Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Xenomorph posted:

Hmmm... I guess it's not the best info.
Actually, someone running a "previously jailbroken device" may be using a version of iOS that isn't even compatible with Absinthe / greenpois0n, so the rest of the instructions wouldn't be valid either (since the instructions mention nothing about updating).

I would only follow this guide:

1) Backup your device in iTunes.
2) Shift/Option-Restore to iOS 5.1.1.
3) Run Absinthe to jailbreak it.
4) "Restore from Backup" to put your data/apps/settings back on.

It works for jailbroken devices, non-jailbroken devices, and it doesn't matter if you're running iOS 4.x, 5.x, etc.

Doing it any other way is asking for trouble.
Running Absinthe when your device has all your data/apps/settings still on it risks losing something due to the way it shuffles things around. Many people found their camera rolls empty after the jailbreak. Since VPN is the vector for the exploit, it messes with those that actually use VPN (I have no less than 3 VPN profiles on all my iOS devices) - so that's why the device should be wiped first. However, mentioning "Erase all Content and Settings" is bad. It's not needed to wipe a device, and can get your device stuck at the Apple logo if you're jailbroken. There are actually tweaks on Cydia that DISABLE that button so people stop loving pushing it! (ResetAllKiller, recommended by Saurik himself as a featured tool)
Yea the OP definatley says to erase all. I'm glad I didn't do it yet. Can you explain point 2? How do you shift restore? I'm assuming it means to hold the shift key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

^^ Yeah it means hold shift when you click restore, it opens a window to pick a .ipsw file you've downloaded to restore from instead of getting the firmware from Apple's servers.

In all the googling I did trying to figure this out I discovered that the latest redsnow release works for 6.0 on an old bootrom 3GS, so I'm going with that. e: Hahaha the latest firmware is 6.0.1 so that's out too :suicide:

Should've done that from the start I guess, I just went to this thread's OP first because it usually has clearer instructions than the people who make this stuff tend to give ("do X" where X is their name for some multi-step process they assume you already know how to do, that kind of thing)

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 3, 2012

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Suaimhneas posted:

Should've done that from the start I guess, I just went to this thread's OP first because it usually has clearer instructions than the people who make this stuff tend to give ("do X" where X is their name for some multi-step process they assume you already know how to do, that kind of thing)
Hah yea, and it's also why I have been courting the idea for a week+ now. I just want to make sure I don't gently caress it up, and itunes and iphones are like so foreign to me for some reason.

Suaimhneas posted:

^^ Yeah it means hold shift when you click restore, it opens a window to pick a .ipsw file you've downloaded to restore from instead of getting the firmware from Apple's servers.
So I have to download an ipsw from the net? Or does iTunes save it automatically when you do a backup?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Physical posted:

So I have to download an ipsw from the net? Or does iTunes save it automatically when you do a backup?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Make sure you get the right one for the device you're using.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Suaimhneas posted:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Make sure you get the right one for the device you're using.
Why doesn't the OP mention this? I'm already running 5.1.1, but I'm assuming that the version I would download has the jailbreak-ness to it that the one on my phone does not, so it is in fact required.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I have this feeling I might be causing unnecessary confusion by thinking I know what I'm talking about now, while actually still missing something. I think I should let somebody else answer these questions.

Edit: well this is weird. I did successfully restore the phone to unjailbroken 4.2.1, but now I can't even do an official update to 6.0.1. It just gives me error 21 if the phone is in normal mode or in recovery mode (and kicks it into recovery mode if it wasn't already), or error 1600 if it's DFU mode. I've made sure the hosts file isn't redirecting it to Cydia, updated itunes to the latest version, tried turning off antivirus and firewall, tried restoring from a downloaded ipsw instead of using the update button, none of it works. I can restore it to 4.2.1 just fine every time, but it just refuses to update.

e2: :sigh: nevermind, tried it in a different USB port and now it's updating without a hitch. Christ, technology

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 3, 2012

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Anyone having issues with the new Remote iOS app and their jailbroken AppleTV's? Any time I start the remote app it causes the ATV to reboot.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I just bought a new 4S that came with iOS 5.0. It's never been jailbroken, is it at all possible to update it to 5.1.1 or should I just stick to 5.0? I doubt I'm losing anything major by not updating but just curious. If it helps, I have a JBed 5.1.1 3GS.

Edit: Hmm, it looks like I can't restore the new phone from backup because the iOS is too old. Any tips?

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 4, 2012

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Xenomorph posted:

I would only follow this guide:

1) Backup your device in iTunes.
2) Shift/Option-Restore to iOS 5.1.1.
3) Run Absinthe to jailbreak it.
4) "Restore from Backup" to put your data/apps/settings back on.

I have an unjailbroken iOS 5.1.1 iPhone, can I follow this guide (note i removed the step that has you poo poo-restore iOS 5.1.1)?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Physical posted:

I have an unjailbroken iOS 5.1.1 iPhone, can I follow this guide (note i removed the step that has you poo poo-restore iOS 5.1.1)?

If you're not jail broken, erase content and settings will work fine. So will erasing your device through icloud.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Ezrem posted:

If you're not jail broken, erase content and settings will work fine. So will erasing your device through icloud.
What is the advantage of doing it though?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Physical posted:

What is the advantage of doing it though?

No advantages. Again, I don't recommend erasing all content from the device.

- You're going to have to connect your iOS device to your computer anyway if you're wanting to jailbreak! Why not just wipe it with the computer?
- Don't get in the habit of using the built-in ease function. It can cause trouble later if you try it while jailbroken. If you've learned/conditioned yourself to use the built-in wipe any time something messes up, what if you "accidentally" do it when jailbroken?

These people remembered the "Erase all Content and Settings" function:

http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/105260/stuck-when-reset-setting
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/118864/closed-attempted-to-erase-all-content-and-settings
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/101791/erased-433-ipad-2-using-erase-all-content-and-settings
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/114333/how-to-recover-iphone3g-out-of-bootloop-after-reset
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/97644/erase-content-settings-freeze
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/106644/reset-all-settings-problem

Yeah, it works when running stock, but why even get into the habit of messing with it in the first place? Just forget you can wipe the device with anything but iTunes.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
What steps would be considered best practice in prepreation for a new jailbreak? Saving the SHSH blobs seemed important but it looks like Apple has changed things and saving them is useless now. The only other step is to back up via iTunes. Is that it?

Physical fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 5, 2012

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Oh ok I think I understand what the purpose of poo poo-restore is, it is to ENSURE that you are using iOS 5.1.1 and prevents iTunes from automatically updating you to 6, is that right? So even though I have 5.1.1 on my phone, I should still use the shift-restore option.

Xenomorph: you said wipe it via the computer, which procedure does that, is it the shift restore?

So here is my current game plan
Preperation:
1) Save the blobs (even though they are useless, I still want them saved locally just in case)
2) iTunes Backup

Jailbreakiing
1) Shift/Option-Restore to iOS 5.1.1
2) Run Absinthe to jailbreak it.
3) "Restore from Backup" to put your data/apps/settings back on.

In my phone's Settings->About->Version I have 5.1.1 (9B206) and am using a 4S so I would use this file "5.1.1 (4S): iPhone4,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw" It's the only one for 4S so that makes the choice easy, but how would I tell if I am CDMA or GSM (I'm on ATT and have a SIM card so it looks like GSM)?

Physical fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 5, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, the Restore option in iTunes is what I use to wipe.

Regarding the 4S and re-installing 5.1.1, I have not done that. I do not know the correct procedure for that. Cellular A5+ devices cannot be downgraded (such as the 4S), but a lateral 5.1.1 -> 5.1.1 install should be possible if you have your 5.1.1 SHSH blobs.

Make sure you find 4S-specific 5.1.1 install info, because the instructions for other/older devices may not work.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Just when I think I have things figured out :negative: I thought the SHSH blobs don't work anymore though?
http://absinthejailbreak.com/untethered-jailbreak-5-1-1-iphone-4s-4-3gs-absinthe-2-0/

quote:

Be aware, as things stand you cannot install 5.1.1 on your iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS IF Apple have closed the signing window on 5.1.1, even if you have saved SHSH Blobs. Make sure you get 5.1.1 installed before the window closes. For more details on SHSH Blobs.

So I have to get the jailbreak done before they stop signing 5.1.1, and even saving SHSH blobs doesn't circumvent this?

Or maybe I misunderstand how the process works. Since I already have 5.1.1 installed, I can grab the SHSH off of it right? If I was going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 I would be screwed since the 5.1.1 signing is over with (if I understand this right), thus never getting a 5.1.1 sign. But since I already have 5.1.1. I am good to grab the blob?

I'm not sure which one is the right answer.

Physical fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 5, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
From what I've read:

Pre A5 devices: anything goes. The limera1n exploit (hardware flaw) ensures you can install anything you want. This is achieved through the "pwnded DFU mode" (which was fixed on all A5+ devices). So yes, older devices can still downgrade from iOS 6.x to iOS 5, iOS 4, or even iOS 3.x (3GS).

iPad 2: Can reinstall the same iOS, or any other iOS if you downgrade to iOS 4.x. first (ie: iPad 2 at iOS 6.0.1 can install something like iOS 4.3.3, then upgrade to iOS 5.1.1).

Everything else: Only install 5.x if you are currently on iOS 5.x (5.1.1 -> reinstall 5.1.1).

All cases assume you have your SHSH blobs saved.

The Dev Team points out you can do these with redsn0w:

quote:

* restore from any 5.x iOS to any other (up, down or the same) 5.x iOS on all devices as long as you have the correct blobs

* directly restore pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware — no more complicated 15-step how-to’s with stitching, iTunes errors, and “hosts file” concerns

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

That's the actual Dev Team's words, not some random script kiddie from some lovely "absinthejailbreak.com" site.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Then it sounds like redsn0w is my only option. Which is confusing, because absinthe doesn't really make it clear that 4S 5.1.1 users wouldn't want to use it.

e: clarified 5.1.1 to 4S 5.1.1

Physical fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 5, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Physical posted:

absinthe doesn't really make it clear that 5.1.1 users wouldn't want to use it.

? Absinthe is for 5.1.1.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Oh I was reading the lovely absinthe jailbreak site you mentioned. However, It's the main hub for 4S 5.1.1. guides that come up in google search.

Xenomorph posted:

The Dev Team points out you can do these with redsn0w:
I thought you were alluding to the fact that with a 4S 5.1.1 you can do this with resn0w but not absinthe.

http://greenpois0n.com/?s=4s&x=0&y=0 This doesn't mentioning saving blobs, is it part of the guided process?

Physical fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 5, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Physical posted:

http://greenpois0n.com/?s=4s&x=0&y=0 This doesn't mentioning saving blobs, is it part of the guided process?

Apple isn't signing 5.1.1 anymore. You can't save blobs.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Nerdrock posted:

Apple isn't signing 5.1.1 anymore. You can't save blobs.
So what does that mean going forward, that I can't jailbreak? I can't get the 5.1.1 blob that is already on there?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Physical posted:

So what does that mean going forward, that I can't jailbreak? I can't get the 5.1.1 blob that is already on there?

You don't need SHSH blobs to jailbreak, you need them to install older firmware.

This is related to jailbreaking because older firmware is jailbreakable and iOS 6 isn't.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Right so it would be prudent for me to save my current blob correct? In case something goes wrong and I have to reinstall the firmware and I want a jailbroken phone, I would want to install 5.1.1 and that requires my old blobs right?

mewse
May 2, 2006

iFaith used to be able to pull blobs from a device, I dunno if it works with 4S 5.1.1

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

^ Maybe disregard everything I said then? I dunno!

Physical posted:

Right so it would be prudent for me to save my current blob correct? In case something goes wrong and I have to reinstall the firmware and I want a jailbroken phone, I would want to install 5.1.1 and that requires my old blobs right?

You don't seem to understand what SHSH blobs really are.

An SHSH blob is a signature sent by Apple whenever you install firmware on your iDevice that is UNIQUE to the combination of your iDevice and the firmware you are installing. Since Apple can and will stop signing blobs for certain firmwares (5.1.1 in your case), there are ways to request and save the signed SHSH blobs, but it's only possible while Apple is still signing blobs for that firmware. This means if you ever want to restore to an older firmware that is no longer having blobs signed and you never saved the signed SHSH blobs, you're poo poo outta luck - you can't.

If I'm reading your situation right: you have an unjailbroken 5.1.1 on hand right now, so you can jailbreak, but if you ever want to restore your phone to remove the jailbreak, you won't be able to restore to 5.1.1 since you don't have the signed 5.1.1 SHSH blobs, and will instead be forced to restore to iOS6, which doesn't have a jailbreak out yet, and thus be unable to jailbreak again (for now).

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Oh so Brawndo is saying that the only time to get the blob is to basically eavesdrop during the iOS install process.

I thought that I could pull the blob off the device, and according to mewse, iFaith might be able to do that.

In either case, I CAN jailbreak, but I sure as gently caress better not drop, runover, or get my phone stolen beacuse I won't be able to jailbreak the next one I get until iOS 6 is jailbroken.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Physical posted:

Oh so Brawndo is saying that the only time to get the blob is to basically eavesdrop during the iOS install process.

Yes, Cydia maintains a server that acts like a proxy and saves the blobs, whereas TinyUmbrella is desktop software that can query Apple's signing servers directly and save the blobs locally.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Physical posted:

I thought that I could pull the blob off the device, and according to mewse, iFaith might be able to do that.

In either case, I CAN jailbreak, but I sure as gently caress better not drop, runover, or get my phone stolen beacuse I won't be able to jailbreak the next one I get until iOS 6 is jailbroken.

For what it's worth Ifaith doesn't work on an IPhone 4s and it only works on the IPhone 4 up to 5.0.1

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Physical posted:

I don't think that's correct.

There's two ways I know of to get an SHSH blob:

1) iFaith could acquire a blob from an install up to iOS 5.0.1. (I've never done this.)

2) Ask Apple for it. You can acquire an SHSH blob when Apple is signing them (and they are signing quite a few right now, depending on your device). That has nothing to do with installing iOS (or jailbreaking), because you can get your SHSH blobs if you've never installed any version of iOS, never jailbroke, etc. TinyUmbrella (Mac / Win) or iSHSHit (iOS) are the easiest ways of doing this.

For example, if you give me your ECID right now, I can grab *your* SHSH blob for iOS 6.0.1 - without physically possessing your device or you installing iOS 6.0.1. I would simply send a query to Apple's servers with the ECID, and they would respond with "permission" (your unique SHSH blob) for the current iOS version for your device.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm a 4S user jailbreaking for the first time ever..

I am going to try and Absinthe my phone tomorrow, after backing everything up with iTunes. Are there any further backup steps I should take?

Any tips or tricks for the upgrade?

A big reason I'm doing this is for free tethering for use with my data plan.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Michael Scott posted:

I'm a 4S user jailbreaking for the first time ever..

I am going to try and Absinthe my phone tomorrow, after backing everything up with iTunes. Are there any further backup steps I should take?

Any tips or tricks for the upgrade?

A big reason I'm doing this is for free tethering for use with my data plan.
God speed. What version of iOS are you running?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a cydia tweak that adjusts sound profiles based on wifi networks?

At home I don't care if it rings loudly or not but when I go to work I work in a studio and it'd be nice for it to change to very low ring and vibrate.

But when I go back to the street (NYC) it'd be nice for my default 3G sound profile to be loud and vibrate so I don't miss anything during my travel.

As of now it's simple enough to adjust as needed but I like that cydia takes control of things and it'd be nice to not have to touch anything.

Thoughts?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Blimpkin posted:

Is there a cydia tweak that adjusts sound profiles based on wifi networks?

At home I don't care if it rings loudly or not but when I go to work I work in a studio and it'd be nice for it to change to very low ring and vibrate.

But when I go back to the street (NYC) it'd be nice for my default 3G sound profile to be loud and vibrate so I don't miss anything during my travel.

As of now it's simple enough to adjust as needed but I like that cydia takes control of things and it'd be nice to not have to touch anything.

Thoughts?

This looks like it might do the trick.

http://moreinfo.thebigboss.org/moreinfo/depiction.php?file=sbprofilesDp

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
drat that app does look like it'll do the trick but it's activation methods screen begs to differ? I'll try this when I'm not at work but it seems to not work.

http://i.imgur.com/weE0yl.jpg

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I'm about to be given a iPhone 3GS as a temp phone, I believe it's running some flavor of IOS 5 but I'm not totally sure. Is this unlockable?

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Ive got a 3GS thats jailbroken running some old OS (think its 4.2.1 or something), had it for ages. The power/lock button on it started getting temperamental and a few weeks ago the whole thing just turned off, and I couldn't get it back on, and the lock/power button doesn't work at all now.

I got a new work phone a day later anyways so it didn't matter, but I'd like to get my pics of it it possible. The lock button doesn't work at all, and when I plug it into my Mac it flashes up the apple logo for a few seconds, then goes black screen then repeats the logo/blackscreen over and over.

Is there anyway I can get my stuff of it?

Midnight- fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 8, 2012

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Evil Vin posted:

I'm about to be given a iPhone 3GS as a temp phone, I believe it's running some flavor of IOS 5 but I'm not totally sure. Is this unlockable?

Ok I got the phone it's running IOS 5.0.1 with 5.16.05 baseband. Googling for information on the correct way to this is way confusing since I come up with tons of old or conflicting info. What exactly should I be downloading?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Evil Vin posted:

Ok I got the phone it's running IOS 5.0.1 with 5.16.05 baseband. Googling for information on the correct way to this is way confusing since I come up with tons of old or conflicting info. What exactly should I be downloading?
It's going to be old info by definition. But try jailbreakmatrix.com it's usually pretty accurate and easy to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
An iPhone 3GS made after week 34 of in 2011 will brick if you try to unlock it via software (the real brick, not the stupid term some people use when they need to reinstall the OS - the radio is unusable).

quote:

If you have an iPhone3GS and if digits 3-5 of its Serial Number are 134 or later (xx134…), then you should NOT try to install the 06.15 baseband on your 3GS!
(http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/25350690843/0615-fun)

If the iPhone 3GS was made in 2009/2010, then you can unlock it via software.

If you find someone with an iPhone 3GS with the 6.15.00 baseband on it, tell them to get that stupid poo poo off there. It's a hosed/broken baseband (GPS cannot work while it is on there, and should only be used as a temporary step to load the appropriate/correct unlockable baseband), and if they have 6.15.00 on it, then the device can definitely load something else without issue.

If it's an AT&T iPhone 3GS, just pay the ~$5 to get it IMEI-unlocked.

• Locked thread