Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

jivjov posted:

And keep in mind that the second wave of expansions is coming in the not too distant future. Once A-Wings and TIE Interceptors are available, will you really need 8 TIEs/3 Y-Wings, whatever?

I am a massive nerd for scenarios and set piece battles, so yeah, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I just got done with a 2v2 "bring everything you have battle". I brought my entire Empire collection and weighed in around 290 points. This was dwarfed by my friend's fully equipped squadron of 8 X-wings though.

We played for nearly 4 hours before having to call it due to prior obligations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What are everyone's thoughts on maintaining enough minis for both Rebel and Imperial fleets? Once I graduate and leave the dorms in 2 weeks, I most likely will not be playing often against people who don't already have their own sets of ships (i.e. instead of loaning my TIEs to my roommate and playing against him, I'll be going to the local game store and fighting against people who bring their own stuff).

I highly prefer playing as Rebels over the Empire, so are there any real reasons to buy Slave 1/TIE Interceptors if I'm rarely if ever going to personally use them?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's no reason to buy anything you aren't going to use if you aren't taking it upon yourself to provide minis for a group of people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any word on how expansive FFG wants this game to become? If they don't branch out into EU ships, we've got maybe one more wave of ships left. The only things in the proper size scale we haven't seen yet are B-Wings, TIE Bombers, and Lambda Shuttles (as the "mid-size" of a hypothetical wave 3).

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Well FFG does LOVE their expansions, so hopefully they'll go into the EU. I'd love some clawcraft.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Z-95 Headhunters, R-41 Starchasers, Cygnus Alpha Xg-1 Star Wings (Aka The Assault Gunboat), Cloakshapes, T-Wings, TIE Avenger, TIE Defender, and a lot more fighters are possible if you're going for the EU

For mid sized ships there is the YT-2400 (Dash Rendar's ship), YT-2000 (Ace Azameen's ship), Skipray Blastboat as possible examples.

However we're far more likely to see prequel stuff before most of these. I'd love Assault Gunboats though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Don't forget uglies!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If we get prequel ships, which is more likely; introducing "Republic" and "Separatist" factions, or just lumping all the "Good Guys" with the Rebels and the "Bad Guys" with the Imperials?

I'd kinda like to run a mixed force of A-Wings, Naboo Starfighters, and V-19 Torrents

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I kinda figure that when they get around to doing Prequel ships they'll launch a whole new core set for them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Naboo Starfighter + Two Droid Fighters perhaps?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Spoiler for Wave 4:

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Pilot card generator: http://home.comcast.net/~jason.fuller/cardGenerator.html You can also use it for serious stuff...

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I was about to pull the trigger on this, picking up one of everything. I figured I would sleep on it and then decide. I come back and everything from Amazon has gone back to near full price. My fault for waiting I suppose, but if y'all see anymore good deals post them here, I dont really want to buy at full price.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just got done with a quite hectic battle against my roommate. Despite blundering straight into asteroids 2 turns in a row, Dutch proved to be the instrument of my success. Popped his 2 TIEs early on, had 3 ships with target locks on Vader that wiped him out, and he conceded the fight after I took down Marek's shields and Ion blasted him.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
The store got their Kessel Run kit in today, so I took pictures of the instructions, if anyone cares. Spoilers some of the imperial card names, I guess.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Fuuuuuuuck Soontir Fel and Arvel Crynyd. Goddammit, FFG, take my money.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Swagger Dagger posted:

There's no reason to buy anything you aren't going to use if you aren't taking it upon yourself to provide minis for a group of people.

Suppose you are a huge nerd who loves having little space ships you will NEVER GET TO USE?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Winson_Paine posted:

Suppose you are a huge nerd who loves having little space ships you will NEVER GET TO USE?

Nobody plays around here so this is me :(

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
Some of the models I found myself wanting for scenarios aren't available... so I looked for alternatives.

Micromachines!

You can get bases and flying stands from a few places. I went with litko and have an order of these on the way:

http://www.litko.net/products/Space-Fighter%2C-Flight-Bases%2C-%231%252d10-%2810%29.html#.UMGobXc5cRM
http://www.litko.net/products/2-inch-Flight-Pegs-%2810-pack%29.html#.UMGoz3c5cRM
http://www.litko.net/products/Flight-Peg-Toppers%2C-20-ct.html#.UMGoY3c5cRM

Once they get here, I'll be able to field lots of additional (micromachine) ships:
2x TIE Bombers
2x B-Wings
2x Snow Speeders
2x AT-AT Walkers

Just need to balance the pilot cards for them, any suggestions? I think the stats are ok, but the points values are just a guess.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Today I got to HOLD a Millennium Falcon box. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one. So far there are only 5 people signed up for my local Kessel Run, so my chances of having one by this weekend are decent.

Pilgrimski:

Your Defender models look like they're going to be pretty sweet.

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 9, 2012

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I REALLY wanted to go to my FLGS's kessel run event this weekend, but god damned Christmas is encroaching and holiday festivities are dragging me away from being an anti-social nerd.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
We're holding a Kessel Run locally as well (on the 17th, a bit late, but had to due to schedule issues), and I only know for sure that myself and one other guy will be there. A couple others have RSVPd to our Facebook event, but but I've never seen them around the FLGS before so I don't know if they intend to play, or just use it as a chance to check the game out.
Either way, good odds at new ships!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Manifest posted:

I REALLY wanted to go to my FLGS's kessel run event this weekend, but god damned Christmas is encroaching and holiday festivities are dragging me away from being an anti-social nerd.

WHO ARE YOU?!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

There are only 2 stores in the state doing kessel runs, the one I go to, and the other store in the area which is a little further south. They were both going to be on Sunday. But now there are rumors that the other store is doing theirs Saturday and then a bunch of the players from there will be at ours Sunday too. The guys I play with are afraid they are all the min/maxers with broken lists will come. Ill beat them all anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is the Kessel Run event costing you guys anything? The store that's doing it here is charging $5 per player. I thought this was purely a promotional thing.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
We are charging $10 and anything over what the kit costs us is going back into prize support. The kit's cost $60 +shipping, and the chances of that bringing in enough customers to make enough sales over regular sales is very unlikely, and we are big ol' store. I image it's worse of a prospect for smaller retailers. FFG took out the "you can't charge!" clause after a day or so (I know I complained to them about it, and I assume other retailers did too).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My local store is charging $10. I was a little upset, because none of the posters or sign up sheets mentioned an entry fee, and I thought it was a FFG mandated thing.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

SERPUS posted:

Your Defender models look like they're going to be pretty sweet.

My reinforcements arrived:

B-Wings for the Rebels.

TIE Bombers for the Imperials (Which is why I didn't build any)

I think the B-Wings work pretty well, but the TIE Bombers are a bit small. Still, A-OK with me as gaming pieces.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I went through my old ship minis. The shuttles actually seem to look like they're the right scale.

Dear god I can't wait for a proper B-wing, though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Speaking as an Australian who can't have nice things like Kessel Run events I'm insanely jealous of all of you right now.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I went through my old ship minis. The shuttles actually seem to look like they're the right scale.

Dear god I can't wait for a proper B-wing, though.

The shuttles are huge, they hold like forty dudes and have a crew of five in the cockpit. The Star Wars Grog in me cries out at this, they are Falcon big:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I think its amusing how the Ebay prices of Star Wars Micro Machines have jumped nearly 50% in the last 2 months.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Winson_Paine posted:

The shuttles are huge, they hold like forty dudes and have a crew of five in the cockpit. The Star Wars Grog in me cries out at this, they are Falcon big:

I think I just have warped perceptions from the X-wing games where it doesn't look that much bigger from your cockpit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WerrWaaa posted:

We are charging $10 and anything over what the kit costs us is going back into prize support. The kit's cost $60 +shipping, and the chances of that bringing in enough customers to make enough sales over regular sales is very unlikely, and we are big ol' store. I image it's worse of a prospect for smaller retailers. FFG took out the "you can't charge!" clause after a day or so (I know I complained to them about it, and I assume other retailers did too).

Oh, OK. Yeah, I remember thinking it was supposed to be free or something but didn't know it actually cost the game store a substantial amount of money.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
$60 for the kit sounds about right, since there are 4 small and 2 medium ships in there, and since they aren't just putting them out on the shelf to sell, they gotta recoup that cost somehow I suppose.

$10 is gonna be a steal for me anyway since as of right now there are only 4 people signed up for the Kessel Run, so I'm gonna get a ship no matter how well/poorly I do.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

CorSec has some baller new movement templates and a range ruler to go with their firing arc template. I'll probably pick these up at some point, I also need to see how much one of their starfield mats will cost in 3'x3'.

http://corseceng.com/blog/2012/12/10/new-products-x-wing-compatible-templates.html

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
It's really easy to make a starfield map with a piece of fabric/tyvek and a white pen/airbrush/paintbrush, etc.
Some friends did it and it looks hot.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Devlan Mud posted:

CorSec has some baller new movement templates and a range ruler to go with their firing arc template. I'll probably pick these up at some point, I also need to see how much one of their starfield mats will cost in 3'x3'.

http://corseceng.com/blog/2012/12/10/new-products-x-wing-compatible-templates.html

I wanna take those templates out behind the middle school and get them pregnant.

I wish people around here played :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Manifest posted:

It's really easy to make a starfield map with a piece of fabric/tyvek and a white pen/airbrush/paintbrush, etc.
Some friends did it and it looks hot.

I'm aware of that. CorSec makes high definition Hubble picture mats, though.

• Locked thread