Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

loquacius posted:

Unless they developed an entirely new Turing-complete Homestuck programming language with its own weird syntax, specifically to prevent people from using ready-made linked-list code. Which come to think of it would not surprise me.

It's called ~ATH. :getin:

(No god that would be a nightmare)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Boston is already a post-apocalyptic wasteland devoid of intelligent life, why would you need to waste meteors on it?

Oh that's just uncalled for. :mad:

Hussie's a Masshole anyway; I'd rather believe he's just taking pity on his local Major City (tm).

e: Also, it appears that Nantucket is being spared entirely -- not a single meteor on the whole island! Bet I know where the premier vacation spot of post-Reckoning New England would be~~~ :buddy:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 6, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The page after that makes me wonder: just how hosed would the Earth be if an asteroid somewhat larger than Australia hit us, and would it even make any difference if it landed in the ocean or not? (my guess is no)

please tell me there is an app for this

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wasn't it stated by Caliborn that everyone but Dirk has him blocked? I guess he could get around it like this trolls, but he didn't seem interested in them anyways.

Also, another piece of evidence that Jake might, in fact, have brain issues.

EDIT: Also, wasn't Derse being devastated by the red miles?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rorus Raz posted:

Also, another piece of evidence that Jake might, in fact, have brain issues.

Yes it is true that people who have brain problems can sense their own kind, and are quite forthright about this. (alternatively accusations of physical mental defects are a fairly common go-to when it comes to describing people who in one way or another don't seem that bright)

Re: Derse, yes, but I guess DD stopped before completely destroying the place? Since moderation is kind of his thing.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

The page after that makes me wonder: just how hosed would the Earth be if an asteroid somewhat larger than Australia hit us, and would it even make any difference if it landed in the ocean or not? (my guess is no)

The meteor that may have killed the dinosaurs was estimated to be 10 km wide. So a 4000 km wide asteroid would kill us pretty good. The Earth itself would stay intact, though. Supposedly the planet has been struck by a Mars-sized object in the distant past and we only lost a little mass, which then became the Moon.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Sure is lucky for the Exiles that Bec managed to vaporise that meteor. though I guess he did a fair bit of damage on his own anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yes it is true that people who have brain problems can sense their own kind, and are quite forthright about this. (alternatively accusations of physical mental defects are a fairly common go-to when it comes to describing people who in one way or another don't seem that bright)
What? You're looking at it literally, as if Caliborn knows poo poo. I am looking at what Hussie frequently does: having his characters and narration repeat certain things as foreshadowing. There is a bit of a pattern of people referring to Jake as if something is wrong with his head (and he did take a nasty fall on his head, helmet or not). It could mean absolutely nothing, or it's potential explanation for his behavior.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Of course there is!

As it turns out, for a typical impact from a 4000km meteor less than 10% of the Earth is expected to melt. I was expecting it to be a bit worse than that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thundarr posted:

Of course there is!

As it turns out, for a typical impact from a 4000km meteor less than 10% of the Earth is expected to melt. I was expecting it to be a bit worse than that.

10% is pretty impressive if it's 10% of the mass! That'll amount to a lot more than 10% of the surface.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Thundarr posted:

Of course there is!

On the other hand, literally the entire planet is engulfed in a fireball within 45 minutes, followed by a magnitude 15 earthquake shortly after. Then the air blast destroys anything left. ...Speed seems to be the deciding factor in how much of the Earth melts. You only get 8-10% melting at asteroid speeds, and 75-100% melting at comet speeds. Also the days may change length, or something.

We're triple-hosed!

Dang, this is a cool website.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Of course there is!

Welp, you know what that means.

The land of OoO is a post-sburb world.

One of the kids must have been Korean and double-prototyped her sprite with a rainbow and a unicorn.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bobulus posted:

Welp, you know what that means.

One of the kids must have been Korean and double-prototyped her sprite with a rainbow and a unicorn.

I am 100% okay with this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Rainicorns are a race :ssh:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

YggiDee posted:

On the other hand, literally the entire planet is engulfed in a fireball within 45 minutes, followed by a magnitude 15 earthquake shortly after. Then the air blast destroys anything left. ...Speed seems to be the deciding factor in how much of the Earth melts. You only get 8-10% melting at asteroid speeds, and 75-100% melting at comet speeds. Also the days may change length, or something.

We're triple-hosed!

Dang, this is a cool website.

I tried putting the impact velocity at the speed of light, but the planet just gets blowed up rather than having a nice big bullet hole in it :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Thundarr posted:

Of course there is!

This thing won't tell me what would happen if something hit the Earth at the speed of light! I want my money back!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Haha, if you set a really low impact speed (like, 0.001 km/s), you get some overflow/underflow error that make it a lot more devastating than at higher speeds!

quote:

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 10.00 km ( = 6.21 miles )
Projectile diameter: 4000.00 km ( = 2480.00 miles )
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 17.00 km per second ( = 10.60 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 5 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.45 x 1031 Joules = 3.47 x 1015 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size is longer than the Earth's age.
Such impacts could only occur during the accumulation of the Earth, between 4.5 and 4 billion years ago.

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
1.02 percent of the Earth is melted
Depending on the direction and location the collision, the impact may make a very small change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< half a degree).
Depending on the direction and location of impact, the collision may cause a change in the length of the day of up to 36.9 hours.
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:
What does this mean?

Transient Crater Diameter: 1700 km ( = 1050 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 601 km ( = 373 miles )

Final Crater Diameter: 4490 km ( = 2790 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 3.72 km ( = 2.31 miles )
The final crater is replaced by a large, circular melt province.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 1.13e+10 km3 = 2.7e+09 miles3
Melt volume = 17.6 times the crater volume
At this size, the crater forms in its own melt pool.

quote:

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 10.00 km ( = 6.21 miles )
Projectile diameter: 4000.00 km ( = 2480.00 miles )
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 1.00 meters per second ( = 3.28 feet per second )
Impact Angle: 5 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 5.03 x 1022 Joules = 1.20 x 107 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size is longer than the Earth's age.
Such impacts could only occur during the accumulation of the Earth, between 4.5 and 4 billion years ago.

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is strongly disturbed by the impact, but loses little mass.
100.00 percent of the Earth is melted
Depending on the direction and location the collision, the impact may make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 degrees).
Depending on the direction and location of impact, the collision may cause a change in the length of the day of up to 608 hours.
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:
What does this mean?

Transient Crater Diameter: 11700 km ( = 7240 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 4120 km ( = 2560 miles )

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Bobulus posted:

I love this but I'm putting a stop to it anyway because we are straight-up writing crossover fan fiction and that is unacceptable.

Cabbit posted:

Boston is already a post-apocalyptic wasteland devoid of intelligent life, why would you need to waste meteors on it?

Dude, I will survive the meteor shower and ascend to God Tier as FAN of SOX so I can kick your rear end.

Pester posted:

Pfft, come on, the Homestuck Game is obviously going to be 60 hours of sylladex shenanigans, which is where the real gameplay is at.

Hashrap special attacks where you have to set up the proper rhyme to launch your inventory at an enemy would be a lot of fun, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Hashrap special attacks where you have to set up the proper rhyme to launch your inventory at an enemy would be a lot of fun, too.

Monkey Island has empirically demonstrated that this is not true.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Dude, I will survive the meteor shower and ascend to God Tier as FAN of SOX so I can kick your rear end.

How do you plan to do that when your CLUBHOUSE MODUS Sylladex is full of nothing but beer and fried chicken? :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Goddamn Caliborn is SUCH a little poo poo.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I

I don't even know how to respond to this update.

Caliborn you are so loving weird holy poo poo

edit: holy poo poo I didn't actually look at the last picture properly, where the gently caress did all those towers come from?

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Well, guess that's a pretty good way to make us start hating Caliborn again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That is a perfect loving circle. Clearly.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'd almost forgotten what a perverse creepo Caliborn is. Reading through his creepy alien lusting over Jane and Roxy makes me more uncomfortable than probably anything else in this comic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All rise for the arrival of Sir Caliborn, of the kingdom of Mixalot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is a name for the mathematical principle Caliborn describes for drawing that circle, but I can't remember what it is. It's no doubt laden with philosophical significance, too.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
God, this is just such a perfect update. Caliborn being a hilarious supercreep.

Erned
Dec 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is the best update, Caliborn is the best character, and Jane's is the best rump.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Caliborn is coming off as more genuinely alien than the trolls ever did, in a way that makes you want to take a shower forever.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Considering how many people were feeling sympathetic for the prospective main villain of the story, this was inevitable.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Bongo Bill posted:

There is a name for the mathematical principle Caliborn describes for drawing that circle, but I can't remember what it is. It's no doubt laden with philosophical significance, too.

Or he could just be describing Pixels to drive up the metalevel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Considering how many people were feeling sympathetic for the prospective main villain of the story, this was inevitable.

It wasn't sympathy so much as slightly repelled amusement. Caliborn is legit adorable when he's not in a position of power over anybody, because his bizarre, omni-resentful attitude all feeds right back into him. Otherwise, well. This happens.

Erned
Dec 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So how many people have figured out that Caliborn's brain problem is autism? Is it obvious?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Okay Hussie, you did it. I actually like Caliborn now.
"WHEN BITCHES PUNISH THE GROUND. WITH EACH MEGALITHIC FOOTSTEP. " :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Erned posted:

So how many people have figured out that Caliborn's brain problem is autism? Is it obvious?

This kind of goes beyond autism. Caliborn recognizes human emotions and concepts, he's just physically and psychologically repelled by anything on the positive end of that scale. He's not oblivious to other people's feelings; he recognizes, exploits, and abuses them, and views that as a legitimately laudable form of interaction. His learning disability is kind of savant-like, but the similarities stop there.

He's only one mental half (the bad half) of an alien whose culture has no form of societal interaction whatsoever. As a result, his Issues are a little too broad to be captured in one term.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here we go, the avatar everyone's been waiting for:

:v:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
What I'm getting from this exchange is Caliborn is not a Lord Of time but a Knight Of Mixes.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This update is gross!

Bongo Bill posted:

Method of Exhaustion, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wow, that's really loving creepy. Mission accomplished, I guess?