Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

rolleyes posted:

So, Minecraft; is the pocket edition any good? I have never played the PC version of Minecraft (and don't have any plans to) but I decided to download the PE demo the other day on a whim and, well, I could see myself using it on the train and similar situations.
The reason I'm asking is that from what I've gathered the PE version lacks many of the PC features, and the PE demo lacks yet more features (due to apparently being a very outdated version of the Android version).

Can anyone familiar with both voice an opinion on whether it's worth £4.99? Because you can't save in the demo version I find myself messing about in creative mode the most, building things. It's kind of cool to have a 3D lego set on my phone I guess, but how much further does the paid version go?

fake edit:
I appreciate that, like the PC version, it's still in development so more stuff is presumably in the pipeline.

The mobile version actually got me interested in playing the PC version, which basically led to never using the mobile version again. It's not a bad game, but since it lacks so many of the features of the normal it gets stale pretty quick. The most recent update in the paid app added some new things to the survival aspect which I find to be more fun that creative, but ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

rolleyes posted:

So, Minecraft; is the pocket edition any good? I have never played the PC version of Minecraft (and don't have any plans to) but I decided to download the PE demo the other day on a whim and, well, I could see myself using it on the train and similar situations.
The reason I'm asking is that from what I've gathered the PE version lacks many of the PC features, and the PE demo lacks yet more features (due to apparently being a very outdated version of the Android version).

Can anyone familiar with both voice an opinion on whether it's worth £4.99? Because you can't save in the demo version I find myself messing about in creative mode the most, building things. It's kind of cool to have a 3D lego set on my phone I guess, but how much further does the paid version go?

fake edit:
I appreciate that, like the PC version, it's still in development so more stuff is presumably in the pipeline.

It's not terrible, but it's very, very stripped down. It doesn't even have caves yet, and those are a huge aspect of Minecraft.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

rolleyes posted:

fake edit:

Nope. I find PE a pain in the rear end to control and if you want a building game, I guess it's fine. But as a exploration/survival game it's terrible. Also I'm fairly sure the PC version is feature complete and they are just fixing bugs at this point but I might be wrong.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The controls did take a little getting used to but I'm fairly comfortable with them now. However, it sounds like it might be worth holding off on buying it and keeping an eye on how it progresses - thanks for the input guys.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The thing the pocket edition has going for it is that it's literally available at any time. But that's the inherent value of all mobile gaming. Being able to just chip away at a mountain and slowly make a castle is fun even at a basic level and they have just enough components to make it a somewhat well rounded experience. Just something magical about making a project while you're waiting in the DMV to realize the future is now. :)

The PC version is everything you could want out of it but it's locked to whatever you play it on. If you spend most of the day with a laptop tethered to you, it's the clearly correct choice because you get past the vast gulf in features and have solid controls and a huge viewport. But if you spend a fair amount of the day with only a phone, it's quite a thing to have minecraft with you.

Go in with the understanding that there will never be feature parity and it's always going to feel smaller in scope. It's a quarter the price for a quarter the game. Here's a breakdown of the updates so you can get a sense of how it progresses and at what rate. It's slow but faster than glacial.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Pocket_Edition_version_history

For what it's worth, I like it a hell of a lot and if the worst case scenario is that you feel compelled to buy the PC version that's not a bad result.

Edit: To expand on my experience

The maps are large enough that you can lose your bearings which is a fun experience if night is falling and you get that pang of fear going on. Feature wise, I feel like I can get done most of what I envision because they have most of the static building elements. You won't be able to do the dynamic stuff that the eWizards accomplish in the PC version with pistons and stuff but as far as getting your Lego on, I think it scratches that itch. I have hope that the the survival aspect gets more and more well rounded because that part is of particular interest to me. As it stands, it's more about shelter than anything else but they've added in some of the rudimentary parts for cultivating stuff so it's getting better.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
For everyone talking about Minecraft Pocket Edition, SurvivalCraft is ten times better, in my opinion. All of the failings about MCPE (small land size, no real survival mode, limited terrain design, not a lot of creatures or crafting recipes) all of that is fixed in SurvivalCraft

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.candyrufusgames.survivalcraft

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

the posted:

For everyone talking about Minecraft Pocket Edition, SurvivalCraft is ten times better, in my opinion. All of the failings about MCPE (small land size, no real survival mode, limited terrain design, not a lot of creatures or crafting recipes) all of that is fixed in SurvivalCraft

That looks pretty neat. I'll give the demo a try.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

the posted:

This game looks pretty good. I can't find anywhere the difference between the demo and paid version though?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Dark Solux posted:

This game looks pretty good. I can't find anywhere the difference between the demo and paid version though?

It's time limited. You only get a short time in each world you start, and you can't sleep either.

Edit:
It also runs way smoother than minecraft PE and has better graphics. And more dynamic stuff. And a built in crafting guide. And is cheaper. Basically I'll have talked myself into buying it by the end of the week.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 5, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It has BEARS. What more can you ask for?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

the posted:

It has BEARS. What more can you ask for?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.expb.envirobear&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5leHBiLmVudmlyb2JlYXIiXQ..

A Google User - November 25, 2011 - HTC Desire HD with version 1.03 posted:

The most realistic bear driving simulator.
Sometime last Thursday, I sat on the couch wondering what it'd be like to be a bear driving a Volkswagen Rabbit. And now I have the most advanced sim

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Instant purchase.

Edit: Best purchase.

Quetzal-Coital fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 5, 2012

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Haraksha posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=DeadlyDungeons.App&hl=en

Deadly Dungeons is the go to Dungeon Crawler. It's pretty great.

Looks like The Quest, an ios game I played the poo poo out of on my old ipod before it broke in 2008. Bought it, hope it doesn't suck!

I checked out that game a while back and it was a really neat idea that was really not polished or complete enough to be a game. He was still working on it so how did that work out?

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Mister Snips posted:

I checked out that game (Delver) a while back and it was a really neat idea that was really not polished or complete enough to be a game. He was still working on it so how did that work out?
I like the concept of Delver and I'm having fun with it, but I don't think I would enjoy it quite as much if I weren't playing it on a hardware keyboard and mouse. If you are a fan of first person games on your touchscreen device, then I'd say go for it.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Does minecraft pocket really not have caves? If so how are you meant to find resources?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Brasseye posted:

Does minecraft pocket really not have caves? If so how are you meant to find resources?

I assume he means there are no naturally occurring caves, but you can still dig into the earth as you like.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Brasseye posted:

You can still dig, so you can build your own caves and just hope you happen to stumble across something worth digging for. Survivalcraft does have caves, btw. So close to just buying it now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Instant purchase.

Edit: Best purchase.
Updated graphics too!

And if you've got ANY doubts about envirobear, watch the Let's Play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tNwTtH0qE

edit: Has anyone tried Oscura? It looks pretty nice https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mtvn.oscuraandroid&feature=apps_topselling_paid

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 5, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It looks good and plays smooth. As far as I can tell you just jump and collect stuff and avoid enemies. The controls work a lot better than most touchscreen platformers. There's a time-slowing mechanic which I never use. I haven't gotten that far because I obsessively replay levels until I get a perfect score.

e: I couldn't think of it until after I posted but the game feels like it's trying to be Limbo.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 5, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I think I read in some interview that Notch himself was embarrassed about the pocket version of minecraft, so it might be a good idea to hold off on it

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I think I read in some interview that Notch himself was embarrassed about the pocket version of minecraft, so it might be a good idea to hold off on it

I'm embarrassed about it too, what a waste. Most $1 apps I feel like I got what I paid for, at the very least. Minecraft pocket edition wasn't worth $1, let alone $7.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Survival craft is worth the $4 I think

Edit:
I've been playing for about 2-3 hrs and it's pretty good. I really wish that the recipe book was little better placed. I also have never play minecraft so I can't compare the 2

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 6, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Survival craft is worth the $4 I think

I found the website for it today, and it seems to be being developed much more actively than minecraft PE.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Started playing Ingress on Kauai. The portals are very sparse but I appear to be the only player on the island so far. Time to clean up.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

FordPRefectLL posted:

Started playing Ingress on Kauai. The portals are very sparse but I appear to be the only player on the island so far. Time to clean up.

I WILL BARE HANDEDLY STRANGLE 20 SMALL CHILDREN FOR AN INVITE, poo poo

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

godzirraRAWR posted:

Go on Google Plus and send some nifty fanart you made to +Ingress. You are into making fanart for games you can't play, right? I'm hoping they start handing out invites to existing players soon.

I've heard they are planning to eventually open the game up to the public completely. I think right now, aside from testing what resources they'll need to scale up, they are trying to get the early adopters to submit portal candidates, since they are pretty sparse outside of urban areas. But some places might end up still being unusable, as they have some guidelines of what can and can't be a portal, and in a place without cool businesses, public art and history markers (a lot of small towns), you'll end up fighting over the local post offices and not much else.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

godzirraRAWR posted:

I got my invite today but don't even feel like playing anymore. Anyone know if there are any rules against just giving my code to someone else?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I don't remember ever having to enter my code, but I think I had copied it so maybe the game just read it from my clipboard. I never really play anyway, it runs like poo poo on my phone.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
GTA Vice City is out. At the moment everyone's getting an error when trying to download additional files (hence all the 1 star reviews), but I assume it'll be sorted out in due time.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Play store user reviews at it's best.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

So much for real names improving the SNR.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
What's the general opinion on Cyber Knights RPG? I have a hankering for some cyberpunk, and an affinity for games with deep complex mechanics.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Combat is pretty badly balanced, it's really easy to end up with a contract early on that you have very little chance of winning even with a combat focused character. There's very little feedback or information on any of the game's mechanics. And the heat system just causes further annoyances since if you wind up being attacked by a faction for some random reason, you gain Heat with them, causing them to attack you more often, giving you more Heat, making them attack you more frequently, etc. It's a really neat game in concept, it clearly is aiming for the Genesis Shadowrun game vibe, but it's very obtuse, lacking in a lot of real gameplay elements, and currently has no plot either.

Basically I want to love the hell out of it, but everytime I give it another go after a few patches, I find the same frustrating game experience awaiting me.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Looks like they must've pulled Vice City, URL no longer exists and it's not listed under Rockstar's account.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sendo posted:

Play store user reviews at it's best.

Given that downloading extra files often takes longer than your refund window, a one star review for extra file downloads that don't work seems justified.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like leveling up, getting new weapons/armor/spells, but hate random battles. Is there an RPG for me? :smith:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I know you guys were talking about Minecraft clones recently and as it turns out Block Story just went on sale. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...OeeNQ1oQVz9GnLA

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This looks way more fun than survival craft
Also on sale at Amazon

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 6, 2012

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Edit: phone posted in wrong thread.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TVarmy posted:

Mispost from Conserapedia thread.

Minecraft is a game that was created by Mojang AB. It has millions of players. Minecraft is known for having liberal bias, such as teaching kids the theory of evolution and social darwinism by introducing them to the theory of the strings by Michael D. Wales, or known as Barrack Hussein Obama

• Locked thread