Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

I want this, so loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

I am in Chicago for the week and am getting fatter by the second. I think I am up to like 10 hotdogs and two Italian beefs so far with one day to go.

Thursday night the guy I am working for took us to [url=http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/grill.html]Frontera Grill[\url]. It was pretty amazing in every respect. We were seated at the chefs table which is a bar overlooking the kitchen. We split bunch of small plates and entrees and everything was pretty great. Then there were the drinks. So. Much. Tequila. We started out with a few margaritas and then moved on to glasses of tequila. The waiter would then bring us a round of small margaritas made from what ever variety we just had. There were also some other random drinks he brought including a very good michelaita which he must have overheard me trying to explain to the people I was there with.

I had to get up at 6am the next morning and while groggy didn't feel that bad. My coworkers didn't fare as well and I spend much of the next morning walking between their rooms bringing them water, food, beer and medicine.

I think tomorrow I will give the casserole-pizza an other chance, no idea where I should get it though.

go. to. next. (or aviary and order ramen)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

NosmoKing posted:

Yes, I am at my mother in laws place!

it wouldn't be murder. her soul is already dead.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnielab posted:

I am in Chicago for the week and am getting fatter by the second. I think I am up to like 10 hotdogs and two Italian beefs so far with one day to go.

Thursday night the guy I am working for took us to [url=http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/grill.html]Frontera Grill[\url]. It was pretty amazing in every respect. We were seated at the chefs table which is a bar overlooking the kitchen. We split bunch of small plates and entrees and everything was pretty great. Then there were the drinks. So. Much. Tequila. We started out with a few margaritas and then moved on to glasses of tequila. The waiter would then bring us a round of small margaritas made from what ever variety we just had. There were also some other random drinks he brought including a very good michelaita which he must have overheard me trying to explain to the people I was there with.

I had to get up at 6am the next morning and while groggy didn't feel that bad. My coworkers didn't fare as well and I spend much of the next morning walking between their rooms bringing them water, food, beer and medicine.

I think tomorrow I will give the casserole-pizza an other chance, no idea where I should get it though.
Go slingshot the manhattan egg.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

Present the food as evidence. No jury would convict.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

pile of brown posted:

I think my favorite part was that after we sliced the horribly abused tenderloin into medallions, it still had some color inside. One of the family members looked at it and said "it's still too pink for me!"

My mother-in-law promptly microwaved the offending slice until it was rubber.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

NosmoKing posted:

I think my favorite part was that after we sliced the horribly abused tenderloin into medallions, it still had some color inside. One of the family members looked at it and said "it's still too pink for me!"

My mother-in-law promptly microwaved the offending slice until it was rubber.
Have you ever told her that there are better ways to cook that beef?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

What, are you new around here?

Reading about Nosmo's inlaws' holiday meal disasters is a GWS tradition! Always makes me feel better about my family experiences. :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

What, are you new around here?

Reading about Nosmo's inlaws' holiday meal disasters is a GWS tradition! Always makes me feel better about my family experiences. :)
Yeah, it's not really schadenfreude, more like there but for the grace of God... Plus the countdown to the inevitable anger-gently caress is always jolly.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I personally think that Nosmo's mother in law has brought us some of the most epic posts of all time - I think we should carve her effigy in butter!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Go slingshot the manhattan egg.

Do i do this before or after I hack the gibson?

Also Aviary is on my list but I think it will be more fun if I wait until I have somone to go with me. I think I will be out here more often now anyway. I am thirsting for margaritas again so I might try to find another mexican place.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

I personally think that Nosmo's mother in law has brought us some of the most epic posts of all time - I think we should carve her effigy in butter!

And hate-gently caress it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

And hate-gently caress it.
An anatomically correct butter effigy then.

That made me think of Paula Deen. There's probably a market for that.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

If I had foreseen that possible usage, I would have suggested raw liver instead.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

@pauladeensvagina or some such already exists on twitter. Maybe without the S. I'm pretty sure the poptart cat guy is behind the account, but I'm not sure.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Kenning posted:

I feel like cooking in that kitchen would be like just cumming all the time.

It's just cooking for Gods sake. No matter how fancy the kitchen, it's hot and stressful and feels sort of nice when people appreciate it but you're still happy when you're done and can take a showerrr.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 2, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

It's just cooking for Gods sake. No matter how fancy the kitchen, it's hot and stressful and feels sort of nice when people appreciate it but you're still happy when you're done and can take a showe.

A showel?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A Dane correcting a Norwegian for cutting off words prematurely.

:ironicat:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Steakandchips posted:

Yes, this 79 year old dumb twat is going to listen to me this time.

Wife told me I can't bang away on her cooter just because I don't get along with her mom, so that's out too. :sigh:

Guess I need to hold onto my rage and angerbang the Mrs. A bit after I leave their house.

Maybe next weekend.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

It's just cooking for Gods sake. No matter how fancy the kitchen, it's hot and stressful and feels sort of nice when people appreciate it but you're still happy when you're done and can take a showerrr.

lol

this is so not true, for me at least.

cooking is really relaxing and fun and reminds me (after really stressful/long days in particular) what life is really all about. IE not pissy people e-mailing back and forth about inane office poo poo and little power struggles etc. It's a good chance to suprise hug your girl, drink a bunch of wine, and end up with some delicious stuff to shove in your mouths. it's a chance to focus only on what is in front of you, instead of whatever other poo poo might be going on in your life. it's a chance to appreciate your garden, an animal that died for you, or the awesomeness of fermentation or coagulation or nature or whatever. etc etc

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 2, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I just found of bottle of beer in my fridge while I was making room for my post-Thanksgiving turkey stock. I suspect that this is the Best Feeling.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Kenning posted:

I just found of bottle of beer in my fridge while I was making room for my post-Thanksgiving turkey stock. I suspect that this is the Best Feeling.
Suprise beer is nice. Suprise gin is Best Feeling (for me; your mileage may vary).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Leftover pizza > surprise beer, if you ask me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

dino. posted:

Suprise beer is nice. Suprise gin is Best Feeling (for me; your mileage may vary).

Going to your in-laws and they offer you a beer.
"Sure, I'll take one, thanks".
Beer tastes funny.
Look at "Born on" date and it reads 4 years ago.
:(

I sipped it for a while before I could throw it out without them noticing. They don't drink beer and I think it was the beer I brought them the last time I was there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dino. posted:

I found Surprise pear brandy in my liquor cabinet the other night when I was making room. This forum is full of good surprises.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I found SubG the last time I went rooting around the back of pr0k's mom.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not ashamed to admit that I asked for a nutmeg grinder this year. We go through a lot in my house, and I'm tired of getting out the microplane every time I want to nog it up.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I've asked for duck press... I will never get it!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I asked for a nutmeg grinder this year. We go through a lot in my house, and I'm tired of getting out the microplane every time I want to nog it up.
Won't you just be grabbing another different appliance/tool when you get that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clavietika posted:

Won't you just be grabbing another different appliance/tool when you get that?

Well, the difference is I grab the nutmeg grinder with the nutmegs inside, versus grabbing the jar of nutmegs from the cabinet, then the microplane from the drawer, and then rinsing off the microplane when I'm done so that the next thing we grate doesn't taste like nutmeg. It will save me upwards of a couple of minutes per year.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well, the difference is I grab the nutmeg grinder with the nutmegs inside, versus grabbing the jar of nutmegs from the cabinet, then the microplane from the drawer, and then rinsing off the microplane when I'm done so that the next thing we grate doesn't taste like nutmeg. It will save me upwards of a couple of minutes per year.

I miss the days where at nice places only the man would get a nutmeg grater and the minutes to use it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I miss the days where at nice places only the man would get a nutmeg grater and the minutes to use it.

Given the psychoactive qualities of nutmeg, I'm not sure that lady can be trusted with it, lest she succumb to her more base desires.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Given the psychoactive qualities of nutmeg, I'm not sure that lady can be trusted with it, lest she succumb to her more base desires.

This would only be a danger if the lady were of low breeding and previously given to over-usage of clove, pepper, and other stimulants.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This would only be a danger if the lady were of low breeding and previously given to over-usage of clove, pepper, and other stimulants.

Of course, one needn't take a woman of low breeding out for a meal. So sayeth Mungo Jerry.

edit: holy poo poo Mungo Jerry video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvUQcnfwUUM

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Williams Sonoma grater is significantly better than the one at Sur La Table.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Do microplanes ever lose their edge?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

The Williams Sonoma grater is significantly better than the one at Sur La Table.

Given that we got a box from Sur La Table in the mail yesterday, that's not good to hear.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Is tipping in the Midwest different than on the coasts?

Asking this as a stupid foreigner.

Do you tip hair dressers?

I tried to tip a guy who pumped the gas, but he didn't seem to expect it - are there some service people you tip and some you don't?

Do you tip busdrivers? What about lifeguards at a pool? Front desk at hotel? The maid?

Asking because I read something confusing...

I think I may be erratically rude when stateside..

Is over tipping considered rude there as well?

And no - this shouldn't be a discussion on the merits of tipping!

Oh finally - do you tip in Canada too?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I can help with hotels! If its a nice place, like 4 or 5 diamond, all staff is tippable, and it would not be an offense to do so. Especially concierge, who can generally get you into high end restaurants whereas you would not be able to on your own.

I personally tip my hairdresser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
People do not tip nearly as much in Canada, I find.