Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I thought it was 10, too but Pravda seems to have 15 tanks fielded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zettace posted:

I thought it was 10, too but Pravda seems to have 15 tanks fielded.

In the match proper? Or just in their VICTORY MARCH in the snow during the singing portion?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Artificer posted:

In the match proper? Or just in their VICTORY MARCH in the snow during the singing portion?
Miho said it was a 15 versus 6 match which implies that the enemy has 15 tanks in the battle. If 5 were replacement tanks then why would the match with Saunders (the team with the most tanks) only have been considered a 10 versus 5.
Maybe the 10 tank limit is only for the early rounds?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zettace posted:

Miho said it was a 15 versus 6 match which implies that the enemy has 15 tanks in the battle. If 5 were replacement tanks then why would the match with Saunders (the team with the most tanks) only have been considered a 10 versus 5.
Maybe the 10 tank limit is only for the early rounds?

Oh. Huh.

Yeah, I have no clue, then.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It was 10 max in the first match, presumably it's some other limit the higher up you go.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

lodoubt posted:

It seems unlikely to me that the GirlsundPanzerverse actually operates like that, but interestingly an Abrams tank silouhette in the same style as the Panzer silouhette that the show uses in the OP and ED has been showing up in odd places. None of the other tanks have recieved the same treatment from what I've noticed.

I think it's actually their instructor's Type-10, which looks pretty similar to an Abrams.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nine of Eight posted:

I think it's actually their instructor's Type-10, which looks pretty similar to an Abrams.

Right you are, I just don't know enough about modern tanks evidently.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Artificer posted:

Ok, I might be going insane, but where on earth is singing portion? where in what episode? I don't remember seeing it and can't find it for the life of me.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

genki posted:

Ok, I might be going insane, but where on earth is singing portion? where in what episode? I don't remember seeing it and can't find it for the life of me.

The bit where Pravda does Katyusha in the most recent.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

DerLeo posted:

The bit where Pravda does Katyusha in the most recent.
Well it's not in episode 8 and that's the most recent I know of (crunchy sub).

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

genki posted:

Well it's not in episode 8 and that's the most recent I know of (crunchy sub).

It's in episode 8, at around 13:10, dunno what Crunchy's doing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I made a shorter version that snips off the talking at the beginning for easier infinite looping. Unfortunately I have yet to re-install Adobe Premiere so making a 3-4 minute version may take a while.

Yes I kept in the War Cry. :allears:

genki
Nov 12, 2003

DerLeo posted:

It's in episode 8, at around 13:10, dunno what Crunchy's doing.
It's not there. What the gently caress. I'm not happy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

genki posted:

It's not there. What the gently caress. I'm not happy.

Called it. Licensing issues. According to :tvtropes:

Also according to the above the only allowed models are anything that actually that had a prototype as of V-J Day.

Also apparently in our alternate history here men were forbidden from driving tanks because it was thought it would start wars (being developed in the 20's instead of WWI?) and so WWII seems to have had tank crews with only women, which is kinda cool.

e: Also thanks to the above I've learned that the Radio Operating from the Saunders battle is voiced by Aya Hirano! I knew she was awesome.

e2: I keep coming back and thinking about the latest battle in ep 8 and here's my thoughts.

It's not actually a bad strategy on paper, hit the enemy first and harder when they least expect it. The US Army Armored Corps has a specific term of this where they have a highly mobile strike team of tanks and ifv's go in and wreck poo poo and then pull out leaving the enemy disorganized and demoralized. The point in those engagements is to prove your utter superiority over the enemy by showing them that there's nothing they can do to stop you from doing that at a time and place of YOUR choosing. This was done with great effect in Iraq and by the Soviets in Afghanistan.

In some ways its also a useful strategy in this situation, the reasoning/rationalization provided by Miho is correct. The pravda team is far more likely to benefit from a protracted drawn out engagement.

The Soviet tanks with their wider treads and diesel engines are more reliable in harsh arctic conditions than the mishmash of tanks and minor adjustments Ourai could make. The chances of getting stuck if they stay still for too long are non trivial and a frequent problem for German tankers on the eastern front.

Additionally the advantage of armor lies mostly in their concentration and mobility, so putting all of their tanks together to spearhead straight for the flag tank is likely to not be easily stopped.

There's four problems though and Miho's original plan is likely better for these reasons:

1) The Soviet team is likely much better suited for the defence where you can easily provoke the enemy to fight on your terms, superior numbers means they can cover more avenues of attack. Better winter clothing and preparations mean that they can sit still, also as above the Soviet vehicles are more reliable in winter so the risk of getting frozen still is much less.

2) Team Pravda seems like a symbiosis of a 1943/1944 Soviet Army that managed to relearn Deep Operations, so took careful note of Ourai's movements through reconnaissance; used Maskirovka to keep their forces hidden (encouraging the recklessness of Ourai's overconfidence). Baiting the enemy team and then carefully encircling the enemy with superior forces once they were successfully drawn in to an enclosed area where the superior range and accuracy of the long 75mm is diminished (And where the superior close range brawling of the IS-2's 122mm gun gains the advantage). Pravda, like the RL Soviet Army uses operational proficiency to make up for the tactical short comings of the early war T-34's. Finally the merging of the political with the military with the whole surrender bit where victory is more important than annihilating the enemy (also a Sun Tzu saying).

3) While Deep Operations works just as well for the attack, much of the Soviet advantage of it comes from support units such as overwhelming artillery which is lacking in the tank battles. The best they got is the slow loading KV-2 with the derp, and lack rail mounted rocket launchers. So on the attack they face a distinct disadvantage against the longer ranged long barrel guns of the StugIII and the up gunner Panzer IV.

4) Also lastly, the Soviets are simply better at maneuver war in the winter, their tanks are faster and more maneuverable and better trained for it. Ourai COULD win a maneuver war against a numerically superior team, it has plenty of historical precedents. The problem is their mishmash can't outrun the T-34's so they can't effectively disengage to perform hit and run attacks. Luring them into ambushes would be futile because Pravda could simply envelop the ambush.

:mil101:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 6, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a misconception that the IS‐2’s A‐19 gun was inaccurate.

The rate of fire and ammo capacity were bad because it used two‐part ammunition, and it didn’t have so much penetrating power, but it was as accurate as the Tiger’s gun.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I kind of feel like the "Anzu is literally Hitler" thing may be right since things went a bit Operation Barbarosa on them after she decided to over ride Miho's plan.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

genki posted:

I confirmed this myself, and yes, Crunchyroll cut the Katyusha song. What in the gently caress. I highly loving doubt Russia is going to sue over anime. :psyduck:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 6, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Killer Queen posted:

I confirmed this myself, and yes, Crunchyroll cut the Katyusha song. What in the gently caress. I highly loving doubt Russia is going to sue over anime. :psyduck:
Not knowing who holds the copyright means that you err on the side of caution. It was written in 1938, but no US court would enforce a Russian claim at that time, and obviously it wasn't registered. But apparently as part of the Uruguay Rounds Agreement Act, any Russian work that would have been copyrighted but for failure to follow US formalities had its copyright restored. Since the song postdates Steamboat Willie, it's probably held by someone, and since Cruncyroll is showing it in the US, it follows US copyright law.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
God-drat, with exam season winding down I finally had time to catch up with this series, and by God I think it's one of those shows I'll always make time for, come what may :allears:

Paracelsus posted:

Not knowing who holds the copyright means that you err on the side of caution. It was written in 1938, but no US court would enforce a Russian claim at that time, and obviously it wasn't registered. But apparently as part of the Uruguay Rounds Agreement Act, any Russian work that would have been copyrighted but for failure to follow US formalities had its copyright restored. Since the song postdates Steamboat Willie, it's probably held by someone, and since Cruncyroll is showing it in the US, it follows US copyright law.

I'd have thought Katyusha would have been under some kind of cultural freedom law or something, free for all? Seems like such a pity to have it taken out, especially since Nonna's V/A is a Russia nut and all.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CommissarMega posted:

I'd have thought Katyusha would have been under some kind of cultural freedom law or something, free for all?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Works don't lose copyright protection because they're culturally significant or anything like that. "Happy Birthday to You" is under copyright, for example, and if you want to reproduce it for commercial purposes, you'll be paying the successors in interest of the estate of Irving Berlin for the privilege until the copyright term expires. Which, if Disney has its say, will be never. They don't enforce the reproduction for non-commercial purposes, because that would defeat the point of writing and marketing the song (and be impossible to enforce in a rigorous fashion without extremely intrusive measures), but that has nothing do do with whether it's cultural.

If you mean under Russian law or something, from the sounds of the Uruguay Agreement they were interested in US copyright protection, so I doubt that comes into play on their side.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm not actually sure what I meant, myself :blush: I just thought that by virtue of being such a culturally important song, anyone would be free to use it without needing to fear DA LAW unless it was used in an offensive context.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CommissarMega posted:

I'm not actually sure what I meant, myself :blush: I just thought that by virtue of being such a culturally important song, anyone would be free to use it without needing to fear DA LAW unless it was used in an offensive context.
No one's going to knock down your door because you sing a copyrighted song or play it on your guitar for your friends. But if you use it to make money (as was the case here), then the wheels of justice start turnin' if you haven't licensed the work.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And like I said, I thought that Katyusha was exempt; nobody's going to go gaga here in Malaysia if a character in a TV show started singing the national anthem or an Eidul'fitr song, and I thought Katyusha had that same leeway.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

And like I said, I thought that Katyusha was exempt; nobody's going to go gaga here in Malaysia if a character in a TV show started singing the national anthem or an Eidul'fitr song, and I thought Katyusha had that same leeway.

I think most national anthems in other countries do that, it's just some countries who are very sue-happy about such things.

I know that there's no copyright on Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's "Ja Vi Elsker", which is alrgely considered our national anthem.

New times and all, but I don't think communist Russia is extremely occupied with a copyright on their national anthem either.

EDIT: vvvvv Okay, that makes more sense to me.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 7, 2012

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
I'm not a crunchyroll employee or anything, but if the version that's airing is edited, it's because the studio gave them an edited version. There's no way CR has the manpower or the desire to do something like that by themselves.

Japanese studios pull all kinds of dumb poo poo when licensing here, so I've heard.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
EDIT: ^^^^ what he said.

Killer Queen posted:

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
I am disappointed that Katyusha did not make it into the release, but it was enough seeing it on Youtube. This show has a clarity of vision many anime don't even approach.

Whilst I'm cheering for Pravda for :ussr: solidarity, I am equally eager to see how Miho's going to get out of this one.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Katyusha wasn't the Soviet national anthem, it was the Internationale until the middle of World War II, when it was changed to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Better known as the Yoshi’s Island opening tune.

Seriously. As far as I have been able to find, that tune is original to the Soviet anthem. They didn’t both borrow from some earlier work.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You know, I am glad they chose Katyusha for Pravda's song, but if they wanted to be really :spergin: about it then they should have chosen a song that was written specifically for Soviet tankmen

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
So a quick update, I talked to a friend who works at Crunchyroll, and he confirmed it was the studio that cut it out. Essentially, whenever you get the strange cuts or ridiculous censoring, etc, it's because they received it that way. The studio gave them a version for international audiences or something. CR hires the subbers, encodes it, streams it, but they don't make edits to the content.

Tl;dr if something's wrong, the problem is probably on the other side of the Pacific.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
haha I went looking for a longer full version of the song on youtube and almost immediately found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivASIwtHALM

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Mitsuo posted:

So a quick update, I talked to a friend who works at Crunchyroll, and he confirmed it was the studio that cut it out. Essentially, whenever you get the strange cuts or ridiculous censoring, etc, it's because they received it that way. The studio gave them a version for international audiences or something. CR hires the subbers, encodes it, streams it, but they don't make edits to the content.

Tl;dr if something's wrong, the problem is probably on the other side of the Pacific.
Ah, that's good to know. Stupid japan.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
They brought out the Stalin Organs!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
More awesome music. :allears: There really needs to be an extended soundtrack.

Dancing too. Even better.
I suppose there were some fun tank chases.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Ha, the reason why Ooarai's tanks are so ragtag and includes some really lovely tanks is because the school sold off the good ones when the first Sensha-do club disbanded. Basically, what they're using right now are tanks that weren't saleable because they're not that good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zettace posted:

Ha, the reason why Ooarai's tanks are so ragtag and includes some really lovely tanks is because the school sold off the good ones when the first Sensha-do club disbanded. Basically, what they're using right now are tanks that weren't saleable because they're not that good.

Buddy, you better not be talking poo poo about my waifu :colbert:

(And by that, I mean the Panzer IV, especially since it was upgraded to an Ausf. F2)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tonberrytoby posted:

More awesome music. :allears: There really needs to be an extended soundtrack.

Dancing too. Even better.
I suppose there were some fun tank chases.

Best episode of the series for the best Non-JoJo anime of the season.

No Mega, its the Stug where its at :black101:

For the love of everything I hope the result is a draw :ohdear:

Pravda is awesome.

Miho is officially bad rear end, that took guts. to stand on top of your tank

It was great to see a lot of WOT tactics this episode:

Annoying light scout tank, shooting treads, hiding a TD in the snow, etc

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I realize the futility of nitpicking a show about high school girls driving WWII tanks, but come on, no one from Pravda thought to zero in on the church door during the wait? :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
So what tank was that at the end? WHO ARE THEY? OH GOD ANIMETANKS

• Locked thread