Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Another option, although probably further in the future than 1.9, would be something like prompt:

Attach the modifiers as part of the onscreen keyboard.

This is what I was thinking. On iPhone, it might look something like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

dexter6 posted:

I'm having trouble posting with an image from my library. Keeps saying unknown error occurred (-1).

(v 1.9)
So after trying this with the same image / thread from my computer, it turns out SA was throwing an error about file size.

So, it would be nice if two things happened:
1. Awful would at least elegantly handle this error message and pass it along to me
2. Ideally, the app would resize the photo itself. This was taken with an iPhone 5 so I'm not sure if camera phone pics are too large these days or what.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Awful uploads to imgur, it doesn't use the "attach file" feature, so size isn't necessarily the problem. We should definitely be showing a more useful error message, though, and allow for resizing the image.

How big was the image in question? Both in dimension and file size.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Since it was taken on the iPhone 5 the resolution should be 3264x2448.

Diocenes
Jul 18, 2003
Bad Drummer
I love this app!

My only suggestion:
I'd like to be able to load emoticons, but not load other images.

For browsing on 3G I usually keep image loading turned off, but this means that emoticons don't load.

If there is some way to split out this setting, it would be great!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ignore this test.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 4, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cool rock.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

withak posted:

Cool rock.

It was the first Google Image result for "picture."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Diabolik900 posted:

A well-deserved position.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Diabolik900 posted:

It's like a slice of giant rocky cheesecake.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gloriously cross-bedded cheescake.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
When I click on a link to a post (within a quote) I get a 404 error every time.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

When I click on a link to a post (within a quote) I get a 404 error every time.
Same here

Here's why:

code:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/file:///showthread.php?goto=post&postid=410302519#post410302519

That "file:///" clearly isn't supposed to be there. Sorry if this is repeat info from earlier in the thread. I hadn't seen it.

choobs fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 7, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah we don't handle relative URLs so well. poo poo's fixed in 1.9.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I GOT 1.9, SUCKERS

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lies

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Edit: AND I POSTED THAT IMAGE FROM AWFUL ALSO

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What sorcery is this?! Also the new navigations buttons at the bottom are looking sweet! Any timeframe for this update, oh mighty, Awful Gods?

Edit: Shame on you for not using Dark Mode. I'd be interested to see the split between dark/light mode users if that's available :spergin:

101 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 7, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

This dark mode?

I honestly don't use dark mode in any other apps, but I've taken to it in Awful 1.9.

Not sure if he's submitted it to Apple yet, but Pokeyman finalized 1.9 some time yesterday.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

I honestly don't use dark mode in any other apps, but I've taken to it in Awful 1.9.
I exclusive use dark mode if there's a choice. Just more comfortable on my eyes.

Diabolik900 posted:

Not sure if he's submitted it to Apple yet, but Pokeyman finalized 1.9 some time yesterday.
Good to hear. Is the post window black in dark mode now? I remember it being brought up (I think my me) and added to 'the list'.
Really appreciate all your hard work Pokeyman.

Edit: Are you two testers by the way? Or is there someway to get 1.9 early I'm unaware of.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's allllll black. There is no way to get 1.9 from the appstore currently.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Edit: Are you two testers by the way? Or is there someway to get 1.9 early I'm unaware of.

The Dave and I (mostly Dave in the last few versions) have been doing most of the design for the app, while Pokeyman takes care of all the real development work. There are some more beta testers, but I'm honestly not sure who they are at this point. I'd assume that pseudonordic is from his posts.

If you know what you're doing, you could get 1.9 now by building it from source.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I am a tester thanks to pokeyman being a nice guy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I will also offer to tester if testes are needed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

poo poo's "waiting for review". Enjoy the two week wait.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
If anyone wants more screenshots, lemme know!

Edit: I wish I could capture a gif of the silky-smooth refresh animation.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 7, 2012

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

If you know what you're doing, you could get 1.9 now by building it from source.

I don't, so I'll just

pokeyman posted:

Enjoy the two week wait.

I also volunteer to test should the need arise.

Won't it take longer than two weeks due to the 'Christmas rush'?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

No idea how long it'll take, just throwing out a guess.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

pokeyman posted:

poo poo's "waiting for review". Enjoy the two week wait.

I will.

Posted from Awful 1.9

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else notice that sometimes when you long press to select some text it will highlight the entire post and there's no way to get it to highlight just a word or anything less than the whole post, even if you try dragging the select box handles? Sometimes it's fine though, and I can't see a pattern in the behavior.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah, that's some fuckery I haven't figured out yet. I get the same thing in Safari sometimes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, that's some fuckery I haven't figured out yet. I get the same thing in Safari sometimes.
Yeah me too so maybe it's an ios issue. Seems to happen more often in awful though. Not a big deal, just weird.

Does 1.9 allow more zooming in on pics when they're clicked and open full screen? I know it'd pixelate in some cases but I'd still love that option.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

randyest posted:

Yeah me too so maybe it's an ios issue. Seems to happen more often in awful though. Not a big deal, just weird.
I'm gonna assume this is to do with each post being inside a table cell, which wouldn't be an issue on news sites and stuff.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
1.9 trip report:

Uploaded screenshot via Awful successfully but rear camera pictures still error out.

Edit:

Test front cam:
Weird rotation but it works. Front cam of a 4s. Won't let me add a 2nd image to this post.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 8, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Test rear cam: failed!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Last test: posting rear cam from library
Failed w/ Error -1. Fiddlesticks!

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur
Can we get a list of updates/bugfixes implemented in 1.9? I know a lot of issues will be fixed and it'd be handy to know which ones.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Logged out and logged in of the app and now all my bookmarks are gone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

Last test: posting rear cam from library
Failed w/ Error -1. Fiddlesticks!

I have a feeling that the problem is just that the pictures from the rear camera are just so big. I have managed to make it work before, but not reliably. This image:

was something I took with the rear camera. It took several tries to upload it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Logged out and logged in of the app and now all my bookmarks are gone.

Have you tried reloading/refreshing them (from in the app)? I always panic and think mine are lost too when that happens. Pull down to refresh

• Locked thread