Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm not sure, I barely see the Start Screen anymore. They might've.

The Store refuses to load no matter what I do. I've left it on for like 10 minutes and it's still loading. I can close it and try again, same problem.

This is a wild guess, but maybe check for updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Sporadic posted:

Pepperplate (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/494557f9-8871-47a3-89f2-42ae56aca3f4) is pretty cool.

You can grab recipes from anywhere. It even worked with the Food Network app.

I freaking love this app, but how are you getting it to grab recipes from Food Network? Works fine from Epicurius, but when I open the share charm from Food Network's app, Pepperplate is not in the list of apps.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Eggnogium posted:

I freaking love this app, but how are you getting it to grab recipes from Food Network? Works fine from Epicurius, but when I open the share charm from Food Network's app, Pepperplate is not in the list of apps.

I don't know to tell you the truth. I was thinking it only worked on certain recipes but, when Pepperplate stops showing up on the share charm, it doesn't show up on recipes it use to.

Maybe there's a limit of recipes you can copy from the app or something?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Sporadic posted:

I don't know to tell you the truth. I was thinking it only worked on certain recipes but, when Pepperplate stops showing up on the share charm, it doesn't show up on recipes it use to.

I haven't shared a single recipe, since Mail and OneNote only get the recipe title and nothing else, so I don't think that's it. That is just messed up that the behavior is inconsistent like that. People doesn't show in my share charm either (testing on that exact recipe).

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
This Pepperplate app is pretty cool. Needs a few interface tweaks, and I would like to be able to share my shopping list via email. Other than that I'm looking forward to using it once I get home from vacation.

Sporadic posted:

I haven't confirmed this, but I think Pepperplate is doing the recipe processing on their servers with the URL that is being shared. Maybe the Food Network app sometime shares with a public URL and sometimes it doesn't.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I've been periodically checking out the most recent apps added to the store. The amount of terrible bullshit (mostly from India) is mind boggling. I never really bothered with too many apps on iOS, but do the other ecosystems have this problem?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

somethingwicked posted:

I've been periodically checking out the most recent apps added to the store. The amount of terrible bullshit (mostly from India) is mind boggling. I never really bothered with too many apps on iOS, but do the other ecosystems have this problem?

Yea they do. Except right now microsoft will literally approve an app that would format your hd when you launch it just to pad their "look we have so many apps too!" statistic and they have no store front that filters out the terrible poo poo like on itunes or play store so you have to wade through hundreds of terrible poo poo to find one good one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

keyframe posted:

Yea they do. Except right now microsoft will literally approve an app that would format your hd when you launch it just to pad their "look we have so many apps too!" statistic and they have no store front that filters out the terrible poo poo like on itunes or play store so you have to wade through hundreds of terrible poo poo to find one good one.

Not really. There's only two ways you can stumble upon those apps. Search for them or, when you click a section in the store, set it to "sort by newest". Otherwise, it defaults to "sort by noteworthy apps".

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 21, 2012

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sporadic posted:

Not really. There's only two ways you can stumble upon those apps. Search for them or, when you click a section in the store, set it to "sort by newest". Otherwise, it defaults to "sort by noteworthy apps".

Apple is stupid picky about apps, I deal with working with customers trying to submit apps. They'll fail an app for the smallest stupidest thing.

Android is more or less completely open, anyone who pays 25 bucks can get into the party.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Clearly the best app on Windows 8.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Is it me or is the Kindle app kind of awful? It takes about 30 seconds to a minute to render a page turn sometimes.

And I'm seeing less and less default icon [X] in the new app search, but it's still at least 1 out of every 20 that didn't bother to change it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you want your applications to be visible internationally in the stores, save for spamming it on every forum on the whole wide Internet, you'll have to supply localizations for the respective countries. Otherwise, thanks to a lovely default option in the store, you'll only see apps in your language.

That's pretty mean. I have the advantage of knowing German, English and French and can cover a large base. Other indie developers aren't that lucky.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you want your applications to be visible internationally in the stores, save for spamming it on every forum on the whole wide Internet, you'll have to supply localizations for the respective countries. Otherwise, thanks to a lovely default option in the store, you'll only see apps in your language.

That's pretty mean. I have the advantage of knowing German, English and French and can cover a large base. Other indie developers aren't that lucky.

I think you only have to localize the text for the store not the app itself. Windows Phone 8 is doing the same thing. As most of my downloads for WP7 have been non-us I'm assuming if you load up your phone/tablet in German they will give you results from both stores but just weight the localized ones more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gonna try it then. Altho, I've tried Windows 8 on a German computer (friend of mine), and my apps don't show. The listings are actually pretty stale. Even searching for it doesn't work. Web links calling into the Windows Store will show the app, tho.

The last time I've submitted an app with localizations, the certification failed because one screenshot was in English.

Also, incidentally, I've received a bad review in the German market for an app of mine, where the review is bad machine translated text. loving ace. Good reviews are still missing, despite decent download and usage numbers. Yet I something like bad robot reviews. I'm that -> <- close to just drop an infrequent reminder to rate.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 28, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gonna try it then. Altho, I've tried Windows 8 on a German computer (friend of mine),

You're probably right I was just making assumptions based on the WP7 store, but it sounds like they might have really locked down the WP8/Metro store. If so man is that thing going to be empty as all hell.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do you mean "Make it easier to find apps in my preferred languages"? That's off for me and I've certainly never touched it, although I suppose it could have been sync carried over from using Beta, etc.

Either way, my app has a healthy percentage of downloads from non-English markets and I certainly haven't supplied localization.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Strange. I have a friend that lives in Germany, he has a fresh Windows 8 install and it's checked by default. Browsing the store on his computer, you get a pretty lean selection. As said, search results are filtered, too.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, incidentally, I've received a bad review in the German market for an app of mine, where the review is bad machine translated text. loving ace. Good reviews are still missing, despite decent download and usage numbers. Yet I something like bad robot reviews. I'm that -> <- close to just drop an infrequent reminder to rate.

Honestly, there's little incentive for users to go back and rate an app after they've downloaded it unless it's really good, or really bad, so I don't really see why you would expect users to just rate your apps without being asked to.

robodex fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 28, 2012

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Lazy apps, huh?

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=b014d2d4-abee-43ae-a66c-e2285ea17d27

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
I'm interested in reading comics on the tablet. I didn't see it mentioned in the thread bit I may have missed it.

What is the best comic reading app? How well does it work?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I was all ready to be impressed with the Newegg app when I found out that you could pin your orders to the Start Screen. I thought I was going to get live tile order tracking, but the status on the tile never seemed to actually update.

Still, it's convenient to have a tile I can click to go right to order status instead of my usual method of keeping my order/shipping confirmation in email.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know of a music app that will let me search from directly within the interface? I can't stand the xbox music app where I need to go back to the main search and go from there.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is there a way to get the People app to sync with Google Contacts? I set it up with my Google account, and it pulled the contacts successfully, but they no longer sync. Changes on Google made after the initial setup don't appear on People, and changes on People don't change on Google.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

kri kri posted:

Anyone know of a music app that will let me search from directly within the interface? I can't stand the xbox music app where I need to go back to the main search and go from there.

Go "back" to the main search? Do you mean just using the Search Charm or hitting Win-Q and just typing?

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Well dang, if that Win+Q thing really works in every app (so far it seems to for me) that's a handy tip! Thanks!

I found the search in Windows 8 really convenient already on my Surface, but needed a fast way to call it up on the normal computer. This is nice.

Edit: Every Windows 8 style app, that is. Desktop apps still respond to Ctrl+F of course. And to search files/settings/apps you can just start typing when on the start menu - no Win+Q required.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

chedemefedeme posted:

Well dang, if that Win+Q thing really works in every app (so far it seems to for me) that's a handy tip! Thanks!

I found the search in Windows 8 really convenient already on my Surface, but needed a fast way to call it up on the normal computer. This is nice.

The universal search and settings charms take some getting used to, but they're great when you get the hang of them. Every once in a while I still find myself looking for Settings in an app for a bit before realizing it's in the same place as EVERY app.

Also, Win-F automatically searches Files, in case you wanted that too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does anybody have a good Google Chat solution? I've tried IM+, and it's serviceable enough, but the thing is that I am an antisocial old hermit and so usually I just leave myself on Invisible and anybody who I want to talk to me knows to just message me anyway while the undesirables are fooled (:smuggo:). Anyway the point is IM+ doesn't seem to allow Invisible status (or let me just log out, come to think of it). Anybody know a serviceable Gchat app that'll allow me to keep up my pretenses of not using Gchat?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

loquacius posted:

Does anybody have a good Google Chat solution? I've tried IM+, and it's serviceable enough, but the thing is that I am an antisocial old hermit and so usually I just leave myself on Invisible and anybody who I want to talk to me knows to just message me anyway while the undesirables are fooled (:smuggo:). Anyway the point is IM+ doesn't seem to allow Invisible status (or let me just log out, come to think of it). Anybody know a serviceable Gchat app that'll allow me to keep up my pretenses of not using Gchat?

IM+ allows invisible status (at least it claims it does). From the main page, click on the status, then scroll down to invisible. Offline is right below invisible.

The scroll bar doesn't show by default, so I can appreciate the confusion. They really are supposed to show a part of the next entry so you know to scroll down.

Edit: That said, I'm not terribly satisfied with the IM+ UI from a design perspective, so if others have suggestions, I'm open to something new.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Plex just released a Windows 8 app. It's currently $2.99

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/647bfcf7-7f87-4a72-ad86-2e6274f969e3

quote:

As you may already know, we’re huge fans of the Microsoft Windows 8 (née Metro) interface. We had a ton of fun writing the Plex app for Windows Phone 7, so when Windows 8 was released, we wasted no time in working to bring you a first class native application for the platform. We’d like to give you a quick visual overview, and then invite you to download it; it’s live in the Windows Store right now, at an introductory price of just $2.99!

I love the home screen for Plex on Windows 8. In my mind it’s a perfect amalgam of many of the visual idioms we’ve been exploring on many of the different Plex apps, but at the same time it looks like a (very lovely) completely native Windows 8 app. It’s got a background art slideshow, a gorgeous On Deck section, your myPlex queue, and much more.

The library areas will look familiar to those who have used the Windows Phone 7 app, as well as Plex/Web.

Note also that we’ve brought the incredibly powerful filtering system that first appeared in Plex/Web over to the Windows 8 app. It would not be a stretch to say that it’ll make its way to other Plex apps over time.

That’s just a quick overview, but I hope it conveys the love we’ve brought to this new platform. Let us know what you think!

http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/12/04/announcing-plex-for-windows-8/

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Is any one else shocked that the ESPN app isn't horrible? Coming from Android, I sure am.

Startacus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 5, 2012

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

I was hoping it would allow live streaming to those who subscribe to cable/sat ESPN.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

Startacus posted:

Is any one else shocked that the ESPN app isn't horrible? Coming from Android, I sure am.

It's kinda laggy in areas on my Surface RT, but it's a good start.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

loquacius posted:

There's an app just called Chat that seems really nice. Works for Gtalk and Facebook. I've not used it more than twenty minutes or so, but it seems to work pretty drat well. I think it's $2? There's a time-limited trial, too.

Startacus posted:

They must be working on iPhone and Android refreshes of their apps, because the iPad, Windows Phone, Xbox 360, and now Windows 8 apps all a) look totally different and b) are pretty drat good, in my opinion. Being able to swipe down and see top games and my team's scores is a smart move.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 7, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Yeah, this one is hosed up but a fix is coming.

quote:

The next release of Plex Media Server will include an automated workaround for this issue. At startup, it will check to see if the Plex app is installed. If so, it will add the loopback exemption for the app.

This doesn't address the scenario where the app is installed without restarting PMS, but it's about the best we can do cleanly (if such a term can even be applied to this entire problem). There's no such thing as app installation notifications, and checking every hour or something like that doesn't really help. Further, if someone sees that things aren't working, they'll probably restart PMS as their first troubleshooting step, which will then just work.

I might also add some text to the Servers page in the Plex app; we'll see if that makes sense. I'm open to other suggestions here.

Oh, and one more thing... Once I discovered the problem existed, I asked myself how we missed this. It's a new security model, and it's not at all documented clearly, but that's no excuse. The main reason is that any concurrent PMS/app testing we did happened to be on machines that had Visual Studio installed. As it turns out, when you debug the app in Visual Studio, the app is automatically added to the loopback exemption list by default. (Thanks, Microsoft!) So this is the kind of thing that can slip through the cracks of the development process rather easily.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah, it turns out kapinga was right and IM+'s status list was scrollable after all, even if there were absolutely no visual cues for this. Works fine by me now! v:v:v

Is this the right thread to talk about Media Center on Win8? I requested my free product key four days ago and still haven't gotten it yet. Has anyone gotten theirs successfully, and is the app good enough that if I can't get mine for free it would be worth spending money on?

e: nvm, they finally sent it
e2: New question, actually. Now that I have my product key, it strikes me that the software is probably the equivalent of the Win7 Media Center software, ie the server rather than the client. If I have Media Center set up on my Win7 desktop, and I want to be able to watch those videos on my Win8 tablet, am I SOL or should I just buy the Plex app or what?

chedemefedeme posted:

I was hoping it would allow live streaming to those who subscribe to cable/sat ESPN.

On a similar topic, I don't understand why CBS's website lets you watch full episodes, but their Win8 app does not. I mean, it's kind of a self-solving problem, since you can in fact navigate to their website from a tablet, but there really isn't a point to the app existing at all.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2012

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Just the eternally continuing saga known as "they just don't get it", starring "The Major Movie Studios" with special guest "What is this internet thing anyway?".

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Are there any "Chrome to Phone" style apps yet? It seems like it'd be a really good use of the Share charm. Sometimes I come across a link on my tablet for something I want to install on my desktop, and I'd love to be able to do it by sharing with the charm, or vice-versa.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I use some Xbox 360 controllers on my HTPC to play emulators, a lot. I'm wondering if there's any Windows Store games that I could use them for. Specifically multiplayer games.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure all games are supposed to be playable with an Xbox controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

I doubt they all are, just looking at how many of them rely pretty heavily on Touch rather than mouse/keyboard/button type input..but I've seen several in the store already specifically saying "xbox controller support". Trying to remember which they were now because though I own one xbox controller I'm not a gamer at all and have never tried mating it with my Surface.

• Locked thread