Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Cleretic posted:

And while I'm at it, Whiteout #3 is pretty crap too. I can always appreciate a chance to fight my Nemesis, but Whiteout #3 is a waste of time completely irrelevant to the story at hand. Yes, I'm sure Cyberlord is very scary, but right now we're fighting aliens that have taken over the entire military presence in the area, that takes priority over some cyborg with an airship.

I get the feeling that Cyberlord was meant to be foreshadowing of Mechanon's involvement. Canonically, prior to Whiteout, Cyberlord was supposedly killed by Justiciar, so who could have brought him back to life? Then there's also Whiteout's ending, the fact that Mechanon's been established to be stuck on the moon, and the fact that this is officially the first mission to take place in space at any point of time.

You're kind of right, though. Aside from that, Cyberlord is an entirely left-field diversion, used only as an excuse to explain why Steelhead gets overrun in the next part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think that was the point though. The way I interpreted it was that we're fighting off these aliens and our attention is being spend there--oh no! A dastardly villain is taking advantage of our current crisis to advance his own interests! The nemesis thing though... that was just dumb. I love beating the poo poo out of my nemesis since it's fun and all. But it just seemed out of place.

Speaking of, the base Nemesis system STILL needs work. I understand why we can't have freeform nemesis powers, but could we get more power sets, and maybe custom minion? Or, more importantly, better personalities? Pretty sure that's been groused to no end, but how hard is it to write some more canned lines?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

I think that was the point though. The way I interpreted it was that we're fighting off these aliens and our attention is being spend there--oh no! A dastardly villain is taking advantage of our current crisis to advance his own interests! The nemesis thing though... that was just dumb. I love beating the poo poo out of my nemesis since it's fun and all. But it just seemed out of place.

Speaking of, the base Nemesis system STILL needs work. I understand why we can't have freeform nemesis powers, but could we get more power sets, and maybe custom minion? Or, more importantly, better personalities? Pretty sure that's been groused to no end, but how hard is it to write some more canned lines?

I'm going to sound like a pubbie about their precious characters' histories, but I do kinda sorta wish Cryptic would just fix Nemesis instances and the Nemesis creator. I want to see the minions in the creator, and after seeing the best and worst the game can throw at me with regards to players' biographies, I am curious to know what the hell they've written up for their Nemesis.

I mean, at the start of one Nemesis Smash run I just remarked, "Who is this shitbird?" as a, well, shittily rendered bird was touching up the goods on the docks. Apparently, the pub that made the guy exploded about how this guy killed his unborn divine children or some poo poo and I was a horrible person for then mocking his nemesis being a shoddily mismatched dude of parts and colours. And of course, not tanking during the fight. We did somehow pull it off, at least, but jesus, what an overreaction.

Unsurprisingly, his bio, of course, then mentioned aforementioned shitbird extensively in his background as the killer of his unborn scions and god knows what else.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bluhman posted:

I get the feeling that Cyberlord was meant to be foreshadowing of Mechanon's involvement. Canonically, prior to Whiteout, Cyberlord was supposedly killed by Justiciar, so who could have brought him back to life? Then there's also Whiteout's ending, the fact that Mechanon's been established to be stuck on the moon, and the fact that this is officially the first mission to take place in space at any point of time.

You're kind of right, though. Aside from that, Cyberlord is an entirely left-field diversion, used only as an excuse to explain why Steelhead gets overrun in the next part.

This was my impression, too.

Also, spoilers for the end of the arc and where it seems like it's going to go once they catch up with the lost development time from Atari screwing them over.

The last "comic book page" pretty much spells out that Whiteout is going to have a sequel. Cyberlord was pretty clearly a setup for the sequel or a spinoff arc, as were the Star Guardians. The latter of which got a one off mention as having blown the Roin'esh to hell and back before their main ship could get to Earth, pretty much saving everyone from getting murdered by the race of Not-Venom's. So apparently there are space based heroes out there too, similar to Marvel Cosmic.

I've got a feeling that that content's going to be space heavy when it comes. And Cyberlord being reconstructed is just a lead-in to a second arc.

Cyberlord, to my knowledge, isn't an alien or space based like the others. He's just really smart and obsessed with technology. So it makes sense that if he got the opportunity to salvage some crazy space age tech, he'd go for it. Which could act as an opening for another story where whatever rebuilt him comes back and starts to tear poo poo up.

All in all, seems like we're liable to get a space zone of some sort out of this. We already have the mechanics for low gravity (It's present on the moon base hideout map.), the mechanics for gravity-less environments exist but aren't used that much, and vehicles would be a great addition to that.

Plus City of Heroes and Champions Online have had the community begging for that "moon" or space map for years. And given how the CO devs seem to love one-upping CoH's legacy (Again, vehicles.) it seems a shoe-in for new content sometime down the line. Hell, I think at release, before Atari started being assholes, there was talk of it being one of the planned new zones that never came to light after Atari realized they couldn't sell access to zones like Vibora Bay.

Edit: Keep in mind they did the same "hint at alternate storylines/bigger bad guys" thing with the "Kings of Edom" arc. They even got one off mentions at release in the game world that were grimdark as all hell. Like this one:

One of several books you can find in the game world describing the Kings of Edom posted:

There are other Kings beyond those in the Cannibal Hall. All are trapped and imprisoned now, but those prisons are older than our world, and they creak and groan. Five-eyed Vulshoth lies chained within the Black Maze, and Those Who Dwell in Bleakness are chained within the Shining Darkness of a dying cosmos. Ptharr is buried at the heart of another world, and Diezzhorath is spread too thinly to act.

There are others, but all share the same goal: To escape! They will claim to be demons, they will claim to be gods, but they are neither. They will promise power and anything that is desired, but all they grant is a slavery more horrible then can be imagined. For they cannot be bound by word or spell, and ignore the laws of magic and nature. They care only for their freedom and their hungers, and should they escape they will drag our world down their maw, where all that is will be devoured.

When Demonflame was released they got a minor appearance through their avatars, while Luther Black was the main focus. There were little hints here and there about them, but Demonflame didn't specifically go into more detail on them outside of a few characters pretty much saying "Yeah, these guys are pretty loving horrifying and even you should stay away from them.".

Then Aftershock came around, and poo poo exploded. Suddenly they get a lot more focus and later on become the main bad guys of the arc, the hell dimension they're in is coming apart at the seams, and they're trying to get to Earth by possessing you in a fairly Lovecraftian manner so that they can have some fun. Things go downhill from there for every character involved.

So I can believe that Cyberlord was at the very least originally a potential lead-in to another storyline. They actually do show some forethought on that sort of thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 4, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've noticed an annoying thing for my Melee guy. I have it set so attacking doesn't automatically select a target. Normally the auto attack and any clicked attacks are smart enough to attack whatever is in front of me, or even start up aimed at somebody nearby in the E builder's case.

However, sometimes the builder will turn on... Then not attack at all. One highlight case is the "Belligerent" enemies with the Cobra lords. Pretty much every single one of them, I'll turn on the E builder, it will attack anybody else, but those huge guys? Nada. so I gotta tab target them or cancel mouse look (since mouse look makes aiming Ego Frenzy around a hell of a lot easier) to click on them.

EDIT: Well that's odd. Seems the problem was that I switched to "Toggle, Never cancel". Apparently the setting to never turn off your attack unless you want it to stop, means you don't attack at all without a target. I put it back to "Toggle, Change Cancels', and it will happily attack people without a selected target again. Because the setting to never stop attacking means don't attack, and the setting to stop attacking means keep attacking I guess.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 5, 2012

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I played this at launch and quit within a month. Does my account get any bonuses for having been subscribed once, or shouldn't I bother with digging up my old login info?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Veteran rewards only apply for subscribed time (though if you got a lifetime sub for any reason, this will count for the entire inactive period.)

I'd still encourage giving it another go, especially considering there's been like 3 years of consistent power-rebalancing and role definition added in, as well as a lot of new and functional content.

I actually really have to laud that specialization system. It helps give the game a sort of working class system without actually subtracting any build flexibility.

LJHalfbreed
Apr 3, 2009
I think if more people just tried it out with a set of fresh eyes, and not glaring at it because it's 'not CoH/CoV', they'd have a lot more fun with it.

Hell, especially since 90% of the stuff out there you can buy or find in game (drops, Qite store, convert Qite->Zen for zen store stuff), anything you want is within your reach. Just by doing the dailies you can easily rack up 50+ zen. Ten days of that? 5 superbux (500z) to spend in the real money store on boots or new powers.

You can also use that 'scheme' to waste an hour or so a day racking up your 8000q and converting it to zen (or at least refining it), and then going off to play something else. In about 3 months? You'll have enough zen to buy a freeform slot, or pretty much anything else you could think of in the store.

Don't get me wrong, I loved CoX, and I'm not blind to CO's flaws, but drat... people need to get off their high-horses and come play superhero barbies with your goons, no matter what the title of the box says.

PS. Then again, CoX was my 'life' for a while back there. Maybe I'm not viewing it through the requisite rose-colored glasses. vOv

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Dinictus posted:

I'm going to sound like a pubbie about their precious characters' histories, but I do kinda sorta wish Cryptic would just fix Nemesis instances and the Nemesis creator. I want to see the minions in the creator, and after seeing the best and worst the game can throw at me with regards to players' biographies, I am curious to know what the hell they've written up for their Nemesis.

The best nemesis I encountered in an alert was "The Feminista's" Rush Limbaugh-alike rival. That was the moment I knew that I liked the game.

Then I had to take on 4 or 5 Bane-alikes in a row and got fed up with it again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skinty McEdger posted:

The best nemesis I encountered in an alert was "The Feminista's" Rush Limbaugh-alike rival. That was the moment I knew that I liked the game.

Then I had to take on 4 or 5 Bane-alikes in a row and got fed up with it again.

I seem to run into a ton of "Destructo", "Lilith", "Backstab", "Deathmetal", and a couple others I can't remember. Are those defaults for people who leave the name field blank? (I didn't think you could leave the name field blank.)

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Legacy travel powers ruining my character concepts. I have this 400 science skill character and nothing to show for it. :argh:

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Hm, thinking like trying this again, but I played this back at launch and... while I didn't hate it, it didn't hold on to me either. CO had a few issues that turned me off, and I'd be interested to hear if they've been resolved.

1) Unbalanced powers/sets. I wanted to make 1H Sword or Martial Arts characters for example, but they were a bit crap. My first character used Force, and the personal force field power was rubbish compared to Regen.

2) Lack of content. There were a few times while levelling my original characters that I'd completely run out of missions to do, and it always felt like all my characters were doing the same sets of missions.

3) Lack of teaming. I can't recall EVER teaming for fun, only out of necessity. The vast majority of content was soloable and I don't recall teaming improving it.

4) Tone. I'm not a RPer, but I do like to have some lore to put punching aliens in the nuts into context. Pretty much everything in CO was a joke or reference though, and a deeply unfunny one. (Anchorman...)

5) Increasing grind. The last major change I remember was when they introduced some new craftable travel powers, and you had to farm thousands(?) of items off of VIPER to make them. It was utterly ridiculous.

I assume 2 at least has improved, but have the others got much better?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

geri_khan posted:

1) Unbalanced powers/sets. I wanted to make 1H Sword or Martial Arts characters for example, but they were a bit crap. My first character used Force, and the personal force field power was rubbish compared to Regen.

They did balance passes on almost every power set (I think Fighting Claws still hasn't been looked at) so everything's on a roughly even keel nowadays. It's obviously still imperfect, but you won't get laughed at for using one thing over the other.

quote:

2) Lack of content. There were a few times while levelling my original characters that I'd completely run out of missions to do, and it always felt like all my characters were doing the same sets of missions.

They did a rejiggering of all of the quests a while back as well. It's nearly impossible to run out of questing content to hit 40 with.

quote:

3) Lack of teaming. I can't recall EVER teaming for fun, only out of necessity. The vast majority of content was soloable and I don't recall teaming improving it.

There's new things called Alerts where you join up with 4 other random people to complete a short task. It's the perfect sort of teaming for the game, really: Quick with good rewards and relatively fun.

quote:

4) Tone. I'm not a RPer, but I do like to have some lore to put punching aliens in the nuts into context. Pretty much everything in CO was a joke or reference though, and a deeply unfunny one. (Anchorman...)

Basically all of the content they released after opening day has been either relatively neutral in tone or ridiculously dark. You'll see what I mean when you get to the Vibora Bay Crisis.

quote:

5) Increasing grind. The last major change I remember was when they introduced some new craftable travel powers, and you had to farm thousands(?) of items off of VIPER to make them. It was utterly ridiculous.

Someone else will have to answer this more fully, but most of the actual "achievable" things like items, costume pieces, etc. aren't too onerous to get. It's a good game to play casually.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Did they honestly give archery a look-over?

LJHalfbreed
Apr 3, 2009

(I'm starting to feel like some sort of CO apologist)

1.) They've done some really really great rebalancing. And continuing to do so. And the archetypes are no longer horrid either. Now granted, there are a few issues still (PFF is still doing some rebalancing, but they've adjusted how shields layer, so that's useful), but generally speaking, you can take whatever skills you want and it's much harder to gimp or otherwise 'be bad' at the game. My main is a robotic film noir detective tank that uses pistols (hey! did you hear? they're awesome now!), defiance, and has swinging as a travel power. And yes, the rumors are true... swinging is an amazingly fun power.

2.) This one is arguable. No, there is no Mission Architect (although one is supposedly in the works, a la STO's foundry). Yes, there are Alerts, which are basically like comic book one-shots, but due to them still being fleshed out and developed, you'll see the same "DOCKSIDE DUSTUP vs BADGUYS" enough to get annoyed. Yes, you still generally go through the same mission hierarchy, depending on which areas you tend to stick to. Also, the 'freeing up' of adventure packs for paid and free players alike give you some relatively fun things to do as well. They're supposedly working on a lot of this (The influx of cash from lockboxes and possible CoX converts is supposed to help), but you can definitely get the feeling of 'sameness' if you spend too long grinding out alts without trying alternate ways of leveling.

3.) Teaming is still an issue. Slightly. Sort of. There are definitely reasons to team (nemcons, adventure packs), some forced teaming (alerts, that skycarrier...thing), and definitely some powers which benefit teammates, but by and large, this is a 'Team if you want to' game. Its extremely casual and solo-centric at times, so this might not be your cup of tea. The adventure packs and Alerts might be plenty for you, however.

4.) Everything is still a reference or shout-out, but I think they've handled the tone a bit better. Its still tongue-in-cheek most times, so if you're looking for grimdark or super edgy, you'll still have to wade through the earlier content to do so.

5.) The only real grind is for questionite (another currency, which can be exchanged for zen, which is superbux bought with RL cash), and even then, you're limited to how much you can convert daily. However, this is mainly there to give free players the opportunity to buy items/powers/abilities/etc without having to throw actual cash at the game. However, if you're looking to get every nifty rare costume drop, you're gonna be fighting a lot of dudes for a long, long time.

e:f,b

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
So, freeforms are hurting my brain. Sounds like supports are pretty useless, which sucks since I like playing supports. Is it at least viable to do something like stack a build out with auras and resistance debuffs? (And does Penetrating Strikes in the Brawler tree affect all incoming damage, or only yours?)

What kind of stuff should I take to not die?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Supports are great! Having one a a team is often the difference between success and complete failure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

geri_khan posted:

Single Blade was great at launch, and it's still good now.

Unarmed is one of the best sets in the game now.

quote:

The gaps no longer exist. There's still a lack of content in that every character follows the same path if you level by mission, though.

quote:

Still the case for missions. Alerts are group content though.

quote:

Yes.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I might play some more since I saw you can get a freeform slot with Zen. What restrictions can't be gotten around by throwing Zen at them? Or, in other words, what exists that REQUIRES a sub?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tsurupettan posted:

I might play some more since I saw you can get a freeform slot with Zen. What restrictions can't be gotten around by throwing Zen at them? Or, in other words, what exists that REQUIRES a sub?

Power color changing.

(Also it's a lot of Zen. It's $50.)

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Cuchulain posted:

Supports are great! Having one a a team is often the difference between success and complete failure.

It really is. And it made me all the more appreciative of supports, myself. Heck, I even bound a quick local message to prevent people respawning, ever since I unlocked the revive and advantage'd it up to revive a guy up to full health.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just wish you could do the Brawler/FPS-style controls and still have the ability to support well. The F2-F5 keys just straight up stop working so it's drat near impossible to shield/heal someone in time.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I really want to get into this game again but the character creator is kicking my rear end. Everything I try to make looks like poo poo, and that's assuming I can even find where some of the things are hidden in the first place (Example being the long scarf that you can only pick you if you wear tights). My method of making a character in City of Heroes was screwing around with the character creator to see what looked awesome, then pick a power that matched. This game seems to be fighting me every step of the way.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think there is some stupid limiter on the costume creation (as in, you don't get to see every available part?) until you've completed the in-game tutorial or something now. Make something quick, do the tutorial, and then try again perhaps?

I agree that some of the combo restrictions are bullshit though, that scarf is a great example too. I've ran into that exact same issue before.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cuchulain posted:

This really can't be stated enough. Many of the alerts are based around you not trying to go full DPS. In fact, the XP alerts have some mechanics that tend to gently caress over teams that act like idiots. If you try to go full DPS in an alert (That isn't the two minute rumble.), often the best you can do if you do is hope that you have teammates who know how to keep the adds off of you long enough to finish the mission.

This goes doubly so for any elite tier group arcs. The arcs are all soloable at the default difficulty level, but at elite they're pretty much deathtraps if you try to go it alone. At that point you need a healer to get the rewards from that difficulty tier.

It should be mentioned that you really want to do group content on elite (When at max level.) too. The only way to get access to the best loot tables is to do certain mission types (Which default to elite tier difficulty anyways.), or set your difficulty to elite.

Many of the story arcs also have unique drops that can't be obtained anywhere else by playing through them on elite, too. Case in point, every arc has unique outfits you can unlock, unique travel powers (Dark Speed is basically a black version of Light speed, and I think it has the highest/only drop rate on Elite.), new devices, and gear with unique effects.

Edit: Also, according to the forums this game has something better than STO's fire extinguisher when it comes to pissing players off. Teliosaur Pheremones apparently summon Jurassic Park style velociraptors. However, unlike the summon powers, there's apparently no upper cap to how many times they can be summoned. So if you were to take them into an instance that relied on people not being nailed in place by a tide of dinosaurs... :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know Elite had that much stuff specific to it. What kind of costume drops are we talking about here?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I didn't know Elite had that much stuff specific to it. What kind of costume drops are we talking about here?

Every one of the old comic book arcs had gear in it, from what I recall. I'm assuming the new ones do too, though they all definitely give access to the better loot tables. The better loot tables thing was a serious complaint at release, since Elite had no point in either game around then. However the developers slipped that in during the "Atari wants to loving kill us" period of time Cryptic was going through.

Aside from elite giving access to better loot tables, we're talking potentially account wide costume unlocks, gear, and devices in some cases.

A good example of this would be in Resistance. I believe if you kill the last boss on Elite difficulty, you get a unique costume unlock that can't be obtained anywhere else in the game. And I do recall when I checked several months ago, that the costume unlocks that were dropping there were still selling for a pretty hefty amount.

Edit: This is also why Serpent Lantern isn't that well liked for its lackluster story, but is tolerable for a lot of people. Serpent Lantern is definitely the most "CoH" mission, in that it's fairly generic in terms of the mission level design. However, Serpent Lantern on elite drops a metric poo poo-ton of good gear, which is useful in ensuring that you stay geared up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 7, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Looking at the CO wiki, I see the elite mode Resistance item (bigass wings). But the wiki is of course poorly laid out so there doesn't seem to be any sort of "show me poo poo I can only get on elite" link, and the non-Resistance adventure pack pages seem to be outdated and organized differently. Typical Champs community, I guess.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The CO wiki is really poorly maintained. I've never seen an active MMO with a Wiki that can go weeks without getting patch notes added, or years without images of some enemies. Usually a game has at least like five super-sperg guys that dedicate their lives to it's wiki, but CO just doesn't. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of the game to deal with, for me, having nowhere good to go to get info or see unlockable costume stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The owner of the wiki started it to boost her own standing and restricts who can submit to it to an inner circle.

They spend more time attacking people who say the wiki sucks than doing anything with it.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

prefect posted:

I seem to run into a ton of "Destructo", "Lilith", "Backstab", "Deathmetal", and a couple others I can't remember. Are those defaults for people who leave the name field blank? (I didn't think you could leave the name field blank.)
Those are defaults for people who haven't made a nemesis at all. Usually because they're below level 25.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Aphrodite posted:

The owner of the wiki started it to boost her own standing and restricts who can submit to it to an inner circle.

They spend more time attacking people who say the wiki sucks than doing anything with it.

"Well why don't YOU start a wiki and tell us how that goes, then." :smug:

We had one, for a while. I'm pretty sure it and all its data are long gone by now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

"Well why don't YOU start a wiki and tell us how that goes, then." :smug:

We had one, for a while. I'm pretty sure it and all its data are long gone by now.

They stole some of our stuff too.

They don't have it anymore, but they ripped off our images before.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I remember spending a little time with Single blade a while back, I liked it's style but I can see why people would dislike it compared to other melee sets with a "Push once or twice to murder all minions at once" early AoE. Trying Ego Blades for the first time and holy poo poo that Tier 1 Ego Frenzy.

Is the "Swallow Tail Cut" advantage on Scything blade that causes percentage damage still cool? I remember trying it and liking it, but had some misgivings about it (Doesn't on Supervillain or higher, only applies in the first place if it is the first Bleed effect on a target, damage decreases per tick).

Of course straight up Melee and Range damage I can wrap my head around for the first half of the levels power picks and super stats. Where it get horrifically indecisive is more quirky builds like Power armor (Rec primary, Int/Ego secondary? What?) Sorcery (Why do people keep saying Sorc has piles of CC? It only has two single target Crowd Control powers) Super stats and what passive go get that's good solo but not totally selfish in a team, etc.

At least Questonite isn't loving required for crafting like Dilithium is for STO now. I was about to get back into the game to try out their new space shotguns and skill changes, but the introduction of Dilithium really ruined it for me. Since I could always just do a lazy loop around an enemy free zone for crafting components whenever I wanted to fully set up everything like I wanted (Or NEEDED, since It was Crafting Or pray for drops to get Cannons on my Escort without learning to play the auction house).

I DO want to get back onto Sorcery though. My favorite City Of Heroes character was originally my clueless playing with pure arcane sorcery Champions character. May grab medical nanites for both theme, and hoping it triggers Compassion or something.

Also yes, the CO wiki is terrible. Most of the stuff is there but then there are problems. Like there is a compassion entry if you search for, it but it's not listed with sorc powers. Or it saying eyebeams takes 0.15 energy to start, and 0.1 energy per second :downs:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Power color changing.

(Also it's a lot of Zen. It's $50.)

Haha, wow, really? Just that? Jesus. Whoop de doo. And $50 isn't that bad, I'm used to playing STO. :v:

Archonex posted:

Edit: Also, according to the forums this game has something better than STO's fire extinguisher when it comes to pissing players off. Teliosaur Pheremones apparently summon Jurassic Park style velociraptors. However, unlike the summon powers, there's apparently no upper cap to how many times they can be summoned. So if you were to take them into an instance that relied on people not being nailed in place by a tide of dinosaurs... :unsmigghh:

Welp, time to reinstall. Any of the f2p archetypes not dogshit? I remember one of them was excruciatingly awful, but can't recall which.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's $50 for a single Freeform slot, in case that wasn't clear. Not just Freeform access in general. This is pretty important to understand. You aren't buying access to a freeform AT, you're buying a single character slot that can access the Freeform system.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Most of the ATs are pretty awful, and they're all objectively worse than Freeform in multiple ways (gets less powers than Freeform, has probably more bad powers than good ones, locks you into a playstyle that you really aren't aware of until it's too late, you get most of the good powers really late). The question is really trying to pick one that's less bad than the rest. More recently released ones tend to be overall better, though, while the earlier ATs are much more hit-and-miss.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Most of the ATs are pretty awful, and they're all objectively worse than Freeform in multiple ways (gets less powers than Freeform, has probably more bad powers than good ones, locks you into a playstyle that you really aren't aware of until it's too late, you get most of the good powers really late). The question is really trying to pick one that's less bad than the rest. More recently released ones tend to be overall better, though, while the earlier ATs are much more hit-and-miss.

To be fair, an AT is never going to match up to a freeform character, since the freeform slot lets you pick and choose your powers. You can do some downright absurd things with the right freeform power combos.

Like taking Supernatural Power to get infinite energy, then being able to fire a massive gatling gun for literally infinite amounts of time without having to stop to recharge your energy. Or pin a guy in place with an uppercut, then call down an orbital ion cannon strike on him, before hitting him so hard that he goes flying back into a building, pretty much instakilling him.

Or hell, just turning yourself into a nigh unkillable monstrosity that can take hits from weapons that in universe would probably take out a battleship. The number of clever things you can do with some of the defensive and offensive passives is pretty impressive.

There's a reason why freeform players can't opt to play in the AT PVP brackets. There's just no way they could balance them against each other without breaking what makes freeform so interesting to many people.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's $50 for a single Freeform slot, in case that wasn't clear. Not just Freeform access in general. This is pretty important to understand. You aren't buying access to a freeform AT, you're buying a single character slot that can access the Freeform system.

Yeah, I can live with that. I played on/off since release and, unlike CoH, I never really felt the same 'GOTTA MAKE ALTS' thing.

And yep, I know freeform will trump archetypes, I'm just wondering which ones are 'good for what they are'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Metrohunter posted:

Yep, I wouldn't call it an amazing rework (at least a third of the powers were cribbed from Munitions), but it's certainly not horrible now, and has a gimmick (that being having crazy range on its main damage dealing powers).

Cleretic posted:

AT's are actually pretty good now, mainly due to some strange diminishing returns buff that some older players can explain. The big really good ones are the Jedi archetype, the Munitions archetype, and the wind/electricity archetypes. They're also pretty decent at showing you what a halfway competent power build looks like.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 7, 2012