Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Cream_Filling posted:

Isn't this meant to be a replacement for the 3 series coupe?

Yea I was just drawing a comparison between the 5 series and 6 series, and wondering if the 3 and 4 series will have a similar relationship. The 6 series carries a >30% premium over the 5 series. I don't think the 4 series price jump will be that dramatic, but a 20% premium to start around $50k (with more standard options) doesn't sound that unreasonable.

But I have to imagine they'll sell it with the base 4 cyl, so maybe you can grab one for low 40's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

fknlo posted:

The lower part of the rear bumper is really busy.

Apparently the rear bumper and tail lights are the part of the "concept" (along with the over-the-top interior) that will get changed/toned down before production. The rest of the car is basically production ready, however.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

I'm not really a fan of the huge air intake at the front. And I know it's just the color choice, but the interior shot makes me feel like I'm in a cave made out of beef jerky.

I just hope they reasonably price the M2 since I would be interested in getting one down the road.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I like everything except the weird shape of the front and rear bumper. Lexus is doing that too with their origami grill crap that makes everything look like it came out of a non-licensed racing game.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm in agreement on that terrible rear bumper. It looks like it has an outline of a Dodge Dart's taillights embedded in it. The colors used in the interior look really nice, I wonder what it will look like with their "sporty" trim of black leather and brushed aluminum.

The wicker cupholders are certainly unique.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think that 4 series looks pretty nice, although those cupholders seem like a bitch and a half to clean out. I knew they were switching to this odd/even saloon/coupe system, but I'm uncertain as to the details for the lower numbers. Is the 1 series going to become that FWD car they were talking about based on the MINI, but become a 4 door? And then the current 1M will evolve into the M2?

If the 3 series gets redesigned to look like the 4 so that the 4 essentially is the 3 coupe, then I can imagine there not being a huge price difference between the two. I have a feeling though it'll be just like 5/6 though, which is a shame.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The interior in those photos is just a BMW Individual concept. Wicker cup holders are never making it to standard production.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Guinness posted:

I think it looks really pretty great, though still a little mixed on those side vents.

The bummer is that it is almost undoubtedly going to be much more expensive than the 3-series coupe has traditionally been, taking a page out of Audi's book with the A4/A5. The 3 coupe has always carried a small premium over the 3 sedan, but typically with a few more standard features, but I bet the gap will be a lot wider now with the 3/4 seres split. Hopefully BMW really differentiate it from the 3-series to make up for the price increase, like a lot more standard "premium" features and maybe more aggressive engine tunes (since it's all turbos now)?

Since BMW absolutely loves to build cars for niches, what are you willing to bet that they'll still make a 3-Series coupe? I honestly wouldn't put it past them one bit.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

MrChips posted:

Since BMW absolutely loves to build cars for niches, what are you willing to bet that they'll still make a 3-Series coupe? I honestly wouldn't put it past them one bit.

Sure, but what niche would that be filling? Price point is not a niche.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ynotony posted:

starts with a 4 which is one better than 3?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ynotony posted:

Maybe they'll redesign it to be super ugly, since apparently ugly cars are a key market niche for BMW.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I often wonder how the feedback loop works with them. Do they get dealers phoning head office and saying "Man, like, every third person today was saying they wanted something sort of like a fackin' ugly six-series five-door hatchback, only jacked up like it's a 4x4, with the four wheel drive, but poo poo off-road ability."?

It actually gets to the point where I find that the fact they are completely right about the best way to separate idiots from their money to be almost personally offensive.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ynotony posted:

Never doubt BMW's ability to find niches where there is none. After all, there's the 6 Gran Coupe, which is a 4-door 6-Series which we promise is totally NOT a 5-Series and is totally worth the extra money, and the upcoming 4 Gran Coupe, which is...well, you get the picture.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrChips posted:

Never doubt BMW's ability to find niches where there is none. After all, there's the 6 Gran Coupe, which is a 4-door 6-Series which we promise is totally NOT a 5-Series and is totally worth the extra money, and the upcoming 4 Gran Coupe, which is...well, you get the picture.

As opposed to VW, which at least knows how to find actual niches. Sort of. Though even I'm skeptical about just how much volume the New Beetle Convertible TDI will bring, since it's basically 3 niches in one (retro design / convertible / diesel).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Its the same as music or almost anything these days. They can build many different models/options to cater to many needs and be profitable doing it.

Its kind of crazy for us car people because we pay attention to the whole picture, but your average person wants X,Y,Z and buys exactly what they want without really thinking about the fact that there are three slightly different models that could kind of fit.

It also seems like they can also afford throwing some things at the wall and see if it sticks. Steve Jobs always said that no one wanted an iPod or an iPhone until they existed, then everyone bought one.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

Guinness posted:

I think it looks really pretty great, though still a little mixed on those side vents.

They do look awkward, but my biggest problem with them is that they're fake. If the area included just small details like the turn signals on previous 3 series coupes that might be a nice touch. But these are huge and purposely made to convincingly look like they are real vents. Too busy without necessity, much like the front and rear bumpers. I doubt the bumpers will be that complicated on the production models though.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

MrChips posted:

Totally, just wondering what the niche would be for a 3 series coupe. The niche for the Gran Coupes is very obvious (unique body style, more exclusive, more luxurious), but a 3 coupe? The 4 already matches the 3 in terms of luxury and size, the 4 is already a coupe, so how could a 3 coupe possibly differentiate itself from a 4? Or were you just being tongue and cheek and I'm being a smartass?

quackman posted:

They do look awkward, but my biggest problem with them is that they're fake.

BMW says they are functional...

quote:

This EfficientDynamics feature channels the incoming air around the outside of the wheels, ensuring the airflow "hugs" the wheel arches and fuel consumption is noticeably reduced as a consequence.

...But if they really were that functional, wouldn't they be on all their cars?

ynotony fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 5, 2012

blk
Dec 19, 2009
People knock on the current Mazdaspeed 3 for its tiny nav screen, and it looks like the issue isn't improved on the upcoming Kodo 6.

Looks like they shoved a Clarion OEMed double DIN head where most cars would have almost exclusive screen real estate. I imagine it will be a turn off to those considering the option or those who have it packaged in.

It does make sense for those who would just ditch the OEM unit for aftermarket anyways (although aftermarket headunit GPS is generally balls), but I wonder what you would then do with the control stick between the seats:

Seems to me like they should've spent the extra supply bucks for a bigger LCD.

Seriously, Mazda, I appreciate what you do, but your interiors make me :psyduck:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sorry, I agree with Mazda. Touch screens are a PITA to use with an in motion vehicle and require you to concentrate too hard. This seems to be taking a page from BMW's book which is give someone a scroll wheel and they can navigate the infotainment system more effectively without being nearly as distracted.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Sorry, I agree with Mazda. Touch screens are a PITA to use with an in motion vehicle and require you to concentrate too hard. This seems to be taking a page from BMW's book which is give someone a scroll wheel and they can navigate the infotainment system more effectively without being nearly as distracted.

His point was that the display is pitifully small and the buttons flanking it are just a duplicate of the stuff on the center divider.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't understand instead of making 8 different tall wagons with slightly different roof lines. why BMW and Audi haven't gotten into the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck market. Since the kinds of douchebags who daily drive lifted F350s are probably the same kind of people who would drive an X6 or whatever, what if you could buy a lifted Audi or Porsche F350? The Germans already get high profit margins from their cars, I can't imagine what kind of profit margins they would be getting on a BOF truck with leaf springs. Yet for some reason this major new market segment remains ignored.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand instead of making 8 different tall wagons with slightly different roof lines. why BMW and Audi haven't gotten into the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck market. Since the kinds of douchebags who daily drive lifted F350s are probably the same kind of people who would drive an X6 or whatever, what if you could buy a lifted Audi or Porsche F350? The Germans already get high profit margins from their cars, I can't imagine what kind of profit margins they would be getting on a BOF truck with leaf springs. Yet for some reason this major new market segment remains ignored.
Only North America appears retarded enough to create a regulatory environment where body-on-frame trucks' emissions and fuel economy are ignored (only grudgingly forcing them to start paying attention to occupant crash safety a few years prior)?

Also BMW has run out of numbers by now haven't they? They'd have to call it, like, the 15 Series.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 6, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also BMW has run out of numbers by now haven't they? They'd have to call it, like, the 15 Series.
...And the 25 series for the 3/4 ton, 35 series for the 1-ton, and 45 series for the 2-ton chassis cab. :jerkbag:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Well, first of all, chicken tax. Also, it took the Germans a pretty long time to produce SUVs that didn't totally suck, and even then that was after the market was already shifting over to crossovers. See e.g., the Mercedes M, etc. The only ones that even have a pickup in their line up right now is VAG.

Also, making pickups would likely have negative effects on their brand image because the kinds of douchebags who drive X6s like to think of themselves as a higher class of douchebag than the ones who drive lifted F350s. In this market, brand image is everything.

Finally, the BOF full size truck market is already so competitive it will take a serious investment to enter it in any meaningful way. Giants like Honda have been on the fence about this. Even at a significantly higher price point due to the luxury badging, this need to match the market leaders on specs may end up seriously cutting into the profit margins. Arguably, the reason SUVs were so profitable back in the 90s was as much because of the pickup truck volume subsidizing their development costs as it was that BOF with leaf springs was inherently cheap to produce.

And if it were BMW, they woudl clearly call it the Y series. Y4 for compact unibody, Y6 for mainline, and Y7 for crew cab.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 6, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Slap an Audi badge and some leather in this thing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

D C posted:

Slap an Audi badge and some leather in this thing.

Got it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ynotony posted:

...But if they really were that functional, wouldn't they be on all their cars?

Depends on the price point. You're weighing the cost of shaping and stamping that vent out over the gains.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
All the German car companies already make huge numbers of trucks in the US, and the Chicken tax doesn't include Mexico or Canada since NAFTA supercedes it. GM and Ford already import some of their trucks from Mexico and VW has huge operations in Mexico making US market vehicles too. Once they make the trucks big enough they can bring in diesel engines too.

RE the BMW coupes, the last 3 series coupe and Audi A5 are actually larger and heavier than the sedans, so you might as well charge more for them.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
On topic for last page's RamChat :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

People knock on the current Mazdaspeed 3 for its tiny nav screen, and it looks like the issue isn't improved on the upcoming Kodo 6.

Looks like they shoved a Clarion OEMed double DIN head where most cars would have almost exclusive screen real estate. I imagine it will be a turn off to those considering the option or those who have it packaged in.

It does make sense for those who would just ditch the OEM unit for aftermarket anyways (although aftermarket headunit GPS is generally balls), but I wonder what you would then do with the control stick between the seats:

Seems to me like they should've spent the extra supply bucks for a bigger LCD.

Seriously, Mazda, I appreciate what you do, but your interiors make me :psyduck:

Looks good to me.
Besides, they offered larger nav screens on the first gen Mazda 3; nobody wanted them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Besides, they offered larger nav screens on the first gen Mazda 3; nobody wanted them.

:raise: What were they and where do I get one?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They probably aren't that big by contemporary standards, but on second gens to make it cheaper they just have that little screen. It would pop up from the top of the dash above the radio. In 2006, when I bought my car, to get Nav I would have needed to buy the Grand Touring trim, which was I think about $2000 extra, not to mention however much the nav system was. Retrofitting would be difficult as from my understanding the body harness is quite different.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

On topic for last page's RamChat :v:

Tell me that's a floor jack and not the lift you're using to lift it like that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That's sitting on level ground after the tow truck backed it into the bay. All things considered, driver was a stone cold pimp.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Even his truck has a bit of pimp swagger. What the hell happened to it?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, making pickups would likely have negative effects on their brand image because the kinds of douchebags who drive X6s like to think of themselves as a higher class of douchebag than the ones who drive lifted F350s. In this market, brand image is everything.
series. Y4 for compact unibody, Y6 for mainline, and Y7 for crew cab.

A lot truck owners appreciate that their vehicle is understated in spite of its cost. Ford tried this very idea with Lincoln and at didn't fare too well. I wouldn't think that the Germans could succeed in this market if Ford couldn't.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Cream_Filling posted:

For real, the new Transit Connect 7-passenger version looks like it could be a pretty good cheap kid hauler in addition to commercial work:

I'm more excited about this than I should be. It's going to kick rear end as a band van for smaller groups.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even his truck has a bit of pimp swagger. What the hell happened to it?

It has two big wheels and two small ones. Most likely, the owner was planning on buying more in the future, or in some way harmed two of his wheels. Or he could just be retarded. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nah its got 4 mudders on it, i dont entirely know other than something failed dramatically on the right front. I'll know more in the morning for the horrible failures thread, just cross posted it here due to ramchat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anecdotal, of course, but I had a Ram 2500 with the Cummins 12v, I think it must have been early 2000s MY, which I used for work. That thing was a beast, we rode it hard and put it away wet and it was a champ.