Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

poopinmymouth posted:

Ufff, close call. I got one of the very first X100s, from before the earthquake, so it is getting old, totally out of warranty, and I bought it from NZ but live in Iceland anyway. The viewfinder shutter just stopped working for no good reason. No drops, nothing crazy happened at all to explain it. When the EVF came on, I got a weird ghosting where anything bright would show through since the shutter didnīt come up. I am one week away from a trip to Italy, so no way I am going to try to get it repaired before then.

Then, I had it on the table to take photos of thanksgiving dinner, and my dog managed to pull it off the table with his tail tangled in the strap (he was on my lap). It was in the leather case, and took a tumble on the floor. Luckily the leather case seems to offer a ton of protection, but I picked it up immediately to make sure it still worked. Lo and behold, the shutter is unstuck now and all works perfectly. Thanks doggy! Not sure I would have had the guts to drop it myself.

I had the EVF shutter stick halfway up on me, it was super discombobulating to look through. Pointed the camera straight down and with the EVF engaged gave it a good smack with the palm of my hand on the top baseplate and the shutter slid up. Only happened once and has worked fine since April. I've since made an effort to only hold the X100 upright when engaging the EVF because it was pointed down when it happened.

I've read about one other EVF sticking and he fixed his the same way and some other guy claimed his sticky aperture went away when he accidentally dropped his X100 on carpet but I don't know about that. My X100 was manufactured one month post-tsunami on 4/28/11 and has only ever had that EVF shutter thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't use my X100 that much over the summer, but one day I picked it up to mess with it for a bit and switched it to the EVF and found that a bug some how crawled into it and blocked part of the EVF display. It was odd because the bug didn't block the OVF at all, but somehow got stuck in the actual part that popped up in the viewfinder. Luckily, the camera was still in warranty and was fixed for free, but still.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
I'm glad to hear that Fuji is still fixing bugs with the X100.

(Too obvious?)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I will have to personally disagree with the opinions about touchscreens - I kinda like them, actually. Touch-to-focus (and associated focus tracking) is pretty handy. However, the lack of physical controls that usually accompany a touchscreen can be annoying.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Radbot posted:

I will have to personally disagree with the opinions about touchscreens - I kinda like them, actually. Touch-to-focus (and associated focus tracking) is pretty handy. However, the lack of physical controls that usually accompany a touchscreen can be annoying.
The features available with touch screens are great, I don't like how easy it is to mess things up accidentally while carrying a camera around because of a stray finger or whatever. Personally, I think touch screen cameras are here to stay but it's a matter of how they apply them. They are great to supplement an existing control scheme but I do not think they will directly replace them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HPL posted:

The features available with touch screens are great, I don't like how easy it is to mess things up accidentally while carrying a camera around because of a stray finger or whatever. Personally, I think touch screen cameras are here to stay but it's a matter of how they apply them. They are great to supplement an existing control scheme but I do not think they will directly replace them.

I rather like the OM-D's implementation for the touchscreen, I've set it up so that I need to press a button that toggles the touchscreen on and off. This is mainly because I only use the touchscreen for the touch focus which is awesome and usually quite accurate, otherwise I leave it off all the time. And while the touchscreen is one of the more responsive ones I've used, it's still not fast or precise enough to replace manual controls.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Kai seems to like the NEX-6. He had to scrape hard to come up with criticisms.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Touchscreen only cameras are awful. Touchscreen in combination with real buttons can be great.

Nikon's first touchscreen camera (S70 I think) used the screen for everything except the power and shutter button, and it was infuriating to play with. Trying to zoom in or out with a second delay from when you poke the screen until things start happening? Yeah that's nice.

On the S220 or 230 they had some real buttons and the touchscreen was just for cool touchscreen stuff like touch-to-focus and it was pretty nice.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I used to think it was a gimmick but it has totally become part of my standard usage of my NEX 5N. Touch to focus is more accurate than any autofocus (great for portraits among many other things) and when using manual focus lenses zooming in to check focus is great. I think other than that, the only other use I get from it is selecting certain things from the menu. It is super clunky trying to use it for virtual dials and to review photos - I really wish that the touch screen features were listed individually and able to be turned off one by one.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

HPL posted:

Kai seems to like the NEX-6. He had to scrape hard to come up with criticisms.

I've got a 3-week old NEX 6 for sale right now in the sales thread, this will be my only shameless plug.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

I'm considering grabbing a Fuji X100 used that is in mint condition with around 10k photos taken on it from a trustworthy friend who owns too many cameras. Comes with the $100 brown leather case as well, all for $800.

I know everyone raves about this camera, so unless there is something else I should be looking at right now (the X-E1 caught my eye as well) I'm guessing this is likely the best bang for my buck? I've owned a few Nikon DSLRs back in the day and an assortment of prime lenses but hated the hassle of changing them, and honestly they were just an excuse to buy something new. I primarily enjoy shooting still life, portraits, landscapes, and just around the city shots (I live in San Francisco and walk everywhere).

Thoughts?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Overture posted:

I'm considering grabbing a Fuji X100 used that is in mint condition with around 10k photos taken on it from a trustworthy friend who owns too many cameras. Comes with the $100 brown leather case as well, all for $800.

I know everyone raves about this camera, so unless there is something else I should be looking at right now (the X-E1 caught my eye as well) I'm guessing this is likely the best bang for my buck? I've owned a few Nikon DSLRs back in the day and an assortment of prime lenses but hated the hassle of changing them, and honestly they were just an excuse to buy something new. I primarily enjoy shooting still life, portraits, landscapes, and just around the city shots (I live in San Francisco and walk everywhere).

Thoughts?

I am in the same boat--sans camera-heavy friend--as you are, so I'd also appreciate feedback. I'm looking to do a bit of traveling next year, and I'd like something a bit better than just snapping iPhone photos.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

As long as you realize what having a fixed 35mm equivalent camera really means to you, it wouldn't be a poor choice. Landscapes, portraits, etc. aren't impossible at this focal length but there's a reason you don't see much of it - it tests your ability to compose shots and also forces you to compose with your feet. 12.3MP is too small to really crop significantly and still print, unfortunately. Once this reality has set in, it's a fun camera in a small, light package with outstanding image quality. As for other downsides, the grey zoom owners waiting near a lighthouse for a harvest moon to rise look at you funny when you show up with it. Yes, I will smash this square peg into a round hole, dammit.

With 10k shots taken, at least you can be pretty sure that you won't fall victim to the sticky aperture blade issue a few earlier cameras had.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 1, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Overture posted:

Thoughts?

I took my X100 with me to Hawaii over the summer this year when I went on vacation with my family and I think it's really good travel camera because it's so drat small and light it got out of the way from being able to enjoy the vacation itself. Personally, I think the 35mm (equivalent) focal length does pretty well for you want to do with it, (still life, portraits etc), I find it to be the perfect one lens set up. If you can deal with being stuck with one focal length with the camera, I can't really recommend this camera enough.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Mest0r posted:

I took my X100 with me to Hawaii over the summer this year when I went on vacation with my family and I think it's really good travel camera because it's so drat small and light it got out of the way from being able to enjoy the vacation itself. Personally, I think the 35mm (equivalent) focal length does pretty well for you want to do with it, (still life, portraits etc), I find it to be the perfect one lens set up. If you can deal with being stuck with one focal length with the camera, I can't really recommend this camera enough.

I took mine to Japan last Fall and most of my best pics were made with the X100. I'm gonna miss it. :(

Why? Because I put a deposit on the RX1 today. Same focal length, a little smaller, a lot more expensive but the image quality makes me drool. I never should have played with it at the PDN Photo Plus Expo a few weeks back. :cry: :fh:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I took mine to Japan last Fall and most of my best pics were made with the X100. I'm gonna miss it. :(

Why? Because I put a deposit on the RX1 today. Same focal length, a little smaller, a lot more expensive but the image quality makes me drool. I never should have played with it at the PDN Photo Plus Expo a few weeks back. :cry: :fh:

RX1 is definitely interesting, but more expensive and no built in view finder makes it an easy pass for me.

e: For that kind of money I'd just go with the XPro1.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those of you that have had the OM-D system, how have you liked it? Some of the glass available makes it look really tempting, especially the 17mm lenses and that 75mm f/1.8

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

Those of you that have had the OM-D system, how have you liked it? Some of the glass available makes it look really tempting, especially the 17mm lenses and that 75mm f/1.8

Very very much. There isn't much reason not to like the OM-D, except unless you really need accurate continuous focus or very very clean high ISO. Prints decently to A3+ as well.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

DJExile posted:

I replaced my E-P3 with it and never looked back. I prefer it to any of the other mirrorless cameras I've handled. I have the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 on it most of the time. I've been using it for a lot of video work lately, but that's more due to the excellent image stabilization since it's not a video oriented camera.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So does it seem to anyone else that there won't be a revision to the x100? It seems like they want to continue pushing models that have interchangable lenses and smaller point and shoots. I love the x100 and definitely be ready to pull the trigger on a revised model.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So does it seem to anyone else that there won't be a revision to the x100? It seems like they want to continue pushing models that have interchangable lenses and smaller point and shoots. I love the x100 and definitely be ready to pull the trigger on a revised model.

I'm thinking the opposite, that the lack of new x100 firmware, even after the x10 got revised firmware would indicate that they are readying a replacement. I think a fast wide zoom coupled with the x-Trans sensor or even just a 1.4 revision to the 23mm lens with improvements to focus speed. Maybe even shrinking the body down a bit but retaining the elements that make the x100 special could be a huge boon to Fuji to have on the market as an alternative for people who can't afford the RX-1 but want a fixed lens compact that has character and gives the impression of uncompromised quality. They could come in at $1500+ and still make a killing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Very very much. There isn't much reason not to like the OM-D, except unless you really need accurate continuous focus or very very clean high ISO. Prints decently to A3+ as well.

Cacator posted:

I replaced my E-P3 with it and never looked back. I prefer it to any of the other mirrorless cameras I've handled. I have the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 on it most of the time. I've been using it for a lot of video work lately, but that's more due to the excellent image stabilization since it's not a video oriented camera.

Thanks, y'all own. I'm offloading some of my 4/3 gear and going to pick one of these up with an adapter so I can still use my 7-14mm and 35-100 f/2.0 :toot:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

Thanks, y'all own. I'm offloading some of my 4/3 gear and going to pick one of these up with an adapter so I can still use my 7-14mm and 35-100 f/2.0 :toot:

Olympus recently patented an adapter for 4/3 to m4/3 which would allow you to have AF with the 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies. No idea when or if it actually coming out though.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
In the past couple of months I've completely swapped out my Pentax K20 in favor of the EPM-1 for shows and travel. Really damned impressed by the m4/3 system overall, hitting the spot for image quality that is good enough in most every situation. There are certain areas I still won't use it like in my light tent for studio shots, but that is less of a m4/3 issue and more that my really nice macro lens is K-mount.

Switching from the Pentax with a 16-45mm f/4 lens and Lenovo 15" ThinkPad to the EPM-1 with the stock 14-42mm lens and recently a 13" MacBook Air has been a loving godsend for my shoulders. About the only thing I don't like is the limited depth of field inherent to the m4/3 system in general compared to FF or APS-C. So far I've been working around it, but I'll probably end up using larger cameras when DoF is required.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

About the only thing I don't like is the limited depth of field inherent to the m4/3 system in general compared to FF or APS-C. So far I've been working around it, but I'll probably end up using larger cameras when DoF is required.
Swapping out that kit lens for a nice prime (20, 25, 45, and/or 75) will be a big help there.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Crazy good deal on the E/NEX mount 19mm Sigma f/2.8, $99 at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852002-REG/Sigma_400965_19mm_f_2_8_EX_DN.html

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Radbot posted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852002-REG/Sigma_400965_19mm_f_2_8_EX_DN.html

Everyone should go buy this now. Great lens at $200, but this is basically free.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

SupahCoolX posted:

Swapping out that kit lens for a nice prime (20, 25, 45, and/or 75) will be a big help there.

I have the 14mm 2.5 as well, but its a losing battle compared to the options on the larger sensors for DoF. Right now I'm just using it for its main strengths (size, weight, video capabilities) although beyond some of the cheaper lenses I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole I want to go with this platform.

Right now I have two EPM1's, two 14-42, one 14, and also the 45-200mm . I've been tempted by getting a flash as well as possibly the panny 20mm, but at least right now it handles 90% of the work with less than a grand or so spent total.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E^^^ drat that is one hell of a title.

My OM-D and 45mm f/1.8 arrive tomorrow :toot:

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

DJExile posted:

E^^^ drat that is one hell of a title.

My OM-D and 45mm f/1.8 arrive tomorrow :toot:

I think you are going to be really pleased, that's a hell of a combo

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

krackmonkey posted:

I think you are going to be really pleased, that's a hell of a combo

I have the same combo (along with the 12mm f2- which rules) and yeah, you're going to be happy as hell. I find the 45 a bit too narrow for the kind of shooting I do and I wish I had gotten the Panasonic 25/1.4, but it's still a really awesome and sharp lens, particularly if you're into portrait type shots. If someone offered me a straight up trade for the Pana 25 I'd take it in a second though(I'm serious- if anyone wants to do this PM me :D), it's just not on my camera enough to justify the cost.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

d0s posted:

If someone offered me a straight up trade for the Pana 25 I'd take it in a second though(I'm serious- if anyone wants to do this PM me :D), it's just not on my camera enough to justify the cost.

Might be different if you actually did get it. It's almost permanently fixed onto my OM-D!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo this camera :stare::fh:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Ugh, god dammit. Less than a day after getting a good deal on a camera, and I'm having buyer's remorse.

I picked up a Lumix GF3 with 14mm lens for $380 from a local shop that's clearing stock for the GF5. I'd been looking at the Lumix series for a while, as they seemed to represent good bang-for-buck value, and the price here was enough to force my hand. (I'm sure I could find it even cheaper elsewhere, but I just checked and the same kit is going for $600 new on Amazon, as a point of reference.)

But now I'm wondering if I would have been better off spending the extra little bit to pick up either an Olympus E-PM2 or a Sony NEX-F3, each of which are about $150 more. On the one hand, this camera will be my first proper camera, and I'm sure the Lumix will be a massive upgrade in the first place. But I've rather not be saddled with something for the next however-many-years simply because it was a good deal, and both the Olympus and the Sony seem much better specced on paper (Olympus has built-in IS and a larger ISO range, Sony has the larger sensor and better performance at high ISO, and they each have 16MP vs the Lumix's 12). Of course, I'm well aware that following this logic will soon have me harvesting kidneys to pay for a Leica.

The main argument for the Lumix right now is that I was able to get it with the 14mm lens, whereas I think I'd have to buy it separately for the other two, or just live with the kit zoom lens. And I would prefer to use the pancake lens.

Any thoughts? Are there any other cameras that might be in my budget which you could recommend?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just sold off all my Canon gear so i can afford a new lens for my X-Pro 1. I'm thinking the new 18-55 zoom is probably the way to go but occasionally have a thought that the 18mm prime might be better. Who knows I'll update this on Saturday.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:woop:

and hey, have a look at it with the 45mm f/1.8 versus an OM-1 with 50mm f/1.4

Old monsoon speakers hell yeah :slick:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That's a very sexy little camera.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Shows $149 and out of stock for me :smith:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Yeah, not sure if it was a one-day sale, a pricing error, or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Yeah, not sure if it was a one-day sale, a pricing error, or what.

Thin the latter as it was out of stock and then the price went back up :(