Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

I just wish jrpgs were more like FFIV, completely linear and uncomplicated. I started losing interest in the genre when I had to customize the poo poo out of everything. Just give every character set abilities, a main linear story, and several side quests. Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia fit that mold pretty well.

Radiant Historia for the DS is what you crave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Completely linear? Final Fantasy 13 is for you!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are any of the upcoming WiiU or current Wii rpgs like that? I'm pretty much done with handhelds. Xenoblade didn't sound like it would float my boat.

GreenNight posted:

Completely linear? Final Fantasy 13 is for you!

There are limits.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

greatn posted:

Are any of the upcoming WiiU or current Wii rpgs like that? I'm pretty much done with handhelds. Xenoblade didn't sound like it would float my boat.

Yeah, as good as Xenoblade is, it's probably not what you're looking for. The Last Story might be more up your alley, though.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

greatn posted:

I just wish jrpgs were more like FFIV, completely linear and uncomplicated. I started losing interest in the genre when I had to customize the poo poo out of everything. Just give every character set abilities, a main linear story, and several side quests. Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia fit that mold pretty well.

I have Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast. I *wanted* to like it. I got pretty tired of the continuous random battles. I'd walk about an inch and something would attack. Every battle was 90% panning cut-scene/animations of characters pulling off their attack. That was most of the game, just watching my characters repeat the same attack over and over. As soon as that battle ended, I'd move an inch and another random battle would begin - and there I was, watching fire and sparks and poo poo as my characters did their same attacks again.
I think I finally gave up after noticing wrong letters/misspelled stuff when I finally made it to towns. I have to watch the same animation for hours on end, but they couldn't spend 10 minutes proof-reading their game? It felt like they rushed the game out and didn't test or review anything. Playtesters would have noticed the spelling issues and caused hell over the number of random battles.

FF10, "Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door", and Kingdom Hearts are probably the only RPG/adventure games to hold my interest in the past decade. I just don't have time to sit down with a game that annoys me for dozens of hours with stupid side-quests or boring grinding. Zelda, Skyward Sword is the most recent game I gave up on. I was all excited about playing through a highly-rated Zelda game again - I gave up after spending what felt like 2 hours searching for these little pokemon-looking things (you have to find them or they won't help you find Zelda!). Ain't nobody got time for that!

A linear FF 13 sounds interesting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ah, yes, Paper Mario is another series which is basically the perfect kind of RPG for me. I think they toned down the random encounters of Skies in the Gamecube port for what it's worth because I don't remember it happening every step.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

greatn posted:

There are limits.

Do you like SRPGs? Fire Emblem for the Wii is pretty drat good.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

What is the controller set up for playing a Wii game on the Wii U?

I've heard nothing but awesome stuff about Xenoblade, and it's on Gamestop for MSRP currently(better than eBay for sure). Do I need a wiimote or can I use a gamepad/pro controller?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vertigo posted:

I've heard nothing but awesome stuff about Xenoblade, and it's on Gamestop for MSRP currently(better than eBay for sure). Do I need a wiimote or can I use a gamepad/pro controller?

Only Wii controllers can be used to play Wii games, so no WiiU game pad or WiiU pro controller.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Vertigo posted:

spring for a wiimote and classic controller; it plays really well with the classic.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

greatn posted:

The Golden Sun games? Golden Sun is always a solid game to recommend. Were there even sidequests in GS?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

horriblePencilist posted:

The Golden Sun games? Golden Sun is always a solid game to recommend. Were there even sidequests in GS?

The problem with GS games is that they were boring as hell in 2001... I couldn't even begin to imagine how boring they are now.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Golden Sun is one of those games that just hasn't held up well throughout the years in my opinion. I was surprised at its success back when it came out since I didn't think it was anything special, but I think it was just a combination of people falling in love with 16-bit again due to the GBA and a draught of games for it in general. There have been dozens of better RPGs since then.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

:stare: That's face-melting. drat. Is that possible on the 360?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Xenomorph posted:

A linear FF 13 sounds interesting.

The gameplay in FFXIII is like ads in a DVD menu; you just keep pushing confirm repeatedly so you can get on with the movie.

drat pretty movie though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Try The World Ends With You on the DS, or Tales of the Abyss if you own a 3DS. If you have a PS2, give Rogue Galaxy a try.

horriblePencilist posted:

There are indeed.

greatn posted:

Ah, yes, Paper Mario is another series which is basically the perfect kind of RPG for me. I think they toned down the random encounters of Skies in the Gamecube port for what it's worth because I don't remember it happening every step.

They did indeed reduce the encounter rate to something more reasonable.

Artix74 posted:

Yeah, as good as Xenoblade is, it's probably not what you're looking for. The Last Story might be more up your alley, though.

I'd agree with this. The game's built around a central town, but the party travels around quite a bit in enclosed levels for missions as part of the main story (They're mercenaries employed by the Duke who owns the island the game takes place on). The story is really good (By the original Final Fantasy creator, in fact) and the combat's quite fun. It's an action rpg, so you only control the main character (though you can give orders to your party members in combat), but you get a pretty decent range of skills to use.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Golden Sun is one of those games that just hasn't held up well throughout the years in my opinion. I was surprised at its success back when it came out since I didn't think it was anything special, but I think it was just a combination of people falling in love with 16-bit again due to the GBA and a draught of games for it in general. There have been dozens of better RPGs since then.

Golden sun was pretty much an early dragon quest game on the GBA. It is by no means bad, there's plenty of content, and it was really pretty for a GBA game (still is), but yeah. Nothing special.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

I never played Pikmin before but after seeing the dark cave and the glowing fish monster my interest is officially piqued.

Is the second astronaut a second player or is it just one player switching between the two?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The last game was cooperative so I suspect this one will be as well. But I bet it's not god damned ONLINE cooperative.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I already knew I was going to get a WiiU for Pikmin 3, but my god that seals the deal. Though the person demoing the game is pretty terrible at it. Nice job getting flanked by both a Bulbear and two Fiery Blowhogs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strange Matter posted:

I already knew I was going to get a WiiU for Pikmin 3, but my god that seals the deal. Though the person demoing the game is pretty terrible at it. Nice job getting flanked by both a Bulbear and two Fiery Blowhogs.

I don't know what that gorgeous lit-up flying thing was in the dark level, all I know is I want to make it pay for sucking up Pikmin like that. All shall fall beneath the petals of the Red Pikmin Army once more:black101:

greatn posted:

The last game was cooperative so I suspect this one will be as well. But I bet it's not god damned ONLINE cooperative.

Pretty sure one of the earlier trailers (E3 perhaps?) showed four Leaders.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well if they don't add back forming ranks with the second stick it will be harder to avoid enemies. It wasn't in the e3 demo(or the wii re releases).

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I tried figuring out why I like Golden Sun so much, I couldn't answer it. Maybe it's the puzzles? The music? The fact that the best looking game I played before that was Donkey Kong for the GameBoy? I dunno.

The only RPG I own for the DS besides Bowser's Inside Story is Valkyrie Profile: Convenant of the Plume. I haven't played it too much, but the combat was pretty cool. However, it's probably too open, it has permanent death which affects the story and so on.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

spring for a wiimote and classic controller; it plays really well with the classic.

I still have the really old-school classic controller that launched with the Wii. Will that be okay for Xenoblade?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Oooh, I discovered something tangible that the update fixed! When turning off the console while using Wii mode, the gamepad no longer turns on and gets confused.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What are you doing don't wake up that bulborb if you're not going to kill it. Oh my god stop don't just throw your guys into that crab thing's mouth! Ahh they're floating away! No no no flank the bulbear he's gonna eat everyone why are you standing still right in front of a blowhog run you fool.

I want this game now. It looks gorgeous.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

axeil posted:

I still have the really old-school classic controller that launched with the Wii. Will that be okay for Xenoblade?

Yeah, the very first model of the Classic Controller is functionally the same device as the later Classic Controller Pro. Only the physical design is different.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

I hope we hear more about this in the other Directs (starting in 20 minutes!), because oh god it's been so long since I last played Pikmin. Might break out 2 again just because.

Also is it me, or have they changed the sounds the bulborbs make? They sound a lot...cuter, I guess?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

greatn posted:

According to Forbes there won't be online multiplayer

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

:siren: NINTENDO DIRECT NOW :siren:

NOA: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/

NOE: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html

I'm watching the NoE stream.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
haha this is vaguely creepy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

And there never will be as long as people keep forking over sixty dollars.

Has Nintendo had ONE online coop game? I can only think of competitive sports games and Brawl for them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gendo posted:

haha this is vaguely creepy

"Timecop rules" its only creepy if they ever touch. and Lego Iwata better be playable.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Lego City Undercover looks like it could be a whole lot of fun.

Edit: Pikmin 3 Q2 :(

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 5, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Lego City Undercover looks like it could be a whole lot of fun.

It will be a great bargain bin title.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's basically Lego GTA. Something I have no problem paying $60 for.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Fruit is the best thing Game of the Forever :colbert:

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
These things are normally half an hour long or so, right? Nearly halfway through the Europe one and all that's been shown is Lego City, Sonic Racing, FIFA 13, Mass Effect 3 and Ninja Gaiden. Hopefully we get to something actually new soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Introvert posted:

These things are normally half an hour long or so, right? Nearly halfway through the Europe one and all that's been shown is Lego City, Sonic Racing, FIFA 13, Mass Effect 3 and Ninja Gaiden. Hopefully we get to something actually new soon.

NA has shown Lego City, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, and just now Ninja Gaiden. Don't feel too bad.

• Locked thread