Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I heard that they were improved overall, but Is Shogun 2's loading time still significantly longer for DX11 than it is for DX9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
I haven't noticed any major differences in load time reduction, but then CA didn't claim that we'd be seeing DRASTIC results.

I've also tried to play the Otomo this morning and oh god is it a step up in difficulty. When the clan descriptions for the Takeda and the Uesugi said 'Hard', I managed to press on nonetheless and succeed.

With the Otomo you start off with one (questionable) friendly clan,while all the others poo poo all over you, your daimyo has two honor from being a heathen Christian, and the Satsuma are all dogpiling onto the rape train. I'll need to seriously plot out my starting moves if I want to make the Otomo succeed.

Edit: Oh yeah, and you start off with -two- clans that want to see your head and all the heads of your followers impaled on big sticks. So there's that to consider as well.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Well that's what mortgaging your country to whitey is for.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Kersch posted:

I heard that they were improved overall, but Is Shogun 2's loading time still significantly longer for DX11 than it is for DX9?

Practically the same as pre-patch sadly.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

CharlesDexterWard posted:

Are there any good tutorials on battle tactics in the Total War games? I've read a bunch of beginner's threads on other forums and articles on some websites but I just can't seem to get anywhere, at least in Medieval 2.

Shogun 2 I have found a bit easier, but Medieval 2 kicks my rear end.

I started playing England and even though I can win fair battles at the beginning, I still take losses which I think are too much.

My beginning army is one line of 4-5 spear militia, a line of 4-5 archers behind them, and two cavalry on a flank.

I try to stay in line but even when the other army is made up of equal units, like other spear militia, my spears seem to get killed in time. I try using my cavalry to flank but sometimes I have trouble manoeuvring my units. I especially have trouble using spearmen to flank at times as they tend to get caught up with other units, or when they do hit they don't seem to attack very effectively and get in a jumble.

Would it be good to have some additional spearmen behind my main spear line so that they can flank?

For reference, spear militia has a morale rating of 3. Most castle units have a morale of 9, while the top-of-the-line units have a morale of 11. Morale is generally a bigger factor than the most part than actual fighting ability, since you can kill as many dudes as you want when they're routing. Spear militia isn't a terrible unit, you just need to make sure you can react fast to when it gets engaged. It will generally slaughter cav, but you need to get the hammers-and-anvils quickly when infantry engages.

Note: i'm playing with the retrofit mod and if you have Kingdoms you should be too. I think the morale stats are the same though.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 2, 2012

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Friendly fire IS a thing-be careful where you put your archers. Being shot in the back or having arrows rained on you is understandably bad for casualties.

Flanking isn't really a thing you do with infantry if cavalry is available due to lack of charge bonus(Except in certain cases). Make sure you get a decent run-up; it takes a few seconds to get up to charge speed and make sure the ground is relatively clear-going past rocks will slow them down.

'Manoeuvring problems' is very vague. Can you describe better?

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Friendly fire IS a thing-be careful where you put your archers. Being shot in the back or having arrows rained on you is understandably bad for casualties.

Flanking isn't really a thing you do with infantry if cavalry is available due to lack of charge bonus(Except in certain cases). Make sure you get a decent run-up; it takes a few seconds to get up to charge speed and make sure the ground is relatively clear-going past rocks will slow them down.

'Manoeuvring problems' is very vague. Can you describe better?

It's hard to explain but basically when I try to manoever units to flank I either have to set up waypoints so they stay well clear of the enemy, and then get them to flank, but usually the time it takes them to go through the waypoints it's too late to flank effectively.

Or I just try and get them to run to the side of the enemy and behind them without waypoints and they often end up getting caught up and the units get in a jumble, where only a small amount of my units seem to end up fighting the enemy units.

I played a bit last night and did a bit better, I fielded more spear units and was able to win fights, but I am not sure if it would count as winning. I technically won the fight but often the enemy would kill more units than he would lose, and my numbers would be worse after, just I routed his army.

I also tried to be more patient when trying to flank, I think I wasn't waiting until all units were engaged before trying a flank, I would just try and I guess I would get intercepted.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've actually seen a decrease of load times by half since this patch. Instead of ten painful minutes it is now more like four slightly irritating minutes.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Can someone link me to a good tutorial for Napoleon? I really enjoyed Shogun 1+2 and Medieval 1+2, but I am absolutely terrible at this one. I'm not sure how I should be positioning my units (and if I should be concerned about placing them in each other's line of fire), when I should shoot and when I should melee, when I should change formations, etc, etc. The combat also feels like it takes a lot longer than the other, melee-based Total Wars. I feel like an idiot watching a line of my troops stand stationary while firing upon another stationary line of troops, but maybe that's the way this is supposed to go.

So yeah, some battlefield/unit tips would be excellent. Sorry if they're somewhere on the forum, I couldn't find any in a search.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It's hard to explain but basically when I try to manoever units to flank I either have to set up waypoints so they stay well clear of the enemy, and then get them to flank, but usually the time it takes them to go through the waypoints it's too late to flank effectively.

Or I just try and get them to run to the side of the enemy and behind them without waypoints and they often end up getting caught up and the units get in a jumble, where only a small amount of my units seem to end up fighting the enemy units.

I played a bit last night and did a bit better, I fielded more spear units and was able to win fights, but I am not sure if it would count as winning. I technically won the fight but often the enemy would kill more units than he would lose, and my numbers would be worse after, just I routed his army.

I also tried to be more patient when trying to flank, I think I wasn't waiting until all units were engaged before trying a flank, I would just try and I guess I would get intercepted.

Cavalry flanking requires a bit of micromanagement to get clear around the lines. Sometimes you'll have to do some jukes to hit the right unit. Cavalry also doesn't seem to hold formation real well in this game, so you'll have to wait for them to form up before you go for the charge.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, your lines should all be drag selected into three ranks and formed into two groups.

For example, say you have 8 units of line infantry for France. Put four of them together in one group and make it your firing line and use them for the main advance.

Stick three more into a seperate group. This is your flanking line. Move it up with a little distance between the firing line and try and get this guy to focus and check the enemies flanks.

The final unit will be your reserve. Have them hold back near your artillery and bring them up to help either when things get messy. If things go right try and sneak the flanking line around to the rear of the enemy line while they are firing at your own firing line and sandwich them both with a mass bayonet charge from both sides.

Also, keep your cav moving and hidden on the edges of the battlefield and wait for a oppotunity to strike the flanks of a line or seize cannons/kill skirmishers.

Mod news wise, Empire Realism just updated. Is it good?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Speaking of Empire, what is the goon consensus on best Empire mod?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I just uninstalled Empire :(

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

Speaking of Empire, what is the goon consensus on best Empire mod?

I always enjoyed Imperial Splendour myself.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You have to wait for the enemy to have all or vast majority of it's units engaged before even thinking of flanking, also have enough cavalry to actually make an impact. Also why are you flanking with infantry when there are perfectly good horses to use?

Generally, my configuration is always cavalry-archers-spears at a ratio of 1:2:4. If you have the money for non-spear infantry, it's something like 1:2:4:2-4.

I usually situate my lines as follows no matter who I play with:

LINE 1---------------------- < Spears
LINE 2 -__-__-__-__-__-__-__- < Non spear infantry or alternatively just more spears.

(further back)

______________ < Archers.

(further back)

/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ < Cavalry

Don't engage the 2nd line until all of the enemy infantry or vast majority of it is engaged at the first line. Sometimes there are battles where you barely need the second line, sometimes even they might get overwhelmed, completely depends on who you are fighting.

DON'T fire arrows when the enemy is closing in, because their shields and front armor usually takes most of the volley and you kill like 10-50 guys max. Lightly armored skirmishers/archers can run all they want and not tire, so when the battle is really closing, have them run around the front line and shoot behind the enemy, I have had the line rout just from that alone. Use cavalry or parts of the second line to protect them if there are individual annoying enemy troops running around the battlefield trying to protect the flanks.

If the enemy has it's own cavalry, try to gently caress them up with your own cavalry or somehow try to get the enemy to attack your spearmen. If the enemy has way more cavalry then you, well then drat, why didn't you bring enough cavalry? Learn from Hastings!

Use your cavalry to kill enemy archers/skirmishers if they are safe and there are no infantry units to block them, easiest target ever.

After your archers have emptied their quivers/skirmishers have tossed all their javelins, throw in the cavalry (who should by this point be situated behind the enemy, like the archers, also there should not be any more enemy cavalry to worry about at this point).

30% of the time the entire enemy line will break and rout from the first attack. 60% of the time you have to charge every point or some parts of the enemy line and rout them one by one. 10% you are facing some hard motherfuckers and they will have to be grinded down by your entire army and you can't really avoid losses.

That's my strategy in most fights.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Any tips for FOTS campaigns? I've got a hang of the battles, but not the economy. Everything seems so drat expensive to build, and even a modest army (which I need to expand), eats up almost all my income. Trying as the Tosa, and seem to hit a wall once I take that one enemy you share the island with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

I just uninstalled Empire :(

Just remember losing your first First Rate in its first battle in a small scrub frigate line in an unmodded campaign.

There ya go, all the sadness is gone.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Any tips for FOTS campaigns? I've got a hang of the battles, but not the economy. Everything seems so drat expensive to build, and even a modest army (which I need to expand), eats up almost all my income. Trying as the Tosa, and seem to hit a wall once I take that one enemy you share the island with.

Try and get as much trade going with the other Imperial clans (FIND EITHER SATSUMA OR CHOSHU ASAP) and get at least one money making structure (tear down a lovely Samurai Dojo if you must!) up.

Also, don't be afraid to research Civil Stuff first.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 3, 2012

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Choshu always dies first when I play FotS :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Choshu always dies first when I play FotS :(

It sucks, I've had enough and downloaded the randomised faction AI mod from STEAM community and a mod which forces the AI to deal with occupation issues like the player. Smaller Imperial and Shogun clans last a little longer PLUS some of them now switch sides.

Kind of weird of fighting the Satsuma working for the Shogun. Thats not suppose to happen until after the war!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

I usually fill a line with spears or other infantry, try to at least match the enemy line, then maybe some extra spears on the side to protect flanks/envelop up contact. For cavalry, deploy them on the far sides of the front, or really off to the flanks up front so you can start maneuvering before they engage. Like most people are saying, you need to line them up and have them form up before beginning your charge. As soon as you have the enemy line locked in you can charge with cavalry.

Now I feel like playing M2 again.

edit: quick youtubing of people trying to use cavlary in M2 is hilarious, stuff like frontal charges and then a hundred recommits while mid charge or not charging properly. Don't do that. Line them up, full stop. Whey reform, then go ASAP.

Basically heavy cavalry (from the little I used them) are for front line smashing. Put them up in the front of your army, then move your army to face theirs. When you are sure, have them charge whatever is directly in front of them. If they turn more than a bit mid-charge they have lost momentum and will break formation and the energy of the charge is wasted.

Another thing is if you are doing a charge up front, you need to charge, let the smash go through, then immediately pull out if you can safely do it. There is no real point in having them hand-to-hand even if it his superior unit vs. inferior unit. Pull them out and quickly try to reform for another go. Same goes for a flanking hit with cavalry. I need to play more cav-heavy factions but as England, I had maybe no more than 3-4 heavy cav and then the big flanking force was 5 or so light cavalry just repeating smashes because they could simply reform faster.

Sober fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 3, 2012

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

What is the word on DarthMod for Empire? I know that the modder himself is an rear end in a top hat, but it wouldn't be the first time that I've enjoyed a mod made by an rear end in a top hat (Awesomemod for Sims3)

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Cantorsdust posted:

What is the word on DarthMod for Empire? I know that the modder himself is an rear end in a top hat, but it wouldn't be the first time that I've enjoyed a mod made by an rear end in a top hat (Awesomemod for Sims3)

I enjoyed it when I still had a computer that could run empire. The increased unit size is a lot of fun and sets up some epic battles. It was also simple to install and run, something sometimes hard to come by with mods.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
From what I know, Darthmod is actually pretty good. It's just that all the loading and background screens will have Darth Vader on them which is also the reason why I never used the mod before.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I just bought the Otomo clan DLC but it refuses to show up ingame, it is listed as owned DLC under properties so I know I have it. I tried restarting the steam client several times and then my computer, and then verifying the game cache. It's still not there though.

EDIT: I found a way to fix it on the Steam forums, reposting so anyone else who has it can see it without going into that cesspit.

quote:

I was having the same trouble with the Otomo DLC not showing up even though I had no mods installed and verified the local contents. I think I figured out that the problem was caused by some junk patch files installed by the update in the Data folder that the game thinks are mod files.

1. Go to your Shogun 2 folder in the AppData. The file extension should look something like this: C:\Users\[Your name]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\logs. Inside is a text folder called modified.txt. It should have a list of files that are declared unknown, keep the text file open.

2. Go to your Shogun 2 data folder in your Steam folder. The file extension usually is this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\data.

3. Delete the files inside the data folder that are matching the list of unknown files in the modified.txt. I backed them up just in case.

After that I had no problems starting a campaign or custom battle as Otomo.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 3, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Darth mod for Empire is actually pretty good. One thing though, I know a dev said it was impossible for him to change the AI,but I think he made the campaign AI dumber somehow. They seem more willing to trade Key home provinces for some poo poo place on another continent and small groups that will get slaughtered seem to throw them selves at you. I didn't really have that experience in the 25 hours I played of vanilla. The battle AI seems the same despite what the brown-nosers say.
Still I like those apparent changes because it's funny watching 3 line units attack your doom stack of Cherokee warriors.

Also this

The good news is you only ever see Star wars poo poo in the launcher and the splash screen. The splash screen is also so :effort: it's hilarious. It's an ultra-low resolution jpeg of the Empire's symbol re-fitted to your entire screen. The In-game loading screens are just old paintings and opera music. One of the new songs is also some high school marching band music for some reason which was hilarious the first time I heard it. The new audio,new and bigger units,and better cannons make up for the draw backs I feel.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 3, 2012

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Man Whore posted:

The good news is you only ever see Star wars poo poo in the launcher and the splash screen. The splash screen is also so :effort: it's hilarious. It's an ultra-low resolution jpeg of the Empire's symbol re-fitted to your entire screen. The In-game loading screens are just old paintings and opera music. One of the new songs is also some high school marching band music for some reason which was hilarious the first time I heard it. The new audio,new and bigger units,and better cannons make up for the draw backs I feel.
I'd assume someone would've already figured out how to reverse those by taking his mod files and just replacing the Star Wars "artwork" out of it? (as minimal as it sounds).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sober posted:

I'd assume someone would've already figured out how to reverse those by taking his mod files and just replacing the Star Wars "artwork" out of it? (as minimal as it sounds).

It would probably lead to another Gategate, that crazy modder drama that happened due to some Skyrim modder deciding to poo poo up his mod with ugly-rear end bloat features then bitching about how a goon made a modmod that removed them. For more details, see the Awful Game Mods thread.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

It would probably lead to another Gategate, that crazy modder drama that happened due to some Skyrim modder deciding to poo poo up his mod with ugly-rear end bloat features then bitching about how a goon made a modmod that removed them. For more details, see the Awful Game Mods thread.

Somebody should do it anyways since he 'quit' modding Total War.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I got Stainless Steel to work in steam. Yay. Thanks, person who suggested that.

Anyway, I've noticed this weird habit swordsmen have: I tell them to charge a foe, which about 10 of them do while the rest of the unit just watch. It's really peculiar.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Ok so Darthmod is fine, I guess, but I think the campaign AI is even stupider than before. Random countries keep trying to trade me provinces for a couple of my techs, and similar trades are going on with the AI all the time. Poland traded with the Cherokee. Poland got Georgia, Cherokee got Lvow I think? Poland also traded with the Mugals, and the Mughals traded with the Iroqouis. So now I have Indian Indians in America and American Indians in India :psyduck:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Some information about the Roman faction has been released: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Roman_Faction

I know the link was (is) being flaky so I'll post the information here too.

Faction index posted:

Ranging from the Spanish coast to the far-flung, exotic kingdoms of the east, the campaign map for Total War: ROME II™ is breath-taking in scope, and a study in detail and variety. This page is your source for background information about each of the playable factions: their starting position on the campaign map, their civic and military focus, and some of their key battlefield units.

The playable factions represent key powers within the Greco-Roman, Barbarian, and Eastern cultures, and each offers a notably different and deeper form of gameplay experience from those in previous Total War games. Each brings unique commercial, military and political strengths, its own agents and political system, and three tech trees representing civic, military and engineering disciplines. Each will have its own dilemmas to face and different styles of army to manage. Some factions are split into a number of playable families, which bring further unique benefits to their base faction traits.

Players will need to work with – and in certain circumstances against – their faction’s internal political system. You’ll direct the actions of famous characters from history, and if they’re not out in the field commanding your armies, they’ll be politicking in the senate house, or its cultural equivalent. Players would be wise to keep an eye on such individuals…

Some factions rely more on mercenaries for their military might; some prefer to train their own. Some rely on client-nations or vassals to boost their economic growth, while others are more trade-focussed. Whichever you choose, each faction brings a completely different gameplay experience to Total War: ROME II™.

Rome faction page posted:

The Roman Republic is in a period of major growth. Pyrrhus and his invading Greek warriors have been driven from the shores of Italy, and the burgeoning Republic boasts the military muscle to match its ambition. Rome is the dominant power on the Italian peninsula, and stands at a turning point in history. But to expand, she must conquer. To the North lies the Estruscan League, and beyond, the Barbarian lands. To the east lie the Greeks, and to the south and west, the Carthaginians…

Since throwing off the rule of the Etruscan Kings in around 500BC, the Roman Republic has come to represent a power like no other. Military service is mandatory for citizens, and one of the most profound contributions a citizen can make. This makes the Republic militaristic at its very heart.

The strength of the Roman army lies in organisation, discipline and strict tactical doctrine. Well-drilled, well-equipped heavy infantry form the backbone of the army. The young, lightly armoured hastati man the frontlines. Behind them stand the more skilled, chainmail-clad principes. The oldest and most experienced warriors – the bronze-armoured triarii – hold the rear. These monolithic formations are supported by the Roman cavalry, or equites.

As a playable faction, Rome benefits economically from its excellence in metalwork, enjoys enhanced military development, and can exploit the masses in order to maintain public order. Furthermore, the player will choose to conduct the affairs of Rome as the head of one of three great Roman houses: The Julia, The Cornelia, and the Junia, each of which bring further economic, military and cultural benefits.

Interesting that we'll get to see all of these other civilizations too now that the faction limit isn't there anymore. Playable Etruscans either by mod or DLC? And I wonder what they'll do with some of the regions we're not so sure about; I will be disappointed if we get places with just "Rebels" again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So Rome starts much smaller this time, but still has the three family system in place? Does that mean each family gets a province or two, or you own all of them but you choose which family that leads, Crusader Kings style?

Man, this is going to be so cool. Individualized tech trees and rosters, plus expanding the family mechanic might make the game even more replayable than it already is.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I really wonder how playing as different families will work out, I can't believe this but I am really excited for this game and I haven't been excited for a Total War game since I touched the dog poo poo that was Empire.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

So Rome starts much smaller this time, but still has the three family system in place? Does that mean each family gets a province or two, or you own all of them but you choose which family that leads, Crusader Kings style?

Man, this is going to be so cool. Individualized tech trees and rosters, plus expanding the family mechanic might make the game even more replayable than it already is.

Well the map shows Rome with only four provinces so I'm HOPING that the family system is internal to the Roman faction, not like it was in the first RTW where each one was bacically its own faction allied with the others.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Am I the only person that really loved Napoleon? There's a lot of smack for it in this thread and others. I have put hundreds of hours into that game :shobon:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Flippycunt posted:

Well the map shows Rome with only four provinces so I'm HOPING that the family system is internal to the Roman faction, not like it was in the first RTW where each one was bacically its own faction allied with the others.

If it was the old Rome system, it could be 1 province for each faction, 1 province for the Senate.

Doubt it's that way, though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, if the Senate being a seperate entity in this game was a thing, I'm pretty sure they'd mention it since those purple-wearing politicians were a big thorn in your side in RTW1.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Clamps McGraw posted:

Am I the only person that really loved Napoleon? There's a lot of smack for it in this thread and others. I have put hundreds of hours into that game :shobon:

I thought Napoleon was generally well liked.

Speaking of Napoleon, is there any mod that improves campaign AI? I love the campaign of the coalition, but it's hard as Great Britain never does anything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Clamps McGraw posted:

Nope.

I enjoy Napoleon and have over 150 hours logged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I really, really hope they don't go back to the split Rome of Rome 1. It was just so weird.