Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Burning Mustache posted:

It might be a lot more enjoyable if you just don't think about the grinding and your loadout too much.

Yeah, there are some classes and guns that will make an objectively better damage output than most other combinations, but you don't really need those to enjoy the game.

Even as someone who has most of the guns except for a couple of ultra rares, and all of the rare guns / characters maxed out, I find myself playing some launch classes and using some more average guns, rather than the 2 or 3 utterly broken (as in, overpowered) super weapons just for shits and giggles a lot of the time now.

If you're too far behind to realistically unlock all the stuff, you should just not think about it too hard and try to enjoy the game with the stuff you got.

Also, on the plus side, buying new packs is actually somewhat exciting and something to look forward to if you don't already have all of the gold guns and classes unlocked yet.

Good points, but I have a few games that I want to play before I get back to Mass Effect. Maybe in a few months or something. I'm waiting for this last single player DLC to drop (is it the last?) before I buy all of them instead of playing through them piecemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I've been going back and doing a trilogy playthrough the last month or two and as a Vanguard the difference between ME2 and ME3 combat is night and day. I never charged much with my Vanguard in ME2 in the early release days because I just wasn't good at it and died a lot and it made me feel like I was a lovely player. My goal was to charge a lot more when I got to ME2 and although it was better, it felt like a chore half the time and was still really dangerous sometimes. I still ended up liking staying back and using pull and reave (bonus power) better than charging most of the time. Honestly at times I liked ME1 combat a little more than ME2, just for fun powerspamming.

In ME3 it's all charge, all the time and it's always fun and awesome. Plus I found my new favorite gun *ever* (the shotgun looks like a 20's gangster tommygun). It honestly feels like there's just not enough combat in ME3 at times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shards of Fate posted:

Did they fix the frame rate issue in the trilogy version of ME3? Or is the Xbox trilogy version of ME3 still the one to go for.

The Xbox version isn't changed or fixed at all, and is easily the worst of the lot. The PS3 version runs incredibly smoothly and I haven't encountered any frame rate problems at all. Even the idiots on BSN admit that it's better than the Xbox version; apparently Edge of Reality is a Good Developer despite their history being "a bunch of lovely Tony Hawk and Sims games, and DA: Origins on the PS3/Xbox". To be fair, the console port of Origins was as good as it could be, the problems it had were design decisions on Bioware's end, not decisions on EOR's end (not being able to zoom out, e.g.).

e: In fact, ME1 on PS3 arguably runs better than 2 and 3, though I personally never had issues with those either, aside from cutscenes sometimes being out of sync. ME2 on PS3 was a huge improvement over the 360 version, IMO. Probably due to running on a completely new engine.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.
Does the ME1 port have trophies? I have every achievement for the 360 versions but feel kinda compelled to buy the trilogy on PS3 and get them all again because I'm literally a crazy person. :shepface:

vvv gently caress yeah. Thanks.

Cheap Vodka fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 7, 2012

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cheap Vodka posted:

Does the ME1 port have trophies? I have every achievement for the 360 versions but feel kinda compelled to buy the trilogy on PS3 and get them all again because I'm literally a crazy person. :shepface:

Yeah it does.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cheap Vodka posted:

Every game released on the PS3 is required to have trophies now, so yes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cheap Vodka posted:

vvv gently caress yeah. Thanks.

Good luck with your required 3.2 playthroughs of ME1!

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

Zoran posted:

Good luck with your required 3.2 playthroughs of ME1!

That honestly sounds nowhere near as daunting as running through Pinnacle Station again. That and an ME1 insanity run are really the only things I dread about this undertaking. Invincible Krogan warlords aaaaaghhh :negative:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
All three of the full playthroughs have to be completionist runs with the same character too. :shepface:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cheap Vodka posted:

That honestly sounds nowhere near as daunting as running through Pinnacle Station again. That and an ME1 insanity run are really the only things I dread about this undertaking. Invincible Krogan warlords aaaaaghhh

Pinnacle Station literally doesn't exist for the PS3. Shockingly astute move on Bioware's part.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

Zoran posted:

All three of the full playthroughs have to be completionist runs with the same character too. :shepface:

You act as if there's any other kind. I have to scan every mineral and do every Citadel quest. Who knows, those choices might be important in ME3. :shepicide:

precision posted:

Pinnacle Station literally doesn't exist for the PS3. Shockingly astute move on Bioware's part.

Not even as DLC? Ha, guess the team porting it figured it's not worth the effort since everyone hated those missions. Come to think of it, I can't even remember if that gives you EMS points in 3. Shepard doesn't really gain any allies, just a space condo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cheap Vodka posted:

Not even as DLC?

It wasn't available as of when I downloaded the game itself, kinda doubt they'll release it later because literally nobody enjoys it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Cheap Vodka posted:

You act as if there's any other kind. I have to scan every mineral and do every Citadel quest. Who knows, those choices might be important in ME3. :shepicide:
They're all well worth it for your encounter with Conrad Verner in ME3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sombrerotron posted:

They're all well worth it for your encounter with Conrad Verner in ME3.

Was it gibbed who confirmed that the scenes like that were always in the PS3 versions of ME2 and 3 and were just missing flags? I can't find anything on the Internet but I'm 99% sure someone said they were.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Was it gibbed who confirmed that the scenes like that were always in the PS3 versions of ME2 and 3 and were just missing flags? I can't find anything on the Internet but I'm 99% sure someone said they were.

I'd be willing to bet that all of the data exists on the disks. It's just a question of whether or not they unlocked poo poo after ME1 came out on the PS3.

But yeah gibbed would probably know. Or you will after you finish ME1 and go to Illium in ME2.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
So just to double check, the downloadable standalone version of PS3 Mass Effect 1 will be able to save-transfer to original retail disc release version of PS3 Mass Effect 2, yes? That isn't solely limited to the Trilogy release? Because I already own 2 and 3 from when they came out, and just opted to download the first one from the store.

Edit: cool, thanks. I figured they wouldn't make a retard move like that.
VVV

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cyra posted:

So jut to double check, the downloadable standalone version of PS3 Mass Effect 1 will be able to save-transfer to original retail disc release version of PS3 Mass Effect 2, yes? That isn't solely limited to the Trilogy release?

Yes. The Trilogy is literally just a package with the already-released versions of 2 and 3, same DLC included and all.

e: Obviously, you have to patch ME2 (it's a 27mb patch). ME3 doesn't need to be patched.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

sassassin posted:

And I would argue that there is nothing fun about all your powers working all of the time so you can just spam the same poo poo encounter after encounter.

Powers in 3 are 'push button, cool poo poo happens'.

In 2 they were solutions to specific problems. There was at least some (admittedly rather shallow) tactical thought required.

The ship full of armoured husks was rad.

I dunno, the whole thing reminds me of playing a Rogue in Neverwinter Nights 2 and finding out that half the enemies are immune to sneak attacks; I mean, I guess that does force you to think more tactically, but if the entire class is built around one ability, then shutting it down with any regularity means you spend a lot of time not being able to do anything, making you wonder why you bothered playing a rogue at all.

Now to be fair, it's possible to contribute with gunfire even if you're not a combat-oriented class, but generally if I'm playing a class defined by using powers all the time, I'd kind of like to, you know, be able to use those powers all the time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Cheap Vodka posted:

That honestly sounds nowhere near as daunting as running through Pinnacle Station again. That and an ME1 insanity run are really the only things I dread about this undertaking. Invincible Krogan warlords aaaaaghhh :negative:
BDtS is included though. At first I couldn't figure out what Asteroid X57 (or whatever) was, since I'd never bothered to get it on pc or xbox. Then I was like, "oh yeah! Batarians! :haw:"

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

reagan posted:

Good points, but I have a few games that I want to play before I get back to Mass Effect. Maybe in a few months or something. I'm waiting for this last single player DLC to drop (is it the last?) before I buy all of them instead of playing through them piecemeal.

That's fair enough, yeah.
Just wanted to point out that you shouldn't give up on the MP based only on the fact that you can't realistically grind out all the guns and classes anymore, because the game is way too much fun for that :)
Getting rid of the mental barrier that you need specific stuff to really do well might make it a lot more enjoyable again.

And yeah, supposedly there's one more big SP DLC in production and that'll be it, but I'm not sure if that's been 100% officially confirmed, but it's certainly what everybody is betting their money on right now.

Annakie posted:

It honestly feels like there's just not enough combat in ME3 at times.

That was absolutely my impression as well.
Granted, my memory ME2's pacing includes the entire deal, with all the DLC included, and maybe ME2 was similar at launch (and without DLC), but I definitely felt that, at launch, ME3 sorely lacked combat sections. The ones it had were awesome and really good fun (mostly because I think that they really nailed the combat mechanics in ME3), but they were few and far between.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I think the longest combat section in ME3 was Priority:Earth.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Which Mass Effect 3 did you guys play? I remember it being almost nonstop action the entire game, with a few galaxy altering problems resolved via red-or-blue dialogue tree at the end of one here and there. Seems like the polar opposite of the first game.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

precision posted:

The Xbox version isn't changed or fixed at all, and is easily the worst of the lot. The PS3 version runs incredibly smoothly and I haven't encountered any frame rate problems at all. Even the idiots on BSN admit that it's better than the Xbox version; apparently Edge of Reality is a Good Developer despite their history being "a bunch of lovely Tony Hawk and Sims games, and DA: Origins on the PS3/Xbox". To be fair, the console port of Origins was as good as it could be, the problems it had were design decisions on Bioware's end, not decisions on EOR's end (not being able to zoom out, e.g.).

e: In fact, ME1 on PS3 arguably runs better than 2 and 3, though I personally never had issues with those either, aside from cutscenes sometimes being out of sync. ME2 on PS3 was a huge improvement over the 360 version, IMO. Probably due to running on a completely new engine.

Cool, so just to confirm the trilogy version of Mass Effect 3 runs better now on the PS3 compared to the travesty of the original release?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jabarto posted:

I dunno, the whole thing reminds me of playing a Rogue in Neverwinter Nights 2 and finding out that half the enemies are immune to sneak attacks; I mean, I guess that does force you to think more tactically, but if the entire class is built around one ability, then shutting it down with any regularity means you spend a lot of time not being able to do anything, making you wonder why you bothered playing a rogue at all.

I guess it's like that in a broad sense, but in practice every class has abilities that can deal with a range of protection types, supplemented by ally powers/ammo types. And very few levels only feature one enemy type.

ME2 strikes a nice balance between intelligent party selection making a difference to combat effectiveness, while still being able to pick whoever you want even on the highest difficulty. You're not going to find yourself completely stuck anywhere just because you brought Tali and Mordin with you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really wish there was a mode in ME2 that lowered the damage spongey health in the higher difficulties, but kept stuff like armored Husks on the collector ship. Would probably make tactics other than eternal whack-a-mole more enticing.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Wait, I thought the discs in the PS3 trilogy were identical to their original retail releases? Turns out ME3 in the trilogy has been fixed a bunch? I don't get how that works, did they code the entire thing over again, does the original release get a patch, or is whoever bought it when it came out just getting shafted?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Annakie posted:

I've been going back and doing a trilogy playthrough the last month or two and as a Vanguard the difference between ME2 and ME3 combat is night and day. I never charged much with my Vanguard in ME2 in the early release days because I just wasn't good at it and died a lot and it made me feel like I was a lovely player. My goal was to charge a lot more when I got to ME2 and although it was better, it felt like a chore half the time and was still really dangerous sometimes. I still ended up liking staying back and using pull and reave (bonus power) better than charging most of the time. Honestly at times I liked ME1 combat a little more than ME2, just for fun powerspamming.

In ME3 it's all charge, all the time and it's always fun and awesome. Plus I found my new favorite gun *ever* (the shotgun looks like a 20's gangster tommygun). It honestly feels like there's just not enough combat in ME3 at times.

The Point I realised how awesome ME3 vanguard was, was when I realised the best way to beat Banshees was to charge them. Also Brutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cyra posted:

Wait, I thought the discs in the PS3 trilogy were identical to their original retail releases? Turns out ME3 in the trilogy has been fixed a bunch? I don't get how that works, did they code the entire thing over again, does the original release get a patch, or is whoever bought it when it came out just getting shafted?

No, they're the same. I personally had zero problems with the original PS3 releases of 2 and 3, even before their patches.

It's one of those nightmarish situations where some people claim that the games have single-digit framerates and cause their PS3s to explode, and other people have no issues at all. Much like New Vegas in that way, I guess; after the first big patch that came out a week after release I had no problems with it either.

RE: Combat in ME3: the real problem is the incredible lack of enemy variety. All you fight the entire game are a few different types of Cerberus mooks and every now and then some Reaper mooks and once in a blue moon a Brute or Banshee or Ravager or two (but never even close to the amount you fight in a multiplayer Bronze match). I can't even remember, do you ever fight Geth in single player? Gone are the days of fighting Vorcha mercs or Asari Vanguards or other cool things that ME2 had.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
You did fight the Geth, but only in three levels.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

sassassin posted:

I guess it's like that in a broad sense, but in practice every class has abilities that can deal with a range of protection types, supplemented by ally powers/ammo types. And very few levels only feature one enemy type.

I suppose that's true. Maybe my expectations just didn't mesh with the game's design; I thought I'd play a biotic to throw people around like ragdolls or a tech character to blow things up, when the truth is those abilities are just part of a broader skillset.

And it's not like it's horrible, I liked the second game and got a lot of use out of Incinerate while playing an Infiltrator.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Annakie posted:

Charging just wasn't balanced well in ME2 (along with most biotics on higher difficulties). They gave you a cool skill to use, but the entire system penalized getting out of cover. I guess that's why everyone played Soldier.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Tezzeract posted:

Charging just wasn't balanced well in ME2 (along with most biotics on higher difficulties). They gave you a cool skill to use, but the entire system penalized getting out of cover. I guess that's why everyone played Soldier.

It ended up working quite well eventually, what with Charge recharging (:v:) your shields, the huge problem was that you required quite a couple of skill points for it to be reliable enough so you would have to spend the first third of the game or so sitting back and plinking away at enemies, which worked far better with pretty much any other class.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

You played ME2 Vanguard wrong. If you're smart about where your charging and rocking Cryo instead of Inferno, you always have as much cover as you need. (Hint: frozen enemies make great impromptu cover.) I suspect Cryo Vanguards are heavily under-utilized.

But it's true that ME3 Vanguard is self explanatory. Cover is a waste of time and will only slow you down. Ravagers, Banshees, Atlases, Brutes, doesn't matter. Always just charge the hell out of them. Hell, a Vanguard in single player can take 3-4 of any of those. Primes and Harvesters were the only big guys that should be a threat to a Vanguard. And I suspect you could take a Harvester if you were ever allowed to go toe to toe with one.

Edit: True enough, early ME2 Vanguard is a slog. That's all there is to it. If you focus on max Charge, Class Skill, and squad Cryo ASAP, in that order, you can minimize the downtime.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 8, 2012

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
There are a couple of missions in ME3 where Shepard has some auto-dialogue in the middle of the battle, shouting stuff like "Take cover!" and "We have to hold this position!" It really cracked me up playing those missions as a vanguard who never took cover or held any position for more than half a second.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Shepards just trying to help your squadmates feel important and useful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Viperix posted:

Edit: True enough, early ME2 Vanguard is a slog.

- Do Kasumi's mission immediately.
- Use the Locust until you have 3 levels of Charge (which should take you like an hour)

Not super exciting, but far from a slog.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

precision posted:

- Do Kasumi's mission immediately.
- Use the Locust until you have 3 levels of Charge (which should take you like an hour)

Not super exciting, but far from a slog.

To be fair, doing Kasumi's mission early should be a must for every non-Soldier Shepard. That gun is disgustingly good. Too bad it got beaten mercilessly with the Nerf bad for ME3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Geostomp posted:

To be fair, doing Kasumi's mission early should be a must for every non-Soldier Shepard. That gun is disgustingly good. Too bad it got beaten mercilessly with the Nerf bad for ME3.

True story: I have literally never used the Locust, in Single or Multiplayer, in ME3. SMGs are such utter poo poo (except the Hurricane).

It's truly bizarre how many guns they took from ME2, put into ME3, and had them behave completely different from how they were, with only the name and design being the same. See also: Claymore.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

With the way weapon loadouts worked in ME3, I legitimately don't understand the point of SMGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I know this is probably kind of a weird opinion but I actually liked the timing-focused, slow paced combat in ME1. ME3 combat is exhilarating yeah, but you're essentially being forced to start every fight at 30 yards and go from there. It feels faintly ridiculous to be carrying a five foot long sniper rifle with an extended barrel when every mission is essentially close combat. I love that ME1 would have an enemy base in the middle of a huge alien landscape, and you could engage it however you wanted--run right at it and kill everything that moved; peekaboo attacks with your tank from behind a rock; or you could totally perch up on a mountaintop and snipe the sentries in their tower from 1800 yards away.

• Locked thread