Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FauxGateau posted:

Besides everyone knows that you dump everybody and then ride off into the sunset with Teddie to start your new life together.

It's funny how Teddie is the closest the MC gets to kissing another guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

... ride off into the sunset with Teddie...

That's not how you spell 'Kanji'

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Schubalts posted:

It's kind of disappointing, really. This is the series that gave us Tatsuya and Jun. Why isn't there a single romanceable dude?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

neongrey posted:

It's kind of disappointing, really. This is the series that gave us Tatsuya and Jun. Why isn't there a single romanceable dude?

To be fair, "Tatsuya and Jun" amounted basically to one dialogue branch and a fusion attack. A whole S-Link or even a couple of special events would be a bit more of a commitment.

They'll probably get around to it at some point; Japan just has a little further to go in terms of social attitudes.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ, the translation on this game is awesome. I lost it over the whole beach segment and telling Kanji to find a white sea shell, and I actually laughed out loud in crowded train over Operation Babe Hunt 2's Deliverance reference.gently caress the game has taken a few cues from some of the better Western RPGs out there over Social Link Nonsense now The fireworks festival actually referenced who I was dating and with voice acting. I hope Persona 5 follows in it's footsteps and with something other than it's dating sim elements.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 7, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Schubalts posted:

Yosuke was the one who got the intimate hug option, even in vanilla P4. :colbert:

What I'm saying is everyone on the IT should be romance options. :v:

You do get a bunch of opportunities to insinuate your interest in dudes in P4G, so it's a start.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 7, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Undead Unicorn posted:

Jesus Christ, the translation on this game is awesome. I lost it over the whole beach segment and telling Kanji to find a white sea shell, and I actually laughed out loud in crowded train over Operation Babe Hunt 2's Deliverance reference.

The only problem with telling him to do that is that it's not telling him he's a man, let 'em dangle :colbert:

epenthesis posted:

To be fair, "Tatsuya and Jun" amounted basically to one dialogue branch and a fusion attack. A whole S-Link or even a couple of special events would be a bit more of a commitment.

They'll probably get around to it at some point; Japan just has a little further to go in terms of social attitudes.

That's true, but still having the character being acknowledged as being into a guy still feels like a bigger step to me, even if it's not as much content.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Oh jeez. It took me watching the Endurance Run twice and playing through the game nearly twice as well to realize that (end game spoiler)When Kanji's mother goes to get a delivery when you first go to talk to her, that's probably Nametame looking for Kanji. Duh..

Edit: I think this re-release has put Persona 4 in my personal favorite games list. Everything about this game is so good.

Edit 2: Do the harder difficulties affect non-combat things at all? Are slinks harder to rank up or anything?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 7, 2012

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

neongrey posted:

The only problem with telling him to do that is that it's not telling him he's a man, let 'em dangle :colbert:

Do you get the "We can't do that, it's way too sexy response"?!

I thought not.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sankis posted:

Oh jeez. It took me watching the Endurance Run twice and playing through the game nearly twice as well to realize that (end game spoiler)When Kanji's mother goes to get a delivery when you first go to talk to her, that's probably Nametame looking for Kanji. Duh..

Edit: I think this re-release has put Persona 4 in my personal favorite games list. Everything about this game is so good.

Edit 2: Do the harder difficulties affect non-combat things at all? Are slinks harder to rank up or anything?

Difficulty is set into six different categories, all of which apply to combat exclusively.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
When you find a chest/the stairs in a dungeon, is there supposed to be a clip of your party members commenting on that? It's weird, my music always quiets down in those parts like there's supposed to be something playing over it.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
From what I've gleaned, it was voiced in the Japanese version, but not for the English version for whatever reason.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Moriveth posted:

When you find a chest/the stairs in a dungeon, is there supposed to be a clip of your party members commenting on that? It's weird, my music always quiets down in those parts like there's supposed to be something playing over it.

I've noticed that too, either it's an oversight/bug or it's to get you to pay attention to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King of Solomon posted:

Difficulty is set into six different categories, all of which apply to combat exclusively.

Technically, it does fold over into the Social Link aspects, as dungeons will take longer to complete and thus leave you fewer free days to hang out with your friends.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Technically, it does fold over into the Social Link aspects, as dungeons will take longer to complete and thus leave you fewer free days to hang out with your friends.

Well, yes. This is true. I just mean that the actual point values are unchanged. Hahah.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If you don't care about chests (and thus don't anger the reaper) I can still see people blazing through dungeons in a game day. It's pretty easy, at least in normal, to keep your HP/SP up through cards, items, and cheaper fox stuff.

Then again I have no idea how much harder the difficulty above normal is since I asked to begin with. Maybe it's a lot harder?

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I am really enjoying this game. It looks great, plays nice, and is basically Persona 4 but better.

My only complaints are that Marie seems waaaay too fanservice-y, even more than I expected her to be. I don't hate her, but god drat.

Also I don't have a lot of time to play this. Stupid having a full-time job. Maybe if I told my wife I was quitting to spend more time with Persona 4...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Moriveth posted:

I am really enjoying this game. It looks great, plays nice, and is basically Persona 4 but better.

My only complaints are that Marie seems waaaay too fanservice-y, even more than I expected her to be. I don't hate her, but god drat.

Also I don't have a lot of time to play this. Stupid having a full-time job. Maybe if I told my wife I was quitting to spend more time with Persona 4...

What do you need a wife for, anyway? You have Chie, Rise, and Yukiko Kanji.

Marie does seem a bit fanservice-y. It also makes me wish the MC would tell someone he sees a magical blue door that he goes into.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

No joke, I probably would romance Kanji if he was an option. I bet that would be awesome.

"Get bent, you big lug."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Moriveth posted:

No joke, I probably would romance Kanji if he was an option. I bet that would be awesome.

"Get bent, you big lug."

I absolutely would romance Kanji if he was an option. I would romance him sooner than several of the female characters in this game. :allears:

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Quick question, how do you get models for your room?

Moriveth posted:

"Get bent, you big lug."

You'd have to have a cold black heart not to, given unlike most of the dateble female leads he's both interesting and free of creepy poo poo.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 7, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You get the first one as part of a request for the Hermit Social Link. Talk to the guy more and you'll get new ones after you finish the first.

Pixle
Aug 15, 2004
Not quite sure I follow you there

neongrey posted:

That's actually a question that was asked to Atlus back in the original P2 release of Persona 4, and it turns out part of the reason they had a Tatsuya and Jun option was an experiment to see if that option would attract Yaoi fangirls. I wish I was kidding.

Pixle fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 7, 2012

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

These new scenes are amazing. I didn't expect the new stuff to be so well done. The beach was
Fully voiced and well written. This game is so good.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey did anyone join the music club? Does the October event play out any different if you did?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Moriveth posted:

I'm married with a full time job and the fact that this is portable means I can spend a lot more time with it than a PC or PS3 game. Like you can do some of the stuff that doesn't require too much commitment while watching TV or something.

I drive to work too, if I had a train ride or something I probably would have finished this by now.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

if I had a train ride or something I probably would have finished this by now.

This is literally my case. Full time job now, but with short hours and a long almost hour long commute (one way) by train. If it weren't for the insanely hand holdy and tedious opening hour I've would have beaten it by now.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Gah, two levels in Moon and one level in Temperance away from a perfect S.Link run. If there was one more week in February I could've done it.

Oh well, something for my NG+ Very Hard run. :unsmigghh:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I think I'm going to bite the bullet on my next playthrough and finally help a certain someone with their self-esteem problems :shepicide:

Also, I'd date any of the guys over Marie.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I have no idea how all you guys are so much better at time management and social links than I am. :saddowns:

I did max out all the party members' links and generally all the links that mattered (as well as Tower and Devil) but all the school links got neglected pretty bad and were at rank 6-8 at the end except for Hanged Man who was rank 1. I probably could have done a couple of those in January, but I wanted the new personas for all the party members.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm married with a full time job and the fact that this is portable means I can spend a lot more time with it than a PC or PS3 game. Like you can do some of the stuff that doesn't require too much commitment while watching TV or something.

I drive to work too, if I had a train ride or something I probably would have finished this by now.

I'd probably have a little more time if we didn't have a kid and weren't in the middle of moving too. But I'm managing to get time in when I can.

Also, goddamn, that bonus boss in Yukiko's dungeon does not gently caress around. I thought I was doing okay and then he rampaged my rear end and killed everyone.

Probably best to level up a bit before trying that again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Goodness, some books double the rate some of your stats go up? That's crazy! Does it actually allow you to max out Knowledge or whatever that much faster or did they increase the number of points needed?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Goodness, some books double the rate some of your stats go up? That's crazy! Does it actually allow you to max out Knowledge or whatever that much faster or did they increase the number of points needed?

It doesn't actually double the statgain, just doubles in very specific circumstances. The Knowledge one makes you get 2 knowledge boosts when you study at home instead of 1, but you still get 1 for everything else.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

It doesn't actually double the statgain, just doubles in very specific circumstances. The Knowledge one makes you get 2 knowledge boosts when you study at home instead of 1, but you still get 1 for everything else.

its any studying, not just at home. I got 2 each time I studied in the library with one of the team members

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larsson posted:

I think I'm going to bite the bullet on my next playthrough and finally help a certain someone with their self-esteem problems :shepicide:

Joining the YH school band is a cry for help if ever I heard one. There are people who love and care about you. Seek help!

Nate RFB, I don't know if this is your first time playing any version of Persona 4, but could it also have been the rainy day bonus?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It specifically says "Because you read X, you studied more efficiently!", and gives you another boost.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I just tried it out in the few days right before the exams; doubled both studying at home and at the library. The library one actually gave me three boosts because it was that thunderstorm day as well.

Since Diligence and Knowledge are the two you can directly train at home, I'm guessing that those are the only two stats whose rate you can increase? I already have the Diligence book, at the very least.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

There's one that doubles courage boosts from working at the hospital, and one that doubles boosts from eating at Aiya. I haven't actually read that one yet but if it doubles the rainy day beef bowl that would be pretty nuts.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanji is too good for Naoto. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Radish posted:

Kanji is too good for Naoto. :colbert:

Kanji is too good for all of us.

Nate RFB posted:

Since Diligence and Knowledge are the two you can directly train at home, I'm guessing that those are the only two stats whose rate you can increase? I already have the Diligence book, at the very least.

You can also bump understanding by doing paper cranes, and expression by translating, not sure if they get books or not.

• Locked thread