Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vegetable posted:

So there are double-barrelled surnames. What happens if two people with double-barrelled surnames marry each other? I imagine they really have only two options: choose either parent's surname or combine it into a four-barrelled one. Has there been an egalitarian yet elegant way of resolving this?

"Don't change either name" strikes me as more egalitarian than choosing one person's surname and more elegant than hyphenating all of them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
You can combine without hyphens: Antonio Villaraigosa, mayor of Los Angeles, combined his name (Villar) with his wife's (Raigosa).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
This might be better for an IT thread or something but I'll try here first. I'm not IT but our IT is two time zones away and not supportive of what we're trying to do.

At work I need to be able to regularly get a file off of an iPad and onto a computer. The program that makes the file (iAuditor) only exports to Dropbox or through email. The iPad is wifi only and we have no wifi at work, and I don't have the access to make an adhoc network or enable Bluetooth Internet sharing.

I figured out that if I tell it to export via email I can open up my drafts and see the PDF file. I can't open it though. If I could open it I could save it to Documents and file transfer it over that way (although its inconvenient and I don't know how they feel about me installing iTunes.)

Is there a way to open files that are saved to a draft of an email on iOS? Or is there some simpler solution I'm not thinking of?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Vegetable posted:

So there are double-barrelled surnames. What happens if two people with double-barrelled surnames marry each other? I imagine they really have only two options: choose either parent's surname or combine it into a four-barrelled one. Has there been an egalitarian yet elegant way of resolving this?

The way I've seen it done is that they create a new hyphenated name from the woman's matriarchal name and the man's patriarchal name. So Burns-Jones and Smith-Johnson would become Burns-Johnson or whatever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mescal posted:

Do you mean this generally or have a certain case in mind?

I'm pretty sure multiple last names among non-Hispanic folks is a recent development, so there's no complex historical rules about this. (Don't royalty usually have tons of names though?) So each person confronted with this problem makes their own decision, and I bet the best answer is obvious to them. How's that for egalitarian and elegant?
A double-barrelled surname seems like a good idea because it represents both parents' surnames equally, abandoning patriarchal convention. So I was just thinking if society eventually adopted this as the norm, it'd lead very quickly to a dead-end because insanely long surnames just aren't a thing in modern days anymore. I thought some egalitarian thinker out there might have already imagined this problem and conceived an elegant solution but apparently not.

ToxicFrog posted:

"Don't change either name" strikes me as more egalitarian than choosing one person's surname and more elegant than hyphenating all of them together.
I was talking about them in the context of them naming their kids. I don't think a married couple need to change their surnames - that I agree with.

CaptainViolence posted:

The way I've seen it done is that they create a new hyphenated name from the woman's matriarchal name and the man's patriarchal name. So Burns-Jones and Smith-Johnson would become Burns-Johnson or whatever.
That seems entirely arbitrary as a convention though.

Golbez posted:

You can combine without hyphens: Antonio Villaraigosa, mayor of Los Angeles, combined his name (Villar) with his wife's (Raigosa).

It's funny because I saw this on Wikipedia and realised it wouldn't work at all for Chinese surnames - which contain at most five characters and are almost all monosyllabic. So Wang and Li wouldn't square together. I imagine this is a problem for some other languages too.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 5, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Double barelled surnames (not in Spanish) came from the aristocracy. It was a way of showing pedigree, that you came from two rich old powerful families, so you're twice as well-bred as other people. It's egalitartian in context of gender, but it's a remnant of an archaic and pretty oppressive class system.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This might be better for an IT thread or something but I'll try here first. I'm not IT but our IT is two time zones away and not supportive of what we're trying to do.

At work I need to be able to regularly get a file off of an iPad and onto a computer. The program that makes the file (iAuditor) only exports to Dropbox or through email. The iPad is wifi only and we have no wifi at work, and I don't have the access to make an adhoc network or enable Bluetooth Internet sharing.

I figured out that if I tell it to export via email I can open up my drafts and see the PDF file. I can't open it though. If I could open it I could save it to Documents and file transfer it over that way (although its inconvenient and I don't know how they feel about me installing iTunes.)

Is there a way to open files that are saved to a draft of an email on iOS? Or is there some simpler solution I'm not thinking of?

If this is a one-time thing, the simplest solution is probably just to find some wi-fi. Can anyone's phone act as a wireless hotspot? Is there a coffeeshop somewhere nearby that you can take the iPad to long enough to send an email?

If you're expecting to need to do this repeatedly... getting wi-fi in the office is still probably the best solution overall.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
One of my college professors lamented that in hyphenated surnames, the woman's usually comes first and therefore, in a sense, replaces or serves as more of a middle name, and isn't egalitarian or progressive at all. I don't know enough, myself, to say she was onto something or just needed something to rail against. :holy:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Liebfraumilch posted:

One of my college professors lamented that in hyphenated surnames, the woman's usually comes first and therefore, in a sense, replaces or serves as more of a middle name, and isn't egalitarian or progressive at all. I don't know enough, myself, to say she was onto something or just needed something to rail against. :holy:

And if it went the other way, they'd be complaining that the man's name comes first and is therefore more important (alphabetizing, etc.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Powered Descent posted:

If this is a one-time thing, the simplest solution is probably just to find some wi-fi. Can anyone's phone act as a wireless hotspot? Is there a coffeeshop somewhere nearby that you can take the iPad to long enough to send an email?

If you're expecting to need to do this repeatedly... getting wi-fi in the office is still probably the best solution overall.

It'll be done repeatedly. I agree that wifi would be best, even if it was a really weak router and only served one room. We did have wifi but it kept going down so our horrifically overworked IT guy (one guy for about 10 locations) just ripped it out.

Right now I'm trying to explain to them that going to McDonalds every other day or so and using their wifi isn't exactly a great idea from a wireless security standpoint, let alone all the other reasons.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I was talking about them in the context of them naming their kids. I don't think a married couple need to change their surnames - that I agree with.

Aah. This is something my wife and I have discussed, actually, and the best we've come up with so far is "sons get dad's name, daughters get mom's".

quote:

That seems entirely arbitrary as a convention though.

Well, yes, but how is it any more arbitrary than "children always get mom's/dad's surname" or any other naming convention?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've always thought it made more sense for children to have the mother's name since matrilineal descent is the easiest to "prove," per se.

Edit: Excepting non-biological children, obviously.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I heard a story on the radio (probably NPR) just this summer about this last name thing. Some people picked one from each, or combined two names into one, or mashed everything together. But my favorite was where they agreed to pick just one name from the four, so they went with the one that had pretty much ended in their close family, to bring it back.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My parents just flipped a coin.

Which is awkward because I was the only one to get my mom's name and no one believes my dad is my dad.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I was flipping through the channels the other day and saw part of an interview with the comedian Richard Lewis. I was pretty surprised by this, since I thought he was dead. Is there another comedian who looks similar I might be confusing him with?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Richard Jeni?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Would it be possible to have a custom ad in a very popular youtube video (that you made) that linked to your amazon affiliate cookie?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So, I've had the same watch for, like, I don't even know how long. Its strap just snapped off at the base, next to the face.

Is repairing it a thing, beyond the obvious options of seeing what super-glue can do? Like, is there such a thing as someone fixing the strap?

It's a lovely Timex so whatever, but I'm a little sad to see it go considering how long I've had it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, I've had the same watch for, like, I don't even know how long. Its strap just snapped off at the base, next to the face.

Is repairing it a thing, beyond the obvious options of seeing what super-glue can do? Like, is there such a thing as someone fixing the strap?

It's a lovely Timex so whatever, but I'm a little sad to see it go considering how long I've had it.

If it's a Timex it probably has those little stainless steel spring things holding the strap to the watch. You can buy replacements anywhere you can buy watches and you just have to use a needle or part of a pen or something to collapse the spring and get the old strap off.

Or at least that's how I remember it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Q2Y6FBsOI

I'm probably gonna get fishmeched hard for misunderstanding your question and having my words RE: replacement not match the intent of the video here.

There is definitely a solution out there so don't throw away an old watch like that dad in Watchmen. :ohdear:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

Richard Jeni?

That's the only person who comes to mind, but of course he doesn't look anything like Richard Lewis.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'd be surprised if it could be fixed in any way that would be secure. Replacement straps can be had for not much money though, so you should be able to get a new one on without much trouble. I had one of these for a long time. It was very easy to put on, and the watch died before the strap wore out.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

tarepanda posted:

I've always thought it made more sense for children to have the mother's name since matrilineal descent is the easiest to "prove," per se.

Edit: Excepting non-biological children, obviously.

But that's a reason to use the father's name. We know who the mom is, so this is a way to formalize paternity.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

No, sorry, the strap itself snapped off, not that its fixture broke.

It was a failing of the leather itself.

But yeah, I'd prefer not to replace it, but I'd rather not spend more than the cost of a new watch. Even though it was a Christmas present from my sister like 8 years ago and it was with me when I lived abroad and has outlasted like 6 girlfriends and has been god drat invincible and gently caress I love that watch. Yes, I am that guy who gets attached to inanimate objects.

Edit : I should add that I'm a picky bitch and only like leather straps. Because I don't know I'm dumb.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

But yeah, I'd prefer not to replace it, but I'd rather not spend more than the cost of a new watch. Even though it was a Christmas present from my sister like 8 years ago and it was with me when I lived abroad and has outlasted like 6 girlfriends and has been god drat invincible and gently caress I love that watch. Yes, I am that guy who gets attached to inanimate objects.

Edit : I should add that I'm a picky bitch and only like leather straps. Because I don't know I'm dumb.

Even within leather straps there's a huge amount of variation (like, $10 at the low end to multiple hundreds at the high end) depending on what kind of leather it is, how it's finished, how it's made, etc. You can almost certainly find an inexpensive but comfortable leather strap that fits your watch, as long as you aren't set on having a hand-crafted shark leather strap trimmed with gold thread or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, but, like, is there a store that does that?

I admit I might be a complete idiot* and just not understanding. I just don't even know where I go from here.

*Well, I am, obviously, but I mean in this instance.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My first stop would probably be the watch counter at a department store, or failing that, a jewelry store that sells watches. If they don't sell straps, they can probably tell you who does.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I admit I might be a complete idiot* and just not understanding. I just don't even know where I go from here.

Pretty much any store that sells watches also sells watch straps. I generally go to Sears because there's one conveniently close to me, but most department stores and jewelery stores carry them. You can also order them online in various places, just googling "watch straps" or "watch bands" should turn up a bunch.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

stubblyhead posted:

That's the only person who comes to mind, but of course he doesn't look anything like Richard Lewis.
Jerry Lewis? He's not dead either though.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Last time I went to a Wal-Mart to get watch batteries they had about 50 different kinds of watch bands on display. Also, Amazon has like 2,000 pages of watch bands.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Okay, good. I'm just dumb and didn't know that.

Sorry, I didn't start wearing a watch until this one and it's been going strong the whole time, so that there was watch repair beyond the actual watch was completely opaque to me.

Thank you guys so much! I'll swing by somewhere on my way to work tomorrow.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read here that the Screen Actor's Guild fines movie producers for casting a non-union member in a primary role. How are they able to do this?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

I read here that the Screen Actor's Guild fines movie producers for casting a non-union member in a primary role. How are they able to do this?
If they don't pay SAG will blacklist them which means nobody will ever work for them again.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That sounds kinda like extortion. What is their legal basis?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

There isn't one. That's how unions work. You gently caress with the union, they go on strike and you lose money. You do it too much and they tell their members not to work with you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Bifford posted:

You can't force actors to work for you, so when they say "we won't work for you if you do X" then you just don't do X.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
So recently I got banned on here, but I paid and got unbanned but I cant use the search function anymore? Why Is that...

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Smashlampjaw posted:

So recently I got banned on here, but I paid and got unbanned but I cant use the search function anymore? Why Is that...

If you get banned, you also lose all account upgrades (ie platinum which allows searching) except for archives.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
So I bought this:

Anyone have any clue what it is?

It is made of iron.

It appears hand-painted.

It is flat except for two prongs on the back.

The only word I can make out is "William..." on the seal on the right. That trails off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vegetable posted:

You can just pick an entirely new name. Like, if Max Smith marries Sam Jones they could become Sam and Max Grabthar and give their kids that name. Or keep their original names and still give their kids the Grabthar surname. You can pretty much do whatever you want with your own or your kids' names.

Baron Bifford posted:

In order to join the SAG you have to agree to not appear in any film that isn't sanctioned by the SAG, which means that any filmmaker who wants to cast SAG members has to agree to the SAG rules which means they can only use SAG actors.

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
(I don't think there's any sort of retail store question thread anymore is there?)

So yesterday I went shopping for groceries at Stop & Shop. They have a rewards card thing where a lot of stuff is sometimes cheaper with the card. I have a card, and this time most the stuff I bought was on sale, and I specifically bought large quantities of some stuff due to it being on sale which would have resulted in 25-30% savings total. Then I forgot to use my card at checkout and the cashier never asked me for it. I realize it's sort of my fault, but this is the first time I was never asked for a card at this store, and it's right on my keychain so there's no reason I wouldn't have given it to her.

If I went back to the store today with my receipt would there be any chance of getting any money back for the difference? Has anyone been in this situation? I'm not sure why but it's bothering me a ton.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Obdicut posted:

Anyone have any clue what it is?

At a guess I'd say a kitschy bootjack, though I don't really know how big it is. Could you fit the heel of a shoe into the horns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Baron Bifford posted:

There's probably a collective bargaining agreement between the union and the movie studios. For example, I used to be a Teamster at UPS. The union and UPS come up with a new contract every few years determining wages and benefits, hiring practices, etc.