Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Uroboros posted:

Been gay for Crossfit for about three years now. From what I've seen it won't really make you huge if getting swole is your goal, but if you're big man by nature it will keep you nice and cut at your natural size.
This is meaningless. What is a person's 'natural size'?

Unrelated: Farted in the gym today. It smelled super bad and lingered forever because of the heat/humidity. Using a new brand of brotein always makes me fart like a motherfucker for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
After a week long unsustainable and temporary cut I'm no longer too fat for the army (16" neck, 38" waist!). Now I get to slow down a bit on my weight loss goal and focus on getting faster. Today's PT was APFT 2 mile simulation 60"/120" on the treadmill at 9.0, 6.6 mph, 0 inc.

Today's weigh in was 221, goal is under 200 by February 1, 2013.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I figure at least one bro in here will have useful advice in here for me.

I'm aiming to get a NROTC (marine option) scholarship next fall, but right now my PFT score is just sad. I'm decent enough at the crunches, and shouldn't have an issue getting them close to 100 by next year. The worst thing is the pull-ups, though. I can get like 3 or 4 in a set before I have to start cheating to get any more reps in.

I've already got a dedicated back day where I do 3 or 4 sets of as many reps possible of pull-ups, and also do 3x10 lat pulldowns (at around 75lbs. for these with good form). I've also started throwing in pull-ups on my other gym days too, but usually only one or two sets.

Does this seem like a good plan, just keep working at it, or is there something you guys would recommend changing/adding? I'd get a pull-up bar for my place and do them randomly throughout the day, but there isn't really anywhere for me to put it.

Also I'm 5'8ish", 165lbs so I'm not a big fatbody or anything.

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm aiming to get a NROTC (marine option) scholarship next fall, but right now my PFT score is just sad. I'm decent enough at the crunches, and shouldn't have an issue getting them close to 100 by next year. The worst thing is the pull-ups, though. I can get like 3 or 4 in a set before I have to start cheating to get any more reps in.

I've already got a dedicated back day where I do 3 or 4 sets of as many reps possible of pull-ups, and also do 3x10 lat pulldowns (at around 75lbs. for these with good form). I've also started throwing in pull-ups on my other gym days too, but usually only one or two sets.

Does this seem like a good plan, just keep working at it, or is there something you guys would recommend changing/adding? I'd get a pull-up bar for my place and do them randomly throughout the day, but there isn't really anywhere for me to put it.

The best way to do more pullups is to do more pullups. Do the armstrong pullup plan or whatever.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Internet Wizard posted:

You don't have a door in your place? I keep one of those bars that hangs from a door frame. Like Veins said, the best way to get good at pull ups it to do more pull ups. Pick a number that's within reach and do that many in an allotted period. For me, I use 50 reps for every workout session. So that means in any given week I'm doing 150-200. When you can bag your target number in a day several times a week then add another 10 reps to it. Increase as such. Do variations of grip, dangle weights from your waist, whatever. Just don't neglect taking a rest day because while the upper back is hard to overtrain, pull ups can loving smoke you.

Stretch out your lats/upper back, eat more, sleep more.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I have doors, but the frames are all trimmed in white, and at my last place, my roommate had one of those frame bars, and the padding marked up the doorframe pretty bad.

I do get to the gym 4 or so times a week, so I'll start throwing pull-ups in whenever I can.

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

I have doors, but the frames are all trimmed in white, and at my last place, my roommate had one of those frame bars, and the padding marked up the doorframe pretty bad.

I do get to the gym 4 or so times a week, so I'll start throwing pull-ups in whenever I can.

Buy a magic eraser or paint to get rid of the scuff marks. The best way to do more pullups is do more pullups. Google armstrong pullup technique, its a pretty good pullup workout.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Internet Wizard posted:

Wrap the padding in duct tape.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

That Armstrong program looks good, thanks for pointing me to it.

And thanks for the doorframe bar advice, I'm going to pick one up next paycheck.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Starting PT Monday with an overenthusiastic 1SG after a month of not running in Reception, who wants to bet on how fast my shin splints come back and I'm on profile (again)?

gently caress distance running forever, gently caress formation running forever squared, vive la... Uh... Sprint training.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

smertrioslol posted:

Pretty much this. I can run forever if I'm in the mood for it. Or I'll say gently caress it and bow out after a mile. I need to stop saying gently caress it.

Anyone have a good marathon running plan? Assume I'm in miserable distance running shape, but I can do a 10k if I really had to. Every time I Google this poo poo the websites want me to pay for it, or are super vague. I'm tempted to sign up for the new York sports club to get their plan, and to have a better shot of getting in the marathon.

There are literally a million such plans for free, you can check the running thread in ylls for links. However what are your goals finish, or meet some time goal? If your goal is just to finish I would say that most of the plans you will find will have you running a lot more miles than you need to.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Anyone have some good weight based strength training circuit ideas? I'm getting tired of the one we're currently running, but my PSG is so adamantly against me changing it...I'm doing it anyway because I've been telling him that it's not a good idea to do deadlifts twice a week every week (we've had injuries! surprise!).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

I'm doing it anyway because I've been telling him that it's not a good idea to do deadlifts twice a week every week (we've had injuries! surprise!).

Uh since when? Don't blame a lift for somebody's poor technique.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Tysterisk posted:

Starting PT Monday with an overenthusiastic 1SG after a month of not running in Reception, who wants to bet on how fast my shin splints come back and I'm on profile (again)?

gently caress distance running forever, gently caress formation running forever squared, vive la... Uh... Sprint training.

Reception? Are you posting from BCT?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Ashmole posted:

Anyone have some good weight based strength training circuit ideas? I'm getting tired of the one we're currently running, but my PSG is so adamantly against me changing it...I'm doing it anyway because I've been telling him that it's not a good idea to do deadlifts twice a week every week (we've had injuries! surprise!).

Maybe teach them the correct form and technique and they won't injure themselves.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Ikarus posted:

Maybe teach them the correct form and technique and they won't injure themselves.

We've taught them it like 10 times and someone still fucks it up. Regardless, I'm tired of the weight circuit we do twice a week.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Ashmole posted:

We've taught them it like 10 times and someone still fucks it up. Regardless, I'm tired of the weight circuit we do twice a week.

I guess it's fair to take into account the fact that people who've been forced to exercise are not necessarily going to give a poo poo about form. Then when they hurt themselves because they don't listen, they blame the exercise, not their own indifference.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

DoktorLoken posted:

Reception? Are you posting from BCT?

Fort Sam, 68W AIT.

Side note: Deadlifts more than once a week is kinda retarded; you're either doing too many reps/sets for a primarily CNS-based lift, or you're going low and heavy but not giving anywhere near enough recovery time.

crazyphil
Feb 18, 2011
If anyone is interested in a decent upper body push/pull routine that builds endurance, here's one I've been using for a while.

Push:
DB Bench Press - 2,4,6,8,10
Dips - 4,8,12,16,20
Push ups - 8,16,24,32,40

Pull:
Pullups: 2,4,6,8,10
Bent over rows: 4,8,12,16,20
Inverted rows: 8,16,24,32,40

It's performed in a circuit fashion,so first set would look like 2 db bench presses, 4 dips and 8 pushups. First few sets are easy, last two not so much. Go with your 6-8 rep range on bench press. I like dumb bells because you will hit muscle failure failure at least once. Complete push before moving to pull. Add weight to the body weight exercises for added resistance.

crazyphil fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 10, 2012

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Veins McGee posted:

This is meaningless. What is a person's 'natural size'?

Pretty much as it sounds. Crossfit focuses heavy on light weights and flexibility, so when I say "natural size" I'm pretty much saying it will keep you fit but is not for people who want to be so heavily muscled that it begins to effect their movement (speed/flexibility). I am sure you have seen plenty of guys at the gym that are so jacked that have to turn their bodies to actually look at people, I would consider this beyond someone's "natural size" where their muscle mass goes beyond what their skeletal structure/body type is meant to have. To me there is little practicality in being that big, it is impressive, but I don't see why someone would want that in the military world.

Internet Wizard posted:

Veins already mentioned the Armstrong workout, which is really the best way to focus on pull-ups. Since your main focus is to simply get a higher score I would suggest working out specifically to the PFT.

-Armstrong workout for pull-ups.
-Do crunches daily in intervals of one hundred, timing yourself each time, until you get them in under 2 minutes.
-Run 3 miles regularly, and perhaps toss in some sprint exercises in if you get to the point where you finish 3 miles, and have gas left. I find my biggest challenge with the 3 mile run is that I don't put everything I have into it, because I am afraid I will burn myself out midway in. This usually results in a mediocre time.

Run, Run, Run, crunches, pull-ups, run, run, run, repeat...get high score.

Tysterisk posted:

Side note: Deadlifts more than once a week is kinda retarded; you're either doing too many reps/sets for a primarily CNS-based lift, or you're going low and heavy but not giving anywhere near enough recovery time.

Is this the kind of PT where you all just hit the gym doing your own routines, or do you have them all kind of circled up so you can keep an eye on their form? I'd suggest if form is an issue force them to do less weight until they prove they can handle more, and just keep them close. A real rear end kicker that might help with lifting form (because it keeps the weight low) is:

8 Rounds
8x Deadlift (75-115lbs)
8x Hang-Clean (75-115lbs)
8x Thruster (75-115lbs) <--this is where it gets really hard
8x Push-ups off the bar

The idea is to keep the bar in your hands the entire time as the various workouts lead into one another. That being said...I had to drop the god drat thing as I tried it at 95 lbs and it reduced me to a puddle on a the floor spouting gibberish. The weight is 115 being the highest recommended for a exceptionally fit man, and 75 for a exceptionally fit woman.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 10, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Just got back from Vietnam and gained about 10 pounds over there. gently caress yeah! Bulked up nicely but lost my 6 along the way.

Got a PT test as soon as I'm off my month of leave so my goal right now is max-max-relax because I hate to do cardio and to be atleast 180 for my weigh in so I can get taped.

vains
May 26, 2004

Uroboros posted:

Pretty much as it sounds. Crossfit focuses heavy on light weights and flexibility, so when I say "natural size" I'm pretty much saying it will keep you fit but is not for people who want to be so heavily muscled that it begins to effect their movement (speed/flexibility). I am sure you have seen plenty of guys at the gym that are so jacked that have to turn their bodies to actually look at people, I would consider this beyond someone's "natural size" where their muscle mass goes beyond what their skeletal structure/body type is meant to have. To me there is little practicality in being that big, it is impressive, but I don't see why someone would want that in the military world.

How much muscle mass is a person's skeletal structure/body type supposed to have? How do you determine this? Do you get what I'm saying? We can establish an upper limit for one's 'natural size' at "juiced up transhumanist" and a lower limit at "anorexic twink". Between those two(barring injury and disease), one's 'natural size' is largely dependent on how much work you're willing to do and how efficiently you're doing it.

Ignoring the PFT and height/weight standards: Being big is an advantage in the military world. While your joints bear more load due to the increased weight of your body, your gear is a much smaller percentage of your body weight than small guys. Not only that, but your core is almost certainly stronger from heavy compound movements. Joint damage can be mitigated but not eliminated but smaller guys experience similar levels of wear. Outside of joint issues, the biggest drawbacks are getting picked to carry heavy poo poo or not being able to easily fit through the hatches on armored vehicles.

That's just my take on it. I'm not a physical trainer and am probably a retard.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

faddypaddy posted:

There are literally a million such plans for free, you can check the running thread in ylls for links. However what are your goals finish, or meet some time goal? If your goal is just to finish I would say that most of the plans you will find will have you running a lot more miles than you need to.

Yeah, I just read some ylls threads about it. I mostly just want to finish one, as I primarily strength train, and it seems almost unattainable to me. I did a half and wanted to die.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Does anyone have any tips on alleviating shin splints during ruck marches? I get terrible shin splints a couple miles in...

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Ashmole posted:

Does anyone have any tips on alleviating shin splints during ruck marches? I get terrible shin splints a couple miles in...

I've found calf raises and squats help, also the thickest socks you can get. Who cares if your feet sweat as long as you have more than enough padding.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Veins McGee posted:

How much muscle mass is a person's skeletal structure/body type supposed to have? How do you determine this? Do you get what I'm saying? We can establish an upper limit for one's 'natural size' at "juiced up transhumanist" and a lower limit at "anorexic twink". Between those two(barring injury and disease), one's 'natural size' is largely dependent on how much work you're willing to do and how efficiently you're doing it.

There will always be ambiguity on this topic, however I am sure there is more science to it, although like yourself I am hardly an expert on the subject. We all know people who are massive hulks of men, or have that runner body by grace of genetics. For the guy that is a runner only the most rigid workout and diet plan is going to allow him to gain the body of his Broc Sampson counterpart, and vice versa.

Veins McGee posted:

Ignoring the PFT and height/weight standards: Being big is an advantage in the military world. While your joints bear more load due to the increased weight of your body, your gear is a much smaller percentage of your body weight than small guys. Not only that, but your core is almost certainly stronger from heavy compound movements. Joint damage can be mitigated but not eliminated but smaller guys experience similar levels of wear. Outside of joint issues, the biggest drawbacks are getting picked to carry heavy poo poo or not being able to easily fit through the hatches on armored vehicles.

That's just my take on it. I'm not a physical trainer and am probably a retard.

I see the average combat load to be a problem in general. I'd agree to a point that being a larger guy provides an advantage when it comes to carrying the rather ridiculous amount of gear the modern soldier is issued, but I'd think it would have to do more with that person's build. I would think someone who is more squat/stocky, would be at some minor advantage to the taller/lean types (height to body width ratio).

Once again I am in the same boat as you in that I may simply be talking out of my rear end.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Ashmole posted:

Assuming that you're stretching properly and doing your best to locate and isolate inflammation/pain as much as possible:

Try throwing in a couple sets of reverse calf raises, or walk around with your toes raised on your heels for a couple minutes to help strengthen your weaker areas that may be causing the pain.

If they don't go away in a couple weeks, see if you can get one of your pt stud buddies to take a look at your stride/impact eg: making sure you aren't overextending and adding extra anterior/posterior stress when it's not needed.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

smertrioslol posted:

Yeah, I just read some ylls threads about it. I mostly just want to finish one, as I primarily strength train, and it seems almost unattainable to me. I did a half and wanted to die.

I would reccomend a 3 day a week plan that includes sprints medium run and long run. The medium run would start at around 4 -5 miles and increase to 8 or 9 max at a pace around 1min/mile slower than your two mile pace. The long run should be done on a saturday and start at around 1hr/6 miles which ever is shorter and increase 1-2miles/10-20 minutes a week after that until you hit 22 miles or 4 hours. This should be paced out over 12 - 16 weeks depending on current level of fitness. This is pretty much what I do and I have finished distances of up to 50miles on this kind of training. Not very fast but without injury and or feeling like I was going to die the following day. If you are lifting I would limit squats/deadlifts to Monday only during the buildup to the marathon because the extra running will severly affect your ability to recover from the lifts. If you PM your email I can send you a couple different spread sheets of my build ups to various distances. Also you shouldn't try any of this if you can not already run 20 miles a week without injury.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

faddypaddy posted:

I would reccomend a 3 day a week plan that includes sprints medium run and long run. The medium run would start at around 4 -5 miles and increase to 8 or 9 max at a pace around 1min/mile slower than your two mile pace. The long run should be done on a saturday and start at around 1hr/6 miles which ever is shorter and increase 1-2miles/10-20 minutes a week after that until you hit 22 miles or 4 hours. This should be paced out over 12 - 16 weeks depending on current level of fitness. This is pretty much what I do and I have finished distances of up to 50miles on this kind of training. Not very fast but without injury and or feeling like I was going to die the following day. If you are lifting I would limit squats/deadlifts to Monday only during the buildup to the marathon because the extra running will severly affect your ability to recover from the lifts. If you PM your email I can send you a couple different spread sheets of my build ups to various distances. Also you shouldn't try any of this if you can not already run 20 miles a week without injury.

Woops, forgot that I got banned and lost PMs. I'll fix myself after work and hit you up.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
I slacked off the past week and my weight ballooned up to 224, but after going back on caloric restriction, today's weigh in was 218. I only had ten minutes for PT this morning so I did 3 pullups and 8/6/5 reps of 185lbs incline bench. The AGRs are doing INSANITY now, but I have to go to a civilian job. Gosh darn I miss AGR.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Ashmole posted:

What kind of boots are you wearing? How long into your ruck do you make it before they start, and are they relieved when you stop? How long after you've been rucking do they last? There's a variety of issues people label "shin splints" (or pain in that area), and they can stem from all kinds of issues.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Finished the GoRuck challenge yesterday. 20 miles through San Diego, wet and sandy at 4 different locations. A 1200lbs log. Indian runs the entire time (literally, the entire time we were moving). Carrying a litter for a few miles. gently caress if I'm ever going to do that again!

NOW I COME BACK AND THE FORUMS LOOK ALL WEIRD!!! WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?!?!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Adapt and overcome debba dawg.

Also that sounds like straight loving awesome.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Deathy McDeath posted:

Finished the GoRuck challenge yesterday. 20 miles through San Diego, wet and sandy at 4 different locations. A 1200lbs log. Indian runs the entire time (literally, the entire time we were moving). Carrying a litter for a few miles. gently caress if I'm ever going to do that again!

NOW I COME BACK AND THE FORUMS LOOK ALL WEIRD!!! WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?!?!

Who was your cadre? I've done two and I have 3 more in the next few months. poo poo is addicting.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What's the difficulty level? Sounds like an interesting challenge and fun way to get some PT in.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

DoktorLoken posted:

What's the difficulty level? Sounds like an interesting challenge and fun way to get some PT in.

If you're in decent shape it's not too bad, but by the end your feet will ache and you'll be tired as poo poo. This is assuming your team doesn't suck. If you end up carrying poo poo for your weaker people life gets a whole lot worse. They started offering easier and harder events and they have some fun events, too, like scavenger hunts and things. Check it out and watch some videos: https://www.goruckchallenge.com

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

xwonderboyx posted:

Who was your cadre? I've done two and I have 3 more in the next few months. poo poo is addicting.

Mike. Former force guy and combat controller.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's resolution season, folks. For the past few weeks I've been getting in the habit of waking up super early to got to the gym, which I'm helping will pay dividends in avoiding the massive crowd of people who signed up for a 3 month gym membership and will stop going after the first two weeks.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I started going in at 6 AM MWF last week to get used to avoiding the resolution crowd. Went in this morning for some cardio and the place was packed, me and my buddy do strength training in the afternoons and I'm not looking forward to it today. Gonna be a shitshow in my little hole-in-the-wall gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I just bought my own setup. I have a bench and adjustable rack (for squats/bench press) along with 45 lb bar, 255 lbs in steel weights and 140 lbs in bumper plates. I also got some kettlebells for christmas and I can workout when the gently caress I want and don't have to deal with anyone. I'm starting this program on Monday. The only things I will have to work around are pullups and box jumps until I can build those out. Also instead of rowing I will just run more.