Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

Is tipping in the Midwest different than on the coasts?

Asking this as a stupid foreigner.

Do you tip hair dressers?

I tried to tip a guy who pumped the gas, but he didn't seem to expect it - are there some service people you tip and some you don't?

Do you tip busdrivers? What about lifeguards at a pool? Front desk at hotel? The maid?

Asking because I read something confusing...

I think I may be erratically rude when stateside..

Is over tipping considered rude there as well?

And no - this shouldn't be a discussion on the merits of tipping!

Oh finally - do you tip in Canada too?

tip bartenders, waiters, cook staff, valet staff, taxi drivers, staff who physically helps you with poo poo at hotels, hairdressers, and whores

pretty sure that's a definitive list of 'who to tip' that will keep you out of trouble. if in doubt, ask! preferably as hilariously awkwardly as possible. and then leave like 1 dollar. they'll chalk it up to you being happy hat and you'll get away scott free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mediaphage posted:

People do not tip nearly as much in Canada, I find.

Mostly because canadians pay their service people something approaching fair to begin with, whereas in the states it's $fuckyou/hour.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wear a Danish flag sweater so that people know you are a foreigner and they will be more understanding of potential awkwardness. If things are not going well and you are concerned about making a bad name for your country, wear a German flag sweater.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Initially I wanted to make this a thread of its own, but it might have limited appeal and would fit better here. The question is:

What has cooking done for you?
I started getting interested in cooking real food in 2008. I'd just gotten out of a short relationship where all dinners were somewhat cooked from the ground up. Prior to that, I'd been living on instant rice, chicken and powdered bearnaise sauce. After that ordeal, I wondered what it took to make a real sauce, soup or stew from scratch. A few youtube videos later and I was hooked. I had to know what technique to chop an onion or a carrot, and after many iterations I also learnt the flavors.

4 years later I feel confident in cooking a piece of meat by touch, potatoes or some pasta. No longer am I following the cooking instructions, instead, I'm recognizing that it's done. I'm not shunning a meat ball cooked pink, and definately not a rare piece of tenderloin. I also feel that I can improvise to a larger extent, when I know how ingredients will react or complement eachother.

All of this is not just because of GWS, but it's been a great inspiration for me to get out of the food hell that was once my life, and for that I thank you GWS. Sorry, GWC!

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Yawgmoth posted:

Mostly because canadians pay their service people something approaching fair to begin with, whereas in the states it's $fuckyou/hour.

Pretty much, afaik very few places in Canada allows service staff to be paid any less than the standard min wage (and most of my waiter/waitress friends make at least a buck or two over it here, (to way over it for fancier places)) Even in cases where it's a two tier like Alberta I think the difference for tip earners is less than a buck (last I heard it was 9.75 in Alberta and 9.05 for people who serve booze?) and that's in our biggest "gently caress you poor people" province.

Also, wtf... tipping chat again?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Wear a Danish flag sweater so that people know you are a foreigner and they will be more understanding of potential awkwardness. If things are not going well and you are concerned about making a bad name for your country, wear a German flag sweater.

Percentage of Americans who could tell the two flags apart: <5%

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

How do you guys deal with family that are super picky eaters? I get to be in charge of Christmas this year and I would really love to do a fantastic dinner but my family are really lovely about what they eat.

Examples:

One of my aunts refuses to eat meat at all if it has even the teeniest bit of pink to it, to the point where she refused to eat a meatloaf that was a bit pink (even after I showed her the temperature with the kitchen thermo) and microwaved it until it was grey. :smith:

My sister will eat what you give her as long as none of the ingredients sound "weird", but the moment she hears an ingredient she "doesn't like" (even though she has eaten and enjoyed that ingredient before) she gets really sulky about eating it.

90 percent of my family absolutely refuse to try ingredients that they haven't had before, as well. If it's not the same meatloaf recipe, same tinned sauce in a can and grey ground beef recipe or shoe leather hamburgers, they tend to get lovely. There was even a point where some of them refused to eat chili that was exactly the same as the chili I usually make with the exception of substituting chicken for beef.

I don't want to make the same ham with potatoes and green jello that we have every year. :smith:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Give them what they want.

I know it's exciting to share your passion with your family but it's their holiday too. You're going to be frustrated that nobody likes your (correctly made) food and they're going to be frustrated from being pushed outside their comfort zone. You will both be let down by the experience. Save your sanity and cook the least offensive and boringest holiday meal. After that's done with invite friends who will actually appreciate your efforts so you can have the grand ole time you deserve.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

You can have a combination of good and boring side dishes and deserts, so that at least a few of the picky eaters will enjoy it with you, and the rest of them aren't going to starve. Also, I would be really tempted to point out how pink ham is at a dinner.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:smith: I just hate having to cook the same loving honeyed ham and stupid green jello and potatoes every single time there's a family gathering. I'd love to cook something that's still simple but would at least be different, like chicken or stew or something.

I wish I could just shake them and make them understand that kid foods are not the be all end all of food. It's like trying to feed a bunch of sheltered four year olds.

Ham and potatoes it is

E: I could do that, I guess. It's just really frustrating because if I don't tell them what it is, they'll eat it happily and not question it as long as I just slap it on a plate and don't make it look "threatening". Although how a simple cheese bread looks threatening is beyond me.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 5, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I enjoy tipping cows. Does that count?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

:smith: I just hate having to cook the same loving honeyed ham and stupid green jello and potatoes every single time there's a family gathering. I'd love to cook something that's still simple but would at least be different, like chicken or stew or something.

I wish I could just shake them and make them understand that kid foods are not the be all end all of food. It's like trying to feed a bunch of sheltered four year olds.

Ham and potatoes it is

E: I could do that, I guess. It's just really frustrating because if I don't tell them what it is, they'll eat it happily and not question it as long as I just slap it on a plate and don't make it look "threatening". Although how a simple cheese bread looks threatening is beyond me.

Find out what they like. My father in law is kind of picky but after a while I figured out that it was mostly that he struggled with things that he couldn't identify with. So he'd default to meat and potatoes because he knew those things were filling food-meals.

So I started paying attention to what he ordered in restaurants, or what he'd pick when we would all get Chinese food, and then made those things for him. Once he got that I was an okay cook he started eating basically anything I made and now we get pho at least once a month.

Probably it helps that he's a rad dude but seriously just make slightly better (not fancy or anything) versions of what they already recognize, if you make food a challenge people will reject you outright.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Wait.. does the potatoes get set in the jello?

Seconding Charmmi... It is a holiday - just make it as enjoyable for everybody as possible..

Then secretly go out into the kitchen and eat your rabbit confit while shedding tears of shame over your family...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Casu Marzu posted:

I enjoy tipping cows. Does that count?

Well, pr0k's mom does a helluva job, but please, no size-shaming.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Gourd of Taste posted:

Find out what they like. My father in law is kind of picky but after a while I figured out that it was mostly that he struggled with things that he couldn't identify with. So he'd default to meat and potatoes because he knew those things were filling food-meals.

So I started paying attention to what he ordered in restaurants, or what he'd pick when we would all get Chinese food, and then made those things for him. Once he got that I was an okay cook he started eating basically anything I made and now we get pho at least once a month.

Probably it helps that he's a rad dude but seriously just make slightly better (not fancy or anything) versions of what they already recognize, if you make food a challenge people will reject you outright.

My problem is that they order the exact same thing in every resturaunt we go to. My sister will always get either hamburger or popcorn shrimp. My mom will get some sort of steak and potatoes or boneless bbq wings. My mean aunt will get some sort of either chicken sandwich or the blandest thing on the menu. My grandmother will get anything that's either been smothered in poorly cooked onions or grease. If we go to an "ethnic" (read tex mex or bland Chinese buffet) everyone will get a burrito or fried rice and beef/broccoli stir fry. My sister might be adventurous and get sushi if she can find a salmon roll.

They also will not eat anything if it differs even slightly from what they're used to, such as when I made chili using chicken instead of ground beef, or when I made grilled garlic chicken instead of breaded fried garlic chicken. They will not try ingredients they do not recognize (like nutmeg or ginger).

I'm honestly not trying to make anything fancy because I'm not that experienced, I'm just trying to make healthier choices as far as ingredients and I'm also trying to wean them away from the same three recipes over and over and over again.

Also no, the potatoes do not get put in the jello. The jello is green jello with canned pears in it and covered in cream cheese. The potatoes cannot have any skin at all and must not contain anything other than potatoes and butter. The one time I put bits of bacon innit no one ate it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

My problem is that they order the exact same thing in every resturaunt we go to. My sister will always get either hamburger or popcorn shrimp. My mom will get some sort of steak and potatoes or boneless bbq wings. My mean aunt will get some sort of either chicken sandwich or the blandest thing on the menu. My grandmother will get anything that's either been smothered in poorly cooked onions or grease. If we go to an "ethnic" (read tex mex or bland Chinese buffet) everyone will get a burrito or fried rice and beef/broccoli stir fry. My sister might be adventurous and get sushi if she can find a salmon roll.

They also will not eat anything if it differs even slightly from what they're used to, such as when I made chili using chicken instead of ground beef, or when I made grilled garlic chicken instead of breaded fried garlic chicken. They will not try ingredients they do not recognize (like nutmeg or ginger).

I'm honestly not trying to make anything fancy because I'm not that experienced, I'm just trying to make healthier choices as far as ingredients and I'm also trying to wean them away from the same three recipes over and over and over again.

Also no, the potatoes do not get put in the jello. The jello is green jello with canned pears in it and covered in cream cheese. The potatoes cannot have any skin at all and must not contain anything other than potatoes and butter. The one time I put bits of bacon innit no one ate it.

That sounds horrible. I would make something delicious and tell them to gently caress off and make their own lovely dinner if they didn't like it. But that's me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drink and Fight posted:

That sounds horrible. I would make something delicious and tell them to gently caress off and make their own lovely dinner if they didn't like it. But that's me.

yeah, just let them cook the lovely food they want, and you can eat some of it if you like - but then just cook yourself something more interesting, and they can eat some of it if they like. problem solved.

rabbit rillettes

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Also no, the potatoes do not get put in the jello. The jello is green jello with canned pears in it and covered in cream cheese.

Please... please... please... document this when you make it!

Edit: Also - that is 2 suggestions for rabbit confit - you need to do this!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Please... please... please... document this when you make it!

Edit: Also - that is 2 suggestions for rabbit confit - you need to do this!
yes, pictures please of this delicious treat.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

^^^^ It is just as gross as it sounds. You should also see the lovely "salads" they make. My mom isn't that bad, but she also doesn't really go out of her way to try things, either.

I should eventually make a thread of the poo poo my family makes, and then do my improved versions once Christmas has happened and school isn't too busy.

Stuff my family makes for special occasions:

-Green jello with canned pears and cream cheese
-Fruit "salad" with whipped cream mixed innit
-"Cucumber salad" which is just chopped cucumbers that are cut and then put in a bowl that is half tepid tap water and half lovely apple vinegar from walmart two minutes before dinner is served.
-Chicken that is dropped without seasoning into veggie oil and water first thing in the morning and cooked all day without any sort of interaction at all until spooned out in glistening grease globs.

Luckily I had my mom and my nice aunt to teach me how to cook non grease soaked foods.

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Well the jello sounds fine. But you have to be careful with the cream cheese or else you'll end up too heavy for a bathing suit by the time the lake thaws out. Of course at my age you don't have to worry about that, hahaha!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

Well the jello sounds fine. But you have to be careful with the cream cheese or else you'll end up too heavy for a bathing suit by the time the lake thaws out. Of course at my age you don't have to worry about that, hahaha!

:3:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Pffft, I've seen older women than you in two-pieces, Mrs. Gunderson! I'm sure your niece(?) could help you out with finding a lovely swim costume.

-Chicken that is dropped without seasoning into veggie oil and water first thing in the morning and cooked all day without any sort of interaction at all until spooned out in glistening grease globs.

Luckily I had my mom and my nice aunt to teach me how to cook non grease soaked foods.
What?! That just broke my brain. Is it boiled in veg oil and water all day? What is happening to that chicken gahhh :psyduck:

I was never really exposed head on to strange salads until having dinner with my boyfriend's family. There'd certainly be a few random sweet, creamy salads of death a la the one Charmmii I think made on youtube, but it's easy to just not partake if it's a buffet.

My boyfriend's family always serve a delectable treat called Fresca Salad alongside any turkey dinner. Fresca salad consists of green jello mixed with fresca, with a good helping of cool whip folded in before it sets, and it sets into a much more solid but fluffy mass than regular jello. In my boyfriend's family, fresca salad is to turkey the same way cranberry sauce is to turkey. :barf: It's something else.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

:3: I wanna make you cookies all the time forever.

Clavietika posted:

:psyduck:

Oh, the stories I could tell. My grandmother is also fond of boiling noodles until they turn to mush and just eating them with a full stick of butter. I have also caught her eating just a stick of butter unwrapped like a banana straight up. She also cooks eggs in a lovely stainless steel pot and lets it burn to the sides where she scrapes it off with a knife and eats it. They also eat sour cream on crackers.

As for meat, chicken isn't the only thing that suffers. Pork chops get the same treatment. "Soup" is veggie oil, water and ketchup with leftover meat thrown in and vinegar added "for flavor". She also makes a "lava cake" that she makes without sugar and with double baking soda so all you taste is bitter.

My sister, thank god, likes helping me in the kitchen when she visits. She's still got a lot to learn but she gets excited learning about new things and is super proud when she makes tasty foods. :3:

My mom is very meat and potatoes, but she's fond of seasoning and will at least try foods she isn't terribly sure about if I ask her. Usually she likes them, but will not cook them for herself.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Have you ever considered that your life is actually the Truman Show

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That would explain so much.

On another note I made cookies with star anise for the first time. :3: :3: :3: They turned out super good, but I think next time I'mma try pairing them with some sort of citrus. Suggestions?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I have also caught her eating just a stick of butter unwrapped like a banana straight up.
What's it like being Paula Deen's grandchild?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I've started doing fingerguns with the accompanying effects every time I do something celebration-worthy. I'm proud.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

I've started doing fingerguns with the accompanying effects every time I do something celebration-worthy. I'm proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l832Gbvd32A

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Nerdy, not to cross the streams forum-wise but you brought your family up yourself, so... I hope you're not getting sucked back to them?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

:3: I wanna make you cookies all the time forever.

Oh, the stories I could tell. My grandmother is also fond of boiling noodles until they turn to mush and just eating them with a full stick of butter. I have also caught her eating just a stick of butter unwrapped like a banana straight up. She also cooks eggs in a lovely stainless steel pot and lets it burn to the sides where she scrapes it off with a knife and eats it. They also eat sour cream on crackers.

As for meat, chicken isn't the only thing that suffers. Pork chops get the same treatment. "Soup" is veggie oil, water and ketchup with leftover meat thrown in and vinegar added "for flavor". She also makes a "lava cake" that she makes without sugar and with double baking soda so all you taste is bitter.

My sister, thank god, likes helping me in the kitchen when she visits. She's still got a lot to learn but she gets excited learning about new things and is super proud when she makes tasty foods. :3:

My mom is very meat and potatoes, but she's fond of seasoning and will at least try foods she isn't terribly sure about if I ask her. Usually she likes them, but will not cook them for herself.
My sincere condolences. Genuinely.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halalelujah posted:

Why is :prettygood: no longer a smilie? :argh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P017y_pbAsY

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Well, because I wanted to practice cooking poultry on my own so I can do something for family christmas, I just fisted a duck and ripped out its entrails before sticking it in the oven. Now all I have to do is pray that I didn't mess up, or miss something cleaning and I won't get thundershits two weeks from now when I chop up a green pepper or something.

It's been five minutes and I already hear the fat sizzling from a room away :psyduck:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Because he died. :ocelot:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would help if I remembered the correct emote then. :downs:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 6, 2012

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Filboid Studge posted:

Nerdy, not to cross the streams forum-wise but you brought your family up yourself, so... I hope you're not getting sucked back to them?

No, I'm firmly independent still. :3: My mom and sister are both getting themselves to better places mentally and in life, too, so we've been trying to work through our issues. The rest of my family is temporarily going to visit for Christmas, after which they'll leave or get escorted out by the very nice police people.

I'm doing really well for myself. I'll be heading to culinary school this January and I'm getting medical help and I have a relatively well paying job. Life is/was pretty hectic for now/for a while, but it's definitely better. No worries, dude. Thanks for being concerned, though!

What pairs well with anise? So far it seems like orange and vanilla goes pretty good with it, but I'm not sure what else.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So I just finished up the duck.

That was probably the best thing I've ever made on my own and I know I could have done it better. I also need to learn how to carve poultry properly, instead of just ripping stuff off.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I'm doing really well for myself. I'll be heading to culinary school this January
THIS WILL NOT HELP YOUR MENTAL HEALTH.

Anise goes really well with orange for sure. If you want something to serve with said anise cookies, try a pot of piping hot ginger tea, or jasmine green tea. If you can get your hands on it, any kind of good Earl Grey tea will go swimmingly as well (seeing as how it's got bergamot, which is a kind of orange anyway). Cardamom goes well as does hibiscus. Hrm. Maybe hibiscus tea, steeped with a pod or two of cardamom and a hint of fennel seed?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Daeren posted:

So I just finished up the duck.

Instead of just ripping stuff off.

It is nice to every once and a while just savage a duck. If you get a small one you feel like a giant in a fairy tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Re: going to culinary school. Please pop by the industry thread and talk it out first. There are options. Cooking for people who appreciate it is sexy. Cooking for a living is a long, sloe slog through hell.