a bit and was able to transition from grass to snow as hiding place pretty seamlessly.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well I'm intrigued to see how this turns out. Trainers plan event to compete with Cesar Millan.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Riiseli posted:

Glow-in-the-dark ball I don't have. Dog has a nose and can use it. Also people have headlamps. Nor do I actually have a leash. Our English style retriever leads have some reflective cord woven within them, but other than those our reflective gear are vests and harnesses, which also have tiny keychain led lights attached. My girls have also had Leuchties for a year now and I'm very happy with them. And the keychain lights are excellent as well as they cost next to nothing and are very visible. If your SAR dog works with a harness on, you could attach a different color keychain light on each side -> you'll be able to tell even from a distance which direction the dog is facing.

I think you are missing the point. :colbert: I know George doesn't need a glow-in-the-dark ball to play after dark, but I need want one. And shopping for keychain lights and glowsticks that would attach to his vest was what got me started on this whole kick.

The leash thing is mostly because we do run a few miles a day and I wind up doing that mostly on 2-lane country highways during the winter--reflective gear isn't enough as even the super-reflective stuff only gives so much warning, so I wear lights on myself and on my dog so we can be seen a mile off. I want to make us as obvious as possible so some dumbass doesn't hit us. And also lighted leashes are fun. Mostly the latter, actually.

Though I do have to dispute the headlamp comment. Have you ever tried to look for a normal grayish ball in a rock fall in the dark using only a headlamp? It sucks, even when said ball is on a bright orange rope. Lighted toys make it much easier to find a dropped toy, particularly if you let your dog carry it back to the truck and you weren't paying attention to where he dropped it.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Today we learned my cat has had a secret pooping space in the basement for the past year. Apparently three litterboxes for one cat just isn't enough. :downs:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Skizzles posted:

Well I'm intrigued to see how this turns out. Trainers plan event to compete with Cesar Millan.

That's awesome! Thanks for posting. :)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

wtftastic posted:

But you see Piney is SPECIAL and DIFFICULT and don't you see how they've sacrificed so much for their sad, nervous, itchy, IBS dog?

And this, folks, is called the sunk cost fallacy. If you can say something like this about a human relationship, you need to euthanize them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

And this, folks, is called the sunk cost fallacy. If you can say something like this about a human relationship, you need to euthanize them.

In this case, the dog or the people?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

In this case, the dog or the people?

Yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ruarc posted:

I don't know if this fits here, but I feel like I will explode if I don't share it. It's been all over our local news for a couple weeks:

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/The-search-for-Lucy-Sparkles-181641051.html

Why does someone have a pet kangaroo? How does someone even acquire one in Oklahoma? Though admittedly, I hope she's found. :ohdear:

I knew a guy who had a kangaroo as a pet. They're very sweet and casual, at least his was.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Crossposting from the YOSPOS Catte Thread:

RIP Mr Cat, I'm sure some of you over here knew of him too.

Edit: Sniep's cat, not mine!

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Official Bizness posted:

Today we learned my cat has had a secret pooping space in the basement for the past year. Apparently three litterboxes for one cat just isn't enough. :downs:

I feel your pain. Two houses ago, as I was packing up the basement area prior to moving, I discovered a veritable smorgasbord of poop under the workbench, except in my case, it was three years worth, from two cats. :( To this day I have NO idea how the basement didn't smell disgusting......well, it did, but it wasn't a poop smell, just a musty, moldy odor that was there when we moved in, and still there when we left.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Sorry I haven't been able to update about my moms cat Sam, the sphynx with major issues. Right now my moms on her way driving halfway across the country to her dads funeral with her ten thousand dollar 3-legged cat, feeding tube and all. Yeah. Why can't people ever have better timing when they die?

But seriously, this really sucks :( Ill post more about the cat later. No more energy.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bailey got up on the table again (but managed not to scratch it up and chewed on the box for a roll of saran wrap. I don't even loving know. Tomorrow I am waking up early, he's getting his morning meal all through doing tricks, we're going for a longer walk than usual and he's getting a stuffed kong. At the point in time, I don't understand why he's going up there. He has all of his favorite chew toys available and there's no food.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Holy Jesus, I just saw this on another forum. Dwarfism in dogs can cause some really, really hosed-up poo poo.

:nms: http://oi48.tinypic.com/idxixf.jpg :nms:

Linking because goddamn.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Drum posted:

Holy Jesus, I just saw this on another forum. Dwarfism in dogs can cause some really, really hosed-up poo poo.

:nms: http://oi48.tinypic.com/idxixf.jpg :nms:

Linking because goddamn.

There's no way that's real.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

There's no way that's real.

Unfortunately, it is: http://progettoquasi.it/quasi.html

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Oh that is so sad also mean to name him Quasi :(

I would name him BUTTERFLY

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

GUYS. Lookit, as my husband pointed out, it's me (hopefully) in like 10 years. :stare:

http://www.doggonegoodtraining.com/about_trainer.php

I mean, she even has a husky that got her in to training! I already emailed her, but she can't take on help or an apprenticeship because her insurance won't cover it, but drat! We're totally going to take classes with her eventually. :3:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
The body on that dog is almost exactly like an english bulldog.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Lola and the puppy played a little today* :3: Jess tried to play by barking loudly and shoving her kong in Kia's side. Needless to say, this didn't work.

* It isn't very comfortable to have a JRT and a ~Ambull/Old Tyme bulldawg~ play bitey face whilst the puppy is on your lap.

I have puppy fever so loving bad right now :qq:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

play bitey face whilst the puppy is on your lap.

This is like the dogs' favorite thing to do in daycare. I cannot sit down when they're in the mood for a game of bitey face because they see my lap and go "OH MAN THIS IS THE BEST SPOT FOR THIS" and I've had my head accidentally slammed into the wall a couple times now because of it. :saddowns:

Also, I found a dead, decayed cat in my backyard this morning. :smith: Probably belonged to one of the various people in this neighborhood who stupidly let their cats outside. It's a quiet neighborhood, but still not remotely safe for cats. I nearly ran over two of them when they chased each other into the road suddenly from behind a car and there are coyotes in the park right next door. :sigh:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Anyone in New York looking to get into Schutzhund...?

quote:

ANDROMEDA - German Shepherd, female, 2 years. Andromeda is a German Shepherd who loves to have a job. While she is a sweet girl who loves her family, playing fetch and belly rubs, she also loves to work and needs something to keep her busy. This job could be many things, search and rescue, agility, obedience work or even just daily jogs - but Andromeda is not content to be a couch potato. Andromeda has a lot of ball drive and is very responsive to training, making her an excellent student. We suspect she has had some working dog training in the past and knows basic Shutzhund commands. She has recently been to some Schutzhund training and did very well. Anyone who is interested in adopting Andromeda should be familiar with working dogs and Schutzhund, and be willing to continue working with her training in some form. Andromeda gets along beautifully with other dogs and has been fine with the cats she has met.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

2tomorrow posted:

Though I do have to dispute the headlamp comment. Have you ever tried to look for a normal grayish ball in a rock fall in the dark using only a headlamp?
I have my dogs to do it. Headlamps do help them while we are playing though.

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
The boys decided that they wanted to sleep in the hammock now and kicked Ruby out of it. The boys usually sleep in their wheel or on their perch, while the girl reigns supreme in the hammock.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The latest bag of Solid Gold Indigo Moon I bought for the cats is mostly powder :( It's basically like the kibbles just fell apart or were crushed to bits.

I guess I should email the company about it, and in the meantime I've been dumping the kibble into a colander and shaking out all the dust so they get mostly whole kibbles in their bowls. It's frustrating, I'm throwing away a lot of the bag weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

The latest bag of Solid Gold Indigo Moon I bought for the cats is mostly powder :( It's basically like the kibbles just fell apart or were crushed to bits.

I guess I should email the company about it, and in the meantime I've been dumping the kibble into a colander and shaking out all the dust so they get mostly whole kibbles in their bowls. It's frustrating, I'm throwing away a lot of the bag weight.

Yeah I would definitely email them because that's pretty lovely.

• Locked thread