Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

That's some viral stuff. The teaser will possibly be released early online on the 10th, if not the 12th with The Hobbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I really, really hope that Pacific Rim doesn't turn out to be Cloverfield with Robots.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ProfessorProf posted:

I really, really hope that Pacific Rim doesn't turn out to be Cloverfield with Robots.

I hope it's not good too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Trump posted:

David Thewlis and especially Ghassan Massoud owned the screen everytime they appeared.

I really want to love the movie, especially the DC, but Orlando Bloom just comes in and fucks it right the gently caress up everytime I let myself get sucked in but the other performances.

I felt the same way about Troy, but that was more due to them somehow completely loving up because if anyone could pull off prissy prince that everyone loving hates and hopes dies horribly it is Orlando Bloom, but alas :sigh:

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Troy is one of my most hated Hollywood movies ever, so much I usually forget Orlando Bloom is even in it.

ProfessorProf posted:

That would be helluva coincidence huh? Like, the same movie, but robots instead of yuppies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ProfessorProf posted:

Devin Faraci confirmed that it's not a handheld/shakeycam film.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

Why?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

The movies are not even trying to be similar.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Benne posted:

Trailer for Jack The Giant Slayer is out

http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/20/jack-the-giant-slayer-trailer-slay-this-crap/

Yes, you really did just see "You Don't Know Jack" in there.

Jack and the beanstalk is fairytale for dumb babies, look how cool we are making it into a dark epic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wheany posted:

Jack and the beanstalk is fairytale for dumb babies, look how cool we are making it into a dark epic.
Well aren't all fairy tales really dark stories that have been lighten up in the past century?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Well aren't all fairy tales really dark stories that have been lighten up in the past century?

The last couple of centuries now, but yes. They're still meant for children aged five to ten, though, as they were originally told as much to instruct and to warn as to entertain. Take Little Red Riding Hood, for example: a girl talks to a strange man in the woods and tells him where she's going. The stranger then murders her grandmother and lies in wait for the girl. When she arrives, he rapes and murders her. The lesson for the child: never talk to strangers. If you're only familiar with the Disneyfied versions, let me tell you, the originals are more like the Saw movies. The stepsisters in Cinderella cut off pieces of their feet so the slipper will fit - and the slipper itself was a sexual innuendo that has been lost in translation - and the prince who wakes Sleeping Beauty did a hell of a lot more than just kiss her.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe. I'm still pretty sure the original Jack and the beanstalk was nothing like that film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheany posted:

That movie looked pretty goofy for a "dark epic".

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Wheany posted:

Maybe. I'm still pretty sure the original Jack and the beanstalk was nothing like that film.

Pretty sure Jack the Giantkiller, at least in its original incarnation, is a separate story about giants that happens to star another dude named Jack and is not actually Jack and the Beanstalk related at all.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Alhazred posted:

That movie looked pretty goofy for a "dark epic".

Yeah, it looks not at all as dark as people seem to think. It looks like a pretty loving modern fairytale type thing to me.

anticake posted:

Pretty sure Jack the Giantkiller, at least in its original incarnation, is a separate story about giants that happens to star another dude named Jack and is not actually Jack and the Beanstalk related at all.

It's an old Cornish myth.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

anticake posted:

Come on.

The trailer shows magic beans sprouting a beanstalk and lifting a house up into the air and there was a "fe fi fo fum" line.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Ah, then they are conflating the stories in the film and it wasn't you then. Apologies.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Upstream Color:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdYO3KWmcv8

Feels like if P.T. Anderson and Terrence Malick had a baby, it would be Shane Carruth making this.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Upstream Color:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdYO3KWmcv8

Feels like if P.T. Anderson and Terrence Malick had a baby, it would be Shane Carruth making this.

Wow, I had not heard about this, but this has skyrocketed it to the top of my list. I sort of thought Shane Carruth would probably never do another movie, and now it looks like maybe he even got a bit more cash to work with. This looks great... I think?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The AV Club just debuted a new feature which should be of some interest to this thread. Trailers Revisted in which they do a post mortem of movie trailers after the movie has come out. Focusing on whether the trailer accurately represented the movie or not.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw

The Japanese version had more footage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonz posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is so loving amazing.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

I just came back from watching Skyfall and this piece of poo poo was shown in front of it:

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9246msCh7x4

That could just as well be named "Spiderman and Strawberry shortcake: Witch Hunters"

The only thing that has anything to do with anything is that in the original story Hansel and Gretel went to a witch's house and almost got eaten. And that Hansel and Gretel are two names that people recognize.

My suggestion for the name also satisfies the second condition.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Usually Hollywood is pretty gun-shy about retrying a failed idea (The Brothers Grimm) and this looks easily as bad so who knows what the thinking was behind this.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Wheany posted:

I just came back from watching Skyfall and this piece of poo poo was shown in front of it:

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9246msCh7x4

That could just as well be named "Spiderman and Strawberry shortcake: Witch Hunters"

The only thing that has anything to do with anything is that in the original story Hansel and Gretel went to a witch's house and almost got eaten. And that Hansel and Gretel are two names that people recognize.

My suggestion for the name also satisfies the second condition.

No well this just looks amazing. It's like Van Helsing meets Wrath of the Titans in the woods with Twilight.

e: versus Ghost Rider

Shanty fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 6, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wheany posted:

It's also what the comic Fables did with Hansel, except he became more of a witch inquisitor instead of a witch hunter. And Gretel did not really go that route.

Really, though, for a concept as simple as "people fighting supernatural monsters in a medievalish age," why does Hollywood keep loving it up? Brothers Grimm, Van Helsing, and now Hansel and Gretel. Even the recent Wolfman with Benicio Del Toro seems to have been mostly forgotten, so much so that I can't even remember whether that was actually the name of the movie. I'm trying to actually think of a movie in this "genre" that doesn't suck, and the only thing I can think of is Brotherhood of the Wolf.

teagone posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is so loving amazing.

I'm really happy to see that Cumberbatch is getting a lot of exposure. Hopefully not being overexposed, but drat that voice is just awesome.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I think that the movie being just "Witch Hunters" would be just about as appealing (admittedly not very), based on that trailer. The hunters being Hansel and Gretel really does not add anything to it.

They could be two people hunting witches for ~reasons~, and witches could still capture kids from medieval villages. And they could still fight eachother with fantastical anachronistic weapons.

I guess they could do something brilliant with the Hansel and Gretel premise (doubtful, guessing that the main villain is their step mom, who is also a witch/vampire/werewolf for some reason), but judging from that trailer the only reason it has their names on it is because of theid childhood experience, they have a "taste of witch blood".

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Gonz posted:

I don't know what to think about this because I honestly have no idea whats going on. Only that some cliche villain voice is saying some vaguely threatening things while the Inception noise plays

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVaEoQMarg
Storage 24 looks like a very standard scifi/horror movie, but it's interesting how much this trailer wants to be the trailer to Alien.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ProfessorProf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVaEoQMarg
Storage 24 looks like a very standard scifi/horror movie, but it's interesting how much this trailer wants to be the trailer to Alien.

This one's already out on DVD in the UK. It is basically Alien in a warehouse, but it's not bad.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm already sold on the idea and that image of a huge anime monster corpse being hauled on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
The trailer for Tom Cruise 2013 Sci-Fi-Epic #1, Oblivion, has been leaked

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Y'know, Tom Cruise is an odd, Xenu-worshipping, sycophantic madman with a poo poo-eating grin (and a thousand yard stare), but goddamn if he doesn't make entertaining movies. I am excited for this film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Official trailer released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3Mt9yiz6k

I love the aesthetics of the trailer. Hadn't heard anything regarding this movie, but drat does it look visually stunning. It has a District 9 vibe to it or something. Maybe it's the white armor/weapons, heh. I guess this and Elysium are my top sci-fi films to look out for this spring/summer.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 9, 2012

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

teagone posted:

Official trailer released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3Mt9yiz6k

I love the aesthetics of the trailer. Hadn't heard anything regarding this movie, but drat does it look visually stunning. It has a District 9 vibe to it or something. Maybe it's the white armor/weapons, heh. I guess this and Elysium are my top sci-fi films to look out for this spring/summer.

Its got an I am Legend/Wall-E/Prometheus thing goin' on, looks promising.

I find it very hard to find Tom Cruise likable in anything he does though (besides Tropic Thunder), he irritates me for some reason.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 9, 2012

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I found that trailer to be very confusing and somewhat generic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Speleothing posted:

I found that trailer to be very confusing and somewhat generic.

I don't know, I got a decent grasp of the film from the trailer I think. Tom Cruise is one of the last humans on earth after decades of warring with an alien species. Despite winning the war, the human race bailed into space as a result of that interstellar confrontation leaving the earth in a state of desolation. Cruise is a repairman of some kind, fixing up drones that are (what I assume) cleaning up/prepping earth for the return of the human race.

Jack (Cruise), only has 2 weeks left before his shift is over, but unfortunately comes into contact with maybe some stowaway aliens who got left behind, and eventually gets captured by some kind of underground resistance/war refugees led by Morgan Freeman. The rest is up in the air regarding those two bits, but for the most part, it feels very much like an action oriented WALL-E, like The Slipper Nipple mentioned.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Wall-E comparison is great; writer Michael Arndt wrote Toy Story 3 for Pixar.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

teagone posted:

I don't know, I got a decent grasp of the film from the trailer I think. Tom Cruise is one of the last humans on earth after decades of warring with an alien species. Despite winning the war, the human race bailed into space as a result of that interstellar confrontation leaving the earth in a state of desolation. Cruise is a repairman of some kind, fixing up drones that are (what I assume) cleaning up/prepping earth for the return of the human race.

Jack (Cruise), only has 2 weeks left before his shift is over, but unfortunately comes into contact with maybe some stowaway aliens who got left behind, and eventually gets captured by some kind of underground resistance/war refugees led by Morgan Freeman. The rest is up in the air regarding those two bits, but for the most part, it feels very much like an action oriented WALL-E, like The Slipper Nipple mentioned.

There also seems to be something to do with lost/recovered memories going on. Notice how Cruise's character has a memory of the pre-war world, despite that being sixty years ago. Then there's this woman he doesn't remember for some reason, plus the tagline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe the aliens actually won the war and is loving with his mind and making him snuff out the survivors of the human race unknowingly :smugdog:

• Locked thread