Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Some of the strips are links, too, that the alt text references. Most of those links have been dead for years, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hopefully you/someone can combine them because tabbing between an image viewer and alt_text.txt would suck hard. I'm assuming this isn't :filez: since the main comic is free.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm building a mirror of my own of the entire achewood archive and even the blogs. In case the lights are turned off I will be in my happy spot with all alt text preserved and whatnot.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
For anyone who likes the blogs:

@achewood posted:

All of the Ray Smuckles blogs (250pp) now in one iPad-friendly PDF in the Achewood Honor System shop! http://bit.ly/MmWMRX

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

He also added the Print-Only Rarities, including Philippe's recipe for Pee Sandwiches.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dodgeball posted:

For anyone who likes the blogs:

[url=https://twitter.com/achewood/status/271119609275486210]

I really want a Pat collection. I'd read it every day.

edit;

That Douche[/quote posted:

Okay, so what Pat wanted was to tell me that he just got
his driver's license renewed and wants to take me along
with him to the DMV headquarters in Sacramento so that
he can lodge a formal complaint about something in
person. Talk about your five hour round trips in Pat's
hinge old Mustang that he thinks is so precious. Plus, I
would never want to do that. I don't know why he thought
that would be a treat for me. I told him I had a late
afternoon tee time down at Seven Pines, and he said we
could go tomorrow, and I said that I had standing tee
times at all golf courses for as long as he was mad at the
DMV. He managed to turn my comment into a
two-minute blister about how the state is going down the
tubes because guys like me sit around in robes and
accept the status quo. Then he left. That was nice of
him.,

I miss you Ray Smuckles.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 22, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I still think that the Nice Pete story about him and Rachel Ray is one of the most brilliant things I've ever read.

EDIT:

Makes me wonder why Onstad doesn't just write a damned Achewood book. Lets face it: His art has never been the greatest, aside from some few aesthetically brilliant moments mostly contained in Cartilage Head arcs.

What we want mostly are the ridiculous situations and the insane dialogue between Beef and Ray.

We already know how everyone looks and how they'll most likely be positioned, so just write a danged book Onstad. DANG.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 22, 2012

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Loving Life Partner posted:

I still think that the Nice Pete story about him and Rachel Ray is one of the most brilliant things I've ever read.

EDIT:

Makes me wonder why Onstad doesn't just write a damned Achewood book. Lets face it: His art has never been the greatest, aside from some few aesthetically brilliant moments mostly contained in Cartilage Head arcs.

What we want mostly are the ridiculous situations and the insane dialogue between Beef and Ray.

We already know how everyone looks and how they'll most likely be positioned, so just write a danged book Onstad. DANG.

Really? The emotions and facial expressions in the comics is what really sells the jokes for me a lot of the time. Best examples being pretty much the entire The Party arch, or when Ray was going around stoned.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I'd never knock the art in achewood, it's beautiful in it's simplicity (except for when it's not simple, then it's just beautiful.) It seems to me though that writing is Onstad's real passion. I mean how many panels either end or consist entirely of long paragraphs of a character's writing?

If it means more arguments about if McDonald's can make a decent latte I'd be all for a transition.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

The original cookbook is up on Onstad's pay-what-you-want thing.

http://www.achewood.com/honorclub.php

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
When I was back home for Thanksgiving break, my little brother told me to fluff his hog.

I was laughing too hard to be annoyed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

WickedIcon posted:

When I was back home for Thanksgiving break, my little brother told me to fluff his hog.

I was laughing too hard to be annoyed.

You should have written him a $6 cheque.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
"You are about to enter a world where the only activity that exists is tasting my hog" has been chestnut idle threat in my circles for a long long time.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I always imagined Cornelius as Alistaire Cooke. He was a classy guy.

The show even nailed Cornelius' room. The dude has a martini and a very generous glass of wine going at the same time.

Agreed and it seems like, on returning to the character, he opted instead for this Wodehousian frippery via senile dementia take, which hollowed Cornelius out entirely. Everyone else was neeeeeearly on key, but Cornelius just sounds so unnatural now. I mean, he did sound unnatural, however many months ago its been since he last updated.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Dr. Atticus posted:

Really? The emotions and facial expressions in the comics is what really sells the jokes for me a lot of the time. Best examples being pretty much the entire The Party arch, or when Ray was going around stoned.

Agreed, there's a lot of timing in some of the strips that can't be as well presented in writing.

"I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not against gays or anything."
"I'm actually pretty open minded once you get to know me!"

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Personally, i'd rather see an Achewood animated series on Adult Swim than a book.

Sam Jackson as Ray.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Silhouette posted:

Personally, i'd rather see an Achewood animated series on Adult Swim than a book.

Sam Jackson as Ray.

If it got the "China, IL" treatment, it would turn into something completely different, with over the top plot lines and Superjail style shenanigans instead of dialogue between characters and subtle weird humor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Sam Jackson as Ray.
Patrice O'Neal would have been an amazing Ray. :sigh:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Have you people SEEN Ice-T lately?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Have you people SEEN Ice-T lately?

Holy gently caress. It's... uncanny.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
First thought in my head: "that thing is so hell of wispy a spider covets", probably the most ridiculous and hilarious usage of English words ever.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I can't imagine Achewood as anything other than a comic strip. I feel like in any other medium it would either be boring or hosed all to hell.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I dunno. I think, correctly done, it could own the Adult Swim lineup. Sadly, I don't think Der Önstadt has the give-a-gently caress left to make that happen, and nobody else could truly do it correctly.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, it wouldn't have to be Onstad as long as the writer understood why Achewood was funny in the first place. The style of humor is more important than how well-executed it is in my opinion.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

WickedIcon posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't have to be Onstad as long as the writer understood why Achewood was funny in the first place. The style of humor is more important than how well-executed it is in my opinion.

Nothing in this post is even sort of true, dogg.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, I don't think so much.

Ray and Beef chat is practically a form of art.

Then there's his portrayal of Philippe, which is just amazing, the Friday Facts stuff is great.

I feel like any attempt by someone else would be some dumb Adult Swim monkey cheese stuff on the worst level.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Vagina Products MacGyver ran for one season on adult swim but everyone but everyone agreed the insouciant-title tail was wagging the strength-of-concept dog.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

I feel like any attempt by someone else would be some dumb Adult Swim monkey cheese stuff on the worst level.

Which is my point. Achewood has really character-driven humor; the humor isn't really from the weird situations themselves, it's from how the characters act in them. If a writer understood that and was otherwise pretty competent, I could see it working.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I Just loving Miss Achewood.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

The style of humor is more important than how well-executed it is in my opinion.

This is one of the most bizarre statements I have ever read about comedy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't even care about like plots and such, just give me Roy and Beef talking about whatever Onstad's got on his mind each week.

Admittedly this would be crushing depression but that's okay too.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
The important thing is that we will always have the memories, with this as my most recalled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gwaaargh posted:

The important thing is that we will always have the memories, with this as my most recalled.

You know you'd think it would be easier to give some bad news to Charlie Brown.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't even care about like plots and such, just give me Roy and Beef talking about whatever Onstad's got on his mind each week.

Who the hell is Roy

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

tehloki posted:

Who the hell is Roy

I think he's related to Raymo Smookels. :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

tehloki posted:

Who the hell is Roy

Roy is STOKED Missus S!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Juche Couture posted:

This is one of the most bizarre statements I have ever read about comedy.

I probably worked that kinda badly. My point was that as long as they don't change the feel of it too much from the comic, they don't necessarily have to do it as well as Onstad did at the top of his game for it to turn out okay. Hope that clears it up a bit.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Does anyone know what the deal is with the much rumoured Great Outdoor Fight movie? Has it just died a quiet little death?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

"Much rumored"? This is the first I have heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Shmorky in talks with Onstad to do something? I thought I remembered him saying he was talking to him, but couldn't say much else about it. It must've fallen through at this point, but at least we have this.