Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
old: check out new roster here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=410446788

Last Roster Update:

+ whoever the hell I'm bringing up (like Ted Simmons)

Subtractions:
'70 Lou Brock
'10 David Aardsma
'98 Bill Spiers
'70 Mike Torres
'70 Reggie Cleveland
'64 Fred Newman
'70 Jose Cruz
'64 Joe Adcock
------cut from the team for sucking too hard------
'10 Ichiro Suzuki
'10 Brandon League

Additions:
Super League Auction
'06 AJ Burnett
'09 Jason Motte
'54 Larry Doby
'96 Matt Williams
Super League Draft
'01 Alex Rodriguez
----whoever I draft in the second round----
Promotion
'70 Ted Simmons
'70 Jose Cardenal
(other people I'm sure)

CraigK fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

New page!
Here's the draft order and pool.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkF311T6qtJidFJyZDFJNGpjRFllVG80MzFmTWJGQVE#gid=0

ManifunkDestiny is on the clock for the next 5+ hours.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
And the draft was going so fast too...

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Super League VIII Roster Post:

Lineup:
1915 Tris Speaker, CF
1911 Home Run Baker, 3B
2011 Miguel Cabrera, 1B
1929 Paul Waner, RF
1918 Rogers Hornsby, 2B
1997 Derek Jeter, SS
1951 Yogi Berra, C (Parrish catches for Perry)
1910 Sam Crawford, LF
Pitcher

Bench:
1984 Lance Parrish, C
1989 George Brett, 1B/DH/3B
1965 Jimmie Hall, OF
1970 Jim Fregosi, SS
1965 Tony Oliva, OF
1929 Pie Traynor, 3B

Rotation
1958 Whitey Ford
1965 Jim Kaat
2009 Cliff Lee
2011 Doug Fister
1965 Jim Perry

Bullpen:
CL 1989 Dennis Eckersley
1994 John Wetteland
2003 Jose Valverde
1965 Al Worthington
1997 Eddie Guardado
1929 Burleigh Grimes

Minors:
1918 Red Ames
1968 Bill Freehan
1965 Don Mincher
1997 Rick Aguilera
1965 Bill Pleis
1931 Tommy Bridges
1978 Dave Parker

In DH games, use Brett at DH and bat him 8th (Crawford 9th)

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

I'm about to fall asleep and I don't think I'll be able to have access to a computer for the next twelve hours, so I'm just going to do my next draft pick now.

If Manifunk doesn't choose him or does not draft in time, my first choice is '91 Cal Ripken Jr. If he picks Ripken, my second choice is '85 Paul Molitor.

now to go to sleep

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
If ManifunkDestiny doesn't post in time, his pick will be '53 Whitey Ford.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Manifunk timed out, so since he wanted a SP in his Draft preferences I guess he gets Smasher's choice of Whitey Ford '51 until he comes back and either confirms the pick or chooses somoene else.

Pungry wanted Cal Ripken '91, and he gets him.

Monicro, you're on the clock.

come on, get to my pick

CraigK fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 5, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
So is there literally no grace period for sleeping, because that's pretty poo poo.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Mornacale posted:

So is there literally no grace period for sleeping, because that's pretty poo poo.

Even I don't sleep twelve hours a day; looks like the last pick was 3:19 PM.

I guess we can do like the NFL Draft does and he's welcome to take someone that's not drafted when he gets back, but everyone ahead of him gets to draft.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yay I get to pick before I go to bed after all :toot:

'02 Addie Joss

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
EDIT: Nevermind

I was being an rear end.

Shadow gamer fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 5, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I want to trade up my third round pick for one of the next five picks. I'm willing to add in some starting pitching along with the third round pick if any of the other expansion owners are interested.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
^^^^^^

Who are your starting pitchers?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Right now I've got:

1919 Hippo Vaughn
2005 Roger Clemens
1919 Pete Alexander
2005 Roy Oswalt
2011 Jon Lester
2005 Andy Pettitte
2011 Josh Beckett
1919 Phil Douglas
1978 John Candelaria

I'd rather not move Vaughn, Alexander, Clemens, or Oswalt, but I could if I like the deal. Make me an offer if you think any of the other guys would help you out.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
Ok. Let's do this thing.

:siren: Trade proposal :siren:

The Cuba Smokers receive 2005 Andy Pettitte and the Failures third round pick

The Philadelphia Failures receive the Smokers second round pick

If that clears it has been a pleasure working with you, mentholmoose.

Shadow gamer fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 5, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow gamer posted:

Ok. Let's do this thing.

:siren: Trade proposal :siren:

The Cuba Smokers receive 2005 Andy Pettitte and the Failures third round pick

The Philadelphia Failures receive the Smokers second round pick

If that clear it has been a pleasure working with you, mentholmoose.

I accept this trade. Pleasure doing business with you. :)

I edited the spreadsheet also.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Well that's certainly a trade. :confused:

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
...I know all us new guys are boring.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Hey guys just got up and going let me look at the list and

CraigK posted:

Manifunk timed out, so since he wanted a SP in his Draft preferences I guess he gets Smasher's choice of Whitey Ford '51 until he comes back and either confirms the pick or chooses somoene else.

....oh

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Hey guys just got up and going let me look at the list and

....oh

Well, you can still pick somebody else if you don't want Ford...

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

If Manifunk Destiny accepts his fate, with the 22nd pick of the draft, the Arguments select '34 Gabby Hartnett

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

The Failures select, with the 23rd pick, 1962 Willie McCovey, and with the 24th pick, 1985 Paul Molitor.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Let's see how high a draft pick I can get for '98 Craig Biggio

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

tatankatonk posted:

Well, you can still pick somebody else if you don't want Ford...

I'LL TAKE HIM I'LL TAKE HIM I'LL TAKE HIM

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

TKBomber7285 posted:

Just to have a start to our negotiations, I will make the following offer

Bulldogs give
Mark McGwire
Ellis Burks

Bloggers give
George Grantham
Norm Cash
Bloggers' 2nd round Expansion Draft pick

Sorry, between here and IRC I got my wires crossed and forgot to actually reply. Ellis Burks would be my 5th OF at best, so I'm not interested in him. Pull out him and my pick and you've got a deal.

:siren: Incidentally, to anyone else, I am also open to trades from you! I'm looking for infield upgrades and pitching, or of course better/more draft picks. My main trade pieces are catchers, relievers, and MIF & SP depth. Plus of course the current starter at any position you give me an upgrade. Please see my roster and feeders (1932 Reds, 1964 Orioles, 1968 Tigers, 1990 Twins, 2004 Pirates) for reference, plus the following acquisitions: 1911 Larry Gardner, 1934 Odell Hale, 1910 Jim Delahanty, 2001 Andruw Jones, 2001 John Rocker, 1986 Jesse Orosco.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

With the 28th pick in the draft, the San Juan Elephants select RF Al Kaline, 1958.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Mornacale posted:

Sorry, between here and IRC I got my wires crossed and forgot to actually reply. Ellis Burks would be my 5th OF at best, so I'm not interested in him. Pull out him and my pick and you've got a deal.

:siren: Incidentally, to anyone else, I am also open to trades from you! I'm looking for infield upgrades and pitching, or of course better/more draft picks. My main trade pieces are catchers, relievers, and MIF & SP depth. Plus of course the current starter at any position you give me an upgrade. Please see my roster and feeders (1932 Reds, 1964 Orioles, 1968 Tigers, 1990 Twins, 2004 Pirates) for reference, plus the following acquisitions: 1911 Larry Gardner, 1934 Odell Hale, 1910 Jim Delahanty, 2001 Andruw Jones, 2001 John Rocker, 1986 Jesse Orosco.

If we can swap out Norm Cash for your second-round pick we have a deal. Otherwise, I'll try my luck elsewhere.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Mornacale, don't sell your second round pick for Norm Cash. Don't do it!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TKBomber7285 posted:

If we can swap out Norm Cash for your second-round pick we have a deal. Otherwise, I'll try my luck elsewhere.

You realize that he could draft Mark McGwire with that 2nd round pick, right?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Oneida selects 2010 Josh Hamilton.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Norm Cash, while a respectable bat, is still just yet another 1B. I can offer you the Dervishes' 1975 Carlton Fisk for that pick, and perhaps a small additional consideration, say, 1964 Dick Hall, a middling reliever. Carlton Fisk is an elite catcher just entering his physical prime, with respectable defense and a good chance at being a good bat in the Super League. Ernie Lombardi, on the other hand, will probably hit for average but will be a defensive nightmare. And Fisk will hit a respectable number of dingers regardless. So, 1975 C Cartlon Fisk for the Bloggers' 33rd pick in the draft and 1964 RHP Dick Hall. Willing to negotiate. Just putting that out there.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

UZworm posted:

Oneida selects 2010 Josh Hamilton.

Pansy rear end me-first player who will hurt your team by attempting to quit an addictive substance

0/10

-Nolan Ryan

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

CraigK posted:

Pansy rear end me-first player who will hurt your team by attempting to quit an addictive substance

0/10

-Nolan Ryan

I think having Bobby Veach as my starting LF was driving everyone else on my player to start using cocaine to dull the pain, so he's a perfect fit :colbert:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

CraigK posted:

0/10

-Nolan Ryan

Mogul doesn't model a man's belief that chewing tobacco is an affront to Jesus.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers Trade Block

We're looking to swap a backup catcher for a backup outfielder.

We have a reliable if young backup catcher available, 1946 Sherm Lollar. While Lollar was just 21 in 1946, he was already a solid defender.

For his career, he won three Gold Gloves. TZR rates him as the 33rd best defensive catcher of all time. As for his bat, he peaked at 22 home runs in a season, had a career OBP of .357, and had an OPS+ of 104. He's not going to be a star in the Super League, but he's a solid backup.

I'm looking for a backup outfielder in return. Don't need a superstar, just someone with some pop who won't kill me in case of injuries. I'd also take a draft pick.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

TKBomber7285 posted:

As mks pointed out, I wouldn't trade my 2nd-round pick for McGwire straight up. I'm willing to throw in more players, or discuss a deal for Howard if he can play 1B (though his low rating and sub-.300 OBP in SL7 concern me quite a bit). Preferably the former. If you want my pick, you're going to have to offer more.

Beet posted:

Norm Cash, while a respectable bat, is still just yet another 1B. I can offer you the Dervishes' 1975 Carlton Fisk for that pick, and perhaps a small additional consideration, say, 1964 Dick Hall, a middling reliever. Carlton Fisk is an elite catcher just entering his physical prime, with respectable defense and a good chance at being a good bat in the Super League. Ernie Lombardi, on the other hand, will probably hit for average but will be a defensive nightmare. And Fisk will hit a respectable number of dingers regardless. So, 1975 C Cartlon Fisk for the Bloggers' 33rd pick in the draft and 1964 RHP Dick Hall. Willing to negotiate. Just putting that out there.

You might be confused; I'm the one who is offering Norm Cash, TK is just trying (and failing) to convince me to give him a pick instead. (I clarify this mostly so nobody thinks I'm the kind of chump who's considering giving up my 2nd-round pick for Norm Cash.)

As for your offer, I agree that Mr. Fisk is a better catcher than Lombardi, but in general I'm fairly happy with Ernie and I'm trying to trade away a C as it is. I'm fairly confident that I can find a bigger upgrade at another position with the pick.

But if you can find someone who wants my Ernie Lombardi and can help me fill my IF/P needs, I could get behind a 3-way deal.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 6, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Looking to trade '98 Biggio and '70 Ted Simmons and possibly '64 Dean Chance for as high a pick as possible.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
1910 Shoeless Joe Jackson (.387/.446/.587, 221 OPS+ that year, career .356/.423/.517, 169 OPS+) is up for sale!

As is 2011 Chase Utley!

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 6, 2012

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
CraigK,
I would be willing to trade my third round pick (#39)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Mashers Draft '97 Walker