Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

mattfl posted:

I could seriously post images of them all day, they love having their pictures taken and I probably have hundreds of them!

Well, what's stopping you? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AcetylCoA! posted:

Well, what's stopping you? :colbert:

You asked for it! :)

Gracie was not amused at having her picture taken!

My new hat!

Dad enough with the pictures already!

This one, I woke my girlfriend up I was laughing so hard. Archer was passed out, like completely passed out, so I decided to have a little fun :) He decided to eat that hat the next day :(

Gracie meet goat, goat meet Gracie

Such a cute face!

Gracie likes to stick her tongue out at you.

Spoiled rotten

How he sleeps most of the time.

This is ours now

This too..

Archer likes riding in the back of my Jeep too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: Is Gracie okay medically? Because if she is, it would probably be super beneficial to her to cut back on her food. She looks like a doll, but all that extra weight on her joints at that age can make her more apt to be sore. And oh god I'm not trying to be a dog weight sperg.

I enjoy your new hat quite a lot (and clearly so did he apparently, I bet it was delicious). I bet Archer runs forever in that ball park, doesn't he? Because gosh those front legs look like they're made for flailing all over the place in the happiest way.

And I bet that bookshelf isn't all he climbs. :3:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: Is Gracie okay medically? Because if she is, it would probably be super beneficial to her to cut back on her food. She looks like a doll, but all that extra weight on her joints at that age can make her more apt to be sore. And oh god I'm not trying to be a dog weight sperg.

I enjoy your new hat quite a lot (and clearly so did he apparently, I bet it was delicious). I bet Archer runs forever in that ball park, doesn't he? Because gosh those front legs look like they're made for flailing all over the place in the happiest way.

And I bet that bookshelf isn't all he climbs. :3:

Gracie has a thyroid problem and is on medication for it and has had her food cut down. It's ok and I appreciate the concern, we know she's over weight and we have been working on it. She still loves to play and oh man, when she gets moving in the backyard lookout because she will knock you on your rear end and 140 pound dogs just don't stop on a dime lol.

Archer runs like a Greyhound. He is incredibly fast and pretty nimble for his size, he loves going to the ball field to run. I have a pretty big back yard and he has worn out the grass along the fence and around the whole yard where has made himself his own track he runs!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: Nooo, Gracie. At least you're trying with her, because there's not a lot of owners that'd bother and... yeah. I know all about the 140 pound thing. I got crushed by a rampaging Balen the other day for the first time in years. My knee is popping really cool.

You realize we need some videos of Archer running around like a goofball right?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ohdear: Nooo, Gracie. At least you're trying with her, because there's not a lot of owners that'd bother and... yeah. I know all about the 140 pound thing. I got crushed by a rampaging Balen the other day for the first time in years. My knee is popping really cool.

You realize we need some videos of Archer running around like a goofball right?

Gracie is living a good life so don't worry about her, she's just a little chunky that's all, or big boned as she likes to say :)

Video as requested, this is probably 4 months ago or so, he's a little thicker now, still pretty lean though, we don't think he's going to get OMG huge, just fill out a little more and be more muscular.

http://youtu.be/Ze9ZQxHENUA

Here's Archer and my girlfriends dog Paisley who is a basset mix. This is in my old house with a smaller back yard so you can kinda get the idea of how fast he is, he's probably going about half speed in this video lol. And yeah I know the grass needed to be cut :)

I swear when he gets going full speed and goes to turn his side is almost rubbing the ground he gets so low!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My girlfriend, her mom, and her mom's big dogs. Most of my cell phone pics from Thanksgiving turned out really dark, but I'll try to make them clearer tomorrow so I can post more pics. Big dogs trying to fit in small spaces make for hilarious photo ops.

Coco is on the left and Amos is on the right. They're both about 90-95 pounds and a year and a half old tops. Coco's a Dane, possibly mixed with something smaller, and Amos is a Doberman. They're both rescues and good friends with each other as well as with Ozie, her chihuaua.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Shanti is almost 7 months old now. He's getting pretty thick in the waist, and doesn't look so weird and fragile like he did a month or two ago. He had this giant head and giant ribcage with this pretty little ballerina waist. Now he's looking like a real Newfie, though he still has his puppy face. I have Instagram, so occasionally someone will like one of the old photos and I get a notification. I can't believe how much he's grown in such a short time!

He is such a great, calm dog. We still haven't gotten into training classes because I can't drive, and I just haven't been able to find a time that works for my mom/boyfriend, whoever would be driving me, but he's really smart and picks things up from me quite quickly. I hope that in a year or so, I can get him to be a therapy dog.

Sorry that I don't have many pictures of him alone... My parents and I have ended up with this weird custody-sharing thing where we keep our dogs together, so Shanti basically thinks Aussie is God and follows him around everywhere.

"Feed meeeeeeee."

Here they are on a walk together, you can really see how big Shanti is. Everything Aus smells, Shanti has to smell too.

My bookends, taking up the whole couch.

Aaaaand... I may have dyed Shanti's white patch pink. I'm planning on dyeing some of my hair pink in the next couple of days, so I thought mommy and baby could match for a bit.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

mattfl posted:

And this is Gracie being silly

I could seriously post images of them all day, they love having their pictures taken and I probably have hundreds of them!

It's amazing how much she looks like my Sage in this picture, facial expression and all. She's out on the porch in the unseasonable sunshine doing this right now, wanting more tummy rubs. Gonna hafta go love that belly some more. :3:

Also, there's no excuse for not posting more pics, mister. :colbert:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Starting a 180 mile round trip drive with my mom in about half an hour so we can go pick up 4-6 x 5 week old Dane puppies & 1-2 adults from somewhere in the vicinity of Hudson, FL. :dogout: :tfrxmas: Taking my decent camera so I might have some pictures later today.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

It's amazing how much she looks like my Sage in this picture, facial expression and all. She's out on the porch in the unseasonable sunshine doing this right now, wanting more tummy rubs. Gonna hafta go love that belly some more. :3:

Also, there's no excuse for not posting more pics, mister. :colbert:

Alrighty!

It's amazing how small they can make themselves. Archer can curl up into a real smallish ball when he wants to.

Like daughter like father?

Archer and Paisley blowin in the wind

Yes, he gets most anything he wants with this face.

Seems fond of my girlfriend too

Enjoys long walks and drinking out of water fountains!

Dad, this bed isn't too small for me!

Me either dad, see!

Graduation day from puppy classes!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Happy holidays! Well, almost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

MREBoy posted:

Starting a 180 mile round trip drive with my mom in about half an hour so we can go pick up 4-6 x 5 week old Dane puppies & 1-2 adults from somewhere in the vicinity of Hudson, FL. :dogout: :tfrxmas: Taking my decent camera so I might have some pictures later today.

You're driving a semi truck to get them, right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Serella posted:

You're driving a semi truck to get them, right?

If everyone's friendly you can totally fit that many in one of those sports SUV things. Like a jeep liberty.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

mattfl posted:

Alrighty!
Graduation day from puppy classes!

I love this picture. He's so gangly.

uptown
May 16, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Happy holidays! Well, almost.

He's got really great teeth for a Greyhound, wow. Do you brush?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

uptown posted:

I'm always jealous of her teeth when actionjackson posts pictures that show them. Husker's are permanently stained and have been since before I got him, so even if I take really good care of them they look kind of gross. The vet suspects he may have been a bar chewer at the track, since they're extremely worn for a dog his age.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

uptown posted:

It's a she (albeit a pretty large one), and yes every day

uptown
May 16, 2009
She's gorgeous. I love seeing Greyhound smiles.

For thread content... I gave Shanti a bison ankle today, it was his first real bone. He loved it!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Good dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W0xrjCNoDM

Very good dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbO-NdFd-k4

Exceptionally good dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-lCcTpzfM

:stare: good dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4TqmeSq3s

uptown, you need to find this person and learn their wizardry.

Petey fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 2, 2012

uptown
May 16, 2009
After watching those videos, I now think Shanti should be on the short bus.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

uptown posted:

After watching those videos, I now think Shanti should be on the short bus.

More like Nemo should be at MIT.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEmDHO9rLGY

Aussie exceeds newfoundland in fetching ability.

You have fluff and huggableness. We have the dog-fetched beer. :colbert:

uptown
May 16, 2009
Ha! I'm going to try to teach my parents' Golden how to do that. My dad would be THRILLED to have beer delivery.

So now that Shanti is bigger than Aus, I've got such a weird perspective on dog sizes. I look at... well pretty much every other dog besides those in this thread and think "aww wookit da widdle guy" even if it's Lab-sized. Small breeds just look like tiny rats to me.

Rubber Ducky
Nov 5, 2009
She is not quite into Great Dane size, but this is Talon:

She is an 85 lbs shepard mix, and as you can see, a big fan of our couch.

edit - oh god that's huge
edit again - I am terrible at this

Rubber Ducky fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 2, 2012

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Wound up getting 4 of 6 puppies and 0 adults yesterday. Other 2 pups were "promised" to someone :jerkbag: . The location in question was a trailer in a field, surrounded by fence - with 5 female and 1 male adult Danes all running loose, barking like mad and the male randomly attacking the others every so often. 3 of 5 females had full teats or teat sag and the male was not neutered (like that's a surprise.)

box of spuds:

(Box = redneck pet carrier, not my idea)

Supposedly negotiations are in progress to get the mother of these guys and the lone male out of there.

EDIT to add: http://youtu.be/OO6RUZTaX0k

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 3, 2012

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

safetyStanddown posted:

I am proud to say I am adopting my first puppy!!!
Meet Ham!!

Here's Ham now!

He's gonna get so big...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

SSD are you AD? Because moving around with danes is a hell of a financial thing. It's totally worth it and totally doable, but I figure I oughta mention it off the bat. But goddamn :3: Dane puppies. Look it that spotty little nose!
Yes, I'm a spouse. Fortunately, we're at our last duty station now (6+ years in), and should be getting out after this.

uptown
May 16, 2009
^^Hrghhh so gorgeous

You know, before this thread, I had only met one Great Dane and I didn't particularly like her. Now I see all of yours and I am so jealous.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

safetyStanddown posted:

Here's Ham now!

He's gonna get so big...

Yes, I'm a spouse. Fortunately, we're at our last duty station now (6+ years in), and should be getting out after this.

:3: Aww. Yeah, ETSing with a dane is way easier than base hopping. Still, if you guys need any like, flight moving info I'd be happy to help out with info.

And I love that he has one big black puppy leg. Or it's almost entirely black. He's so flipping cute.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
My daughter and son-in-law's big ole' dog (and he's only 3 months old and already at 45 pounds!!)

It's a good thing my SIL makes LOTS of money is all I can say. Food alone for this monster is going to cost a fortune! He's SO sweet though, immediately adopted my daughter as his, is wonderful with their son, and is less gangly and galumphing than I expected from a goofy Dane.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

This is not exactly a happy story, but definitely belongs in this thread...

quote:

The heroic efforts of one Great Dane continue to have far-reaching effects. And not just for the woman whose life he saved.

Last year, a young woman contacted the Rose Brooks Center (a domestic violence shelter in Kansas City, MO) after her boyfriend had beaten her — nearly to death — with a hammer. Space was immediately found for the woman at the shelter but there was one problem: She had a 110-pound Great Dane that she refused to abandon.

The dog had saved her life by lying on top of her during the attack, taking the majority of the blows. The heroic pooch sustained many injuries, including a broken hip and ribs.

How could the center refuse shelter for such a brave animal?

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
God drat I love dogs. Dogs are the single greatest achievement of the human race.

I want to hug every dog right now, because dogs are amazing and I love them.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

Azrael Alexander posted:

God drat I love dogs. Dogs are the single greatest achievement of the human race.

I want to hug every dog right now, because dogs are amazing and I love them.

I think if you live a good enough life, you get reincarnated as a dog.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MREBoy posted:

Wound up getting 4 of 6 puppies and 0 adults yesterday. Other 2 pups were "promised" to someone :jerkbag: . The location in question was a trailer in a field, surrounded by fence - with 5 female and 1 male adult Danes all running loose, barking like mad and the male randomly attacking the others every so often. 3 of 5 females had full teats or teat sag and the male was not neutered (like that's a surprise.)

box of spuds:

(Box = redneck pet carrier, not my idea)

Supposedly negotiations are in progress to get the mother of these guys and the lone male out of there.

EDIT to add: http://youtu.be/OO6RUZTaX0k

OMG I want them all!

Are you a rescue place or what? That's a box full of cuteness right there.

edit: ok I see that you do rescue dogs. You are doing Gods work!

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

In the interest of full disclosure, its actually my mom who is a member of this group. She retired from work about a year ago and hooked up with this group in order to have something to do. She's driven to various places in south-west Florida picking up animals, and we've fostered 3 different Danes in this time. This past Saturday was the first time I've ever actually gone along on a run to get dogs.

So anyway, right now all the pups are at another ladies house, and they went to the vet today. The group will eventually put them up for adoption, after they get cleaned up, grow up a bit, and get acclimated to people.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

i can't stop admiring this heffalump

send help

or a leonberger

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I want to grab that dog's big dumb head and skoosh his cheeks while making high pitched squealy noises. I cannot imagine the epic and awesome snuggle time sessions you'd get out of that big guy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Slobbery too, I imagine. :3:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
How much do Newfies really slobber? Like are they just faucets continually running? Or more just when they're hot?

I mean I thought I'd pretty much only ever own Leos, but I absolutely loooove Newfs and maybe I'll just alternate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uptown
May 16, 2009
^^You need to post more pictures of Neuman. I've only ever met one Leonberger but he was a total doll. Does he have a dry mouth?

Shanti only drools after he drinks water. It's fine as long as I wait whiles he drinks and towel his dewlaps off right away. He gets a little foamy and damp around the mouth when he eats, but it's no big deal.

That said, it's winter right now and he was a dry-mouthed little puppy during the summer, so we'll see what happens when it gets hot out.

uptown fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 4, 2012