Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I yelled at Sarabi yesterday for sleeping on my pillow. She has her own drat bed and she was hooked on it for weeks but recently had decided we need to share again. There was shouting. She didn't even wake up.

Also she only gets wet food a couple times a week. I just buy four or five on-sale super high quality cans of wet food and she goes through one or one and a half a week for a month. It's how I can afford the really good stuff. In my defense her kibble is Blue Buffalo LI and she balloons like gently caress if I don't ration her carefully.

Also I have started to let her outside again because it's too drat hard keeping her in when the other cat has a cat door. My parents are back in town (I have been dogsitting for four months) and so are watching Sarabi while I follow up on some job opportunities in the Bay Area. I am terrified they will lose her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I have a daily "favorite cat". It changes based on who has been less irritating so far that day. I feel super guilty about it every single time I realize that I'm liking one cat more than the other even though I know that I really like them both the same.

Sometimes I hold up the plate of wet food above the fat cat's head just to see how annoyed at me he'll get and what sort of meow he'll come up with to express his annoyance. Only when I'm done giggling at him will I feed him. Also, as long as he's healthy, I don't exactly care that fat cat is a fat cat.

I like throwing a toy the fluffy cat will chase just to see him slide into the wall. Hardwood floors and a cat with nearly 2 inches of fur sticking out between his toes is endless entertainment.

I don't like little dogs. I think some of them are cute to a point but I would never willingly own a chihuahua or a pom or something that would fit in a purse. Whenever I see someone with a tiny dog wearing a sweater being carried around I think not so nice things about that person's character.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I judge people who get rid of their pets just because they're having a baby very harshly, but now I'm considering getting rid of my cat just because I'm pregnant.

The past year or so he's started meowing very loudly all the goddamn time and nothing I do makes him stop. I used to be crazy about him but now I'm caring about him less and less. I just want him to shut the hell up. It used to annoy me but I dealt with it, now that it's later in the pregnancy I've been too uncomfortable to sleep well at night and when he wakes me up with his meowing I'm filled with rage. I think I might actually snap and kill him when I'm sleep deprived from the baby if he keeps me or the baby up with his awful yowling.

The only reason I haven't rehomed him already is because who wants a cat aggressive middle-aged cat who won't shut the hell up? And I still care about him enough that I don't want him euthed.

Captain Foxy posted:

-I am irrationally disappointed and bored by people who own labs and goldens because they're so boring and durfy and they're all the exact same thing and there's so loving many of them. I get mad when I go to the dog park purely to look at other people's dogs and there's nothing but boring dumb labs there. The people that have them seem to just glaze over and chirp 'great family dogs!!!' over and over again when asked about their dog, and they always seem to be as dumb and ignorant of dog social cues as their dogs. 'Oh he's just trying to play!' when the 80lb dog is repeatedly ramming my 5lb dog into the ground = typical example. They're not bad dogs, I guess, just stupid as balls and people keep breeding them like mad, so it's not their fault that they're everywhere, but everytime I see a lab or a golden I want to euth it and replace it with a neat-looking other breed purely because I think they're boring and ubiquitous and I think people should have to deal with dog quirks instead of just 'push button, receive family dog'. Yup. :)

My family raises Seeing Eye Puppies; labs, goldens, and lab/golden crosses. I used to think the same thing about labs and goldens but I love these dogs so much. They're way better than the hundreds of dogs (mostly danes, dobies, mastiffs, greyhounds, misc crosses) we've fostered over the years. They've been bred for smarts, trainability, and health to make great Seeing Eye dogs for generations though, so I still feel superior about them over normal labs and goldens. A lot of those are big and dumb BYB dogs with too much energy and too little training.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I think it's hilarious when people get working-bred dogs with no intention of letting the dog do the job it was bred for. A pet-bred whatever can sit in your yard and do ~*~agility~*~ (but only on the weekends when the weather is nice) just as well as a working-line Patterdale or ranch-bred border collie without being so miserable in the downtime. If you want to be "serious" about dog sports for some reason then go talk to a sports breeder, but leave the hunting dogs to the hunters and the herding breeds to the ranchers. It just smacks of wasted potential and wasted money for the sake of being able to talk about your Super Special Status Symbol Dog.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

tse1618 posted:

My family raises Seeing Eye Puppies; labs, goldens, and lab/golden crosses. I used to think the same thing about labs and goldens but I love these dogs so much. They're way better than the hundreds of dogs (mostly danes, dobies, mastiffs, greyhounds, misc crosses) we've fostered over the years. They've been bred for smarts, trainability, and health to make great Seeing Eye dogs for generations though, so I still feel superior about them over normal labs and goldens. A lot of those are big and dumb BYB dogs with too much energy and too little training.

I think Seeing Eye programs are amazing (I loving sobbed like a small child during Through a Dog's Eyes) and I absolutely agree that to a degree these are different dogs than your average pet durf lab but still every time I see a person with a guide/service dog and it's a lab/golden I have a strong tendency to think 'x breed could probably do that job just as well, if not better'.

Don't get me wrong: I think the seeing eye programs have a reason to continue using the breeds they use, sure, but I think that the variety of dog breeds gives us so many possibilities to fit with so many different homes and levels of ability that I think it's just plain silly that the prevalent mentality is 'ONLY LABS/GOLDENS DO SERVICE WORK'. I've seen a few Collie service dogs, a Greyhound, a Beagle, at least a dozen different BCs, EVEN A POM, etc. I want to see service work programs diversify their efforts in regards to fitting people with the right type of dog for their service needs, because some people need a more attentive breed, some need a more independent one, some need a smaller one, some need a less hairy one, some need a big protective dog, etc etc. I don't think, given the number of different breeds, that it'd be a stretch to say that dogs other than a lab/golden/german shepherd could do those jobs. I'm not talking about just therapy work or emotional support; I'm talking about guide work, and full-on daily service work.

Obviously it would take a lot of work, money, effort and training to develop breeding programs and diversify in that manner and obviously I am contributing none of that, but it's something that bothers me and I think about it. :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

demozthenes posted:

I think it's hilarious when people get working-bred dogs with no intention of letting the dog do the job it was bred for. A pet-bred whatever can sit in your yard and do ~*~agility~*~ (but only on the weekends when the weather is nice) just as well as a working-line Patterdale or ranch-bred border collie without being so miserable in the downtime. If you want to be "serious" about dog sports for some reason then go talk to a sports breeder, but leave the hunting dogs to the hunters and the herding breeds to the ranchers. It just smacks of wasted potential and wasted money for the sake of being able to talk about your Super Special Status Symbol Dog.

My boss never shuts up about her ~FIELD BRED LAB~ and it has spent 9 years sitting in a pen. She bird hunts, but never involves the dogs because "if we took her once, she'd like it so much she'd never shut up if we wanted to go and didn't want to take her." :psyduck:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

demozthenes posted:

... or ranch-bred border collie without being so miserable in the downtime. If you want to be "serious" about dog sports for some reason then go talk to a sports breeder, but leave the hunting dogs to the hunters and the herding breeds to the ranchers. It just smacks of wasted potential and wasted money for the sake of being able to talk about your Super Special Status Symbol Dog.

I disagree. I'm looking at a ranch-bred BC with which to do agility. My recent trials and tribulations are in the dog sport thread. To be fair, I'm also looking at sport breeders.

However, this is a thread about opinions, so I'll be quiet. Unless you feel like nerding out with me.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So I credit George, a GSD, with getting me into SAR...

But if he washes out, or when he eventually retires if he does get certified, my next SAR dog is going to be an ACD.

I adore George but every single training milestone I think, "I could have done that X months ago with my heelers." And I know I'm right because I work my dogs and know their capabilities. I love George's obedience and his willingness to listen to me, but holy poo poo if I want a serious working dog that is going to save lives, I'm going with a loving cattle dog. If any of my current 3 heelers were younger, I'd swap them out for George in a heartbeat.

I know this is breed bias but drat sometimes I get sick of how dependent he is on me. I want a dog who is codependent in some ways but can work on their own, drat it. I like it when my heelers sometimes give me that "gently caress you" look.

I love my George and I could see owning a GSD again but really there's no way he's changing my allegiance from ACDs. ACDs are just everything you could want in a dog. And also everything you don't want in a dog, which just makes the good qualities even better.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Guys they aren't confessions if they are the same sanctimonious PI opinions yall post in every other thread just keep that in mind. ;)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yeaaaah, maybe you guys should actually post something amusing to me or I may go mad with power and BAN YOU AAALLLLL. Quit talking about what good pet owners you are and tell me your sins.

I, for one, am super lazy about getting Novolo to eat fresh fruits and veggies. I laugh at her when she resists being put in her little diaper/harness because her enraged honks are so cute. I know it's only making it harder on her (parrots can tell if you're laughing at them), but god drat she sounds like the tiniest most furious donkey.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I keep trying to shove my rats into harnesses.

So far they don't like it.

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

This thread is making me feel a lot better about the (very) few times that I lost my temper and yelled at my cats. It was the first and only time I've had pets, and I have beaten myself up about it for over 8 years. I see now they still had wonderful lives. :yaycloud:

And this is way back from page 3.........

Mighty Amoeba posted:

When my childhood cat died when I was in college, I got sick of people asking me how he died and started telling them his parachute didn't open.

.........but this is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. I needed the laugh today; thank you.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
I adopted my cats over a year ago and I have never, not even once, called them by their real names when I talk to them. They are always "cat," "fat cat," "good cat," "bad cat," "dumb cat," "ridiculous cat" or some other (adjective) cat.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
99% of the time I refer to my cats as "fatty" and "ugly" rather than their actual names; if I'm in a good mood I'll switch it up to "fatty maggoo" and "ugly buddy".

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

Topoisomerase posted:

Guys they aren't confessions if they are the same sanctimonious PI opinions yall post in every other thread just keep that in mind. ;)

I was going to accuse you of backseat moderating my thread (:mad:!!!!!) but then I remembered~

When I was a teenager we had a pair of lovebirds and they reared several clutches of babies. We sold all of the offspring to a pet shop v:shobon:v

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Sometimes I only walk the dogs until they both poop then we turn around and go home.

I got my first guinea pigs from a sketchy pet shop and one got pregnant (the shop lied to us that they were "brothers" and we didn't know well enough to check) and we sold the babies to another pet shop. It was a better less sketchy pet shop at least. In my defense I was 10 years old and had little to no say in the matter.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I used to take Clawdia, when she would be lying on her side, and "vacuum" her across the tile in circles while making motor noises.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Periodically, I force my cats to express their anal glands just to make sure they are emptying properly. I do this by rubbing their back legs until they tense up. They don't really like it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I ended up not moving the blue-tongue skink to a larger tank. She is still in the 40 breeder and I'm debating about setting up some kind of outdoor enclosure for her. But it's too cold right now and most of the year outside it is too hot. Goddamnit Jackie, why do you have to be so cool?

I feed the mice a seed mix because they will eat each other before they eat lab block.

I have bleached out my water-change Python so often that the metal ring around my drain is stained black.

One of our Kenyan sand boas got loose and I haven't bothered to tear up more than one room looking for him. Past experience says we will find him soon, but the more we move poo poo, the more likely we are to box him in somewhere. I thought the cats would be on the hunt for him but none of them seem to notice poo poo unless there is chicken or a loose mouse involved.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
We regularly forget Lucy in a closet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh, Amy locks herself in the bathroom all the time and I just listen to her scream about it at the top of her lungs because I really don't care. I mean I let her out eventually, but :effort:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'll be sitting around, and Feldman will come up and look at me. So I'll look back at him. This of course makes him Real Mad because why aren't I showering him with attention?! So he'll make a huff and take a step, while I continue to stare, knowing A Bark is coming. Only once he barks will I pet him. It's reinforcing bad behavior, but I find it hilarious.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
My parents got a really cute cockapoo (they have stupid names, I know) from a backyard breeder when I was fourteen and I don't regret it one bit. He's clingy as gently caress but he's just so adorable. Besides, the SPCA told us that we would have more luck finding the right dog if we went to a breeder. (There aren't usually many dogs in there anyway.) The only reason I haven't talked about him on here is because you guys get a little angry about those kinds of dogs. Also, his name is Skooter but it was my dad who insisted on spelling it with a K.

Sometimes I wake up my bearded dragon at night and he gives me grumpy looks.

Our first reptiles were anoles that my mom bought for christmas and I couldn't give a poo poo about them. They were the most boring pets I've ever had. I also kind of hate them for putting my dad off reptiles until I got a beardie.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 5, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I neglected two geckos to death when I was 13. I also had a hedgedog die because my room was too cold and I didn't know poo poo about their care. I still feel horribly guilty. It makes me not want to own pets despite wanting one.

Celery Face posted:

My parents got a really cute cockapoo (they have stupid names, I know) from a backyard breeder when I was fourteen and I don't regret it one bit. He's clingy as gently caress but he's just so adorable. Besides, the SPCA told us that we would have more luck finding the right dog if we went to a breeder. (There aren't usually many dogs in there anyway.) The only reason I haven't talked about him on here is because you guys get a little angry about those kinds of dogs.
This is the weirdest advice to hear from a shelter. But I guess maybe things like petfinder weren't as common back then. I swear you can find EVERYTHING on petfinder within reasonable distance assuming it's not especially rare. (Hence why it is a dangerous trap of a website to browse :saddowns:)

Also it's not that PI hates designer dogs, they hate designer BREEDERS. And their stupid names, because seriously.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yeah, as long as you're properly ashamed, we won't hardly look down on you. Much.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Kerfuffle posted:

This is the weirdest advice to hear from a shelter. But I guess maybe things like petfinder weren't as common back then. I swear you can find EVERYTHING on petfinder within reasonable distance assuming it's not especially rare. (Hence why it is a dangerous trap of a website to browse :saddowns:)
Trust me, there is very limited selection for adopting dogs here on Vancouver Island. Most of the dogs at the only shelter here are too big for us and the smaller ones usually get adopted the day they come in. Honestly, I don't see why I should care if people buy from backyard breeders around here because it's not my business and it's not like we have huge kill shelters filled to the brim with every kind of dog you can think of.

Also, we took pretty lovely care of two bunnies we got for free when I was about nine. We kept them in a tiny wire cage aside from when we later let him live in the huge fenced in garden. My dad eventually let them loose in the forest near our house. The coyotes took one and our German Shepard killed mine and buried her in the show during the winter. I remember touching something she was digging up with my mitten and sniffing it. I choked, it smelled so bad. I didn't realize what had actually happened until all the snow melted and I saw a bunny skeleton with white tufts of fur around it.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 5, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Heh I guess I have another one

Some days recently (especially after we got the guinea pigs) the cat will. not. shut. up. She will just meow, and meow, and meow, and walk around the house, and meow, and sit outside our bedrooms and meow. But, she still doesn't loving like attention. If you pet her she rubs once and walks away if you try to pet more. If you try to pick her up she becomes a cloud of claws and loud upset meowing and then runs and hides. I literally don't know what the drat cat wants. So, I yell at the cat to shut the gently caress up. "Shut the gently caress up cat," I say, and the cat looks at me and meows louder and I roll my eyes. The only surefire way to get her to stop is to bearhug her and take the blows for a minute so she's sufficiently mad and will shut up and hide.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
My cat Mrr will complain loudly if you put more than one hand on her at a time or if you pick her up. But she's completely harmless and it's funny so I do it pretty much constantly.

benjai
Jun 26, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I know this is the confession thread and I really don't mean to be all PI catlady on you but I would not remove the litterbox the cat uses more often just because it's inconvenient for you to clean it. Once a cat develops a preference, they can be total spergs about that preference and then if he were to develop inconsistent litterbox habits based on its removal that could set you all up for a really tough time trying to get him to go in the box again.

Basically if it ain't broke don't fix it. If he doesn't care that you don't scoop it that often whatever. ;)

It's really just a rant - I'm not gonna do anything that could potentially disturb Batsy. He's the king of my house. It's mostly wishful thinking that he could stop using the one in the hall so I could stop scooping. Actually, Batsy, why don't you stop pooping all together? That would be great.

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

Oh god how could I forget this. When I was 15 I was a spoiled brat and wanted a second dog. I wanted a white german shepherd and there was a probably lovely breeder in bumfuck Florida. My parents had put a deposit down and everything for the future pup... but then in the newspaper I saw ~*~*WOLF HYBRID PUPPIES*~*~ and so they paid 700 for a probably husky/shepherd mix.

He was cool but as a teen I thought all dogs were just dogs duhh, if my collie mutt listens to me and poo poo won't this one!!??

My parents had to put him in the shelter because we obviously could not handle it. I can't forgive myself, being a stupid teen isn't a good excuse.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I was secretly really happy the last time Vecna barked at a group of kids running at him and screaming "Puppy!!!!!!". It was a "HOLY poo poo YES LETS PLAY!!!" bark (he thinks kids are the poo poo) but he's got a really loud voice and it scares people. I am just so loving sick of idiot mothers unleashing their out of control children on my dog without even bothering to talk to me first that I can't bring myself to give a gently caress if he barks at a kid and scares them a little bit.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

RetroVirus posted:

Oh god how could I forget this. When I was 15 I was a spoiled brat and wanted a second dog. I wanted a white german shepherd and there was a probably lovely breeder in bumfuck Florida. My parents had put a deposit down and everything for the future pup... but then in the newspaper I saw ~*~*WOLF HYBRID PUPPIES*~*~ and so they paid 700 for a probably husky/shepherd mix.

He was cool but as a teen I thought all dogs were just dogs duhh, if my collie mutt listens to me and poo poo won't this one!!??

My parents had to put him in the shelter because we obviously could not handle it. I can't forgive myself, being a stupid teen isn't a good excuse.

It's okay. When I was a teenager I wanted another dog and threw a poo poo fit for this BYB AKita I found at animal control. I wanted him solely because he was pretty. I knew that they were "A DOMINANT BREED" but I watched Cesar Milan and grew up with dogs and was pro as hell so I was gonna do great. :smug:

After about a year of alpha rolling him and screaming TSST at him, he was reduced to wearing a basket muzzle 24/7 because I absolutely refused to rotate him with my other dogs and he wouldn't stop attacking them. Rotating him would have been "letting him be dominant" and dictate what I and the other dogs did, you see. He was crazy and stressed and hated everyone and began obsessively licking furniture to cope with how badly I'd messed him up.

Finally I rehomed him through a rescue and someone with primitive breed experience took him. I feel incredibly guilty about it- he was a good dog and none of his behavior was inappropriate for an akita and if anything, he had an easy/soft temperament for one before I ruined him. He is the only dog I have ever screwed up and seeing what I'd done to his brain was the catalyst for 19 y/0 me realizing that dominance based training was retarded.

If it helps, last I heard he is normal and happy now in a home that understands him. :( I saw his owner with him at Petsmart about 2 years ago and he was very friendly and polite when he saw me and looked really happy.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I miss free-feeding. I didn't even care that much that my fat when I got her cat got fatter. I am holding out hope and am waiting to see if her weird skin poo poo comes back after having to lay out her old food when we left for 24 hours, because my god if it doesn't then it's a free-feeding bonanza in this bitch. The cats wake my husband up at 6:30 in the morning by crawling all over him or literally biting his face, who in turn wakes me up with "GOD drat CATS" and throwing them out of the bedroom.

I miss sleeping past 7:30 on weekends. Scheduled feedings suck.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Mouse has been having a couple of issues with separation anxiety since I moved her out to my place full time. She's always been used to living with A Dandy, so being alone is new and difficult for her. She's velcro-y at the best of times, and will scratch at doors if they're closed and I'm on the other side of them. Anyway, we've been working on poo poo and she's doing okay now. She howls when I leave, but when I get back she'll be curled up asleep in her crate. I'm curious how long she howls for, though, so will probably set up a webcam at some point next week. (ps Not only do I have neighbours on both sides, they are the landlady's son on one side and niece on the other! Aaaa!! But the walls are thick and no complaints yet, so.)

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
I adopted my big fat orange cat last year. He was raised as an outdoor/indoor cat, and I got him to be my companion when my old and going senile dog finally passes. So, because part of my problems include anxiety and paranoia, I decided he was going to be -indoor only-. I can't bear the idea of losing him.

...he yowled. And howled. And paced. No toys, no playing, NOTHING could pacify him when he got restless. I bought Da Bird, and he liked it...until he caught it firmly, and realized it was not edible. He refused to play with it anymore. I even bought a harness to walk him in, which he hated (it was useful when we moved, though!). No dice.

Finally I caved and started letting him out at night when it's much quieter and safer. And he was HAPPY. Seriously happy. Even though I was sitting at home unable to sleep waiting for the drat cat to come back in the window.

Now he asks to go out, and always comes back in within an hour or so. He doesn't cross the street, he hunts in the little wooded area behind our house. When I walk the ancient dog in the back or front yard, he'll come out of nowhere to walk with us. He doesn't go up to strangers, he doesn't go near cars. He's very alert and clever.

I feel so GUILTY. And worried. And anxious. But then again, when I see him fat and sassy, sitting out in HIS YARD like a proud orange lion, watching the neighborhood...i can't regret letting him out. He doesn't yowl as much anymore. He's content and happy when he's inside. He's more cuddly than he ever was when I was forcing him to stay inside. When we first moved and he didn't get to go roaming for about three weeks, he started his excessive grooming again (did it at the shelter) and licked half his belly and tail fur off. He's stopped that now that we're settled down and he can do his nightly rounds.

*sigh* I'm pretty sure the rescue I got him from would skin me alive if they knew I let him outside. And I wouldn't blame them!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

My favorite (pom) breeder has a litter right now with two unclaimed male pups, and one is a sable, and they'd be available after Christmas. I want a puppy so bad but logistically it's probably not a good time. I very strongly want to just put a deposit down and say 'gently caress it', though.

I don't need two dogs. I'm barely training Keeper at all these days and today will be the first day he's been walked in three days because it is the rainy season and neither he nor I feel like dealing with it. A pom puppy from this breeder will be really typey; feisty, willful and stubborn, and so training/early socialization will be key, and as big of a pom sperg as I am, I don't know that I can actually handle it correctly.

But still. Want puppy. Have a hard time saying no to puppy.

notsowelp posted:

Mouse has been having a couple of issues with separation anxiety since I moved her out to my place full time. She's always been used to living with A Dandy, so being alone is new and difficult for her.

Get another adorable lurcher puppy, hth

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I'll send Beau to you for a little vacay. He'll work that out of your system fast.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm a big-chested lady and my rats sit on my boobs. Boobs are a perfect rat-shelf, warm and snuggly and designed to keep them from falling down my shirt. When they're visiting with other people, they will often stick their heads under shirts and look for boobs to sit on. There is visible disappointment and frustration when they find anything smaller than a C-cup, because they can't sit on that, how are they supposed to snuggle?!

I will never stop thinking it's hilarious when they peek under my male roommate's shirt and come back all sad and confused. I have yet to tell him that that's what they're doing.

My rats: boob fetishists.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Oh I forgot these ones:

-I sometimes drive with Keeper on my lap instead of his carseat because dog snuggles sometimes trump safety

-I like the way he looks in sweaters and ridiculous dog clothes. And I LOVE carrying him with me everywhere in a bag. I make the point to not buy purse-like carry bags but still. It's fun okay. :colbert:

I may be encouraging separation anxiety by doing this, but since he comes literally everywhere with me and travels on planes for all major vacations, IDGAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Captain Foxy posted:

Get another adorable lurcher puppy, hth

:ohdear: don't tempt me.

More ~confessions~; as much as I love Mouse, I am beyond bummed that she's had these knee issues. I truly purchased her to be my ~sports dog~, and we were supposed to be building up to racing, lure coursing, agility/flyball and/or hunting this year. Right now she can't even do flirt pole or cycling (both of which she loved when she tried them briefly) because of her dumb knees and it blows. I'd organised rabbiting dates for the beginning of the season and everything. As I say, I love her and wouldn't be without her - but drat, I wish I had the awesome rabbiting and cycling buddy she was gearing up to be :(. Hopefully we'll be able to get poo poo fixed up, though, and she'll still have an active future ahead.

And just in case anyone is curious/ feeling judgey, the vet (who is the leading greyhound vet in the country!) still doesn't know whether the issue is hereditary, non-hereditary/congenital or trauma-related. The symptoms are pretty weird, and we're going to do an mri after Christmas to see exactly what's up. I asked the vet if she thought it would be most responsible to just go ahead and spay her now (in case the condition is hereditary), and she was like 'Hell naw, we're nowhere near that point yet :colbert:'. So yes, there is my overly defensive update on Mouse's health issues :v:.

• Locked thread