Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

evol262 posted:

Your description pretty much sounds like "I want to be a sysadmin, but I'm not experienced enough, and I keep applying to sysadmin jobs." To be honest, Linux isn't uncommon enough that I need to hire some shade-tree guy who's never touched a production system, doesn't know how to script, can't configure a webserver, etc. You need to look lower, at junior admin, operations, etc, and work your way up when you have the experience. It's unlikely that you're going to win out over a guy who has even six months of solid experience working on the command line.

My point is I CAN do those things. I've done most of that at this job (I've been at for a year and a half), plus the experience of messing around which is harder to quantify, it's true.

The problem is that my actual job title has nothing to do with sysadmin; I was just basically "a guy who could learn to do it," was taught everything I'd need to know from the guy really into it (who also is not officially an admin), and learned the rest myself.

I mean I guess junior does make more sense, but I'm not coming into this blind in any sense of the word, whereas I always understood junior as "potential but zero experience"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

My point is I CAN do those things. I've done most of that at this job (I've been at for a year and a half), plus the experience of messing around which is harder to quantify, it's true.

The problem is that my actual job title has nothing to do with sysadmin; I was just basically "a guy who could learn to do it," was taught everything I'd need to know from the guy really into it (who also is not officially an admin), and learned the rest myself.

I mean I guess junior does make more sense, but I'm not coming into this blind in any sense of the word, whereas I always understood junior as "potential but zero experience"

If you know what you are doing, taking the RHCSA or RHCE exam probably wouldn't be that bad if you just get a book or something that covers the type of tasks they make you do. The exams are hands on, and not answering questions so you just have to practice the things they cover like setting up apache or allowing things in selinux etc.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Saint Darwin posted:

My is I CAN do those things. I've done most of that at this job (I've been at for a year and a half), plus the experience of messing which is harder to quantify, it's true.

The problem is that my actual job title has nothing to do with sysadmin; I was basically "a guy who could learn to do it," was taught everything I'd to from the guy really into it (who also is not officially an admin), and learned the myself.

I'm not trying to be condescending. What I'm saying is that you get a lot of guys who say "I run Ubuntu at home, I know Linux" applying. And it's a reasonable question to ask "what does your setup at home look like" if their resume is short on skills to get a feel for your level of comfort, but it's just not a substitute.

I was also "a guy who could learn how to do it", albeit in an role, and I myself into a job as an admin at that company before leaving.

If you've done those things at your current job, put them on your resume. Don't put things you've done at home on your resume.

Again, not trying to be condescending, but you are coming into this blind in almost every sense of the word. Maintaining than 10 servers at a company that sounds like it doesn't have a full-time admin (and you're not even working with the existing IT if they're present) and playing around with Linux at home is not the same as "there's a crisis, and we need it as as possible", or "plan the necessary for this future project". What I mean is that junior doesn't mean "potential but zero experience".

That's "helpdesk" or "operations" (and it's really to evaluate your existing experience anyway, plus operations has a lot of overlap with junior admin roles). Junior "I have someone that can mentor me, that I can escalate to, and who can me through complex until I can handle it on my own." And that's you. you don't think it is, but it is. Non-junior roles mean "the buck stops here", and you're not ready for that, frankly.

I know "the experience of messing around is", because I messed around with Linux since 2002, and I didn't start working with it until 2005. Guys like that are a dime a dozen, especially with the popularity of Ubuntu.

To make this easier, here's my LinkedIn profile, which is essentially the same as my resume. You're more or less at the same position I was at when I working for Telvent/DTN. I don't go for non-senior positions any more, but when you apply for a job as "Linux Systems Administrator" (or Engineer), you're competing with my skill set somewhere around the time I left Telvent/DTN or sometime during my stint at Wells Fargo: i.e. complex problems on production systems, managing 1000+ (or at Wells, 5000+) servers, doing virtualization and SAN work, DNS, and scripting bordering on (2000+ line Python/Perl scripts, sometimes web development, database-driven applications and management, etc). And I still consider that the borderline between junior and non. It's not "potential but zero experience". It's "I'm experienced, but not experienced enough to be the person responsible". Does that make more sense?

Edit:

Forgot LinkedIn may block views a paywall.

pre:
Application Systems Engineer
Wells Fargo
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; WFC; Financial Services industry
October 2010 – Present (2 ans 3 months)

•	Python web development with web2py.
•	vSphere scripts with PowerCLI and Perl. 
•	Deployment of Redhat Satellite.
•	Shell scripting.
•	Perl and Python development.
•	Migration of physical servers to Hyper-V and vSphere.
•	Wrote, tested, and deployed     to upgrade the enterprise from Redhat Enterprise     5 to Redhat Enterprise Linux 6 without the need for installation media, 
utilizing a bootable image and GRUB2. 
•	Upgrade software includes a live, bootable snapshot of the RHEL5 environment and scripts necessary for reverting the upgrade seamlessly.
•	Conversion of physical Sharepoint environment running on Windows 2003 to a     machine running inside Hyper-V on Windows 2008 R2.

Systems Administrator
Acxiom
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; ACXM; Information   and Services industry
May 2010 – December 2010 (8 months)

•	Backup, reconfiguration, and migration of business-critical Linux, Solaris, VMware ESX, AIX, and HP-UX servers to a geographically different location without incurring downtime. 
•	Scripted utilities to     up duplicate servers via Kickstart, Ignite-UX, Jumpstart, and rsync.
•	SAN troubleshooting and management.
•	VMware ESX administration.
•	Management of software profiles with Redhat     and Puppet.
•	Ruby, Python, C development.
•	Installed and configured an Oracle       including Sun Directory Server EE, Oracle Access Manager, Oracle Policy Manager, Oracle Webgate, Oracle Identity Manager, and Oracle 11g.

Operating Systems Engineer
Wells Fargo
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; WFC; Financial Services industry
October 2008 – April 2010 (1 année 7 months)

•	Management and configuration of a geographically disperse     of linux and AIX servers. 
•	Wrote, tested, and deployed software to upgrade the enterprise from Redhat Enterprise linux 4 to Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 without the need for installation media. 
•	Upgrade software includes a live, bootable snapshot of the RHEL4 environment and scripts necessary for reverting the upgrade seamlessly. 
•	Wrote, and     software to remotely resize the root filesystem during the boot process. 
•	Wrote and deployed a Python-based   webpage with XML-RPC server capability for hosts to send messages, and the XML-RPC clients for linux (Python) and AIX (C++). 
•	Debugging software with strace, ltrace, and SystemTap. 
VMware ESX/ESXi administration. 
•	Configured and deployed a high-availability VMware cluster without access to network-attached storage or a storage area network. 
•	Work with Tivoli, VAS (for Active Directory authentication on UNIX/Linux), JIRA, and other tools. 
•	Python, Perl.
•	Shell scripting.

Lead Computer Operator
DTN
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
June 2005 – October 2008 (3 ans 5 months)

•	Installation and configuration of Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Solaris, and linux servers (primarily RHEL). 
•	Installation and configuration of Fibre Channel, SCSI, SAS, and iSCSI NAS equipment, primarily from Dell, but including NetApp, Clariion, and EMC. 
•	Support of existing HP-UX, Tru64, and IRIX boxes, including data migration as those boxes were replaced. 
•	OS, software, and hardware troubleshooting in the datacenter. 
•	Supported MS-SQL base de données clusters and custom in-house applications. 
•	Development of monitoring tools for new applications. 
•	Scripting and scheduling of regular tasks. 
•	Perl/Python development. 
•	C# development of multithreaded applications with WinForms. 
•	Configuration changes to Cisco networking equipment.
Consultant
Independent Consultant
March 2005 –   2008 (3 ans 7 months)

Anything and everything IT related.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 6, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I got it, thanks for the help. I do have the actual things I've done in my resume so I guess it's not really hidden information at this point.

I'll have to see about those certs and about trying to maybe change my search terms. Again, thanks guys!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi guys, I need a hardware recommendation:

- PCI or PCIe x1
- DUAL rs232 9-pin interfaces
- (ongoing) Linux driver support

I wasted $45 on a card that claimed to have Linux support but apparently they haven't maintained the driver code and it isn't compatible with new kernels (or something). Very frustrating. Looking for something that is reputable and well supported under Linux so ideally would work out of the box but I'm willing to compile a driver or two if it's properly maintained.

I'm doing my own research on this in parallel, but if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears.

Thanks!

e: It seems that the card I bought (9922 chipset) is supported OOB on the 3.1 kernel so I'll just have to look at upgrading my system.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 6, 2012

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm constantly frustrated by my company's lack of desire to hire junior people. We have an intern program but that only applies to college students or recent grads. I suppose I understand why, if you have an open position and people with experience are applying why would you hire someone without (especially when the overall cost isn't much different), but I feel like bringing in people at the start of their career and helping them grow builds good long term employees.

Then again, sometimes the only way to get ahead is to change jobs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

Hi guys, I need a hardware recommendation:

- PCI or PCIe x1
- DUAL rs232 9-pin interfaces
- (ongoing) Linux driver support

I wasted $45 on a card that claimed to have Linux support but apparently they haven't maintained the driver code and it isn't compatible with new kernels (or something). Very frustrating. Looking for something that is reputable and well supported under Linux so ideally would work out of the box but I'm willing to compile a driver or two if it's properly maintained.

I'm doing my own research on this in parallel, but if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears.

Thanks!

e: It seems that the card I bought (9922 chipset) is supported OOB on the 3.1 kernel so I'll just have to look at upgrading my system.

Honest question: why not use USB dongles? They have better support in most cases, are hot pluggable, easier to manage, etc. If you need something inside the case, get a PCI card off Craigslist for $5.

Ninja Rope posted:

I'm constantly frustrated by my company's lack of desire to hire junior people. We have an intern program but that only applies to college students or recent grads. I suppose I understand why, if you have an open position and people with experience are applying why would you hire someone without (especially when the overall cost isn't much different)
This is pretty much it. They may have bad habits, but that's what an interview is for. That can end up with hiring someone who doesn't have much experience also, just that my general experience with "I got phpinfo() working on Ubuntu. I know Linux. You should hire me as an admin" guys hasn't been the best. It's like hiring a developer that you know is going to copy and paste functions together. Mostly because those guys rarely know when to say "I don't know" or "I've never used that, but I'll learn it". Instead, they try to BS their way through. Lack of real-world experience breeds overconfidence in your skills. Or something. Maybe my bad experiences are abnormal.

Ninja Rope posted:

I feel like bringing in people at the start of their career and helping them grow builds good long term employees.

Pretty much this, as long as you have internal opportunities for them to move into. If you don't, well...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone else get in the Steam beta?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yes.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ninja Rope posted:

This change has been made for me, so now I am full-time looking for a position :ohdear:

I'll be thinking about the advice dispensed here.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

This change has been made for me, so now I am full-time looking for a position :ohdear:

My employer is pretty decent, and needs to double the size of our ops department. Meaning we're looking for an additional person who's reasonably bright. Maybe I can help you out. Have you got PMs?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there anything like metaflac for m4a? I need to read and store m4a tags for my m4a to mp3 script.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Adraeus posted:

Is there anything like metaflac for m4a? I need to read and store m4a tags for my m4a to mp3 script.
taginfo works for me in Fedora. Not sure if it exists in Debian or Ubuntu. It's a frontend to TagLib.

http://grecni.com/software/taginfo/
http://taglib.github.com/

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Saint Darwin posted:

Where are you located? I'm told Zynga is hiring in the Bay Area for junior sysadmins with drat near no experience and is willing to train them. Probably because Zynga is a lovely company, but it's a foot in the door.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Adraeus posted:

Try mediainfo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ninja Rope posted:

Where are you located? I'm told Zynga is hiring in the Bay Area for junior sysadmins with drat near no experience and is willing to train them. Probably because Zynga is a lovely company, but it's a foot in the door.

What happens in 3 months when they layoff 900 people?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bob Morales posted:

What happens in 3 months when they layoff 900 people?

At least you have "worked as a junior sysadmin at a big company" on your resume? I'm not saying it's the best idea but if you can't find anything else to get your foot in the door it's worth considering.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ninja Rope posted:

At least you have "worked as a junior sysadmin at a big company" on your resume? I'm not saying it's the best idea but if you can't find anything else to get your foot in the door it's worth considering.

I would interview just so I could hear some Zynga stories.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I interviewed at one of those facebook dating sites with some huge number of users they brag about once. The guy interviewing me spent about 15 minutes, and was interrupted halfway through by someone knocking on the door to ask some things. I could tell he wasn't even listening, it felt like a total waste of time. One of those startups that their work/life balance means working 14 hour days but you get to take a break and play ping pong.

It seems like Zynga would be like that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evol262 posted:

Honest question: why not use USB dongles? They have better support in most cases, are hot pluggable, easier to manage, etc. If you need something inside the case, get a PCI card off Craigslist for $5.

There's a lot of traffic around this particular device and while I've gone to great lengths to ensure that the cable is out of the way and relatively safe, this is in an active and crowded experiment chamber and I have no real way to ensure that a USB cable is fixed in its dongle without zipties. I'd prefer to just use a PCI/PCIe card that I can screw the cable into and be done with it.

But I mean yeah, if it was my decision and I had all the control over the environment I wanted then I'd probably go with either USB dongles or I'd just make my own little USB->Serial breakout with an FTDI chip.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Ninja Rope posted:

Junior sysadmins; or as they're known at Zynga: senior sysadmins

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

text editor posted:

Junior sysadmins; or as they're known at Zynga: senior sysadmins soon to be unemployed

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bob Morales posted:

I would interview just so I could hear some Zynga stories.
You can hear great Zynga stories at every company in the area, because all of them have ex-Zynga developers.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Misogynist posted:

You can hear great Zynga stories at every company in the area, because all of them have ex-Zynga developers.

To be fair, that's true for pretty much every big company around here. Try throwing a rock and not hitting someone who left Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Netapp, Juniper, Cisco...

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ninja Rope posted:

To be fair, that's true for pretty much every big company around here. Try throwing a rock and not hitting someone who left Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Netapp, Juniper, Cisco...

But it's definitely more true for Zynga. Few mornings when I arrive at Montgomery Station do I not see someone obviously commuting to Zynga. It's big and so dysfunctional it has a major money problem, future problem, and retention problem, so I'd say it's leaking engineers much faster than everyone else.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

IMHO if you want to be an effective linux admin you need to know both redhat and debian based systems.

And with that you know pretty much everything you need to know because who the gently caress runs gentoo anymore.

e: You could delve into FreeBSD or Solaris to cover all your bases.

Debian/Ubuntu are extremely rare in the field. You find developer-run startups who have never had an ops guy using them. That's about it. Debian is a lovely desktop for a number of reasons, but there is no career-development reason to spend time with it.

FreeBSD has been dead for business use for a reeeeally long time. I have not seen a FreeBSD box in use by a business since 2006, when i migrated a handful of them to RHEL 4. And that was at the last mom and pop ISP in town -- FreeBSD's bread and butter in the 90s.

It would be dumb to learn any proprietary UNIX as a new person in the field. Solaris and HP-UX still exist in mega-huge corporations, but only until they finish migrating to RHEL haha. Shrinking deployments, not growing. AIX is still used by financial firms, I guess.

Commercially speaking, RHEL/CentOS are the only game in town.
(Unless you're in Yurop. Then there is SuSE.)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 8, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
AIX is still used in places by people who use IBM's TSM stuff, also. Definitely a niche area, though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

fatherdog posted:

AIX is still used in places by people who use IBM's TSM stuff, also. Definitely a niche area, though.
Two AIX boxes here for exactly this reason.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Debian/Ubuntu are extremely rare in the field. You find developer-run startups who have never had an ops guy using them. That's about it. Debian is a lovely desktop for a number of reasons, but there is no career-development reason to spend time with it.
This is pretty ignorant. You find a lot of startups/tech companies with really good ops teams running Debian/Ubuntu as well. These places won't go anywhere near RHEL because of their release cycles.

Most of the companies running RHEL are running RHEL because it's been there for the better part of a decade. And I say this as a guy who's built, without exaggeration, almost 3,000 custom RPMs this year.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 8, 2012

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
FreeBSD is not completely dead. Netflix just built their CDN on FreeBSD (intentionally over Linux for the TCP stack), Yahoo uses FreeBSD but is slowly transitioning away, Netapp and Juniper use FreeBSD in products, Intel builds drivers in-house for FreeBSD, and there's a slew of smaller companies that use or resell Free- and NetBSD.

LinkedIn relies heavily on Solaris.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

FreeBSD is not completely dead. Netflix just built their CDN on FreeBSD (intentionally over Linux for the TCP stack), Yahoo uses FreeBSD but is slowly transitioning away, Netapp and Juniper use FreeBSD in products, Intel builds drivers in-house for FreeBSD, and there's a slew of smaller companies that use or resell Free- and NetBSD.

LinkedIn relies heavily on Solaris.
FreeBSD is also the basis of EMC's Isilon storage platform. It's fairly popular for appliance-Unix because the kernel architecture is so easy to hack on compared to Linux's, not to mention the lack of copyleft in the kernel.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Misogynist posted:

FreeBSD is also the basis of EMC's Isilon storage platform. It's fairly popular for appliance-Unix because the kernel architecture is so easy to hack on compared to Linux's, not to mention the lack of copyleft in the kernel.

Yeah, I much prefer working on FreeBSD or NetBSD's kernel to Linux, plus licensing with the BSDs is easier on companies selling products.

I didn't know Isilon was BSD though, the last EMC product I worked with was Symmetrix which ran embedded Windows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess this might be a decent time to ask: Is there any serious anything based around the XNU kernel other than MacOS?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Martytoof posted:

I guess this might be a decent time to ask: Is there any serious anything based around the XNU kernel other than MacOS?

I've certainly not heard of anyone wanting to use it. In fact, I've never even heard of anyone wanting to use OSX or Apple servers, the few times I saw them deployed it was always a "the ______ department deals with those" kind of decision and they were dumped as soon as possible.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Martytoof posted:

No. XNU is technically feeble work. It exists only for cost reasons.

OSX/XNU were developed by NeXT, Inc. in the late 80s. NeXT was a startup with no money. They wanted the cheapest UNIX system they could possibly knock together.

At the time, Mach was a microkernel research project. Each driver, kernel subsystem etc in Mach is intended to run as a separate "server." Each server is independent, so if your network stack crashes, it doesn't take the kernel with it. Furthermore, all system calls into these "servers" use the Remote Procedure Call format, so it doesn't even matter if a "server" is on your local host or another box.

In order to make it easier to develop their research code directly on a system running Mach, a deranged person ported large chunks of 4.3 BSD into a single, mega-huge "server" in Mach, that implemented every basic function other than threading. (As an added bonus, Mach being Mach, all UNIX system calls into this BSD mega-server used the same RPC format -- meaning they were hundreds of times slower than a regular UNIX box. Essentially the worst of both worlds: lousy UNIX reliability with lousy microkernel performance overhead.)

NeXT saw this horrible contraption and decided it would be just barely good enough if they hacked on it a little bit. The advantage of their horrid Mach/BSD franken-kernel was that Mach replaced all of the necessary AT&T-owned bits of BSD. Frankenkernel meant paying $0 per copy when they shipped systems to customers.

The happy ending: Since then, Apple and NeXT have spent 24 years trying to hack around the horrifying design compromises in their duct-taped frankenkernel. Instead of being hundreds of times worse than conventional UNIX, it is now only tens of times worse in the worst cases.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 9, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know how to clear ownership/permissions on transfer with lftp? Or maybe match the ownership/permissions on the local site?

waffle iron posted:

taginfo works for me in Fedora. Not sure if it exists in Debian or Ubuntu. It's a frontend to TagLib.

http://grecni.com/software/taginfo/
http://taglib.github.com/

Thanks! I think this will work with Cygwin once I get a few more dependencies installed.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Adraeus posted:

Anyone know how to clear ownership/permissions on transfer with lftp? Or maybe match the ownership/permissions on the local site?

Are you asking if you can specify the user / group / permissions that a file has on the remote site when you upload it via lftp?

If that's what you're asking then nope, you probably can't. In general the settings on the FTP server dictate those things so you'll have to work with the remote server's owner and get him to set up something that meets your requirements.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Misogynist posted:

Isilon uses FreeBSD because it was written in 2001, before EMC bought it.

F5 abandoned FreeBSD for Linux.
Cisco abandoned their proprietary kernel for Linux.
EMC abandoned their proprietary kernel for Linux (VMAX)
Nokia (CheckPoint) abandoned FreeBSD (IPSO) for Linux (SecurePlatform)

Juniper's brand-new products are still running FreeBSD.
NetApp is still shipping on FreeBSD, but they have a port to Linux.
NetScaler is... pretty much still in 2001.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I need to run Nagios checks across a network perimeter (NAT), and passive checks are a huge pain in the rear end. Is anyone aware of anything that will run over a pub/sub system (AMQP, 0MQ, STOMP, etc.) and carry check requests/results through a message queue? I have MCollective running already, and it would be perfect if sending all my checks over it wouldn't spin up hundreds of Ruby runtimes for each client and tie up 8 GB+ of memory. I need something leaner.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
I've just set up DNSMasq to use a specific DNS (smartdns) for sites like hulu, bbc etc. It works great for a lot of players but I have a problem with one specific site.

The on demand videos that are problematic have akamai addresses like this:
code:
nordondxxx-f.akamaihd.net/...
where the xxx part changes with every video. Like 10a or 27f etc.

Can I use some kind of wildcard to make all nordondxxx-f urls work without having to use the smart dns for every akamai.net link? I just want to use the smartdns for akamai links from this specific site.

thanks for any help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

This is pretty ignorant. You find a lot of startups/tech companies with really good ops teams running Debian/Ubuntu as well. These places won't go anywhere near RHEL because of their release cycles.

Most of the companies running RHEL are running RHEL because it's been there for the better part of a decade. And I say this as a guy who's built, without exaggeration, almost 3,000 custom RPMs this year.
While agreed to a point, Puppet and Chef are simply not substitutes for Satellite/Spacewalk, and I've never seen Landscape (Canonical doesn't release upstream or demos, to my knowledge).