Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

This is a skill most of the people I know in the military have acquired.

That explains it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

grover posted:

:( Emirates even gives out a toothbrush and little stickers saying "wake for meal" and "do not disturb" you can stick on your headrest.

I've conditioned myself that I get tired and want to fall asleep as soon as I hit that seat, no matter what time of day, but I don't take it to chance when I *really* need to get some sleep to adjust to a new time zone.

I thought those stickers were for sticking on your face mask. Kinda like the destination post it you stick on your forehead on trains.

vulturesrow posted:

This is a skill most of the people I know in the military have acquired.

I wish.

I've fallen asleep in transport once, after a 4 day ex on the moors. Other than that, I can't sleep on planes, trains, buses, cars or motorbikes. It is admittably useful whilst in control, particularly with the motorbike.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

slidebite posted:

I wish. It's impossible for me to sleep in a sitting position.

You get really used to it when you have to fly a lot.

I never could, but since I do like 80k miles a year I can conk out pretty quick.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man you can put me on an airplane in the middle of the day and I'll fall asleep in thirty seconds, max.

Me also. 400HZ 270V whine puts me to sleep in no time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
You guys should ride in a helicopter at the end of a long day. It's like Nyquil.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plinkey posted:

Me also. 400HZ 270V whine puts me to sleep in no time.

I fly a lot of little short hops on Saab 340s and the dull hum of those CT7s just completely conk me out. It's like being back in the womb. While your mother was riding a half-assembled roller coaster made of shopping carts, granted, but still.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

D C posted:

You guys should ride in a helicopter at the end of a long day. It's like Nyquil.

Sitting in a Chinook is like being on a train except that you're being shook in a different direction. It's seriously sleep-inducing.

Regular air travel, yeah, puts me out pretty quick. Quicker if there's some turbulence.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Am I the only one who purposely schedules overnight flights? Alaska flies an overnight ANC-ORD that I try to get on whenever I go east of the Mississippi. It's over 500 miles out of my way to get on that plane but it avoids an overnight in SEA-TAC that I'd likely get stuck with anyway. I'd much rather conk out on a plane than during a layover.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SybilVimes posted:

What? Everyone knows that chemtrails started with the B17 raids on germany...

Just look at that glorious American chemical warfare!

e: for irony, that image came from a conspiritard blog that actually unironically believes that that image shows the 'USAF' using chemtrails against their enemies, thus proof of chemtrails being real!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Advent Horizon posted:

Am I the only one who purposely schedules overnight flights? Alaska flies an overnight ANC-ORD that I try to get on whenever I go east of the Mississippi. It's over 500 miles out of my way to get on that plane but it avoids an overnight in SEA-TAC that I'd likely get stuck with anyway. I'd much rather conk out on a plane than during a layover.
I take redeyes whenever I can, too- best way to deal with a long flight is to be unconscious the whole time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My only problem with redeyes is I get this really stupid urge to actually go in to the office on time the next morning, which is never good.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Screen Shots:

Please dont share these anywhere else.

D C fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 6, 2012

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Advent Horizon posted:

It's the only way to fly.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

D C posted:

Screen Shots:
Please dont share these anywhere else.

Holy poo poo, those are fantastic! Any more Buffalo stuff to share?

edit: is that the CL-215 that Joe decides to sell to Turkey ?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powercube posted:

Holy poo poo, those are fantastic! Any more Buffalo stuff to share?

edit: is that the CL-215 that Joe decides to sell to Turkey ?

I dont think so, they have a handfull of 215s, we got whatever one happened to be ready to go on that day.

The footage isnt for Ice Pilots, its another project, and the planes will be digitally repainted so I don't feel too guilty about posting those.

The DC3 is the only actually Buffalo branded plane we shot.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

D C posted:

I dont think so, they have a handfull of 215s, we got whatever one happened to be ready to go on that day.

The footage isnt for Ice Pilots, its another project, and the planes will be digitally repainted so I don't feel too guilty about posting those.

The DC3 is the only actually Buffalo branded plane we shot.

I'll check it out, I think it is- but you are right that they have a lot of them. Can't wait to see the digital repaints; then laugh at the fake regos.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powercube posted:

I'll check it out, I think it is- but you are right that they have a lot of them. Can't wait to see the digital repaints; then laugh at the fake regos.

Few more 215 just for you

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
They digitally repaint the planes for stuff? What....why? :psyduck:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Mike-o posted:

TV shows.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Oceanic Airways :lost:

I wonder what those are getting painted for.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mike-o posted:

Might be cheaper than repainting the real thing.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

A company I used to charter a CASA 212 through once leased it for filming of some movie and it got repainted with some sort of soap-based paint. It washed right off when they were done, but I have no idea what it cost (and this was over 10 years ago).

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Mike-o posted:

I'm guessing for the Canadian TV show "Arctic Air". Airs on CBC here.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bugsmasher posted:

I'm guessing for the Canadian TV show "Arctic Air". Airs on CBC here.

That show is still on the air? I watched the pilot and thought it was terrible, even beyond what we usually expect from Canadian TV dramas.

brains
May 12, 2004

Understeer posted:

This is a pretty good article from Boeing if you'd like to learn more about the 787's bleedless architecture.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_4_07/article_02_1.html

this is a really interesting design and i wish sikorsky (and by extension GE) would take a page from boeing on this one, especially the elimination of the bleed air system and this replacement for engine starters:

Boeing posted:

The 787's engine-start and APU-start functions are performed by extensions of the method that has been successfully used for the APU in the Next-Generation 737 airplane family. In this method, the generators are run as synchronous starting motors with the starting process being controlled by start converters. The start converters provide conditioned electrical power (adjustable voltage and adjustable frequency) to the generators during the start for optimum start performance.

Normally, both generators on the APU and both generators on the engine are used for optimum start performance. However, in case of a generator failure, the remaining generator may be used for engine starting but at a slower pace. For APU starting, only one generator is required.

The power source for APU starting may be the airplane battery, a ground power source, or an engine-driven generator. The power source for engine starting may be the APU generators, engine-driven generators on the opposite side engine, or two forward 115 VAC ground power sources. The aft external power receptacles may be used for a faster start, if desired.

it would yield some serious weight cuts as well as improve reliability since the UH-60 bleed-air start system in particular can struggle with hot-high starts after prolonged time in sandy environments.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haha, I'd love to know their reasoning behind the fighters carrying mind-control chemicals as well, or why (in other photos) German fighters are releasing chems over their own territory and citizens. I'm sure pilots who are overly concerned with the weight (speed and climbing ability) of their fighters wouldn't mind carrying a few hundred gallons of liquid that will in no way help them not get killed by enemy fighters or allow them to have a greater range/bombload/ammo.

Although I'm sure they'd say that the Nazi chems were to undo the US chems, or some such bullshit and the Luft pilots were made to carry them in their aircraft on pain of execution.

There is literally no way you can convince those kinds of loonies that their ideas are batshit insane, as they will continue to come up with even more insane justifications and counterpoints to your logic. I've tried and it eventually came down to "Alien magic did it!".

How do you reason with that?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I cannot sleep on a commercial flight to save my life. In fact, if you guys were going to hear about a passenger throwing a goddamn fit on a passenger flight, it is likely to be me. The amount of space carved out for someone is maddening. I'm by no means a big dude but knocking my elbows and knees constantly into the seat in front of me or banging on the armrest does something to my brain that makes me feel like I'm in a prison. My only recourse to salvage a flight is to get blind drunk before hand so I just end up passing out. It's an airport ritual for me to play "How Many Beers Can I Pound In 45 Minutes"

I sympathize so much for tall people on those flights.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Blistex posted:

Although I'm sure they'd say that the Nazi chems were to undo the US chems, or some such bullshit and the Luft pilots were made to carry them in their aircraft on pain of execution.

What? why else do you think the germans supported the Nazis? The very fact that WWII occurred is proof of chemtrails. They were developed by nazi scientists after all (who moved to the US as part of operation paperclip, hence the current gummit... make up your own crazy :tinfoil:)

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

brains posted:

two forward 115 VAC ground power sources. The aft external power receptacles may be used for a faster start, if desired.
As in independent circuits for each engine starter? Since they mention faster start in rear connections, I assume those are 220 VAC feeds for rest-of-world electrical connections outside NA/JP? The front ones dual-voltage? Can you even supply enough amperage at 115 VAC to start one of those engines (110VAC@15A ~= 2hp, if memory serves)?

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 7, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I volunteer to help people off the plane in case of an emergency and sit in the row with the emergency exit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

rscott posted:

I volunteer to help people off the plane in case of an emergency and sit in the row with the emergency exit.

757 emergency row right by the entry door. That's money right there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

There is literally no way you can convince those kinds of loonies that their ideas are batshit insane, as they will continue to come up with even more insane justifications and counterpoints to your logic. I've tried and it eventually came down to "Alien magic did it!".

How do you reason with that?

You don't. Chemtrails are one of the things that once I find out you're into, I'm done with you because you're loving insane and beyond help.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

EnergizerFellow posted:

As in redundant plugs on one circuit or independent circuits for each engine starter? Since they mention faster start in rear connections, I assume those are 220 VAC feeds for rest-of-world electrical connections outside NA/JP? The front ones dual-voltage? Can you even supply enough amperage at 115 VAC to start one of those engines (110VAC@15A ~= 2hp, if memory serves)?

115 VAC (along with 28 VDC) is the world standard for aircraft ground power. It's not like you're running an orange extension cord out to the aircraft either; most airliners have two 90kVA 115 VAC connectors (the 787 is different; I don't know how much but it's definitely more).

e: Just looked it up; the 787 has three 90kVA connections, and a much higher duty cycle requirement for the ground power equipment.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 7, 2012

brains
May 12, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

As in independent circuits for each engine starter? Since they mention faster start in rear connections, I assume those are 220 VAC feeds for rest-of-world electrical connections outside NA/JP? The front ones dual-voltage? Can you even supply enough amperage at 115 VAC to start one of those engines (110VAC@15A ~= 2hp, if memory serves)?
they must be referring to specialized ground equipment for receptacles direct to the aft electronics bay, since the article quoted mentioned the aft bay is all 235 VAC and the fwd is 115. 235 would definitely kick those engines over faster, haha.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

115 VAC (along with 28 VDC) is the world standard for aircraft ground power. It's not like you're running an orange extension cord out to the aircraft either; most airliners have two 90kVA 115 VAC connectors (the 787 is different; I don't know how much but it's definitely more).

e: Just looked it up; the 787 has three 90kVA connections, and a much higher duty cycle requirement for the ground power equipment.

don't forget the 3 phase 400hz.
I wonder how tolerant of bad ground power the 787s are going to be? It's got to the point where we run the APU on 777 turns just because the fault clearing you have to do when the lovely gate power drops off causes no end of headaches.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

HeyEng posted:

I cannot sleep on a commercial flight to save my life. In fact, if you guys were going to hear about a passenger throwing a goddamn fit on a passenger flight, it is likely to be me. The amount of space carved out for someone is maddening. I'm by no means a big dude but knocking my elbows and knees constantly into the seat in front of me or banging on the armrest does something to my brain that makes me feel like I'm in a prison. My only recourse to salvage a flight is to get blind drunk before hand so I just end up passing out. It's an airport ritual for me to play "How Many Beers Can I Pound In 45 Minutes"

I sympathize so much for tall people on those flights.
Protip: duty free liquor is often cheaper than buying it on the plane, and you don't have to wait for that stewardess to keep coming around. Also, TSA is letting you carry liquids through security checkpoints now at some airports with the proper equipment.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rscott posted:

A while ago this was an air-traveler secret, you could usually walk up to the counter at your gate and ask to change your seat to an exit row. Then everybody figured it out and now that's always the first seat to go.

I'm red-eyeing it out of Vegas one night. Drunk guy in a suit comes on board, spends 5 minutes trying to stick his carryon into the overhead, where it won't fit because it's too long. He never figures out that if he turns it 90 degrees it will fit just fine and leaves it sitting in the overhead sticking out into the aisle space. Then he sees the empty seat in the exit row and sits down.

Another few minutes, the lady with the actual ticket for that seat shows up, sees drunk guy sitting in her seat, asks him to move. He refuses. She gets a stew. Stewardess asks him to move, he refuses. She gets the captain. Captain tells him to move and get off the plane. He refuses. Captain calls the airport cops.

I'm pretty sure that at McCarran, the two cops who showed up are the default go-to for "getting drunk assholes off planes," because they are the two biggest cops I've ever seen, they're NFL-lineman big. One's so wide he has to turn sideways to fit down the aisle. I'm close enough to all this to hear them say to the guy "Look, you can either get up and come with us, or we can remove you." At this point drunk guy nods, stands up and walks off with them, leaving his carryon still sticking out of the overhead.

At this point we're 15 minutes late for departure. The captain gets on the intercom and says "Sorry for the delay, folks, but as you know from the ads, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

grover posted:

Protip: duty free liquor is often cheaper than buying it on the plane, and you don't have to wait for that stewardess to keep coming around. Also, TSA is letting you carry liquids through security checkpoints now at some airports with the proper equipment.

loving airport security. I buy a bottle of Cuban rum in Delhi, in the secure area of the airport, at the duty-free shop. I carry it with me to Heathrow, where we land, only to pass through another security checkpoint. Where they *confiscate my loving rum* because it's a larger volume of liquid than is permitted.

Proceed on into the concourse, oh look, another duty-free shop, carrying the exact same brand of rum. Airport security can get hosed.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 7, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah, I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam so normally sane people take pity on me and let me have the seat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IIRC, most aircraft power carts are 110vac 400hz, capable of doing about 200 amps.

Linedance posted:

don't forget the 3 phase 400hz.
I wonder how tolerant of bad ground power the 787s are going to be? It's got to the point where we run the APU on 777 turns just because the fault clearing you have to do when the lovely gate power drops off causes no end of headaches.

At my old airline, our DC-10s would happily chug along on whatever ancient, barely running POS power unit we could find. 380hz? Thats cool. 415hz? Also OK. Just plug that poo poo in.

An inbound MD-11 however, would cause a mad rush for a newer, electronically controlled GPU...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, most aircraft power carts are 110vac 400hz, capable of doing about 200 amps.

At my old airline, our DC-10s would happily chug along on whatever ancient, barely running POS power unit we could find. 380hz? Thats cool. 415hz? Also OK. Just plug that poo poo in.

An inbound MD-11 however, would cause a mad rush for a newer, electronically controlled GPU...

Our C-130s demanded we be within 10 hz above or below 400 Hz. We had one that wouldn't accept anything before 410 Hz. Weird planes, but I love working on them.