Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Fo3 posted:

I didn't mean it like that, for example I said I had to give Ben up, not that I couldn't wait to drop him off.
I guess yes, this is all inside me, and like I'm saying I keep it to myself, so I vent here. Also something I didn't say is all I here from my partner when I'm there is her complaining about the staff and being locked in, so some of that may be projected and just extra frustration as all I get there is just complaints from her about the place. I don't know...
I'm in pieces myself, and all I want is some normality to return. Happy to look after him at home, unhappy to be on lockdown and be tested for a parenting licence I guess. Who would feel different?

Do you think maybe the reason you're so upset about the lockdown is that you won't be able to get a drink? Maybe they'll be able to help you get some help so you can be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Also, can't men get ppd? It just sounds like a really stressful situation for everyone :(

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fo3 posted:

Extremely disjointed relating of ongoing struggle with girlfriend's PPD treatment
I have to ask, is English your second language? Because I am having a very difficult time parsing what is actually going on and I can't tell if it there is a language barrier or if you've just got some seriously disordered thinking going on.

Your girlfriend is being treated for anxiety disorders and PPD in an inpatient facility, correct? She was released for one night and you were resentful that she didn't coparent as a completely healthy partner would? Now she's rehospitalized and you're to join her for family therapy and learning to work together to overcome her PPD and develop strategies to coparent, and you're looking at this as punishment and an opportunity for "them" to victimize or persecute you? Your attitude is frankly quite frightening. There's a level of paranoia and resentfulness in your posts that is really REALLY not healthy. I certainly hope you are seeking treatment yourself, because I am truly worried for the well-being of you, your girlfriend, and your child.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Ben is getting his 2 month shots tomorrow. I've heard about nursing during the shots for pain relief since we don't want to give him meds. When I asked at the doctor's office, they said they don't allow it because of the risk of aspirating. (I hadn't thought of that.) I have to get the shots at the health department where the nurse said it may be allowed. Did any of you do it? Any success? Is the risk too high?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My baby got his 6 week shots on tuesday. It was a 5 in 1 shot. So only 1 needle. He made a surprised/pain face when it first went in but calmed down within a minute.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

SassySally posted:

Ben is getting his 2 month shots tomorrow. I've heard about nursing during the shots for pain relief since we don't want to give him meds. When I asked at the doctor's office, they said they don't allow it because of the risk of aspirating. (I hadn't thought of that.) I have to get the shots at the health department where the nurse said it may be allowed. Did any of you do it? Any success? Is the risk too high?

The shots always took less than 5 seconds, no matter now many he needed. The nurse would have them all ready and then just bam, bam, bam, DONE. Then I'd pick him up and start soothing, generally before he even had a chance to react.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
^^^ That was my experience as well. The shots themselves were upsetting since it hurts to see your baby in pain, but he got over it quickly. The fussy aftereffects the next day were the lovely part! I've never heard of nursing during the shots, but probably still would not have done it even if I'd known. It's over so fast, and you're holding the baby the whole time. I bet you could totally nurse immediately afterward to comfort him, though.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Thirding not needing to nurse during the actual shot. It takes a few seconds and then you can nurse if he's really upset. I was anticipating needing to nurse him after his shots, because I was sure he would be hysterical, but he cried during the needle stick and the second the nurse handed him back to me, he stopped crying. Just being in my arms was enough for him to be fine again. We've been through both the 2 and 4 month shots, and they've both gone like that.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Fionnoula posted:

The shots always took less than 5 seconds, no matter now many he needed. The nurse would have them all ready and then just bam, bam, bam, DONE. Then I'd pick him up and start soothing, generally before he even had a chance to react.

This. Some kids calm down super quickly after shots and some need some nursing but I never nursed any of mine during the shots themselves.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'd planned to nurse during the shots too, but one of his was an oral vaccine. He was fine nursing afterwards. :) What they said about aspirating makes sense, because he did gasp at the shots.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I always did the "comfort boob" after the shots. He's only feeling a little pinch with each one, it's not like it's prolonged agony. Lots of hugs during and comfort nursing after.

Now Chris gets upset at the shot but forgets about 0.5 seconds later.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Just a super quick update because I had mentioned I was nervous about my appointment today. I did lose another like 2lbs. I've lost about 6lbs total since I got pregnant.

But...the baby seems to be growing just fine :) I was very relieved. It actually was very squirmy on the ultrasound too, and moved out of the way when my Dr. was trying to check the heart rate so he had to hunt it down again.
At least one of us is feeling good and full of energy!

Kind of random, but chocolate milk has been like, my thing lately. Before my pregnancy I probably didn't have any for years. Now I love it. It tastes like magic to me.
Do any of you have any food items that you liked before but are now just crazy happy for?

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 8, 2012

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Grapefruit. Those little cups of it you can buy in the chilled area near the bagged salad, the whole fruit, the juice, whatever. I like it normally but I crave it like a madwoman now.

It's great you can handle chocolate milk though. That is one of my secret weight gaining foods. Add a couple tablespoons heavy cream when you make it and you've got an extra 100 calories that you barely notice. I wound up losing 8-9 lbs from morning sickness. At 19.5 weeks I'm finally almost back up to my prepregnancy weight!

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2017

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Haha, I craved chocolate milk in my first pregnancy, and orange juice in this one!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
This pregnancy is pineapple, last one was plums and the one before I craved tinned soup.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

There was/is this restaurant in the Texas hill country (Mamacita's, if you're curious) that would give you chips, salsa, and this green, creamy cilantro dip that I really loved, and I've been craving that like mad. Of course I live in Ireland now where they don't DO Texmex, but jokes on them because I've made a reasonable approximation.

Other than that dip, just clementines and limes. So many limes.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Ceridwen posted:

Grapefruit. Those little cups of it you can buy in the chilled area near the bagged salad, the whole fruit, the juice, whatever. I like it normally but I crave it like a madwoman now.

Hey, you too? I've always loved grapefruit but with both pregnancies I was chugging grapefruit juice all day. It's pretty good for you, anyway, got a surprising array of vitamins. Assuming the acidity doesn't make you pukey.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Orange/apple juice, berries, oranges, plums/pluots, mac and cheese, ramen soup, grilled cheese sandwiches. Nothing too exotic, although there have been days where I'd kill for some decent bbq or texmex. Dandy Shrew, I know the cilantro dip you're talking about, used to get it at Los Cucos in Houston. Sooooo good!

Oh also, chocolate milk and ice cream have been big for me too, I'm not usually an ice cream eater. I feel seriously lucky to have dodged the barf bullet altogether, I've done it exactly one time while pregnant because a vitamin went down the wrong way after a big meal.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Citrus fruit. I go through a bag of clementines every other day, and can't keep popsicles in the house either. Also, waffles.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

For me, potatoes had been a 'meh, I'll eat them if they're offered to me. They're okay, but they're nothing special' kind of food items until about half way through my pregnancy when suddenly they were pretty much all I wanted to eat at all times. I still kind of want to eat the at all times even though I'm four months postpartum.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I don't really have any big cravings, but I do find myself thinking about food a lot. Like planning the Christmas dinner menu over and over in my head.

Dandy, are you an American transplant to Ireland too? I'm Michigan born and bred and have been living in Dublin the past two years.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

An Cat Dubh posted:

I don't really have any big cravings, but I do find myself thinking about food a lot. Like planning the Christmas dinner menu over and over in my head.

Dandy, are you an American transplant to Ireland too? I'm Michigan born and bred and have been living in Dublin the past two years.

I am, yeah. I'm from Rochester, NY, my husband is from Galway and we met when we were both living in SLC, Utah (him for work, me because I moved there on a whim). Instead of having to deal with the ridiculous green card hoops after his work visa expired, we just moved here. I didn't realize I'd miss some of the foods we had in the states, though! Like.. spicy italian sausage, which is basically all I wanted for a few weeks. What I wouldn't give for a Wegmans...

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I know what you mean. When I was going through morning sickness all I would want would be stuff from my favorite restaurants back home that I couldn't get here.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Apart from cravings, I also found that my tastes changed. I normally love spicy food, but during pregnancy I prefer very bland stuff. I also want sweets less, and tend to want wholesome stuff like meaty dinners and iron-rich foods.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dandy Shrew posted:

I am, yeah. I'm from Rochester, NY, my husband is from Galway and we met when we were both living in SLC, Utah (him for work, me because I moved there on a whim). Instead of having to deal with the ridiculous green card hoops after his work visa expired, we just moved here. I didn't realize I'd miss some of the foods we had in the states, though! Like.. spicy italian sausage, which is basically all I wanted for a few weeks. What I wouldn't give for a Wegmans...

I'm from Rochester too (Fairport) but I live in NC now. I'd kill for a Wegmans too :(

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ceridwen posted:

It's great you can handle chocolate milk though. That is one of my secret weight gaining foods. Add a couple tablespoons heavy cream when you make it and you've got an extra 100 calories that you barely notice. I wound up losing 8-9 lbs from morning sickness. At 19.5 weeks I'm finally almost back up to my prepregnancy weight!

Yeah I'm really happy about it, I only drink it at night before or after dinner because I seem to be able to keep my dinner down consistently. Everything else is iffy...
I might just try that with the cream.
That's great you're back up to your previous weight! I have a feeling it will take me awhile too. Everyone has been suggesting I try eating eggs in the morning. I finally did, and they were in my stomach for about 10 minutes.

I currently live in Rochester :) I've been here about 6 years.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I am now 3 weeks post partum but while pregnant I craved both grapefruit juice and lemonade hardcore. I've always loved grapefruits but during pregnancy I just couldn't get enough.

I also had the occasional craving for the little chocolate milk jugs that come in McDonalds happy meals.

I'm a little disappointed that during the 9 months I didn't crave anything really strange like pickles and ice cream or ketchup sandwiches. I was looking forward to a good story.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

I'm a little disappointed that during the 9 months I didn't crave anything really strange like pickles and ice cream or ketchup sandwiches. I was looking forward to a good story.

I had *one* weird craving that came to me at midnight a couple weeks ago. Bananas drizzled in olive oil. I don't know how it popped into my head, but I *needed* to eat it, and it was the strangest sensation to want something like that so badly. I tried to go back to sleep, but I just had to eat a sliced banana with olive oil.

So I did.

It was loving delicious, which weirded me out even more, and then I went back to bed and dreamt about Hugh Jackman as Wolverine doing my dishes. Pregnancy is loving weird.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Dandy Shrew posted:

I had *one* weird craving that came to me at midnight a couple weeks ago. Bananas drizzled in olive oil. I don't know how it popped into my head, but I *needed* to eat it, and it was the strangest sensation to want something like that so badly. I tried to go back to sleep, but I just had to eat a sliced banana with olive oil.

So I did.

It was loving delicious, which weirded me out even more, and then I went back to bed and dreamt about Hugh Jackman as Wolverine doing my dishes. Pregnancy is loving weird.

Ahhahaha, that is wonderful.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Dandy Shrew posted:

So I did.

I turned into some racist fuckhole during my pregnancy, because all I want to eat is chicken and watermelon. :psyduck: Or ribs. Oh God, BBQ ribs are the poo poo now. I should inform everyone that I was vegetarian before my pregnancy, and now the majority of vegetables taste like charcoal right now.

As far as dreams, I like you have had some crazy rear end celeb men ones. I remember during the first trimester I dreamt that I had Darren Criss from Glee tied up in some kind of sex dungeon. WTF.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2017

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Hastings posted:

I turned into some racist fuckhole during my pregnancy, because all I want to eat is chicken and watermelon. :psyduck: Or ribs. Oh God, BBQ ribs are the poo poo now. I should inform everyone that I was vegetarian before my pregnancy, and now the majority of vegetables taste like charcoal right now.

I'm the opposite. I have no issues with eating meat normally, but while pregnant I mostly dislike it. It's gotten better since the morning sickness is mostly gone now, to the point I can at least tolerate meat, but I'm still pretty averse to it. For a while I would pick all the meat out of everything I ate.

I haven't had cravings for anything I don't normally like (no weird combos or anything). But I did get a craving for Sara Lee coffee cake (something my mom used to get us as a treat when I was a kid). Which it turns out cannot be purchased in my state.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Greycious posted:

Yeah I'm really happy about it, I only drink it at night before or after dinner because I seem to be able to keep my dinner down consistently. Everything else is iffy...
I might just try that with the cream.
That's great you're back up to your previous weight! I have a feeling it will take me awhile too. Everyone has been suggesting I try eating eggs in the morning. I finally did, and they were in my stomach for about 10 minutes.

I currently live in Rochester :) I've been here about 6 years.

Oh god, eggs have been my one aversion, I was never too fond of them before I was pregnant, now I can't even deal with the smell. They don't make me feel sick, they just smell like farts cooking and I don't want to be anywhere near them.

I ate a giant bowl of berries and grapes and a banana last night and spent the entire night having the most atrocious indigestion ;(

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I used to just eat whatever I made the baby for lunch, but now I'm sick of it all so we've been eating out a lot. Chipotle's is a particular favorite, good thing Chris can eat there now too.

Haven't had any peculiar cravings nor did I have any last pregnancy. I feel cheated.

I get some pretty strong dislikes though. Last pregnancy was chinese food, now it seems to be tacos (or anything cumin heavy, I imagine chili would be the same way).

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Lullabee posted:

I lived in Georgia and Oklahoma before moving to California. So of course, I crave foods that I can't get - QT sandwiches and frozen icees, bojangles chicken and dirty rice, so forth. It sucks :sigh:

No weird cravings so far to me yet - I seem to be the pregnant type who doesn't crave something until she sees/hears about it. My go to has been fries and ranch. I could eat that for days and be super content. As far as dreams, I've had them all - celebrity sex dreams, dreams about giving birth, all of them.

If you think of anything that's mail-able let me know, I live in GA. Cheerwine? barbeque sauce? Email me if you get a craving greatween at yahoo dot com.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009

Dandy Shrew posted:

So I did.

That is hilarious.

I smelled some mint-flavored lip balm and now I want mint chocolate chip ice cream intensely. I'm trying to convince myself that this is a pregnancy craving and I should give in because the embryo wants it, rather than just... me wanting ice cream.

Seriously, everything I look at is making me think of it. The toy on my desk is mint green. First email in my inbox: Mint.com.

soft kitty
Dec 7, 2012
For a few weeks I craved canned green beans.

Has anyone had carpal tunnel during a previous pregnancy? I'm currently 28 weeks, and my wrists are so bad I have difficulty picking up my cat. I'm a little worried that I'll have trouble picking up my newborn.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

soft kitty posted:

For a few weeks I craved canned green beans.

Has anyone had carpal tunnel during a previous pregnancy? I'm currently 28 weeks, and my wrists are so bad I have difficulty picking up my cat. I'm a little worried that I'll have trouble picking up my newborn.

My doctor says I do, but my symptoms aren't the same as yours. I don't have any pain during the day, but both hands just fall asleep as soon as I lie down. It's actually driving me quite nuts. Of course, the only time they don't fall asleep is when I'm on my back, but I feel like I'm being crushed to death.

For what it's worth, my doctor said it should go away right after I give birth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Oh man, the dreams! I've always had very vivid dreams, where I can often remember more than one in a night. They've gotten even crazier. A couple nights ago, a guy I only know via Facebook and I were running from medieval assassin monks and I was attacking them Buffy the Vampire style. Last night, I was working on the Moon, and realized none of us had helmets on, and we could breathe on the moon! Then someone told me they worked at the same worm farm I used to work at. (I have... never worked at a worm farm. What IS a worm farm?!) The random sex dreams are kinda nice, even if I feel weirded out when it's someone I know.

My joints have been killing me, knees, hips, wrists, and I'm a little concerned it's the Lyme Disease I got back in July. Going to have to get a blood test to see if it's still "active" or whatever. It's the same kind of joint pain I had when I was first diagnosed with it. I feel like I'm still too early (just 13 weeks 3 days) for joint pain.