Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Looking at pictures is hard.

Australia makes me feel glad because it's an Island that is also called Little America only theirs is way worse than ours. On the other hand, they have way better beer and weather.

Thanks for being a dick but none of the hard numbers they cite are in their sources. The first year lawyer figure is so wrong it undermines the validity of the entire graphic in a monumental way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

Thanks for being a dick but none of the hard numbers they cite are in their sources. The first year lawyer figure is so wrong it undermines the validity of the entire graphic in a monumental way.

They US is on top of enough bad "per-capita" statistics that I don't see why they need to make a whole graph proving that the US has a higher population than most other countries.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, the closest I could find to that $115k figure is this, which says the top 25% of males with a professional degree earn $200k or more, versus the top 25% of males with a bachelors earning $96k or more, which is still only a $105k difference and not for starting positions, or lawyers or teachers specifically.

Also one of their sources is a blog citing the trailer for Waiting For Superman. It takes balls to use a blog citing a movie trailer as a source.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fool_of_sound posted:

Sorry for the late response, was called away. I think that you are confusing theological Calvinists with the works of John Calvin (the two are somewhat different). John Calvin argued that free will is an illusion, and that choices are predetermined. He also promoted asceticism, but that isn't what we're referring to here.

Eh, I'm pretty sure the first guy in this Calvinism mini-derail meant the European theological sense, because he implied Americans look at food as a kind of bad indulgence of the flesh that has to be overcome, giving lovely food a kind of taboo attraction too. Although your definition of Calvinism seems pretty true to some of the attitudes of Fat-advocates, to be fair.

"hurf durf design means combining a whole bunch of lovely fonts together right?" Maybe these people hope their lovely design distracts from their retarded viewpoints?

Ah some viewpoints I can agree with, no matter how they are designed :allears: Here's some more:

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
As an employed lawyer now 4.5 years out of law school, let me say those numbers are hilariously wrong. If a midline starting teacher salary is $35k (just an estimate, I only know the lawyer end of this), that chart is saying the starting lawyer salary is 150k. Those salaries do exist but represent only a relatively small portion of individuals who go to the top law firms in the biggest cities in the country, and who are also essentially working 2 full-time high-stress jobs because of their billable hour requirements. Even for the top end there has been a significant downward pressure in recent years.

Info graphic!

To my understanding these are only the folks who actually report their numbers which also tends to skew the chart upward.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
A few years ago, James Mollison began taking photos of children around the world and their rooms. "I soon realized that my own experience of having a 'bedroom' simply doesn't apply to so many kids," he recalls in his book Where Children Sleep, which collects his images from 18 countries. Striking and unsentimental, Mollison's work shows that wherever a child lies down at night is not so much a retreat from as a reflection of the world outside.

Erlen is 14 years old and is pregnant for the third time. She lives in a favela in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Her home is a small shack. She usually sleeps on the floor, but now that she is in the later stages of her pregnancy, her mother has swapped places and allowed her to sleep in the bed. Erlen was 12 when she first became pregnant, but her baby was stillborn. A year later, she lost a second baby soon after its birth. If her new baby survives, Erlen is unlikely to return to school as she will need to stay at home to look after it. She will be a single parent. Erlen would like to be a vet when she is older, and to live somewhere else.

Dong is nine years old. He lives in the province of Yunnan in southwest China with his parents, sister, and grandfather. He shares a room with his sister and parents. They are a poor family who own just enough land to grow their own rice and sugar cane. Dong's school is 20 minutes' walk away. He especially enjoys writing and singing. Most evenings, he spends one hour completing his homework and one hour watching television. When he is older, Dong would like to be a policeman, because he'll be able to "catch thieves and run around."

Samantha is nine years old. She lives with her parents, and her guinea pig and fish, in a detached house on Long Island, New York. Samantha has achieved a black belt in karate. She has been world champion three times. She first became interested at the age of three, when she saw a television ad featuring karate. Her bedroom is full of trophies she has won in competitions. She spends four hours a day practicing karate at the studio and also has an hour and a half of school homework each night. Samantha would like to become a karate movie star.

Indira lives with her parents, brother, and sister near Kathmandu in Nepal. Her house has only one room, with one bed and one mattress. At bedtime, the children share the mattress on the floor. Indira is seven years old and has worked at the local granite quarry since she was three. Indira works five or six hours a day and then helps her mother with household chores. Her favorite food is noodles. She also attends school, which is 30 minutes' walk away. She does not mind working at the quarry but would prefer to be playing.

From: http://www.motherjones.com/media/2012/11/kids-bedrooms-james-mollison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geTSBFb_GR4

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Are we still talking about obesity? I always find it such an interesting topic. I've been a skinny goon, an athletic goon, and a fat-gently caress :btroll: goon (and back to athletic and so on) throughout my life so I guess I have a pretty different perspective than a lot of people here.

I'm lucky enough that it doesn't take a titanic amount of effort for me to lose weight or put on muscle. But I also recognize that I have a better metabolism and no major health problems than a lot of people and more importantly, I have quite a bit more money, free time, and energy than a poo poo load of people (even on my non-profit salary). So yeah, I don't blame fat people for being fat; that poo poo's not productive.

Obesity is a serious loving problem, but if you're serious about reducing it, that poo poo doesn't come from yelling at fat people or making them feel like crap. That's basic consensus among public health and policy researchers and professionals.

The only thing yelling at fat people does is make you feel good. And that's totally fine (although it's a rather lovely thing to do)! But please don't think it will ever make a serious contribution to fighting obesity. If you really care about fighting obesity, attack and fight the social structures that enable it.

quote:

For members of Penn State's chapter of Chi Omega sorority, just having a Mexican–themed party wasn't enough. They also dressed up in sombreros and mustaches. That evidently still wasn't adequate to drive home the fact that they were mocking the people their outfits portrayed. So they posed with signs that read, "Will mow lawn for weed + beer" and "I don't cut grass I smoke it." And just in case not enough people on campus had the chance to be offended, they posted the photos on Tumblr and Facebook for the world to see.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/crazy-talk-racist-mexican-sorority-party

Jesus christ, burn Penn State down.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 7, 2012

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

fool_of_sound posted:

He also promoted asceticism, but that isn't what we're referring to here.

At the risk of reopening fat chat, no, you are wrong, that was what "Calvinism" was referring to, until Miltank and you misinterpreted it. I feel like neither of you actually put any effort into reading Peven Stan's posts, and instead projected your own biases onto them.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Senor Gato posted:

At the risk of reopening fat chat, no, you are wrong, that was what "Calvinism" was referring to, until Miltank and you misinterpreted it. I feel like neither of you actually put any effort into reading Peven Stan's posts, and instead projected your own biases onto them.

Posthuman? Oh man, I can't wait to see what we're going to evolve into :allears:

Two epically bearded men get some of that sweet, sweet legal gay marriage in Washington today.

e:

I highly recommend getting to see the whole "Where Children Sleep", it's awesome/sad. Also, Jaime is 9 and is already Republican as all hell.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 7, 2012

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Also made a thread for us to continue the dicussion about fat acceptance versus fat shaming.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521373

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Senor Gato posted:

At the risk of reopening fat chat, no, you are wrong, that was what "Calvinism" was referring to, until Miltank and you misinterpreted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohMGqFhpypo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIXz_vzROrw

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

:allears:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Supersonic Shine posted:

This is a silly statement that manages to stand out in a debate absolutely filled with silly statements.

http://imgur.com/nvkOr

Image embedding isn't working and I can't be arsed to find out what's wrong. It's some Australian politician going "I'm threatened by boats and gays Gays on boats are my worst nightmare"
He didn't say this.

Tony Abbott is both a huge racist and a massive homophobe. "Boats" refers to asylum seekers entering Australia, which the Liberal Party of which Abbott is leader seem to think are a destructive menace to Australia and persecute without end, up to and including locking away in what are effectively concentration camps. This was a joke image that one of our government Ministers, Tanya Plibersek, got in trouble over having in her office.

Content - our former Prime Minister, professional bridge troll and all around awful person John Howard, failing at sport.

http://youtu.be/iGqTayhu5QM

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

First off the starting teacher vs. starting lawyer pay statistic isn't correct. It may be correct for a first year associate at a full service law firm, but overall its not. Also, lawyers go to school far longer than teachers and law school is much more rigorous than teachers college. Also, why target working, productive people like lawyers. Lawyers provide a real benefit to society. Why not target the capitalists who reap benefit but in most cases do very little or nothing?

Ah union blaming! Now it becomes obvious why the capitalist class wasn't targeted. Basically :fuckoff:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

NewtGoongrich posted:

Ah union blaming! Now it becomes obvious why the capitalist class wasn't targeted. Basically :fuckoff:

I wonder if they legit think Finnish teachers don't have unions and that Finnish teacher unions aren't a significant part of why their system actually works

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2I66dHbSRA

A remastered and enhanced footage of the hydrogen bomb blast at Bikini Atoll (Castle Bravo). I really get depressed watching this, knowing that we actually built several thousand of these. :smithicide:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Job Truniht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2I66dHbSRA

A remastered and enhanced footage of the hydrogen bomb blast at Bikini Atoll (Castle Bravo). I really get depressed watching this, knowing that we actually built several thousand of these. :smithicide:

From the related videos, ominously titled "Atomic Bomb Test on human subjects"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9g_rl2JnU
Complete with a Pink Floyd soundtrack. No idea about the context for this footage though. I'm guessing American.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Complete with a Pink Floyd soundtrack. No idea about the context for this footage though. I'm guessing American.

Looking at the list of US nuclear tests I'm guessing it was part of the Buster - Jangle tests.

Internet Archive has an hour long documentary about the tests.

Edit: It was probably Plumbbob where they wanted to study the effects of nukes on humans.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 7, 2012

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

Did you really just write words about eating bad food twice a year?

Also, American are increasingly food conscious because 2/3rds of "Normal American Food" will kill you by 65 if you eat it regularly, unless you work on a farm or factory line 8 hours a day.

Edit: My normal morning diet: nonfat yogurt, seasonal nuts, small seasonal fruit, protein powder/eggs. Impossibly hard and costly right?

Pictured, Belgium's national dish, "french" (belgian really) fries with sauce in a cornet.
A country that has less than half the obesity rate of the US :frogc00l:.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Senor Gato posted:

This graph is A: False because saying that scientific invention and development stopped during the 'Christian Dark Ages' is false and B: Incredibly Eurocentric. Also you know Muslim dark ages, no numbers on the vertical axis and so on. Terrible graph.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

Did you really just write words about eating bad food twice a year?

Also, American are increasingly food conscious because 2/3rds of "Normal American Food" will kill you by 65 if you eat it regularly, unless you work on a farm or factory line 8 hours a day.

Edit: My normal morning diet: nonfat yogurt, seasonal nuts, small seasonal fruit, protein powder/eggs. Impossibly hard and costly right?

How the hell is Belgian only 12%? Growing up on Flemish food it was all ridiculously unhealthy, looking back. Meat, oil and root vegetables would be a good summation.

Oh, and mussels. Mussels and chips were the focal point of our trips back to Oostende.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Looking at pictures is hard.

Australia makes me feel glad because it's an Island that is also called Little America only theirs is way worse than ours. On the other hand, they have way better beer and weather.

Richest per capita country in the world. the only first world economy to be unaffected by the GFC. free healthcare. Cops don't shoot you. Religion separated from politics. Openly gay federal politicians. Strong gun control. Legal abortion. nobody burns black people. Very low unemployment. Highly advanced and well funded scientific and medical research institutions. High quality public education for all. No effective student debt. Govt can't spy on you with drones. The mineral wealth of an entire continent to ourselves.

But of course you're right what a lovely country

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETqOvBKnKdk
:h: Tony Benn :h:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Gibbone posted:

Richest per capita country in the world. the only first world economy to be unaffected by the GFC. free healthcare. Cops don't shoot you. Religion separated from politics. Openly gay federal politicians. Strong gun control. Legal abortion. nobody burns black people. Very low unemployment. Highly advanced and well funded scientific and medical research institutions. High quality public education for all. No effective student debt. Govt can't spy on you with drones. The mineral wealth of an entire continent to ourselves.

It would be a beautiful country if those things were true. Here, have some pictures.

The children we detain indefinitely because they dared to seek asylum here.

The scene where an unarmed indigenous man was shot by police because he crashed a stolen car into a building (shot after the fact, not before).

An openly gay senator who stands in lockstep with her party in opposing any practical attempt at legislating for gay marriage.

Our world-class embrace of multiculturalism

And poo poo, if you get to go back to the klan, I guess we'll go with some stolen generations

Indigenous children taken from their parents by the state in order to make sure they'll grow up white.

Don't assume that because a place is better than America that it isn't also bad. Being better than the worst possible example is not difficult, nor should it be seen as a benchmark for success.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gibbone posted:

You say that now, but you won't be so :smug: when the spiders rise up and kill you all.

Yakse
May 19, 2006
If I may take off my actor pants for a moment and pull my Analrapist stocking over my head.....

Gibbone posted:

Smegmatron beat me to a bit of it but;
1) Yes
2) We are absolutely affected by the GFC, we just avoided a recession
3) Yes
4) Usually they tase people to death
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/mar2012/tase-m21.shtml
But occasionally they will shoot someone without identifying themselves as police http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/fatal-shooting-police-may-not-have-identified-themselves-inquest-20121203-2aq8k.html
5) That picture below is the leader of the opposition, who has a decent chance of becoming PM next election. When his party was in charge, he was the minister for health, who stopped the drug RU486 from being accessible in Australia because of his religious views.

6) We've had three openly gay politicians. One retired from politics recently(The leader of the Green party, and one of the few Australian politicians with conviction) the one smegmatron mentioned, and one in the Liberal party(the party Tony Abbott is leader of, and is very much anti-gay, to put it in his terms "I'm threated by gays")
7) Yes
8) Not totally in all states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Australia
Most states have laws saying that the mother must be at risk, whether they act on that depends if the state starts with a Q.
9) Yes they do, and they don't even get prosecuted for it http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/14/australia-aborigine-cooked-prison-van
10) Yes, but high underemployment, and our employment figures are a bit fudged.
11) Not really qualified to answer this one
12) Except those in rural areas(90% of the country)
13) I'm not really qualified to retort this one, but our university system used to be free.
14) Yes they can/do http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-13/drone-technology-prompts-privacy-law-review-call/4260526
15) That we get shafted on royalties for, mineral wealth won't last forever

Yakse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 7, 2012

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yakse posted:

6) We've had three openly gay politicians. One retired from politics recently(The leader of the Green party, and one of the few Australian politicians with conviction) the one smegmatron mentioned, and one in the Liberal party(the party Tony Abbott is leader of, and is very much anti-gay, to put it in his terms "I'm threated by gays")
Four, at the Federal level. There's also Louise Pratt from WA.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Gibbone posted:

Cops don't shoot you.
Except if you're mentally disabled, then they'll shoot you in front of your father and paramedics and get away with it.

Trust me, Cops aren't perfect in Australia, and from my personal experiences they might as well be american cops.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

President Obama receives the concession call from Mitt Romney.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Earth posted:

You guys didn't like my education picture so let's try this one:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

From the related videos, ominously titled "Atomic Bomb Test on human subjects"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9g_rl2JnU

The Chinese were a little smarter about nuclear experiments and gave everyone proper NBC suits, even the horses got respirators. Well if you can call experimenting with nuclear bombs "smart".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYPHaWDT10s

Yes, that is a Chinese solider on horse back firing a Type-56 with a nuclear weapon in the background. I guess the Chinese wanted to see how horses would respond to a blast, since unlike internal combustion engines horses aren't affected by EMPs.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Australia I can't find a GDP per capita number either nominal or PPP that puts you at #1, or even in the top 10. :colbert:

Also we have gay politicians at the federal level as well(Tammy Baldin :allears:) and our top federal politician is publicly in favor of gay marriage even if he was forced to say it by his vice president. Your non married, atheist center-left prime minister is still against gay marriage for some reason.

But yeah, we're pretty terrible in most other regards :smith:

Speaking of Australia, here's the weirdest political speech I've seen the head of government of a nation make in a long time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtj3gDaE64

Well, she's still against gay marriage, but at least she has a sense of humor.

Also

and

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Smegmatron posted:

Don't assume that because a place is better than America that it isn't also bad. Being better than the worst possible example is not difficult, nor should it be seen as a benchmark for success.

It amazes me the amount of black & white thinking that goes on in here regarding America's place in the world, as if the USA is utter poo poo and the rest of the Western world is the city on the hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Thewittyname posted:

It amazes me the amount of black & white thinking that goes on in here regarding America's place in the world, as if the USA is utter poo poo and the rest of the Western world is the city on the hill.

There's a certain popular American intellectual who's probably partly to blame for this.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 7, 2012

• Locked thread