Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Really this is all explained in the Nintendo Power comic "Crisis on Infinite Marios".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Vidyatendo posted:

In Mario Galaxy 2, however, everyone has gotten amnesia or some crap and it just pissed me off. I mean, Mario didn't even recognize a Luma. I dunno.
There's something that kinda sorta explains this, but it's probably spoilers. Meaningless spoilers, but spoilers.

(If you kinda pay attention to how the intro plays out you can probably figure it out, but again it doesn't really mean anything)

EDIT: and no it's not related to Galaxy 1's ending

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Apparently there was supposed to be a deeper story, but Shigeru Miyamoto vetoed it out, mainly to focus more on the gameplay.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
At what point does Mario split the timeline and also where does Mario Galaxy 2 fall?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mogambo posted:

At what point does Mario split the timeline and also where does Mario Galaxy 2 fall?

After Hotel Mario.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher

Zuzie posted:

Apparently there was supposed to be a deeper story, but Shigeru Miyamoto vetoed it out, mainly to focus more on the gameplay.

Yeah, I heard that, too. First this, then the new Paper Mario, I just ugh. The dude is a genius in the gameplay department, but it really shows his age when he is so... adamant against having a half decent story now and then (outside of Zelda and Metroid).

It'll be sad when he steps down, but I will also be happy to see what the younger faces will do with the franchises he started.

EDIT:

quote:

Mario Galaxy 1 reset the universe, Mario doesn't recognise a Luma because this is his first time meeting one again.

I... dunno if I buy that, considering you still met Lumas in that remade galaxy. I think. It has been a while.

Videotendo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 4, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Vidyatendo posted:

Yeah, I heard that, too. First this, then the new Paper Mario, I just ugh. The dude is a genius in the gameplay department, but it really shows his age when he is so... adamant against having a half decent story now and then (outside of Zelda and Metroid).

It'll be sad when he steps down, but I will also be happy to see what the younger faces will do with the franchises he started.

To be fair, there's a rather substantial difference between saying Paper Mario doesn't need so much of a plot and saying Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't need much of a plot.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 4, 2012

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher

Artix74 posted:

To be fair, there's a huge difference between saying Paper Mario doesn't need so much of a plot and saying Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't need much of a plot.

Yeah, true. Still, while the story wasn't great, it still made for a nice set piece, at least for me. It helped the atmosphere. Mario Galaxy 2 just sorta farts you out into the world and that was really jarring to me. Some would call it cutting the bullshit, but to me, it just sorta cements the very "Level Pack" feel this game has.

Again, I don't hate this game, it just annoys me and I can't shake the feeling no matter how much I try. Maybe watching it some will make me appreciate it more, which is why I'm glad to see this LP. We'll see.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
One of the core aspects of 3D Mario games is that the levels can be replayed whenever the gently caress you want. Any kind of story that's more than a simple premise isn't really conducive to that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Toffile posted:

Really this is all explained in the Nintendo Power comic "Crisis on Infinite Marios".

I think what you meant to say was "Crisis in Infinite Galaxies" :haw:

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Why does everyone hate on the Spring powerup? Am I crazy and the only person in the world who enjoys it?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JordanKai posted:

I think what you meant to say was "Crisis in Infinite Galaxies" :haw:

We're merely visiting former Faceships of that Galaxy's Mario.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Toad King posted:

Why does everyone hate on the Spring powerup? Am I crazy and the only person in the world who enjoys it?

Probably.

tentril
May 9, 2012

Toad King posted:

I thought it was fun, but terrible to control. I never had too much trouble with it, and it was used sparingly enough that it stayed goofy fun.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
Honestly, my favorite part of the game was just exploring around and investigating every nook and cranny the game could possibly have. I always assumed that things would be hidden in way more difficult to access places than they tended to be. It served me well to get to know all the details of the galaxies, however.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Vidyatendo posted:

Yeah, true. Still, while the story wasn't great, it still made for a nice set piece, at least for me. It helped the atmosphere. Mario Galaxy 2 just sorta farts you out into the world and that was really jarring to me. Some would call it cutting the bullshit, but to me, it just sorta cements the very "Level Pack" feel this game has.

It should be noted that the story of the original Galaxy wasn't Miyamoto's idea either. It was done by another guy on the team, acting more or less alone who wrote out that entire backstory thing himself and brought it to Miyamoto. Miyamoto basically just said "O...kay, sure. We'll put your little...weirdly-dark storybook thing in our game. Why not?"

Then the universe collapsed and turned into a baby.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rocketlex posted:

It should be noted that the story of the original Galaxy wasn't Miyamoto's idea either. It was done by another guy on the team, acting more or less alone who wrote out that entire backstory thing himself and brought it to Miyamoto. Miyamoto basically just said "O...kay, sure. We'll put your little...weirdly-dark storybook thing in our game. Why not?"

Then the universe collapsed and turned into a baby.

I heard that Miyamoto was against it, but Koizumi slipped it in anyway, but that could just be a myth.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
It's one thing to slip in a hidden room in an old metroid/zelda game, it's another to "slip in" an entire plot-line.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
I figured Mario just learned some of the reincarnation tricks from Link and Zelda, and this just takes place with a different generation of characters.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think the Spring powerup is fun because of its terrible controls. It's like trying to ride a drunk, highly elastic bull or something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gensuki posted:

It's one thing to slip in a hidden room in an old metroid/zelda game, it's another to "slip in" an entire plot-line.

It's amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Given some of the other poo poo people have been backed up in saying they "slipped by" management or their bosses in Japanese development (see: "Oops well we already made a good chunk of Dead Rising, now you HAVE to green-light it" and other such stories... mostly Capcom, now that I think about it), I can totally believe that got put in quickly or quietly.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Y'know, given how much people ribbed on Sonic Colours for "borrowing" ideas from Mario Galaxy 1 and the Mario games generally, it's kind of amusing to see a Drill powerup in this game ;)

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I guess it's weird of me in a way, but I really enjoy having good stories set in the Mario universe.

It's a world where mushrooms are people and flowers from blocks make you throw fireballs. A world where a turtle dragon riding a clown-faced propeller cup pits an army of tortoise warriors in eternal war against a nation of toadstools because he's infatuated with a pink princess. Where bombs can talk and lead happy lives when they're not busy blowing up. Where dinosaurs eat mask-wearing elves and pop them out as eggs. Where the greatest hero of all is a short rotund plumber (well, second greatest after Luigi.)

It's a universe in which you just know outer space has to be some kind of seriously crazy, (Dare I say Magical?) poo poo.

It's a world so strange and wondrous I just can't wait to find out what kind of stories can materialize with the quarter turn it gives on all of reality.

It's like the crazy land of Oo in Adventure Time, the possibilities are endless and the results have potential to be classic.

Frankly, it's why Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games of all time.

And it's why I say 'gently caress it!' to the idea that story is unwarranted in Mario games.

---

... if you'll excuse me for being a bit shmaltzy back there.

Yeah, it bugged me that no one in the game seemed to notice they were living through the same exact plot too.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 4, 2012

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Drakli posted:

It's a world so strange and wondrous I just can't wait to find out what kind of stories can materialize with the quarter turn it gives on all of reality.

Look at the original Mario RPG. On top of the Mario staples we got a talking cloud raised by frogs, who was actually a prince of the cloud-people. His usurper was a busty woman with a bird on her head who smoked a cigarette (in a Nintendo game), and when we played the game nobody batted an eye. Not to mention the Axem Rangers. It was weird, but it was a flavor of weird that somehow managed to fit with established Mario weirdness.

Galaxy and Galaxy 2 do get some of that, but it's in bit characters and world weirdness rather than a storyline. Well, Galaxy had some universe-building (if you'll pardon the expression) with the lumas and Rosalyn, but mostly it's just machine-people, toy galaxies, and stuff from Galaxy 2 I don't wanna spoil.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Paul.Power posted:

Y'know, given how much people ribbed on Sonic Colours for "borrowing" ideas from Mario Galaxy 1 and the Mario games generally, it's kind of amusing to see a Drill powerup in this game ;)

Mario Galaxy 2 came out half a year before Sonic Colors.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think the Spring powerup is fun because of its terrible controls. It's like trying to ride a drunk, highly elastic bull or something.

I liked the blue shell in New Mario Bros and such, but the spring is too.. Slow, I think. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I didn't like it myself because it felt like it took forever compared to the faster gimmick power ups.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Mario Galaxy 2 came out half a year before Sonic Colors.
Huh. Time flies, I guess.

Oh well, at least you can steer it in Colours.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher

Drakli posted:

I guess it's weird of me in a way, but I really enjoy having good stories set in the Mario universe.

It's a world where mushrooms are people and flowers from blocks make you throw fireballs. A world where a turtle dragon riding a clown-faced propeller cup pits an army of tortoise warriors in eternal war against a nation of toadstools because he's infatuated with a pink princess. Where bombs can talk and lead happy lives when they're not busy blowing up. Where dinosaurs eat mask-wearing elves and pop them out as eggs. Where the greatest hero of all is a short rotund plumber (well, second greatest after Luigi.)

It's a universe in which you just know outer space has to be some kind of seriously crazy, (Dare I say Magical?) poo poo.

It's like the crazy land of Oo in Adventure Time, the possibilities are endless and the results have potential to be classic.

Frankly, it's why Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games of all time.

And it's why I say 'gently caress it!' to the idea that story is unwarranted in Mario games.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about it. One of the neatest things is the idea that not every single "baddie" species like Goombas and Koopas aren't all out for Mario's blood. I also love it when they paint Bowser less as an evil overlord and more a rich, egotistical tough guy who just does not understand that Peach is NOT into him.

While I admit that I'm not usually playing a Mario game for the plot (unless it is one of the RPGs), I do like them exploring this very diverse universe they created. I'm not asking for fine art in the platformers, just something a bit more than "Peach is kidnapped, collect poo poo" would be nice.

EDIT:
Hell, just changing the main baddie would be nice, and maybe have a weird temporary truce going on between Bowser and Mario, have some neat, unique co-op going on. I dunno.

Videotendo fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 4, 2012

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Vidyatendo posted:

EDIT:
Hell, just changing the main baddie would be nice, and maybe have a weird temporary truce going on between Bowser and Mario, have some neat, unique co-op going on. I dunno.

Good Sir have you dared to inquire as to the nature of Super Paper Mario?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neruz posted:

Good Sir have you dared to inquire as to the nature of Super Paper Mario?

Or the Mario & Luigi games (SSS definitely, BIS indirectly I don't know about PIT though, never played it), or Super Mario RPG?
Also, let's throw in the Mario Sport games for good measure.

Come to think of it, most of the Mario-RPGs have Bowser teaming up with Mario. I guess he seems like an obvious choice as a party member. Definitely better than Yellow Toad and Blue Toad, though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
New Super Mario Brothers Wii would be hilarious if one of the players was a big fat slow bowser that can't jump for poo poo but damages enemies by running into them and breathes fire.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

It would be enhanced by an announcer (Luigi, possibly?) yelling "DRILLLL!" every time you pick it up.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ Reminds me of the voices in Superstar Saga.

Neruz posted:

New Super Mario Brothers Wii would be hilarious if one of the players was a big fat slow bowser that can't jump for poo poo but damages enemies by running into them and breathes fire.

Every time there's a jump impossible for Bowser to cross you try to go into a bubble to skip it, but the spikes keep popping it. The true Kaizo challenge begins here.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Gaz-L posted:

It would be enhanced by an announcer (Luigi, possibly?) yelling "DRILLLL!" every time you pick it up.
RRRROCKET!

Okay seriously Sonic Colors I now realise was an awesome game thanks entirely to Pokecapn. There's ripping off something badly and then there's being inspired to make a pretty good game.

Anyways, can't wait for the next world Betus!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Not a huge Colors fan, but I don't understand the idea that it ripped off Galaxy. Sonic had space levels and gravity gimmicks way before Mario Galaxy came out.

tentril
May 9, 2012
Along with the art direction, the space setting seems very inspired by the Galaxy games. To say it's a ripoff is a bit ridiculous, because they hardly do any of the same things with the ideas. The space levels in Sonic Adventure 2 did all that stuff anyway.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

tentril posted:

Along with the art direction, the space setting seems very inspired by the Galaxy games. To say it's a ripoff is a bit ridiculous, because they hardly do any of the same things with the ideas. The space levels in Sonic Adventure 2 did all that stuff anyway.

To add to that; the reversing gravity in the 2D sections of Colors, while similar to the ones in Galaxy 2... are also in Sonic & Knuckles.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Vidyatendo posted:

I found having cutscenes more than 10 seconds long break up my gameplay annoying, because I find it utterly impossible to take a story seriously in mario (if it was written like a comedy I might have, but it was a little too serious for a universe involving force-fed starpeople). Stuff like the storybook which was optional I was a-ok with though.

And I will weep when Miyamoto steps down. WEEP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A jargogle posted:

I found having cutscenes more than 10 seconds long break up my gameplay annoying, because I find it utterly impossible to take a story seriously in mario (if it was written like a comedy I might have, but it was a little too serious for a universe involving force-fed starpeople). Stuff like the storybook which was optional I was a-ok with though.

And I will weep when Miyamoto steps down. WEEP.

Have you played Paper Mario?

• Locked thread