Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

From the chickencheese thread, but why the gently caress not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jadus posted:

My work office recently got a renovation, and now in addition to my spread of cables, I have ample wall space that I'm looking to cover with something sufficiently classy/technical for an IT office.

Any suggestions?
Shelves

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just got a new monitor so I cleaned up my desk and stuff.

You can't see the wallpaper so well in the picture but here it is.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Panthrax posted:

Heh. I know how you feel. Now I have a server, a Yealink and two Polycoms. And soon to be another Yealink, couple more Polycoms and another server. :(

Oh man. I finally had to stop. I was working from 7-11pm every night.

ESXi server
6TB SAN
2 HP switches
ASA5505
Unifi AP-PRO
Air Cam
Two YeaLink phones
FreePBX server
Synology NAS for backups

Our power went out the other day, so I dragged my 1500 UPS + powerstrip out. Uggggg....

My "desktop" is one of a handful of laptops floating around. My actual desktop has been taken over my my wife.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Jadus posted:

My work office recently got a renovation, and now in addition to my spread of cables, I have ample wall space that I'm looking to cover with something sufficiently classy/technical for an IT office.

Any suggestions?

Find an artist working in a style you like, support them by buying a few pieces. This is what walls are for.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jadus posted:

I have ample wall space that I'm looking to cover with something sufficiently classy/technical for an IT office.

a 6' by 4' print of this

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

a 6' by 4' print of this

But mirror it horizontally and put it up next to a print of this:

Edit: here's a quick & dirty simulation with slightly hosed up perspective:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 27, 2012

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

mcsuede posted:

Find an artist working in a style you like, support them by buying a few pieces. This is what walls are for.

This is a good idea that I didn't really think of, thanks.

mobby_6kl posted:

Edit: here's a quick & dirty simulation with slightly hosed up perspective:

But this is pretty fantastic. I wonder if I can find a high enough resolution to print it big.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Jadus posted:

But this is pretty fantastic. I wonder if I can find a high enough resolution to print it big.

You can also get a rasterbation of it? http://arje.net/rasterbator

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Jesus christ do this right now.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

jink posted:

You can also get a rasterbation of it? http://arje.net/rasterbator

My god thank you for this app.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

KingEup posted:

My god thank you for this app.

It's worth mounting the paper on hard surfaces before hanging to get a better looking picture.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Scored an old folding table from Freecycle.

It's not pretty or remotely neat, but it's nice having roughly 3x the desk space. Previously the speakers were on their sides, with the monitors sitting on top of them, in the corner of the room. PC used to sit on the "printer stand" that's sitting under the table, it's now on the floor. Stereo receiver has always been on the lower shelf of that stand.

TV's always been hooked up to the PC as a 3rd monitor, but the old desk wasn't under the TV (it's just visible to the left of the folding table, currently holding one of my printers).

Now to figure out a way to cover the sharp edge of the table by the keyboard. :argh: I have masking tape on it for now...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 1, 2012

Rabbak
Nov 30, 2012

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012

Apart from the poor wallpaper choices, that is a sweet setup.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

here's a quick & dirty simulation with slightly hosed up perspective:

I wish I had two bare walls right now

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dicklas posted:

Apart from the poor wallpaper choices, that is a sweet setup.
Seriously, ragecomics are this decade's bacon monkeycheese.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Work machine on the left, personal on the right

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Drogadon posted:

Your work machine is the mac and your personal one is the Dell? Isn't it usually the opposite in situations like this?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Your work machine is the mac and your personal one is the Dell? Isn't it usually the opposite in situations like this?

I used to own only the Dell and used it for work as well, then they gave me the mac at work. Now the Dell is for games and browsing non-work stuff.

I suppose it's usually the opposite though.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Drogadon posted:

What desks are those?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

chizad posted:

What desks are those?

Got them from a local furniture store like two years ago and I don't see them anymore in their catalog. No idea about their brand or anything, no markings on them at all and the boxes are long gone, sorry.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Drogadon posted:

Got them from a local furniture store like two years ago and I don't see them anymore in their catalog. No idea about their brand or anything, no markings on them at all and the boxes are long gone, sorry.

Well the wire shelves are a design made by Whitmor and several other people if that helps any one. The desktops are what I haven't seen before.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
They look like something from Z-line.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Same deal for me. MacBook for programming, PC for gaming, and which ever one I happen to be on for browsing etc. I don't think I'll ever use Windows again in a professional setting again (besides testing websites in their crappy browsers).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

My inspection workstation.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For what it's worth, I have a Macbook on my desk at work (as well as a Windows 7 machine), but have no Mac at home..

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

rscott posted:

My inspection workstation.

Is that CATIA?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's Verisurf but yeah we import CATIA models and I do have it installed on that workstation.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody have pictures of a computer table/desk in a modern living room? (i.e. fire place, hardwood floor, area rugs, etc)

I'm looking for something very simple and won't look out of place...

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Vinlaen posted:

Does anybody have pictures of a computer table/desk in a modern living room? (i.e. fire place, hardwood floor, area rugs, etc)

I'm looking for something very simple and won't look out of place...

The only things I've ever found that I think look good in a modern environment are extremely expensive, usually Herman Miller, Knoll, C&B, etc. George Nelson has some incredible designs.

http://www.dwr.com/category/workspace/desks-worktables.do?nType=1

I would kill for this C&B Hendrix desk, but it's $1499 and.. I didn't inherit my mothers MUSTHAVEEXPENSIVE furniture quality.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

That picture is so unrealistic. How many work desks like that don't have a computer on them these days?

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

glompix posted:

That picture is so unrealistic. How many work desks like that don't have a computer on them these days?

They've got it setup as a "writing desk" in that shot.

Computer-wise, if you can afford that furniture for your downtown loft/condo you hide your desktop/media devices in your media closet. Every one of those condos I've been in are wired to all hell, it makes me incredibly jealous.

The rich guys I know typically use HDMI over IP (like kd-hdms4x4 http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/kdhdms4x4.asp) to access their computers as cable-free as possible. The computers get hidden away in a closet/media closet.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Five months ago when I moved into this apartment, this was my computer.

As of today, this is my computer.

Last thing to do is paint a piece of wood to put up in front of the cables behind the monitors, and things'll be perfect.

And yes, that is a leg lamp.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
My setup:

3x 24" U2412M, as 1 display group
i7 860 (the giant heatsink is there due to airflow issues w/ my previous video cards)
16GB RAM
MSI 7970 Lightning
random 1TB HD (I might move to an SSD for boot/current games)

The desk is "hand made", as in I went to Home Depot, got a 4'x8' sheet of good plywood, cut it up, and bolted legs on. It's lasted 10 years and cost me all of $40.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

oogs posted:

My setup:

3x 24" U2412M, as 1 display group
i7 860 (the giant heatsink is there due to airflow issues w/ my previous video cards)
16GB RAM
MSI 7970 Lightning
random 1TB HD (I might move to an SSD for boot/current games)

The desk is "hand made", as in I went to Home Depot, got a 4'x8' sheet of good plywood, cut it up, and bolted legs on. It's lasted 10 years and cost me all of $40.

Does Vsync work in fullscreen games?

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
I haven't looked/tried. I'll mess w/ it on PS2 later tonight and get back to you. It being ff hasn't been an issue yet.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

oogs posted:

I haven't looked/tried. I'll mess w/ it on PS2 later tonight and get back to you. It being ff hasn't been an issue yet.
Cool. It will not work on my 3xPortrait Eyefinity setup. I get bad tearing and a 120fps cap (on 60hz IPS monitors). In windowed mode, it works fine. I'm getting read to switch to nvidia as a result.

You'd be surprised at how difficult this issue is to research - you're the first goon who I've seen post about eyefinity/nvidia surround.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 18, 2012

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, it's annoying at best. Very few people seem to go for multi-monitor gaming, despite the awesomeness. Modern cards can handle it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
Well, I'm not seeing any tearing w/ vsync on. I'm getting 20-40fps in ultra setting on PlanetSide2 at 3600x1920. The main limiter seems to be my CPU (the game tells me that).

Edit: A few hours later....

Ok, there's *some* tearing, but nothing bothersome, and nothing consistent. My GPU runs hotter w/ vsync on (expected), but that's about it. FPS are stable in the 20-40 range, 40-60 when not in combat.

2nd edit: Oh, I'm running in Full Screen Windows so I can alt tab to and from applications (mumble, monitoring tools). PS2 will still use up all available space, it's just technically in a border-less window.

oogs fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 18, 2012