Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Phisty posted:

I'm from Ontario?

Thanks that helps a ton. Its an aged beer, so I figured there must be some way to store it without wrecking it. I just don't know much about beer storage and didn't want to be the worst sister ever by gifting him a skunky bottle. I guess I'll just leave it in the wooden container it comes in and wrap it.

Beer is something we did with grain to make it more shelf stable, it's not as fragile as lots of people pretend. Russian Imperial Stouts specifically were literally designed to be sent in ships and ox carts from Northern England to St Petersburg, which apparently took a long time. Avoid getting it too warm, but we're talking like under 30C here. Don't set it next to the fireplace and you'll be fine. The less you jostle it / more you keep it upright, the better, but it's not nitroglycerine and it won't hurt the beer to be jostled around, it will just need some time to settle back down. Honestly that big dark strong beer you'll have a pretty hard time doing too much damage to in 3 weeks even if you tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

danbanana posted:

Where you're from is important re: what beer you were possibly looking at/for because of distribution issues. But it seems you have a candidate and a location to buy so you're good. Nothing you can do to it in normal handling procedures could ruin it so no worries. Just don't put it in an oven then freeze it or something insane like that.
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Angry Grimace posted:

The only beers that typically that come in bottles that offer no protection from UV rays are industrial European/Mexican lagers. Just keep it in your box and keep it at a temperature which is comfortable to normal people and it won't be a problem at all.
Ah! That explains why the Corona I used to love when I was a teen got so nasty so quickly.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just received 2 interesting sounding beers through a Rare Beer Club membership that was gifted to me for my birthday:

Jester King Gotlandsdricka and To Ol Sans Frontiere

Both sound...interesting...if not enjoyable. Mostly looking forward to the Sans Frontiere after its had another few months of age on it, as it sounds like it would be somewhat like a heavily noble hopped Orval or something.

I don't really know what to expect from the Golandsdricka, but I do know that if it's similar to DFH Sah'tea then it may be tough for me to get through. Although I will say that the label is extremely bad rear end.

Anyone in the thread have experience with these two?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 7, 2012

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Some of Stoudt's labels remind me of the awfulness of Weyerbacher's labels

This one is really only bad because of the blown out colors

This one though...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Phisty posted:

Ah! That explains why the Corona I used to love when I was a teen got so nasty so quickly.

The only exception to this is Miller, who have clear bottles but use a processed hop extract called tetra hop that's had the chemical responsible for skunking removed. Along with most of the flavor but, hey, Miller isn't really that interested in hop aroma. Though now some of the micro guys are interested in the stuff, too, because of its effects on foaming and head formation.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RiggenBlaque posted:

This one though...

Is the best ever?

The traditional bok bier goat with the silly pun, I don't know why but it cracks me up. Tasty beer also.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

zedprime posted:

Weyerbacher went from trapper keeper level to deviant art level. I mean sure its an improvement but you have to feel sorry that they spent money on that stuff and it only came out that good.

You have to understand though that the people who paid good money on the art also were content for a long time with the old artwork. No matter what they threw at the artists, if they have awful taste, they're more likely to say "Yeah that looks amazing!"

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
The new Merry Monks label is bordering on creepy for me, the main monk looks like he's got more to hide than sneaking beers. But at least it looks better.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dumptruckzzz posted:

The new Merry Monks label is bordering on creepy for me, the main monk looks like he's got more to hide than sneaking beers. But at least it looks better.

I literally just saw this at the store like 30 minutes ago since we were talking about it earlier. Holy poo poo, creepy is right.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

dumptruckzzz posted:

Just saw this the other day.

:stare:

It's kind of sad because the concept for the label isn't horrible per se, but the execution is just amateur as all hell.

Fake Edit: Hoppin' Frog still holds the all-time record in my book for most awful label art. My girlfriend hates their labels so much that she gets annoyed at me when I bring B.O.R.I.S. home.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

This is the old one, right? Because this is way creepier than the new one if only because- briefly glancing- it looks like a couple of those monks are having, um, bladder issues.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I really can't figure out what the gently caress is up with that BeerAdvocate nonsense on every review where they have to add in "poured into a Gulden Draak Chalice blessed by Pope Benedict." It used to be just a humorous thing that really spergy BA members would do, but now it seems like almost 80% of the posters need to engage in this bit of mental masturbation. Not to mention, the reviews are just as trashy as ever and have almost gotten worse with describing every beer like a spice rack combined with the entirety of the produce section.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I really can't figure out what the gently caress is up with that BeerAdvocate nonsense on every review where they have to add in "poured into a Gulden Draak Chalice blessed by Pope Benedict." It used to be just a humorous thing that really spergy BA members would do, but now it seems like almost 80% of the posters need to engage in this bit of mental masturbation. Not to mention, the reviews are just as trashy as ever and have almost gotten worse with describing every beer like a spice rack combined with the entirety of the produce section.

Beer Advocate is the unkempt anus of the internet beer world. I only go there periodically, to read moronic flame wars on the message boards and shake my head at the sad sacks who literally follow the beer delivery van around. It's just loving beer, for god's sake.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mikey Purp posted:

Just received 2 interesting sounding beers through a Rare Beer Club membership that was gifted to me for my birthday:

Jester King Gotlandsdricka and To Ol Sans Frontiere

Both sound...interesting...if not enjoyable. Mostly looking forward to the Sans Frontiere after its had another few months of age on it, as it sounds like it would be somewhat like a heavily noble hopped Orval or something.

I don't really know what to expect from the Golandsdricka, but I do know that if it's similar to DFH Sah'tea then it may be tough for me to get through. Although I will say that the label is extremely bad rear end.

Anyone in the thread have experience with these two?

I had the Sans Frontiere last night, pretty tasty. Kind of in the Orval-ish style. Dry, hoppy, belgian, a little funk. I enjoyed it but I should have let it age longer. Haven't opened up the Gotlandsdricka from JK yet.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MOA from New Zealand just started distributing over here. I got to try their Pinot Noir barrel aged imperial stout and that had some pretty huge vinous qualities in it. Also tried Sixpoint's Wakatu in their Spice of Life series on draft, and man that would have been a kick rear end summer beer.

What else is interesting out of NZ to be on the lookout for? Really looks like they're up-and-coming and more stuff is headed our way. Plus the more balanced flavors from the hops they use down there are a nice change of pace compared to the huge rear end bitter grenades that have been on the uptick the past few years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What's good from Evil Twin? I have started to see it everywhere. I had Lil B and it was.....ok. Tell me there's better stuff out there.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Mahoning posted:

What's good from Evil Twin? I have started to see it everywhere. I had Lil B and it was.....ok. Tell me there's better stuff out there.

It's all pretty weird but the right answer is Imperial. Biscotti. Break.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

It's all pretty weird but the right answer is Imperial. Biscotti. Break.

Pretty much this. It might be tough to find as it goes pretty quick when it hits shelves (at least in Chicago), but it's quite unique and definitely worth trying at least once.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Mahoning posted:

I had The Cowboy last night, and it was great - a smoked pilsner of all things. Shouldn't have worked at all, but it did. I have a Yin and a Yang sitting in my cellar, I should probably get around to trying them out...

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Drinking Panil Barriquee, a Flanders red made by...Italians and aged in Bordeaux barrels. It's fantastic, just the right balance between oak, sour cherry, and funk. Definitely be recommended though a bit pricey (thanks amex sbs discount)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mahoning posted:

I liked Freudian Slip quite a bit as an American barleywine. The interesting thing about ET is that everything the "make" that I've liked was brewed by Westbrook. Everything else has been bleh.

Speaking of barleywines, tonight my quiet night in will feature a series of them: New Glarus' (I think it's an '11?), DFH's Olde School ('10, I hope this got better with age because I didn't like it fresh at all), and Dieu Du Ciel's Solstice d’Hiver. Love, love, love the DDC...

Last night, wandered into my local bar for the first time in weeks and got a few interesting things.

Allagash's Interlude was further proof that they're a completely competent brewery that can't seem to make something that is exemplary.

Against the Grain's Gnag Reflex, a mild sour brown brewed with cherries. I would have liked a 12 oz pour more than the pint they served.

Perennial's Abraxas. I had the BA'd version at FOBAB and thought it had way too strong of a cinnamon presence. This was not as prevalent and the peppers came out a little more. Like Black Metal and Imperial Biscotti Break, though, this comes off as a dessert beer, one step from being on par with Southern Tier's Blackwater series. Good but somewhat limited in when you want to enjoy one.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Drinking Panil Barriquee, a Flanders red made by...Italians and aged in Bordeaux barrels. It's fantastic, just the right balance between oak, sour cherry, and funk. Definitely be recommended though a bit pricey (thanks amex sbs discount)

Sounds rad enough to pick up. I'm digging Flanderseseses a lot lately.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just opened up a Three Philosophers that I've had sitting around for quite a while in the bottom of my kegerator. I don't think I've had it in at least 2 years and I'd forgotten how good it is.

I can't get over the tobacco and cherry notes in it. It's just all around amazing.

Now I have like 500 more mL's to drink :v:

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Not calling you out here in the least, but you reminded me that I tried it a few nights ago. I don't see what the hubbub is, and I actually ended up sending it back less than halfway through. This is the first time I have ever sent a drink back. Ever. It was a boozy, over-spiced cherry mess to me-- and I'm usually a fan of strong ales. I felt it neither hid the alcohol or incorporated it into the flavor profile. It just... languished. And the 6 packs of it around here are bizarrely inflated in price, which just makes me even more bitter about it. Can't really hate on Troegs, though. Flying Mouflan is the bees' knees.

Luckily that got replaced with an Old Rasputin on nitro. Dear loving lord that's dangerous, and is the first beer I've truly enjoyed on nitro. Between that and learning they've got Legend barleywine available for growler fills for $12.50 on Thursday, well, I know what I'm drinking this weekend.
I can see why some people wouldn't like it, for sure. It's no big deal. I haven't tried any of Troeg's other offerings though so if I see em around I'll give it a shot.

You're right about the six pack price inflation.. Jesus christ, 8 a bottle for Mad Elf is the biggest ripoff since god knows what the gently caress. Some dive bar around here had a sixer for like $15 when it first dropped.. I should've just flipped the drat thing.

Last year my brother got a case of 24 Mad Elf for $40. At most stores, it's like 45$ for a six pack now. :wtf: I don't get it, it's not like it's an extremely limited run or anything. Hell it'd be cheaper and better to get a pack of FBS.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Update! The Olde School I have turns out to be a 2009, meaning I opened the oldest beer I had left in my collection! It also is turning out to be... really good. Other than the smell, there's nothing to detect that this was once a near-undrinkable booze bomb. Very smooth, if a hair overly sweet (as one would expect).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'd e-mail Troegs, I'm sure they wouldn't take kindly to that extreme mark up. I'm glad none of the stores around here are scumbags like that. Speaking of Troegs, I don't like any of their year round beers. They're all pretty boring, hell even their seasonals are weak. I don't get how they won mid-sized brewery of the year.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

global tetrahedron posted:

Beer Advocate is the unkempt anus of the internet beer world. I only go there periodically, to read moronic flame wars on the message boards and shake my head at the sad sacks who literally follow the beer delivery van around. It's just loving beer, for god's sake.

Not necessarily directed at you, but the group as a whole. What sites/blogs do you guys follow? It seems like I always forget what time of the year it is and when poo poo comes out. It would be nice to be able to throw a good site into my RSS feed that I can read daily and be like, " Oh poo poo, suchandsuch beer is released in a couple weeks. Better add something in my calender."

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 8, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

I don't get how they won mid-sized brewery of the year.

If I had to hazard a guess, Nugget Nectar.

VVVVV Yes absolutely. Those two, and Flying Mouflan, make them stand out.

Manky fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 8, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nugget Nectar is excellent, and Hopback is pretty spectacular when it's fresh.

e: Troegs is run by some really cool guys, too. Both of the Trogner guys talked to me for about half an hour when I was there.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 8, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

CancerStick posted:

Not necessarily directed at you, but the group as a whole. What sites/blogs do you guys follow? It seems like I always forget what time of the year it is and when poo poo comes out. It would be nice to be able to throw a good site into my RSS feed that I can read daily and be like, " Oh siht, suchandsuch beer is released in a couple weeks. Better add something in my calender."

I RSS the Beerpulse blog. I'll admit to going to BeerAdvocate for quick information, but only because the site seems more responsive and better designed than RateBeer.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Troegenator is fantastic loving beer, IMO

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And Perpetual is year-round now as well. It's pretty damned good.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

drat it, Tank 7, how can you be so damned good every time? I thought you're the temperamental tank!
Seriously, good loving beer. Every time.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

What else is interesting out of NZ to be on the lookout for? Really looks like they're up-and-coming and more stuff is headed our way. Plus the more balanced flavors from the hops they use down there are a nice change of pace compared to the huge rear end bitter grenades that have been on the uptick the past few years.

i liked the couple of 8-wired beers i've tried.

Mahoning posted:

Evil Twin is pretty hit-or-miss. i like some of his stouts quite a bit and would drink them regularly if they were cheaper, particularly the Jesus beers, Yin, and the two Soft beers. Imperial Biscotti Break is also really good, but i'm not quite as stoked for it as a lot of people seem to be.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
My first Evil Twin experience was Katz Pis, and I was assured that it wasn't an infection and the beer was supposed to be like that. It took a lot of convincing to persuade me that they were worth a second chance, but they do some decent stuff. The price is too high, though. It still occupies a better space for me than Baying Hound, which I am convinced is a front for an infection factory.

RE: Panil Barrique - good beer, but you can get 1.5+ better sours for those prices around here (NoVA).

And for the Troegs discussion - Nugget Nectar is one of the best, Perpetual is fantastic, Troegenator and Hopback are very good, and Dead Reckoning is excellent. Their average or worse (ie Mad Elf) offerings seem to be in a minority imo.

e: vvvvvv Victory never gets enough love, but in spite of what I find to be incredible packaging (for longevity, not aesthetic) they seem to be subject to horrible mistreatment by beer store employees (a large chain in particular). I don't really get it, but there are too many dusty old bottles of IPA and IIPA.

Maine Beer is good, but I agree about the hype and price.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 8, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I actually forgot about Nugget Nectar and Troegenator, one of my favorite all-time beers. Still I don't see how they won over other breweries that are better all-around like Victory for instance. I'm sure Troegs guys are awesome, but there's only two beers I love, Flying Mouflan is good, but I don't love it. The rest of their beers I think are forgettable.

I'm drinking MO now from Maine Beer Co and it's got a nice tropical and citrus hop profile, but it's too expensive for me to love. It's a very solid beer though and I think it's worth trying.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

I'm drinking MO now from Maine Beer Co and it's got a nice tropical and citrus hop profile, but it's too expensive for me to love. It's a very solid beer though and I think it's worth trying.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do the Maine Beer Co beers run? I've heard several people call them expensive, so I was just wondering.

Hoppin' Frog is a local brewery to me, and they're one of the most expensive around, so I can't imagine it's much more than what they charge. I really wish HF would start to offer 4/6 packs of some of their beers... buying only bombers gets annoying. Even to get a growler of their beer it's like $25-$30.

E: In other news, I'm barely drinking any beer this week because I'm going to be spending $85 on some Westys on Wednesday. I really can't wait to try a bottle of it, it will be my first time. The only other quad I've drank is Rochefort 10 so I'm a bit of a noob... I think I will probably pick up a St. Bernardus to drink side by side.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 8, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I actually forgot about... one of my favorite all-time beers.

Yup.

RE: Maine... Maybe I'm just used to paying higher prices, but $8-$10 for a 500 ml isn't completely unheard of. That calc's out to around a $10 to $13 bomber. People flock to pay that for FFF stuff and I think MO is better than most FFF's attempts at pale ales.

Caselogic.com
Jan 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

I actually forgot about Nugget Nectar and Troegenator, one of my favorite all-time beers. Still I don't see how they won over other breweries that are better all-around like Victory for instance. I'm sure Troegs guys are awesome, but there's only two beers I love, Flying Mouflan is good, but I don't love it. The rest of their beers I think are forgettable.

Victory is definitely the better overall brewery, but Troegs is great for anyone within a reasonable range of the brewery. They do at least 15 one-off releases a year with the Scratch series which aren't always great, but at least are interesting. They have a tripel out right now, and had Naked Elf earlier this year, which was Mad Elf without all the sweet ingredients and was toned down in the boozey taste.Growler fills are usually really cheap there too. The Nugget Nectar batches are supposed to significantly larger than last year too, and last year it was finally possible to get a few cases without reserving them/winning lotteries, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I live in NY state, and my downstairs neighbor works for a badass local brewery. I am going back to Austin, TX for the holidays and I would like to bring him back a 12-pack (or so) of excellent beers that can't be bought up here. What would guys recommend?

I'm probably going to come back with a case of shiner because I love and miss it, but I didn't really get "into" beer until I moved up here so I don't know that much about Texas craft beers.