Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

ought ten posted:

Any chance she's going to offer classes? I need to learn to wheelie my DRZ.

In first gear, apply throttle going about 10mph and loft the front wheel. Repeat until you are comfortable.

In second gear, go about 20mph, let off the gas and then yank on the bars and gas it. Do this until you can wind out the gear, then practice shifting to 3rd.

There's no secret. If you can't do it it's because you're holding back and afraid to dump the bike or you're aren't getting it all the way up to the balance point.

First gear on the drz feels kind of short and I was always more comfortable pulling it up in 2nd and eventually learned to click it to 3rd. Just keep doing it over and over, you'll become more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yours is a plated E so it has a bit more poke than a standard sm.

The best thing for her to do is drag the rear brake a bit and modulate the clutch when pulling off, keeping the throttle steady, a big twist on the FCR sprays a shot of petrol from the accelerator pump so sudden throttle inputs can be unpredictable for someone that's used to CV carbs or FI.
That and scooch up to the front of the bike
Once she's done it a couple times she'll get the feel for the clutches biting point and it'll just be another bike to ride.

edit: I prefer to clutch up my drz in first and second, i find doing it on the throttle means you end up going pretty fast before you realise it
In third it comes up on the throttle nice and gently with a little bit of a bounce on the bars.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 6, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't get how people can't wheelie their drz. If there is any sort of elevation change in the road I have to try to keep mine down, even in second. That's to say nothing of clutching one up or just smacking the throttle open in first.

Mine isn't even modified either. Stock carb with jet kit and 3x3 and stock exhaust

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mine's a modded E and tbh I haven't counted the teeth on the sprockets since I bought it last spring. So I'm not totally sure what I'm working with. But in general I've never been blown away by omg torque in first.

Also I'm a big wimp.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't get how people can't wheelie their drz.

How much do you weigh?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just bought my drz halfway through last season, but I've only gotten the front up once, and that was on accident and it scared the hell out of me.

Maybe its the awful Corbin seat that slides my butt way forward so I'm constantly hugging the tank

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I just bought my drz halfway through last season, but I've only gotten the front up once, and that was on accident and it scared the hell out of me.

Maybe its the awful Corbin seat that slides my butt way forward so I'm constantly hugging the tank

We need a support group for DRZ riders who haven't yet wheelied across the roof of a cop car.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

soy posted:

How much do you weigh?

250 geared up.

It will wheelie with me all the way up to the tank, either way.

It's really about being at the right rpm. Some people just think "thumper" when they think drz, and expect it to make all its power at idle. The drz needs to be spun up a bit to make power

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Update to my questions about visibility stuff.

I ordered some [KTM?] orange 3m scotchlite tape, about 2ft of 3m SOLAS tape, the DRC Edge 2 light, and just for fun the Universal Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher.

All together, it wasn't terribly expensive, and hopefully it improves visibility.

Now for the fun stuff. What shapes/things should I put on my helmet?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Big floppy dong.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

250 geared up.

It will wheelie with me all the way up to the tank, either way.

It's really about being at the right rpm. Some people just think "thumper" when they think drz, and expect it to make all its power at idle. The drz needs to be spun up a bit to make power

I dunno about all that. Mine wasn't even geared down and it would still really only come up while lugging it in second. No way you're doing anything but looking dumb trying to get it off the ground in 3rd. It took me a while to figure out why the hell the thing won't come up in 2nd either until I realized I really needed to be down low in the revs to get it to lift up. Once I figured that out it was all good from there and it's actually incredibly predictable when you wanted to lift it.

If anything, other people got on my bike and expected it to be like a sportbike where you need to be going relatively fast before it has enough power to lift up the front. They were sorely disappointed.

In other news, I'm looking at trading my R6 for a bored out / farkled DRZ again. I hope it goes through, my only complaint with the DRZ before was it was lacking power. This should make trips to the twisties wayyy more fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DO IT. ONE OF USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I was never pulled over even once on the old DRZ despite being an absolute retard at all times. I've been pulled over 5 times on the R6 for stupid poo poo like a license plate light / location, etc.

This leads me to believe it is necessary to swap back to a supermoto again. I really, really wish I could afford to blow money on a converted 450. Maybe someday :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cops look for sportbikes, as they are pretty stereotypically the most likely to be speeding or wheelieing or whatever.

Despite the fact that I've wheelied more on my two DRZs than anything else I've ever owned, so I like that stereotype.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I can't even enjoy sportbikes anymore, as soon as I get on the highway and give it some gas I just get paranoid and start staring behind me for cops. However, cops were never around in the parking lots and poo poo where I'd go and wheelie the DRZ.

I need another.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Pretty much since the day I sold my DRZ, I've been wanting another supermoto. My main concerns are reliability and cost of operation over power as the bike will mainly be a commuter. This bike seems to be somewhere in the middle of that considering the mileage.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/3448196384.html

I'm sold on the WR250X, I've been wanting one forever and have already rode a couple and understand that they are low on power. This one has a lot of mods, and 16k miles, which the internet says isn't a lot for these motors. I know I can talk him down on the price. What do you guys think? I'm tempted for the fact I wouldn't have to put any money in mods into it, yet I might find myself replacing an engine in the near future if it's been beat on.

The same guy was selling this bike last year around this time with 11k miles on it. I almost bought it then but hesitated and it was pulled from craigslist, it looks like he kept it and rode it all summer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats actually a really decent price for that bike around here. I'd still see if you can get him down on what appear to be self-painted black sidecovers. You can see them bubbling in one of the pictures.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
Hella good price, especially with the muffler, header, PCV, etc. Hell, I'd buy it from under you for asking price if I hadn't just bought one two weeks ago. And don't worry about what the internet says about power until you butt-dyno it - yes, it's not going to make power like a motocrosser or a 450 sumo, but it's still a wicked-fun stuntable or dirtable (or both!) super-reliable bike.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Did they get the fuel pump issues sorted? My only experience with the wrx's is changing fuel pumps when they randomly won't start. They are a blast to ride tho.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Great, thanks for the advice. I'm moving forward on it, if I end up with it I'll let you guys know. I can't wait to be back on a supermoto.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I can't wait to be back on a supermoto.

This should be the thread title. Its inevitably what everyone says after they sell their supermotos.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I got my DRZ back today! Big bore kit installed 434 cc's of fury, wootwoot! It feels like it's definitely got a bit more grunt. I'm so glad to finally have it back, I was without for 2 months and it was all like :negative:

I ended up shelling out about $850 for all the work + parts.

Have some busted bike part pics. I was only making 40PSI compression.

Edit:
Goddamnit!

http://s1048.beta.photobucket.com/user/Poniesatemybagel/library/Oil%20leak

The bike seems empty of oil and as you can see in the photo album, my rear wheel is absolutely coated in oil as is the rest of my bike. The cylinder is completely clean. Just sent the shop an email, I'm pretty fookin pissed right now.

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 12, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This should be the thread title. Its inevitably what everyone says after they sell their supermotos.

That's the thing about supermoto's, you always want one. I'm selling the CRF and already shopping for a WRX.

Race motards are fun but so are motards you can commute on and not worry about blowing up and counting hours to the next oil change and valve check.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Race motards are fun but so are motards you can commute on and not worry about blowing up and counting hours to the next oil change and valve check.

This should be the title of every thread at Supermotojunkie

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've got my eye on a DRZ with some nice mods, 434, FCR, etc. I'm pretty excited to see what one with a bit more power feels like. My first guess would be "jail time".

Then again, I managed to not attract attention on the old DRZ by doing all my dumb poo poo out of the sight of the police.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I installed the DRC Edge 2 tail light and Custom LED brake light flasher. No videos of the flasher functioning, but this tail light is ten times brighter than what I had, and I think the flasher module will stand out even more.

Installation took a few hours 'cause I was going slow and had to fabricate a little bracket and do a little re-wiring since Harbor Freight spade connectors are garbage.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I didn't get my sister on the DRZ, but I did take it/her out last weekend. My CB400 decided to give up on it's clutch cable, but it was still a fun ride.

Few minor wheelies, and a wee powerslide. I was amazed at how composed I was when they happened. Noted that the front wheel was twisted when it came up, calmly straightened it. Powerslide, hold throttle and steering inputs, kick out the other side and attempt to catch up with the others. Poor little DRZ doesn't seem to do much over 80mph.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welcome to Endoville. Population: ME

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Who makes that rotor/relocator? Braking?

Looks like you got it used? I like EBC's stuff because they're cheap as hell, but they're definitely "racing" type setups, removeable shims on the buttons, etc. Something more street oriented would be rad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Braking. Used for a month before he decided to part out the bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Super pissed because I think I bought a knock-off braking rotor. The real braking rotor looks like this

And has the braking logo and a minimum thickness of 4.25 stamped on it

The one I got looks like this very chinese rotor with no braking logo and a min thickness of 4mm stamped on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Set-Ya...=p2047675.l2557

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Super pissed because I think I bought a knock-off braking rotor. The real braking rotor looks like this

What's the worst that could happen? (disaster)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's OK, DRZ isn't a real supermoto!

...that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Paypal/CC charge back?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I was thrown off by the lack of a logo on there...it definitely should be stamped.

I'd probably do a chargeback and then go experiment with it in a big, wide open place with a lot of gear on. I've always wanted to mess with the chinese knockoff stuff.

PB did a review of cheap chinese stuff (including rotors) recently and showed measurably poorer performance on the knockoff rotors...sometimes upwards of a 10% longer braking distance from OEM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I paid through paypal to an individual, so I can probably just dispute the charge, no?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Paypal's gonna want you to contact the seller and/or send it back. I'd contact the guy and try and get a refund.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, the relocator is a real braking relocator, which made me think the whole thing was a braking setup, especially since the rotor is a copy of the braking supermotor rotor.

The seller has annoyingly already pointed out to me that it was listed as simply "A 320mm rotor with a Braking caliper relocator" and he's all buyer beware on me. I suppose technically he is correct, but thats lovely

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

SMJ? You can still call him out for being a lovely seller but ya your probably hosed.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Do you think it'll be that bad? I'd at least try it out and see... Are you running EBC's or some other better than stock pad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Go to paypal and dispute it. Item not as described. And call him out on the forum as well.

• Locked thread