Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

drat I guess that ends my run as the only person on earth with a copy of volume 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The site just loaded for me, but there's no new comic. There's probably a technical problem going on which might have reverted the database to the latest backup. Hope no rear end in a top hat tried to hack the site (again).

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Hope no rear end in a top hat tried to hack the site (again).

What happened before?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

"This brings me to something I should have talked to you about sooner...

...Coyote is a HUGE dick."

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 5, 2012

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
So many profiles in this chapter! It's very dramatic.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hmmm, a lot of fairy tales and stories and stuff are told to teach people a lesson. So maybe Coyote, as a character made from stories, still tries to teach people lessons? Although not very good ones.

Of course I don't really know any of his stories so maybe they aren't trying to teach anyone anything at all.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I still can't load the page. I'm sad. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Yonic Symbolism posted:

"What is this now, Jonesy?"

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Look who's about to not be the next Medium.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Is this where Jones pulls off her rubber mask to reveal she's been Coyote all along?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Look who's about to not be the next Medium.

Yeah, this is almost definitely going to be it. Congratulations, Parley!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I almost feel sorry for Annie getting passed over today of all days, but... with any luck, she'll learn that there are consequences to her behaviour. If you disregard authority and break centuries-old treaties because you had a bad afternoon, guess what, you aren't considered trustworthy enough to represent said authority in an official context!!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, at least we can trust Jones to break the bad news to Annie as gently and compassionately as possible.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Freudian posted:

I almost feel sorry for Annie getting passed over today of all days, but... with any luck, she'll learn that there are consequences to her behaviour. If you disregard authority and break centuries-old treaties because you had a bad afternoon, guess what, you aren't considered trustworthy enough to represent said authority in an official context!!

Not to mention when you sorta kinda express some pretty strong sentiment against said authority! (But on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Annie will no doubt remain "useful" to the Court in some capacity, even if she doesn't know she is and assumes (incorrectly) that she can pull off a 'no you shut the gently caress up dad' on the Court...)

EDIT: I wonder what this forebodes for Annie's trips to the Forest and Coyote's relationship to the Court? Are non-mediums (excluding those in training to be one and, apparently, Jones) even allowed to travel into the Forest? I'm pretty sure that even Jimmy Jims has never actually entered the forest except for in the last chapter, and there were extenuating circumstances there. And how will Coyote react? I don't think Coyote has necessarily assumed Annie would be the next medium, but there's nothing in his demeanor suggesting otherwise, and thwarting Coyote's assumptions and plans for the next medium would probably be pretty high on the Court's wishlist.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 5, 2012

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think this necessarily means that Annie is being passed up for medium.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Freudian posted:

But Jones already recommended the next medium before this all happened.

I agree with Fangz that Jones is probably talking about something else here, not to say that I think Annie is a shoe-in for next medium.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
I personally think it'd be a nice curveball if Annie is found unsuitable to be the next medium. Perhaps she has a different, higher calling.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Parley's been training for the job longer and she's generally more mature than Annie. The only real qualifications Annie has is that her mom was the last medium and she's BFFs with the forest people - and that's a mark against her for a job that requires impartiality.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Annie's already found out more about the forest, including Ysengrin's condition, than Parley ever will be able to. Parley's never even, it seems, set foot in the forest. My expectation is that Jones is going to tell Annie she's signed up for special medium training, which will be possibly dangerous, and will keep her from her friends.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Dyllyn posted:

I personally think it'd be a nice curveball if Annie is found unsuitable to be the next medium. Perhaps she has a different, higher calling.

I'm with you on this. Annie seems suited due to her connection with the Forest but she's such a wild card most of the time. It would suck for Parley if her job as medium ended up being a formality.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I like that he's trying new angles, but they always look slightly off. He's come so far though, I appreciate the effort to spice it up.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Mazerunner posted:

Merry Christmas, me!

Merry Christmas you and me, both!

Mazerunner posted:

Hmmm, a lot of fairy tales and stories and stuff are told to teach people a lesson. So maybe Coyote, as a character made from stories, still tries to teach people lessons? Although not very good ones.

Of course I don't really know any of his stories so maybe they aren't trying to teach anyone anything at all.

From Wikipedia's links:

Franchot Ballinger posted:

Also well equipped, the Athapascan Coyote carries his penis flung over his shoulder (Erdoes 71). Even though such a phallus is not explicitly characteristic of all male tricksters, the image has become synecdochic for all tricksters' licentiousness. Males in many cultures keep telling themselves that size is everything, the bigger the better. However, in one Crow trickster story, it's the little things that count--at least temporarily, and we get a wonderfully comic image of the lengths to which Old-Man Coyote will go to have sex with a pretty girl. During a dance, a young woman tells the men to expose their penises because she wants to marry the man with the smallest. Old Man Coyote exchanges penises with mouse. The girl chooses him, of course, but his triumph lasts only until the on-lookers see mouse trying to walk through the encampment dragging Old Man Coyote's huge penis (Lowie, Myths 43).

Jarold Ramsey posted:

In his mixed nature as Trickster/Transformer, Coyote is not a "culture hero." He is, as we say, "all too human" in his foibles. In his comic and mythic modes, as in the well known Nez Perce "Orpheus" story, "Coyote and the Shadow People," he projects the fullest, most compelling image of human nature to be found in the traditional Native story-repertories.

There are plenty more Coyote stories here.

I'm seeing a lot about sexual trickery and how Coyote (the trickster) is often the one who's tricked. There are also cautionary tales like "don't fall asleep with hot pitch on your face," and "don't desert your children, or you'll be called on your shenanigans," or "don't lie or someone will set you on fire."

Which of these stories feed into Gunnerkrigg's interpretation of Coyote is up for critics more awake than I to determine.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

DNA Cowboys posted:

There are also cautionary tales like "don't fall asleep with hot pitch on your face," and "don't desert your children, or you'll be called on your shenanigans," or "don't lie or someone will set you on fire."

Well everyone could learn from these! Pretty interesting thanks, I'll def check them out when I have time.

Although I'd like to change my answer, I guess. I originally thought Jones was going to tell Annie something about Coyote's nature (so Coyote as teacher), but on second thought she's probably talking about the position of Medium (that is, whether Annie would be in a position to receive further lessons).

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Annie seems suited due to her connection with the Forest but she's such a wild card most of the time.

Her mom was the last medium and a fire elemental to boot, so "being a wild card" might not be a thing that disqualifies her. Worst case, they just keep not having a medium for a while longer until Annie starts toeing the line Court-wise.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
It might be better in the long run if Annie gets passed over for Court medium. Being the Court medium would presumably tie up her time working closely with the Court. Having Parley & Smitty be the mediums instead would give her and Kat more time and wiggle room to investigate the Jeanne incident.

Does anyone else feel like the 'crew' has been finally gathered together, and they're about to take the first step toward cracking the Court's secrets? Maybe I've played too many videogames / watch too much TV, but that's what it feels like.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Tupperwarez posted:

It might be better in the long run if Annie gets passed over for Court medium. Being the Court medium would presumably tie up her time working closely with the Court. Having Parley & Smitty be the mediums instead would give her and Kat more time and wiggle room to investigate the Jeanne incident.

Does anyone else feel like the 'crew' has been finally gathered together, and they're about to take the first step toward cracking the Court's secrets? Maybe I've played too many videogames / watch too much TV, but that's what it feels like.

First they have to pose as a team (because poo poo just got real)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

RickoniX posted:

First they have to pose as a team (because poo poo just got real)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqJ1mTkEuY
Please recreate this scene in GC Tom tia

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The TG Mythological Storytime Thread also has a few good Coyote stories, for people who are interested.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

The TG Mythological Storytime Thread also has a few good Coyote stories, for people who are interested.

Oh man, this thread's just awesome in general.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

I really, really wish that I had taken my time reading this! I blasted through it in one go :(

I should have savoured the goodness :ohdear:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Don't worry, Gunnerkrigg Court is often even better rereading it! Tom has a lot of foreshadowing and generally subtle things that aren't quite foreshadowing mixed in for you to spot.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I'd bet that Annie isn't the medium, not because of any forest shenanigans but because Jones knows she's been cheating. Getting into life threatening situations is really just a day in the life if a medium, but cheating is very serious and not something to be rewarded. :colbert:

Seriously though, Annie's school issues is something that's going to bite her eventually, and I swear I remember Jones noticing her cheating when she was pulled out of double physics.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

endolithic posted:

I'd bet that Annie isn't the medium, not because of any forest shenanigans but because Jones knows she's been cheating. Getting into life threatening situations is really just a day in the life if a medium, but cheating is very serious and not something to be rewarded. :colbert:

Seriously though, Annie's school issues is something that's going to bite her eventually, and I swear I remember Jones noticing her cheating when she was pulled out of double physics.

Also relevant to this theory is that Jones gave Annie the mask in Zimmy's vision a couple chapters ago, and then that mask was used to cover up the cheating. There's some sort of connection there.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Annie: secretly crying out in the pain of having her hand crushed by an immortal rock person, but is too British to say anything.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Mort sure is agreeable :3

I really hope she says something about Jeanne, even though Parley told her not to. Though that WOULD be a good excuse to bring up some more Parley.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Both Annie and Jones know that Jones is only mimicking behaviour to convey trust and understanding."

I love the text below the comics.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
"Both Annie and Jones know that Jones is only mimicking behaviour to convey trust and understanding."

Yes Tom, we know. :v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
God, Annies face in the first panel. She seems overly shocked for just being called "unruly" by Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
"Things will be changing for you shortly." Maybe Annie is getting that medium position after all.

Roger Explosion posted:

Yes Tom, we know. :v:

I refuse to believe either Jones or you, Tom! This must be genuine trust and understanding.