Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So what exactly is the point to keeping a weapon 'normal'? It seems like any other upgrade at all would be better, even crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

When you have a Chaos type weapon - does the humanity you have increase the fire damage only or the base damage also?

I was screwing around farming some rats up for the Chaos Servant lady and noticed that my Chaos Longsword (+0) was outdamaging my Longsword+15... Now I see why people like that Queelag's Sword so much.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
^^^ I think it's the fire damage.

pentyne posted:

So what exactly is the point to keeping a weapon 'normal'? It seems like any other upgrade at all would be better, even crystal.

Single-typing its damage, so its damage doesn't effectively get resisted twice by splitting damage between two types (which is the case with every upgrade path save Raw, which is bad, and Crystal, which is blurse.)

Crystal does solid damage but can't be repaired. So, eventually, inevitably, you'll lose that crystal halberd because it will eventually, inevitably, break.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VodeAndreas posted:

When you have a Chaos type weapon - does the humanity you have increase the fire damage only or the base damage also?

I was screwing around farming some rats up for the Chaos Servant lady and noticed that my Chaos Longsword (+0) was outdamaging my Longsword+15... Now I see why people like that Queelag's Sword so much.

There's a simple metric for whether or not you want to go regular +15 or Lightning/Chaos.

Do you have a high amount of whatever stat the weapon scales with? Say, at least 30?

If yes, go with regular +15.

If not, go Lightning/Chaos. There's little functional difference between the two, though lightning is much more rarely resisted.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I turned off the frame limiter but now I get horrific screen tearing indoors, even when I try to force vsync in the catalyst control center :(

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
After finally beating Ornstein and Smough following way to many failed attempts, Sif was a welcome respite and a hell of a lot easier to deal with, at least until I got him down to the point where he was limping.
First time I've actually been sad about beating a boss in this game :smith:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Rabidsamba posted:

First time I've actually been sad about beating a boss in this game :smith:

One would almost think you've done the DLC.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I had to summon someone to help me with O&S, and after all that, he killed the fatty first so I couldn't get the big smash :negative:

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I turned off the frame limiter but now I get horrific screen tearing indoors, even when I try to force vsync in the catalyst control center :(

Any problems with other games? Video card could be dying, maybe cut back on the bitcoin farming. I'd try some different games. If you've changed nothing it'll give you a place to start.

thehandtruck posted:

Can you Undead Rapport an Undead Dragon?

Also thought you guys might find this funny: http://bitmob.com/articles/leaving-lordran-why-im-done-with-dark-souls

How bad is this guy? I can type "dark souls walk through" into youtube and come up with dozens of guides for every aspect of the game. Thousands of hours of recorded streamed video on Twitch alone. Two wikis packed full of information. gently caress, I think a dev interview implied that they didn't intend for everyone to big balls through the game entirely by themselves with zero outside influence, it was intended that a community spring up and help out.

The best way to play the game is with some one who already knows every in and out watching over your shoulder with some hints and pointers. Maybe hop in for a summon and explain something you brick wall on. In my opinion anyway. Little of the experience is lost, and reliving the satisfaction of accomplishing something even vicariously is still incredibly rewarding. Also entertaining as gently caress. Watching some one panic and fatroll off a ledge because some lovely monster started throwing its weight around never gets old.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Harrower posted:

How bad is this guy? I can type "dark souls walk through" into youtube and come up with dozens of guides for every aspect of the game. Thousands of hours of recorded streamed video on Twitch alone. Two wikis packed full of information. gently caress, I think a dev interview implied that they didn't intend for everyone to big balls through the game entirely by themselves with zero outside influence, it was intended that a community spring up and help out.

He wrote that two weeks after the game came out.

Honeyboy Bradley
Apr 3, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The game is more fun if you have a massive pair of balls and fear no death or consequences. Also if you think about things before you try them. I died probably close to 2k times my first playthrough, but my biggest regret is summoning someone for the gargoyles. You only truly lose if you're not having fun.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Honeyboy Bradley posted:

The game is more fun if you have a massive pair of balls and fear no death or consequences. Also if you think about things before you try them. I died probably close to 2k times my first playthrough, but my biggest regret is summoning someone for the gargoyles. You only truly lose if you're not having fun.

In a word: Man mode.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm just wondering if it's serious, how did he die so much to random enemies? He got past the mecha boar but he can't figure out "to kill the knights, block an attack and then land your own"? And how did he not find Andre and think of upgrading a weapon? His pro has heck strategy guide really should have mentioned that...

Aug 24, 2011

I decided to PvP in the forest. Kind of.

Two of them have been searching for 15 minutes now :laugh:

e: broken image? I dunno.

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 5, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Don't underestimate how stupid some people can be. He probably thought he could just charge headlong over and over again and it would work eventually, or hold his shield up until he lost all his stamina.

If Mab was proof of anything, it's that no matter how stupidly thickskulled you are, you can eventually get through anything and everything if you just try it enough, until he found out (Actually I'm pretty sure we told him to as some kind of sick twisted mercy) that nude two-handing with reckless abandon worked best for him. That reviewer obviously didn't try it enough.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I started a new character because I have a short attention span and I like wrecking the beginning of the game. Both the Black Knight Sword and Black Knight Greatsword dropped for me for the first times ever. Good thing I'm unoriginal and always play Str builds! :toot:

I really don't want to spend my Twinkling Titanite upgrading them, though. Saving them and souls for my armor once I get Gough's set. How upgraded would my Zweihander have to be before it does more damage than the BKGreatsword? Kind of hard to tell with scaling-- C/D Str/Dex on the Zwei and B/E on the Greatsword.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think it'll ever do more raw damage, but the moveset is better all around.

Versatile, I mean.

That golfswing is better than any other move in the game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

I started a new character because I have a short attention span and I like wrecking the beginning of the game. Both the Black Knight Sword and Black Knight Greatsword dropped for me for the first times ever. Good thing I'm unoriginal and always play Str builds! :toot:

I really don't want to spend my Twinkling Titanite upgrading them, though. Saving them and souls for my armor once I get Gough's set. How upgraded would my Zweihander have to be before it does more damage than the BKGreatsword? Kind of hard to tell with scaling-- C/D Str/Dex on the Zwei and B/E on the Greatsword.

By the time you're able to one-hand the BKGS, the Zweihaender will be doing only 19 less damage, and is much more enchantable.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

doomfunk posted:

Crystal does solid damage but can't be repaired. So, eventually, inevitably, you'll lose that crystal halberd because it will eventually, inevitably, break.

Crystal is bad for weapons, but it rules for shields. A basic kite shield from Andre has 72 stability once you crystalize it. When it gets worn down, just upgrade it, and suddenly it has full durability again.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I might be able to use grant on my current build. Is it actually a good weapon if you've got the stats for it? I'll be at 30 faith(I don't see much reason going any higher now that I have sunlight blade, the Best Buff) and either 38 or 50 str if I want to try it out.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

muike posted:

I might be able to use grant on my current build. Is it actually a good weapon if you've got the stats for it? I'll be at 30 faith(I don't see much reason going any higher now that I have sunlight blade, the Best Buff) and either 38 or 50 str if I want to try it out.

It has all the smashy goodness of great hammers with a wotg dispenser built in.

Aug 24, 2011

Honestly, I stand by the Black Knight Halberd. You only get one chance at it in a given run (until you reach Gwyn, at which point you've proven you don't need my advice). Definitely visit Sen's and get the gold serpent ring before going into the basin to fight that halberd knight.

Oh poo poo, he's on to me!

uh oh

I'm the only bush on this side of the forest. I hope he doesn't realise.

success

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

muike posted:

The R1s are no different from any other large hammer weapon, but the R2 is where it's at.

Free WotG. Absolutely great for invasions, whether it be you or them invading. Moreso for when you get invaded, since you can just hide behind a corner and then before they know it SHHBOOM and they take like 700-1000hp damage.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

By the time you're able to one-hand the BKGS, the Zweihaender will be doing only 19 less damage, and is much more enchantable.
Ah, well, I only plan on going up to 27 Str for the time being. With my short attention span I really only get about 60-70 levels out of a character and I'm planning a horrible Gough build with the dragon fist and his greatbow. Guess I can safely stick with the Greatsword at least to Anor Londo.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

Ah, well, I only plan on going up to 27 Str for the time being. With my short attention span I really only get about 60-70 levels out of a character and I'm planning a horrible Gough build with the dragon fist and his greatbow. Guess I can safely stick with the Greatsword at least to Anor Londo.

With 27str and 18dex, 2handing, you only lose 30 AR when switching to a Zwei if you take it to +15.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just discovered Super Smough. typical :darksouls:, I have found. 2 bosses at once? Nah, here's a third.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Harrower posted:

Any problems with other games? Video card could be dying, maybe cut back on the bitcoin farming. I'd try some different games. If you've changed nothing it'll give you a place to start.

Nah, no issues in other games. I didn't realize screen tearing could happen with a dying video card. I was able to fix it by playing in borderless windowed mode. It was also only happening indoors in places like the Burg so I'm thinking it was legit screen tearing from having too high of a framerate and my video card's vsync just wasn't working for some reason.

Worst part about SL1 so far is how long bosses take to die. The Stray Demon took approx. 2 1/2 hours per attempt(or at least it felt that way), and it actually took 2 real attempts after I figured out how to not die immediately because I had gotten him to 1/5 health and hosed up, causing me to die.

Btw, as I said, it happened after I turned off the fps limiter.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 5, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I got invaded for the first time today, twice. The first guy I kinda steamrolled, but the second looked like he was wearing the Thorns set and just rolled around endlessly and was generally impossible to get a hit on until he backstabbed me a couple times.

Also I'm kinda sad that Havel's helm is much better in almost every way than my slightly upgraded Fang Boar helm, including being lighter. I'm going to miss that thing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Wearing armor for any reason other than looks and possibly poise sometimes is doing it wrong.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

Wearing armor for any reason other than looks and possibly poise sometimes is doing it wrong.

Exactly. Wearing a helmet other than the dusk crown, fang boar helm, or sack :psyduck:

Mask of the child/father is also acceptable.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 5, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shima Honnou posted:

But my blue numbers! :qq:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Exactly. Wearing a helmet other than the dusk crown, fang boar helm, or sack :psyduck:

Mask of the child/father is also acceptable.

Ahem. The Xanthous Crown, Big Hat, and Snickering Top Hat would like a word with you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The top hat can gently caress right off.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The top hat can gently caress right off.

Can't you edit out the mask part?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

<----- still the best headgear :colbert:

(symbol of avarice is cool too)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I do fondly look back on my own what-the-gently caress reaction to the first time someone came at me with a dragon head. :allears:

If the Symbol of Avarice didn't drain health, it would be the only helmet anyone would wear to PvP.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Maxwell Adams posted:

Co-op invasion: the dream is real!

I found Cheat Engine table created by DGreyed, the same guy who likes to run around with hacked weapons that turn people into dragonbros. You can do a lot of terrible things with that information, but you can also use it for co-op invasion. This is a cut down version of that cheat table that only has the things you need for co-op invasion. You just load the table into Cheat Engine, toggle a couple things, set a thing to -1, and then invade.

I dropped in on someone working on the Duke's archives. He was fighting crystal golems outside when I found him, and I introduced myself by setting off a blast of Fire Tempest that killed two of the things. Then I led him into the caves, showing him where items were, watching him freak out when he had to cross those gaps. It was adorable. Then I chopped off Seath's tail for him and pretty much solo'd the boss while he hid behind me.

Nothing against you, but I really REALLY hope the next Souls game, if it comes out on PC, ships with Steam VAC or something. There are some really lovely people doing really horrible things with cheat engine that go beyond just invading with infinite health. I've run into a guy that invades as a co-op summon, then one-shots me with an uchi that instantly curses through shields. I've run into another guy that summoned me as an invader into his game when I had my co-op sign down, then proceeded to fight me with infinite health. I had him do that three times before I really had no choice but to stop trying to sunbro that day.

I know GFWL isn't going to bother banning all the folks cheating, but that's pretty loving ridiculous. At least with something competent like VAC that can't stop all cheaters, it allows them to ban players at the Steam account-level from all other VAC-protected games. GFWL has no real protection and absolutely zero repercussions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't want to say "it's all in good fun" because cursing is pretty annoying, but getting upset enough to want people to be banned is kind of overreacting. If anything it's a minor inconvenience at best? It isn't really in the "spirit of the game" to hack in stuff that can instantly kill you with scripts or whatever, but it's a game that is on PC, what do you expect? You can't go into it thinking everyone is going to fight fair in a game where invading the worlds of other real live players and murdering them can be lucrative.

EDIT: Before I am responded to with the fact that you can get hacked to where invaders can do stuff kill your NPCs, yes, I know that already. Good luck finding someone else who knows you can do that except DGrayed himself and some people that messed around with his cheat engine a whole bunch (and also being invaded in an area where they can actively get to an NPC without a fog wall, of which there are few).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 5, 2012

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

EDIT: Before I am responded to with the fact that you can get hacked to where invaders can do stuff kill your NPCs, yes, I know that already. Good luck finding someone else who knows you can do that except DGrayed himself and some people that messed around with his cheat engine a whole bunch (and also being invaded in an area where they can actively get to an NPC without a fog wall, of which there are few).

Uh, I can do it. It's extremely easy to do, and has nothing to do with Dgrayedd's cheat table. All his does is not let the host stop you by going through the boss door.

I am looking at a hack right in my edited table file that lets me fly through all of the level geometry, including fog doors. If I wanted to do this, all I have to do is invade someone regularly, switch my phantom type to one that can target their NPCs, and fly through the walls. They better hope they can get to the fog door before I get to the NPC I want dead.

Luckily I only use it to quickly get to designated sunbro areas, huh?

The linked cheat file has everything you need and more, so his anger is justified.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It takes literally 30 minutes to research that from scratch.

Well, ok, not literally perhaps. But it's nowhere near as much effort as you make seem it is.

• Locked thread