Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So I posted earlier about waffle iron recommendations because mine crapped out. Luckily my Dad was able to fix it. And I looked online and apparently it's some sort of collectable that's worth a couple hundred bucks depending on the condition! Some of my family was telling me I ought to just throw it away! No way. It makes the best waffles I've ever had.

Anyway, now that it works, I'm kind of obsessed with "restoring" it. How do I get the decades of burnt-on cooking spray/crisco off of the plates? The plates come off of the heating elements. So far I've found that soaking them in REALLY hot water and then scraping the junk off with my fingernail works but... I did that for like 2 hours and got bored. Plus I can't get my finger between the little square nubbins because they're way tiny. I also tried a toothbrush which worked kinda, but wasn't abrasive enough. Is there something I can soak the plates in that would get the junk off? They're totally brown. I tried hot water with dish soap (worked okay) and some stuff called Krid Kutter (did nothing). All along the edges is black, thick, almost paint-like burnt on grease.

It looks like this (but not as clean)

I want the waffle plates to look like this:

(I don't have the flat plates, just the waffle grids unfortunately)

So... what can I clean it with? Oven cleaner?

Oh and I know that I don't have to clean it and that it works just fine dirty. But I want it to look all shiny and chrome-y. It's become my little time wasting side project :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
in general I don't gently caress around too much with a whole prime rib roast, it's a thing that's really all about the beef. I do love making condiments for it though

necessary:
salt, pepper

optional things (pick and choose):
wood herbs finely chopped- rosemary, thyme
other herbs- marjoram, parsley, basil, oregano
aromatics- garlic, onion
spices: paprika, cumin, ground mustard

zany:
make a paste from fresh herbs, garlic and dijon mustard, smear on for a crust
make a paste of ginger garlic lemongrass fish sauce and the spiciest fresh chile you like and smear that on
sous vide the whole thing and then wrap in puff pastry and make a giant wellington

other tips:
-re mentioning thermometer
-make sure to rest it for 20+ minutes
-cook it to MR and leave the oven on for complainers who "dont like pink meat" to throw their slices back in
-whiskey

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

pile of brown posted:

-cook it to MR and leave the oven on for complainers who "dont like pink meat" to throw their slices back in

loving whiners. There's always people that look at your perfectly cooked, succulent, tender, expensive prime rib, and say 'Could you please loving ruin that for me? I only eat leather. No thanks I won't actually try it the right way first.'

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Tendales posted:

loving whiners. There's always people that look at your perfectly cooked, succulent, tender, expensive prime rib, and say 'Could you please loving ruin that for me? I only eat leather. No thanks I won't actually try it the right way first.'

I don't have any friends like that because I killed them all out of sheer luck. Everyone will appreciate dripping pink meat.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Comstar posted:

I have just discovered the magic of stir-fry. I'm trying all these vegetables I never liked before, and with enough oil or sauce, I have found it's both very easy to make, and I like eating the vegetables afterwards!

So far I have tried Carrot, Celery, Red capsicum), Yellow capsicum, White Onion. But I am wondering what other vegetables I can/should add to go with meat strips/chunks.

This is exactly how I taught myself to like vegetables. Bean sprouts, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots are awesome and delicious, but really you can chuck anything in. Stick some cabbage in there and any Chinese leaves you can find, and as previously mentioned bok choy is lovely. Mange tout is also good, asparagus and peas as well. Stir fry is so satisfying and yummy, and you can use whatever the hell you like to flavour it. I tend to go with ginger, garlic and chilli with a splash of soy sauce. Experiment and have fun with it!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tendales posted:

Buy a half pound of cheap roast beef lunchmeat and put it in the microwave for them. Then, eat their prime rib serving.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chronos13 posted:

I'm trying to figure out a few simple and healthy dishes I can make as I'm accustomed to eating in restaurants all the time and it's starting to hurt my wallet and my gut. Chicken and veggies might be a good start.
One of the best resources for learning to cook in general, as opposed to learning to cook one recipe at a time, is probably this cookbook. I know it says "vegetarian" but if you want to eat meat it's as simple as adding meat, because the book itself is more than just a big list of recipes. Give it a quick read then just go to the grocery store and buy whatever ingredients look good. If you get 'stuck' then you can just start googling recipes online or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How bad of an idea would it be to toss a frozen roast in to braise rather than waiting a day or more for it to thaw normally?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

silvergoose posted:

Broccoli is fantastic in stir fries, soaks up sauce like nobody's business.

I love stir fried broccoli. Green beans and asparagus are also great. Snow peas, I miss those. Garlic shoots, cabbage.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

razz posted:

So... what can I clean it with? Oven cleaner?

Oh and I know that I don't have to clean it and that it works just fine dirty. But I want it to look all shiny and chrome-y. It's become my little time wasting side project :)

Krud Kutter! I love the stuff. Just soak it in that for a while and then wipe it clean. You'll probably need a brush for the in-between parts of the grid, though.

I've really been impressed with how much greasy baked on crap that stuff strips away.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Ron Jeremy posted:

Cross rib roasts are cheap right now. Do I have to have it up to take out connective tissue or just low and slow?

Low and slow is the way. Leave the big fat tendon in. Braise it, make stew, but don't bother with BBQing it on the smoker. It's too small and lean of a cut for that.

On the other hand, cutting it up thin and tenderizing the heck out of it with baking soda is also good for stir fry. The tendon adds a fun amount of chew, at least for me.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

RazorBunny posted:

Krud Kutter! I love the stuff. Just soak it in that for a while and then wipe it clean. You'll probably need a brush for the in-between parts of the grid, though.

I've really been impressed with how much greasy baked on crap that stuff strips away.

I tried that! My parents had it at their house and I sprayed some on and let it soak for a good while. It didn't seem to do anything. Actually I had better results soaking the plates in hot water with Dawn. Seems like the only way to get it clean may be some combination of very hot water and me slowly picking at it.

I mean, this stuff is seriously baked on there. I think this thing was made in the 60's. So I'm dealing with ~50 years of baked on grease from a waffle iron that got a lot of use by my grandma raising 7 kids :)

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Bar Keeper's Friend, maybe?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

How bad of an idea would it be to toss a frozen roast in to braise rather than waiting a day or more for it to thaw normally?

Bad. It needs to get out of the danger zone within 4 hours or you're risking the poops or worse, and depending on the size that might not happen with a frozen roast.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Bad. It needs to get out of the danger zone within 4 hours or you're risking the poops or worse, and depending on the size that might not happen with a frozen roast.

to the fridge the roast goes, then.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mach420 posted:

Low and slow is the way. Leave the big fat tendon in. Braise it, make stew, but don't bother with BBQing it on the smoker. It's too small and lean of a cut for that.

On the other hand, cutting it up thin and tenderizing the heck out of it with baking soda is also good for stir fry. The tendon adds a fun amount of chew, at least for me.

I ended up cooking it whole like a prime rib. Crusted in with salt herb garlic paste. Started it high and then low for a couple hours flavor was great, ans I just ate around the tendon. And the jus! Man that was good. I'm gunna buy a couple more to stick in the freezer while it's still on sale.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Anyone on Boston's North Shore know where to get some goat milk? They sell it at Trader Joe's of course but they're almost always sold out when I think to stop by there. Should I just ask around at local farm stands? I know basically nothing about getting milk from actual farms. Maybe I'll just buy a few goats and collect my own at this point.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
I frequent okay restaurants every once in a while, and market price stuff turns up obviously. Would I be a dick if I asked what market price was? It seems quite uncomfortable to ask that question in front of the girl I'm with, but it seems reasonable. Are they expecting the question, or is it just gauche?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

OlyMike posted:

I frequent okay restaurants every once in a while, and market price stuff turns up obviously. Would I be a dick if I asked what market price was? It seems quite uncomfortable to ask that question in front of the girl I'm with, but it seems reasonable. Are they expecting the question, or is it just gauche?

It's certainly within your right to ask that question, but as a former restaurant worker, I'd feel really uncomfortable trying to answer or dodge that question. You'd be labeled as "that guy."

If you're going to a pretty good restaurant, you're not just paying for ingredients. You're paying for the chef's expertise and service. If you're that worried about price, go home and try to make it yourself...

I mean, it's pretty obvious that the price of ingredients are way below what you'd pay at a restaurant. Hell, I can complain that most of the stuff that's not on the value menus at fast food restaurants are kind of a ripoff, and I'm not even paying $10+ per plate at those places.

On that note, for semi-fancy "man food," I can do that pretty damned well, and I do just make it myself.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I ended up cooking it whole like a prime rib. Crusted in with salt herb garlic paste. Started it high and then low for a couple hours flavor was great, ans I just ate around the tendon. And the jus! Man that was good. I'm gunna buy a couple more to stick in the freezer while it's still on sale.

Cool, how'd you cook it? Medium rare, or fully cooked and let the tendons melt a bit?

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 4, 2012

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

OlyMike posted:

Are you referring to the menu or specials board saying:

Price: Market

It's not unreasonable to ask what a meal costs on a given day, but if you are looking to suss out their cost of the ingredients don't do it at the restaurant go to the market on your own time. Value of a meal is so-so-so-so much more than the groceries.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Chronos13 posted:

I'm trying to figure out a few simple and healthy dishes I can make as I'm accustomed to eating in restaurants all the time and it's starting to hurt my wallet and my gut. Chicken and veggies might be a good start.

The GWS Wiki has a lot of good recipes, a lot of them with pictures. I've handily linked to the Chicken category there for you. Some of them a bit beyond a beginner but plenty are simple. This Chicken Chow Mein looks pretty simple for example, hardest part might be just finding five spice.

With more specific questions, this is probably the thread for it for sure.

Comic fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 4, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

OlyMike posted:

That's not remotely a dick move. The only reason a place will put "market price" on a menu is because the price of the main ingredient (often lobster) fluctuates wildly so they have to adjust the price to keep it profitable but not overpriced. It's pretty much assumed that most people will ask. So long as you don't reply, "seriously?!?! twenty bucks for a little old lobster tail?" you are not being cheap or gauche.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chronos13 posted:

I will give you some easy recipes to start with that it would be hard to gently caress up.

Black Bean Soup

and cornbread

Soup

1 lb black dry black beans
2 medium yellow onions
chili peppers to your taste (I usually do 2 poblanos or Anaheims, plus a fistful of red Fresnos and serranos for heat)
6+ cloves garlic
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 qt. chicken or veggie stock1
1 tsp cumin (or to taste)
1 tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
juice of 1 or 2 limes
salt
pepper
hot sauce to taste

Cook and strain your beans2. While your beans are boiling, dice your onion and your peppers (de-seed your peppers and remove the white ribs, if you want to reduce the heat) and garlic. Heat up a bit of neutral oil (corn or canola or vegetable) in a decent sized pot over medium-high heat and sautee your chili peppers and onions for 5 minutes or so, or until the onions are translucent. Toss in a bit of kosher salt (get some kosher salt!) and then add your garlic, and cook for another minute or two.

At this point add your tomato paste. Stir it with your veggies to toast a bit, then add your can of whole tomatoes. Stir around for a minute, then add the beans and the stock. Stir to combine, and then add the spices (cumin, chili powder, Worcestershire, etc.). Reduce to low-ish and cook for ~45 minutes. After that time, remove from heat and puree the soup with an immersion blender (Costo has a Cuisinart that is good for cheap!) or by transferring half at a time to a blender. Now season with salt, pepper, and the lime juice (and hot sauce) until delicious. Serve with jack cheese and

Cornbread

1 cup flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp neutral oil (corn or canola or vegetable)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 325o F. Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Add wet ingredients and stir, but not too much! The big lumps should be gone but it shouldn't be totally smooth. Pour batter into greased 8-inch circular pan or square pan or loaf pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick or fork inserted into the middle comes out clean. I make a double batch for my 12-inch cast-iron pan. I also heat up my pan in the oven while it's pre-heating so it forms a nice crust when the batter is added, but that's an advanced move. I like to toss chunks of cornbread into the black bean soup, since it adds texture and smooths out the flavors.

1You can make your own stock, or buy from the store. Veggie stock is super easy to make – just boil some rough-chopped carrots, onions, and celery with a bay leaf and some rosemary for an hour or two, then strain (add dried shiitakes for extra awesome). Or you can use store bought. Get the low-sodium stuff in a carton, rather than a can.
2Bring the dried beans to boil in a lot of water, then reduce to a simmer and cook for an hour or more. The beans for this soup are ready when they're crumbly and almost creamy. Strain with a colander and reserve.

Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce

1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion
5 tbsp. unsalted butter
salt

Peel onion. Remove root, and chop in halt. Place tomatoes, onion, and butter into smallish saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat, the reduce to low (just barely bubbling). Stir occasionally, and smash the tomatoes with your spoon until they're breaking down (heat will help). After 45 minutes or so (until the sauce is reduced to a thickness you like) turn heat essentially all the way down. Add salt until unimaginably delicious, then serve on pasta.

40-clove garlic chicken

1 1/2 lb chicken (you can use breast, but I prefer thighs)
~40 cloves garlic
5-6 fresh sprigs thyme
salt
pepper

Slice your chicken into bit-sized pieces. Pre-heat oven to 350 o F. Brown in neutral oil over medium-high heat (seriously, get it at least a bit brown, not just grey) in oven-safe pan. When the chicken is nicely browned, add the peeled garlic cloves (whole), thyme sprigs, a healthy dash of salt and pepper, and a bit more oil. Bake for an hour to an hour and a half, until the top is toasty brown and the garlic is soft to a fork. Serve with or bread. Eat the garlic cloves as well as the chicken, they are amazing.

Those should get you started. Just keep reading here for more ideas. Some of my staples have come from reading GWSC.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mach420 posted:

If you're going to a pretty good restaurant, you're not just paying for ingredients. You're paying for the chef's expertise and service. If you're that worried about price, go home and try to make it yourself...

That's a pretty stupid argument that falls down under the most cursory examination. You could say it about literally any service.

It's not remotely a dick move to find out how much something costs before you buy it.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Scientastic posted:

That's a pretty stupid argument that falls down under the most cursory examination. You could say it about literally any service.

It's not remotely a dick move to find out how much something costs before you buy it.

Ok, maybe I came off like an rear end with the way I said that.

Asking the price makes sense for ingredients that are pricey and variable, like the lobster mentioned above. For most other things made with cheaper ingredients, you'd come off as either curious or cheap, depending on how you talk about it, ie. don't use what the waiter tells you to complain about the ticket price. If you plan a night out, have an idea of how much the place will cost, and if you want to ask about costs, do it properly and with some tact with respect to the restaurant or waitstaff.

You're at a good restaurant, not at a supermarket.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he was saying he wanted to ask how much it would cost him, not how much the ingredients cost the restaurant. If he's on a date, he's better off not asking, or just ordering something else. The server won't be offended if he asks, but his date might think it makes him look cheap.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

razz posted:

I tried that! My parents had it at their house and I sprayed some on and let it soak for a good while. It didn't seem to do anything. Actually I had better results soaking the plates in hot water with Dawn. Seems like the only way to get it clean may be some combination of very hot water and me slowly picking at it.

I mean, this stuff is seriously baked on there. I think this thing was made in the 60's. So I'm dealing with ~50 years of baked on grease from a waffle iron that got a lot of use by my grandma raising 7 kids :)

Media blast it with a mild abrasive. I did this to an old cast iron pan because the seasoning was flaking off and it worked well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

razz posted:

If it's from the 60's, I'd guess it didn't come with a nonstick coating. If not, just use a Dremel and grind it back to being pretty!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Ahaha some of you are being ridiculous. The guy isn't asking for how much it costs the restaurant to make a meal, he wants to know how much it is, since it isn't on the menu. It's expected that you're going to ask, else restaurants would never have prices on the menu. It's not cheap or gauche unless, as wrought mentioned, you react all dramatically in response. It's sensible to find out how much you're going to pay.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Yeah this is a situation where it is listed on the menu as like:

Spicy Fish Tacos ... [some price]
Lobster Bisque ... Market Price*

*(price of lobster varies with season)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I miss the days where at nice places only the man would get a menu with prices.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So Christmas is coming! Besides a knife sharpener, a vacuum sealer, and a hangable spice rack, what's some great kitchen hardware that a cooking scrub like me could benefit from owning. Not obvious stuff like nice knives and solid cutting boards and stainless steel pans, and not any more appliances, I'm already going to get chewed out for getting another appliance if I'm lucky and my parents come through with the vacuum sealer.

Also, does it make me an old man if the stuff I want for Christmas is basically just kitchen stuff?

edit: VVV Oh snap, that is an excellent point already, throwing that up on the wishlist.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 4, 2012

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Saint Darwin posted:

So Christmas is coming! Besides a knife sharpener, a vacuum sealer, and a hangable spice rack, what's some great kitchen hardware that a cooking scrub like me could benefit from owning. Not obvious stuff like nice knives and solid cutting boards and stainless steel pans, and not any more appliances, I'm already going to get chewed out for getting another appliance if I'm lucky and my parents come through with the vacuum sealer.

Also, does it make me an old man if the stuff I want for Christmas is basically just kitchen stuff?

Thermapen! Or some other lovely instant-read thermometer if you want crappy hardware.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I miss the days where at nice places only the man would get a menu with prices.

Etiquette is long gone, I fear.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Etiquette is long gone, I fear.

Good thing you're bringing it back

Next you guys will be missing the days when women belonged in the kitchen

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

Good thing you're bringing it back

Next you guys will be missing the days when women belonged in the kitchen

Quick! You take her shoes off, I'll take care of the rest! :pervert:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Anybody have a favorite food of the month club with small shipments? I bought my grandmother Harry and David's light size fruit of the month club last Christmas, and it was perfect for her, but I'd like to do something different this year. Ideally it would be a cookie or dessert club, or a fruit club with more exotic stuff. She's a tiny old lady who lives alone, and although she shares what she gets with her neighbors, the clubs that send out five pounds of food every month are just too much for her.

The only clubs I'm finding online love to brag about how their shipments will feed 8-10 people :rolleyes:

Edit - I just got a delivery from Fab.com. My mom ordered it a little while ago and emailed me about it, with the comment, "You should open it when it arrives, or it might mold."

It's a Grow Your Own Mushrooms kit.

Very funny, Mom!

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 4, 2012

Mr.Roboto
May 12, 2007
Yes yes, you're welcome damnit.
For thanksgiving I made a batch of these: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brigadeiro/

It's a simple recipe and turned out really well. I had the idea to dip them in chocolate and then ship some of them along with some other things to family members for christmas. My question is, is that safe? I've never really shipped food across the country, and these are made using sweetened condensed milk. Would they spoil?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Edit - I just got a delivery from Fab.com. My mom ordered it a little while ago and emailed me about it, with the comment, "You should open it when it arrives, or it might mold."

It's a Grow Your Own Mushrooms kit.

Very funny, Mom!

:haw: Hahahah your mom rocks.

Mr. Roboto - it will spoil pretty much as soon as you make it. The only solution is to send all those spoiled chocolate balls directly to my place where I have the appropriate facilities to dispose of them safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have a pound or two of flank steak in the freezer. I used some for carne asada tacos. What else can I do with it?