Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Maxwell Adams posted:

Right at the top is the info on co-op invasion. You just load a table into Cheat Engine, toggle a couple things, set a thing to -1, and then invade.

Ah hell, I was hoping this info wouldn't get publicly released... The grief potential is too high.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
How does PvP work in NGs? Do you only invade people within that NG bracket?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NG bracket is irrelevant for everything except for whether Gravelord Black Phantoms appear.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

FrickenMoron posted:

Can you post a table? Im inept at this kind of stuff.

1. Get Cheat Engine.
2. Launch Dark Souls and Cheat Engine. Tell Cheat Engine to open the process called Data.exe.
3. Have this cheat table in your My Documents\My Cheat tables folder, and open it in Cheat Engine. This table used to contain many horrible things, but I've hamfistedly removed everything except the two things you need.
4. Check off a couple boxes and set a thing to -1. I did this at the title screen.
5. Invade. The usual multiplayer stuff still applies, so let the game run for ~10 minutes while the p2p connections warm up. When you get a connection, the 'Invading someone else's world' message will pop up, then be replaced by 'Being summoned as a phantom'.

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 4, 2012

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The LUA script is just something that sets up the convenient Item Setter form.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I haven't done much multiplayer, so what does that above thing do exactly?

Also, how do you use an Estus flask on a coop person.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Genocyber posted:

Also, how do you use an Estus flask on a coop person.
Use it normally, and it will heal them as well (if they're actual people, not NPCs).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Genocyber posted:

I haven't done much multiplayer, so what does that above thing do exactly?

It lets you invade another person in such a way that their game considers you a real white/gold co-op phantom.

This is somewhat more insidious than it appears, because without doing this you can not grief someone after they go through their boss door. It's possible to change between phantom types on-the-fly.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
So, I was invading people in the Burg with nothing but my fists, looking to for a boxing match, when I bumped into a newbie. Knight set, mace. I spent about ten minutes riposting, backstabbing and just rolling around him until he finally got me. Poor guy didn't even seem to know how to lock on. It was adorable.

e: new invasion gimmick: get in, break as much furniture as possible, leave

e2: new gimmick successful. Managed to break all of hosts stuff while playing hide and seek with him and his phantom. Invasion ended when I fell off the stairs with the rolling barrel. The host fell down after me.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 4, 2012

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Are there still enough new players coming through that putting down coop signs is worth doing?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

DerLeo posted:

Are there still enough new players coming through that putting down coop signs is worth doing?

I've been putting down co-op signs but not getting any hits in the Undead Burg and Undead Parish. I wish someone would respond, I wanna play with a phantom bro :(

npe
Oct 15, 2004
Wrong thread! Crap. Sorry.

This is what I get for having two tabs open...

npe fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 4, 2012

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007
I started a NG+ and everything is so much easier once you know how to play the game. On my first try, I spent hours in the Burg (and at the graveyard before that). The first bosses took lots and lots of tries. Now I just effortlessly hacked away at the Asylum Demon, Havel, Taurus Demon, Belfry Gargoyles and the Moonlight Butterfly, and killed them all on my first try. The Capra Demon is sitting on 25 humanity and 300k souls I'd like to retrieve though =/

I also love playing with the Tracer daggers and alternating between them and the Murakumo / Ricard's rapier.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dragonwagon posted:

So, I was invading people in the Burg with nothing but my fists, looking to for a boxing match, when I bumped into a newbie. Knight set, mace. I spent about ten minutes riposting, backstabbing and just rolling around him until he finally got me. Poor guy didn't even seem to know how to lock on. It was adorable.

e: new invasion gimmick: get in, break as much furniture as possible, leave

e2: new gimmick successful. Managed to break all of hosts stuff while playing hide and seek with him and his phantom. Invasion ended when I fell off the stairs with the rolling barrel. The host fell down after me.

This would be even better if your Live name was something like "thisiswhywecanthavenicethings" but that's too long so "Furniture Hater" works too.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I'll have to figure out that namechange hack thing.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Eh, very well. That's a good enough reason. Here's my updated name hack.

code:
<CheatEntry>
                      <ID>271</ID>
                      <Description>"Displayed GFWL Name"</Description>
                      <Color>80000008</Color>
                      <VariableType>String</VariableType>
                      <Length>15</Length>
                      <Unicode>0</Unicode>
                      <ZeroTerminate>1</ZeroTerminate>
                      <Address>"DATA.exe"+00FC8E8C</Address>
                      <Offsets>
                        <Offset>30</Offset>
                        <Offset>2C</Offset>
                      </Offsets>
                    </CheatEntry>
Changes it everywhere except for summon sign and GFWL's interface, which cannot be changed without interfering with your online connectivity.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Neat, thanks. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Been putting down my sign near the boss fog door's campfire in Anor Londo but no hits at all.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Argas posted:

Been putting down my sign near the boss fog door's campfire in Anor Londo but no hits at all.

By "the boss fog door's campfire" do you mean the one in the balcony beyond the fog wall? Nobody's going to summon you there, you can't even get there without killing OC & Stiggs. If you put your sign down in the bonfire near where Solaire is sitting, you're more likely to get people who just summon phantoms to get around rather than running straight to the boss. No, I recommend putting your sign next to Solaire's sign on the stair landing where the one archer is parked.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

It always feels real good killing O&S on your first attempt in a playthrough. :black101:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

UnholyCow posted:

It always feels real good killing O&S on your first attempt in a playthrough. :black101:

Did that with Nito. :black101:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I have just discovered how ridiculously fun it is to invade as an NPC/Boss character. Invading in Anor Londo as Smough and encountering people who appear to be new to the game and as a result have no idea what I am. I can only imagine the looks on their faces as they get through the fog door and find a bigger invader wondering what's going on.

Oh Darkmooning is a tricky life.

Also, I was co-oping in Dukes from the balcony bonfire and got summoned by some guy who was completely new to the area, so much so that after summoning me they immediately ran back to the entrance and tried to walk through the fog door thinking it was progress.

Was truly adorable, then I led them on the warpath through the archives and decimated Seath for them, including the liberation of the tail. Good thing I was there since they immediately started pacing around Seath priming for an attack, apparently not picking up on the crystal at the end.

I do wonder though if they actually noticed me breaking the crystal or if their delay from realising Seath was there and actually attacking was long enough that they didn't notice his immortality. Will be an enjoyable second run for them.

Also for Anor Londo, I found the best summoning spot was the stairs leading to the two Sentinels outside, get to trek around the outside and get all those extra souls, along with helping poor people get past those archers.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Which bosses are most active for coop again?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Any advice for tomb of the giants? I have a skull lantern and it still blows and I hate it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

GoldenNugget posted:

Any advice for tomb of the giants? I have a skull lantern and it still blows and I hate it.

Sunlight maggot, found in Lost Izalith.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Run and hope for the best.
Alternatively, leave and pick up the Sunlight Maggot or Cast Light (and 14 INT) and warp back. Those give you light and don't need you to lose your shield slot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

redmercer posted:

By "the boss fog door's campfire" do you mean the one in the balcony beyond the fog wall? Nobody's going to summon you there, you can't even get there without killing OC & Stiggs. If you put your sign down in the bonfire near where Solaire is sitting, you're more likely to get people who just summon phantoms to get around rather than running straight to the boss. No, I recommend putting your sign next to Solaire's sign on the stair landing where the one archer is parked.

Wasn't quite sure how to phrase it and I was trying to avoid "Solaire by the bonfire" for some reason.

I just haven't been getting any hits at all on this character except for one time with the Gargoyles. Nothing in the Depths or for Quelaag. I'll give near Solaire's sign a shot though.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

UnholyCow posted:

I had the most backwards difficulty with bosses on my first run. Killed O&S, Quelaag, Capra Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede Demon and Sif on my first try with no problem (and Pinwheel but that's normal). Got absolutely murdered by gargoyles, gaping dragon, stray demon,and moonlight butterfly repeatedly as well as the first titanite demon, the hydra, and those three cats in Darkroot.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

DerLeo posted:

I think it's the Gargoyles and Ornstein and Smough.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Just finished my first playthrough (and inadvertently chose the dark ending like a moron)! This was one of the best games I've ever played. Time for a second run. First, I did a faith/endurance build so next, either strength or dexterity so I can use some of the cool weapons this game showers you with. Also, I completely missed Great Hollow and Ash Lake, so I've got to rectify that! Plenty of covenants left to join, too.

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 5, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do a strength build. Flatten people.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Strength/Int?
Flatten people, Darkbead others.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Strength/int/pyromancy.

Flatten people. Dark Bead others. Burn the rest.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

DerLeo posted:

I got summoned pretty quickly several times in a row when I put my symbol down at the Capra Demon, not that exciting of a fight to help on though since it ends so quickly.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Can you Undead Rapport an Undead Dragon?

Also thought you guys might find this funny: http://bitmob.com/articles/leaving-lordran-why-im-done-with-dark-souls

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like that dark souls is a game that doesn't let you enjoy it if you're not good enough. It makes things funny.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That dude is a weiner.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He played for 15 hours and stayed stuck in the same area?

Yeah, I think maybe Pokemon is more his speed.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

muike posted:

I like that dark souls is a game that doesn't let you enjoy it if you're not good enough. It makes things funny.

I think that the Nintendo Wii has some easy, family-friendly games which are more his style. I don't think you can lose them, either.

Dark Souls is impossible to people who have a learning disability, like that author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I think the Pokemon and FF13 references mark Bitmob guy as an obvious troll, but I could be wrong.

• Locked thread