Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm 90% sure a QR code for the Nikki Mii was distributed at some point.

Chances are that person's just using it as their profile Mii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
US Sonic patch is up now.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

thefncrow posted:

That hasn't been the case with Microsoft for years.

I can't speak to the troubles you've had, but I've now done several license transfers without needing any intervention from Microsoft.

The one step I see people usually is miss is, after you did the license transfer, did you redownload all the items? You don't have to delete the stuff and redownload every last bit, but you have to initiate a redownload of every item to at least download the new rights portion that gives your new console access to the file.

Oh definitely. I did all that several times. In the end, Microsoft just ended up refunding the points for all the purchases I had made since I purchased the original console since they could not manage to get the licenses working correctly. It may (and I hope it IS) be fixed by now, but when the console used to red ring up a storm, this wasn't an infrequent solution to the license problem.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Edison Carter posted:

Oh definitely. I did all that several times. In the end, Microsoft just ended up refunding the points for all the purchases I had made since I purchased the original console since they could not manage to get the licenses working correctly. It may (and I hope it IS) be fixed by now, but when the console used to red ring up a storm, this wasn't an infrequent solution to the license problem.

Just out of curiousity, when was this? I'm just curious because I've heard of people getting refunded all their spent points before, but those stories were always from before the License Transfer page was set up that let you do it yourself.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

thefncrow posted:

Just out of curiousity, when was this? I'm just curious because I've heard of people getting refunded all their spent points before, but those stories were always from before the License Transfer page was set up that let you do it yourself.

The license transfer page was set up at the time. It was around March of 2010. I remember because I bought the Elite around 2 months before the E3 when the stupid slim was announced.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

thefncrow posted:

That hasn't been the case with Microsoft for years.

If it's not anymore that's great, but I remember going through quite a bit of nonsense just to get my games up and running again back when my 360 broke in 2006/2007.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Edison Carter posted:

It may (and I hope it IS) be fixed by now, but when the console used to red ring up a storm, this wasn't an infrequent solution to the license problem.
That's the thing, really. They seemed to learn from their mistakes and improve the service. It was certainly a lot less painful for me the last time I needed to do it.

I really hoped Ninty would've sorted it out already. You were already able to link your wii purchases to your Club Nintendo account and check your download history online, you just couldn't do anything with it short of calling them begging for help and hoping you caught them on a good day (you could send your system to them, but that wasn't a help if you didn't have it anymore). It was ridiculous then, it seems unbelievable coming into the next gen.

They've been hinting at offering services like this 'in the future', I just hope they follow through and it's sooner rather than later. They've taken huge strides with MiiVerse and the vastly improved eShop, this feels like the last piece of the puzzle they need to sort out.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

greatn posted:

How can that possibly be 593 MB? Do they not know what a Delta update is? Does someone own a patent on it they don't want to pay the license for?

They kind of are deltas. Parts of the system are still separated into titles like they were on the Wii. The day-one update added 10 new titles and changed 24 (previously there were 39 WiiU titles). Today's update changes 22 titles (and adds none). The virtual Wii has its own set - there, the day-one update changed 2 titles and today's only changes one.

It's not more granular than by title I presume for ease of implementation.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008
Having a gaming marathon with the Wii U is a really bad idea. I once thought the 360 controller was the best control pad ever made, but now it's so uncomfortable to hold. I never thought that I'd consider the 360 controller too cramped but there you go.

Honestly, super impressed with the Wii U. The hardware specs do make me a little worried that this console won't be used to its full potential, but with first and second party titles, Nintendo's new stance on independent games and the fact that the fantastic GamePad is Bluetooth and should be able to be hooked up to the PC some day means that this console is a good buy, even at launch price.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Paper_Masochist posted:

Having a gaming marathon with the Wii U is a really bad idea. I once thought the 360 controller was the best control pad ever made, but now it's so uncomfortable to hold. I never thought that I'd consider the 360 controller too cramped but there you go.

They really need to do something about the Wii U demo kiosks. They do the gamepad a severe injustice, all the security wires locked into it make it feel really clunky and cumbersome. I really wasn't 100% sold on the system until I actually had a gamepad of my own in my hands properly.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Gah... I'm addicted to drawing poo poo on miiverse. For some reason all of my worst drawings are the highest rated though. Subject matter choice, I guess.

It would be cool if there was a web based miiversed that linked with the Wii U.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
When Nintendo doesn't do something well saying other manufacturers do it/did it too isn't much of a defense. If it's a bad system or policy then it's just bad regardless of how widely its adopted.

Neither the software nor the hardware are cheap here and while allowances have to be made for launch as consumers it's okay to have some expectations.

The way Nintendo set up their accounts is dumb. If Xbox accounts worked that way when the 360 or whatever launched that was dumb. Nintendo has had time to learn from what the industry has done and do something better.

The goal of every system launch should be to move forward, not to fail in similar ways to everyone else.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Chernabog posted:

Gah... I'm addicted to drawing poo poo on miiverse. For some reason all of my worst drawings are the highest rated though. Subject matter choice, I guess.

It would be cool if there was a web based miiversed that linked with the Wii U.

I'm addicted too, but I hardly get likes for my drawings. :smith: Probably help if I posted them not at the crack of dawn... :v:

And Nintendo said they were going to release apps for the iOS and Android to access the Miiverse, right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper_Masochist posted:

Same thing happened with the remote and nunchuck for me, gamepad is more constricting than that in comparison :v:. It was nice being able to pretty much have your arms dangling anywhere (barring the cord) and still be able to play fine.

Edoraz posted:

I'm addicted too, but I hardly get likes for my drawings. :smith: Probably help if I posted them not at the crack of dawn... :v:

And Nintendo said they were going to release apps for the iOS and Android to access the Miiverse, right?
A mobile designed/accessible webpage I think (remember that cheesy pre E3 video), presumably a regular desktop page layout too. So yeah whatever the case there should be some type of accessibility to it outside of the console itself down the line.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

My largest problem with this system is the friend's list, If you want to add someone does it even give a request notification or do they have to both mutually add each other? That seems to be a very poor way to do things.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Captain Tolerable posted:

My largest problem with this system is the friend's list, If you want to add someone does it even give a request notification or do they have to both mutually add each other? That seems to be a very poor way to do things.

It'll send them a notification if you add them as a friend via Miiverse.

A lot of the UI functions like that ought to be cleaned up and/or consolidated.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Supercar Gautier posted:

As long as they've got friend requests enabled in their settings.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Copy/pasting Nintendo Direct times/links from over on NeoGAF, this guy does translations so check this post/his twitter if you stay up to watch the Japanese presentation and have no clue what the hell is going on while watching:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502717

Cheesemeister posted:

NCL has announced a presentation by Satoru Iwata today, Dec. 5th at 8 pm in Japan, covering the Wii U launch in 3 days.

When does the Japanese presentation in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times.

Where can I watch it? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct/sp/index.html

I will be providing live translations here in the OP and on my Twitter feed, @Cheesemeister3k.

NOA has announced a Nintendo Direct for Dec. 5th at 12 pm EST.
NOE will be holding a Nintendo Direct presentation on Dec. 5th at 5 pm GMT, simultaneous with NOA, both covering Wii U and 3DS software for the remainder of the year and into 2013.

When do the western presentations start in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times.

Where can I watch the NOA presentation? Right here: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/

Where can I watch the NOE presentation? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Here's the Miiverse app they showed at E3:

Or maybe I should call it the Nintendo Network app since you'll supposedly be able to make purchases with it too.

King
Jun 28, 2006
Not Kong
I don't know why I decided to use my Mii instead of Mario/Luigi/Toads on the NSMBU time attack challenge mode, but holy god are the sounds it makes terrifying. They're like the worst gremlin and far scarier than anything else in Mario history. Disconcerting.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

King posted:

I don't know why I decided to use my Mii instead of Mario/Luigi/Toads on the NSMBU time attack challenge mode, but holy god are the sounds it makes terrifying. They're like the worst gremlin and far scarier than anything else in Mario history. Disconcerting.

The sounds are absolutely adorable to me, I love that feature.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just went over the costs of my Wii U and TV, it's roughly €640/$840. I hope you're ready for this, wallet.

Any particular shifts in content or quality of the Miiverse ever since the EU launch?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Supercar Gautier posted:

A lot of the UI functions like that ought to be cleaned up and/or consolidated.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like you can do requests from the Friends List... just not on arbitrary names. You have to go to the list of people you've previously played with online, and you can send a request there. I know that's not much consolation, but there's some sort of tortured logic to this, apparently.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
JP Nintendo Direct is gonna start any minute now, its around 45 minutes long:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct/sp/index.html

The NA/EU Direct starts in about six hours, so don't sweat it if you miss this one.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Is the 9-Volt game in Game & Wario seriously "Play Warioware but pause before your mom finds out"? Because that's loving GENIUS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^it is. it so is.

Game & Wario features 16 bigger minigames plus a full suite of traditional microgames! Praise the lord!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^it is. it so is.

Game & Wario features 16 bigger minigames plus a full suite of traditional microgames! Praise the lord!

Thank gently caress, that game was my most depressing-looking title at E3 this year.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

quote:

20:21 A giant enemy crab blocks Pikmin tossing with a claw, blows bubbles that make them float.

Flip it over for massive damage

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know why, but I just find it weird watching Iwata calmly discussing shooting zombies.

edit: Well if anyone was worried about the WiiU selling well in Japan, Dragon Quest X was just shown off.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 5, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dragon Quest X was just shown off.

I hope I'm wrong but I think it will bomb on account of being an MMO. The Wii sales have been seriously terrible for a DQ game already, though if you want to keep an optimistic view, maybe everyone is waiting for the Wii U version. I don't think so, though.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Looks like there'll be Google Maps after all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

I hope I'm wrong but I think it will bomb on account of being an MMO. The Wii sales have been seriously terrible for a DQ game already, though if you want to keep an optimistic view, maybe everyone is waiting for the Wii U version. I don't think so, though.

They've been pretty good for a Japanese MMO, and they don't need to sell nearly as many in order to maintain similar levels of profit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Anyway, here's my crappy overview:

-Lego Iwata!
-Lego City Undercover trailer/overview
-Regular Iwata! FIFA 13 trailer
-Mass Effect 3 trailer
-Monster Hunter 3G U trailer
-Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge trailer
-Warrior Orochi 2 Hyper trailer
-Romance of the Three Kingdoms 5489075834075 trailer
-Simple Series vol. 1 Wii U trailer; budget price
-Sports Connecton (YOU-BEE-EYE-soft) trailer
-Wii Fit U trailer/overview; comes with small pedometer-style device that interfaces with console via bluetooth. 2013 release
-NSMBU Channel announced; Youtube channel for viewing official superplay clips, hint videos, etc
-Game & Wario overview; 16 minigames plus a full suite of traditional WarioWare microgames (I think? maybe not?) FRUIT! Iwata plays one of the minigames! "Early 2013" release. #swag
-Pikmin 3 overview/trailer.
-Rayman Legends overview/trailer, "2013" release
-Zombi U overview/trailer
-BLOPS2 overview/trailer, out December 20. Thanks Square-Enix!
-Dragon Quest 10 U trailer/overview; Premium owners get the beta for free! Transfer saves from Wii version. "2013" release
-Nintendo TVii info; interactive program guide on Gamepad, blah blah, available today! Iwata Asks TVii up after the broadcast.
-Hulu Japan confirmed for eShop, coming December 8
-Wii U Panorama View overview; view... things! Do... stuff! Out on eShop next year.
-Google Maps/Streetview app; navigate streets with the Gamepad? Out on eShop, free for a limited time!
-Final words from Iwata, that's it! No 3DS stuff!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 5, 2012

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Katana Gomai posted:

There's really a lot of cool stuff they could probably do to integrate the GamePad, I'm sure. I'm pessimistic mostly because Square Enix doesn't exactly have a good track record with MMOs. FF11 and FF14 only appealed to a very special type of :spergin:. While they are making an effort to try fix FF14, DQX being an MMO doesn't exactly fill me with great confidence.

There's also the real possibility that we just may not get to see it outside of Japan.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They've been pretty good for a Japanese MMO, and they don't need to sell nearly as many in order to maintain similar levels of profit.

While that may be true, he made an argument for the Wii U selling because of DQ10; the less copies it sells, the less system it sells. It is still profitable, but it's not a killer app like a "proper" DQ would be.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

fivegears4reverse posted:

DQX being an MMO doesn't exactly fill me with great confidence.

It's basically just DQ9 but online. They haven't really changed the formula all that much - there are solo-only servers, and they even let people play for free for an hour or two each day.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Katana Gomai posted:

Isn't the Wii U game just a slightly upscaled port of an existing Wii game (kind of like Twilight Princess was a GC game ported to the Wii)? I'd like to play a traditional DQ on a current gen system, but from what I've seen of DQX thus far, it seems as though I'll be digging out DQ8 again in the near future.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Pikmin 3 footage. It's purty.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Katana Gomai posted:

I'd have liked to play Dragon Quest X but them making it a MMOG completely turns me off. If I play MMOGs, it's on my PC, not on a console.

Also to the person that said Xenoblade is like a MMOG because it has "fetch quests and big environments" - that's RPG stuff that MMOGs do, not the other way around.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just wish jrpgs were more like FFIV, completely linear and uncomplicated. I started losing interest in the genre when I had to customize the poo poo out of everything. Just give every character set abilities, a main linear story, and several side quests. Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia fit that mold pretty well.

• Locked thread